dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-19 12:30:39: While the MPAA decried yesterday's SOPA/PIPA protests as a "publicity stunt," it seems clear that the protests did have their intended effect, with at least 18 Senators having withdrawn support for SOPA. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to newview

to newview

Re: I apologise ...

I thought he pulled his support.

I noticed Mikulski is quiet about it.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain

Re: Thanks

would have been nice to have had more updates. barely saw any coverage.
ArrayList

ArrayList to gaforces

Premium Member

to gaforces

Re: Teaching respect for ip

what are you talking about??? How do teachers not respect IP?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 edit

newview to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy

He said he would not vote for it in it's present format, but still co-sponsors PIPA.

EDIT: After further research I see that he did in fact drop co-sponsorship for PIPA early yesterday afternoon, and now opposes it; "after hearing from constituents". I'm glad he finally saw the light.

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· nate.ars

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to whataname

Premium Member

to whataname

Re: United States Gross National Product 2010

said by whataname :

I appreciate your intention, but this just gives them ammo. They represent a significant portion of our GNP - Our country is heavily invested in the entertainment sector and a great deal of our GNP is entertainment industry based.

And the bill isn't just movies and music. It is also the drug industry, book publishers(paper & online), banking, perfume companies, MLB, NFL, NHL, Tennis Assoc, etc, etc.
»www.politicolnews.com/li ··· 14-2012/
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

3 recommendations

Rekrul

More, more, more...

Don't any of the SOPA supporters (here, not in the entertainment industry or DC) find it disturbing that no matter how many 'rights' copyright holders are given, it's NEVER enough?

Copyright was originally supposed to last 14 years, renewable for another 14 years. 28 years total was the entire length of copyright. And that covered publication only.

The entertainment industry has gone back to the government over a dozen times begging that copyright be extended. We now have things like performance rights, broadcast rights, streaming rights, etc., and copyright holders are allowed to impose all sorts of limitations on what can be done with their products. Copyright today is such a mess that probably half of the movie studios' catalogs of movies can't be released on DVD because nobody knows how to work out all the rights to them. Hundreds, maybe thousands of old films sit in vaults rotting away because of copyrights.

The supreme court just ruled yesterday that corporations can take works out of the public domain and put them back under copyright! So not only do the corporations refuse to contribute anything to the public domain (which is where all copyrighted works are supposed to end up after a limited time), they now get to take public domain works and re-claim them, making criminals out of everyone who had been legally using those works.

Yet, despite having all these rights which go far, far beyond what the original creators of copyright ever intended, it's not enough.

So what will be enough? When copyright lasts forever? When the public domain no longer exists? When fair use has been outlawed? When copyright infringers are executed for the first offense?

Honestly, how much is enough?

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert

Re: Google anti-SOPA/PIPA actions will disappear soon

said by Robert:

Have you read your signature lately?

Not everything can be based on 1 statement.

I like small government. But I am also patriotic and want a military that can defend our country - even if it costs more than I like. I hate thieves(and copyright infringers) and want them prosecuted - even if it isn't always cost effective. I'd like healthcare to be cheaper, but not at the expense of the gov't calling all the shots on whether I get to live or die in a cost effective manner. I want illegal immigrants found and deported and I want those who knowingly hire them jailed, even though it would be government that has to perform that function at a cost. Etc, etc, etc. In other words, attempts to pigeonhole a group you don't like should not resort to the poor tactics of picking 1 item of something they support and then using that as some std of purity to measure every one of their goals. The world is not black and white, it is gray.

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164

The threats keeps coming

We now see where the real power is. After the WH said they wouldn't support it Hollywood shot back big time. I may want the current occupant of the WH out. What we have here is Blackmail pure and simple. I know this won't happen but would be nice if the Justice Dept (I know what justice) would do a full rectal exam of the whole entertainment industry. A man can dream can't he.

»www.deadline.com/2012/01 ··· y-stand/

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

2 recommendations

pnh102 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

All the laws in the world won't change a thing. The Internet has been a complete game-changer to the way the content industry does business. To a certain extent, the music industry has adapted, even though Apple now holds them by the balls, but the movie industry hasn't.

I still do not subscribe to the notion that each incidence of piracy is equal a lost sale. There is no proof whatsoever that people who pirate content would have otherwise purchased it legitimately if piracy were not an option.

I do hold to the fact that like the DMCA, all SOPA/PIPA will do is make life miserable for legitimate users of copyrighted content. The same content industry that gave us the DMCA still clings to the idea that you need to buy a separate copy of the same content if you want to use it in different places, and still believes that you are a criminal should you decide to break the DRM restrictions on legitimately purchased content so that you can use it in non-infringing ways (sorry RIAA, but ripping a track off a CD you bought so you can listen to it in the car without ruining the original disk is NOT piracy).

The push for yet another law just reminds of the push for more gun control laws. In both situations, none of the present laws are effective, the ones in place don't seem to be enforced, and the only people who are impacted are legitimate users who simply wish to exercise their rights.

Enough is enough.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

The world is not black and white, it is gray.

The RIAA/MPAA doesn't see it that way. To them, the world is black and white.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Not over either.

These acts will return again.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy

said by moonpuppy:

Outside of the Google petition I didn't bother contacting either of them. Babs doesn't care about you if don't in Montgomery, PG or Baltimore counties or in Baltimore itself. Cardin might just send me a form letter thanking me for contacting him but that's about it.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

said by pnh102:

All the laws in the world won't change a thing. The Internet has been a complete game-changer to the way the content industry does business. To a certain extent, the music industry has adapted, even though Apple now holds them by the balls, but the movie industry hasn't.

I still do not subscribe to the notion that each incidence of piracy is equal a lost sale. There is no proof whatsoever that people who pirate content would have otherwise purchased it legitimately if piracy were not an option.

I do hold to the fact that like the DMCA, all SOPA/PIPA will do is make life miserable for legitimate users of copyrighted content. The same content industry that gave us the DMCA still clings to the idea that you need to buy a separate copy of the same content if you want to use it in different places, and still believes that you are a criminal should you decide to break the DRM restrictions on legitimately purchased content so that you can use it in non-infringing ways (sorry RIAA, but ripping a track off a CD you bought so you can listen to it in the car without ruining the original disk is NOT piracy).

The push for yet another law just reminds of the push for more gun control laws. In both situations, none of the present laws are effective, the ones in place don't seem to be enforced, and the only people who are impacted are legitimate users who simply wish to exercise their rights.

Enough is enough.

I haven't defended all the copyright law features. No one has. Not even the RIAA or MPAA. But opponents like to take the position that if copyright law isn't perfect, then there should be no copyright at all. Many of those opponents do subscribe to the entitlement theory that "IF they can steal it; they should be allowed to". The solution isn't all or nothing. The copyright laws need changing, especially for length of time and use by 1 person over many devices. So lobby for those changes. But enforcing copyright restrictions IS NEEDED, especially from those overseas who feel that stealing from the RICH USA is justified.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

newview to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by moonpuppy:

Outside of the Google petition I didn't bother contacting either of them. Babs doesn't care about you if don't in Montgomery, PG or Baltimore counties or in Baltimore itself. Cardin might just send me a form letter thanking me for contacting him but that's about it.

Yeah ... I got one of those form letters about a month or so ago when I sent him a letter about his short-sighted sponsorship of PIPA. I agree about our representatives only caring about their backyard constituents ... after all, they still seem to consider us here on the Shore as the "shithouse of an Eastern Shore".
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to FFH5

to FFH5

Hate the game, not the player.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
You & Coldmoon pretty much sum it up.

Use the tools you have now in an effective & responsible way, then we MIGHT consider giving you more.

Make it so that legitimate purchasers can use their content as they see fit.

Making the parallel to gun control is a good argument. The government doesn't enforce the laws that are on the books, but they want to make it harder for legitimate folks to exercise their rights...

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to newview

Premium Member

to newview

said by newview:

... after all, they still seem to consider us here on the Shore as the "shithouse of an Eastern Shore".

I remember seeing a bumper sticker to that effect, on a car with a Delaware license plate.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to ArrayList

to ArrayList

By getting media for free and bragging about it. Just the fact they get it free is noticed by students so they figure if the teacher can do it, why cant I?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

That comment alienated a lot of people in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia (DelMarVa) and somewhat resurrected the talk on the Eastern Shore of seceding from the Union.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to mech1164

Premium Member

to mech1164

DOJ arrests 7 for infringement

»online.wsj.com/article_e ··· yWj.html

Seven people have been charged with online piracy crimes in an indictment unsealed in northern Virginia. Four of those suspects are already in custody, authorities said.

The four were arrested in New Zealand. Federal agents and other law enforcement agencies simultaneously moved to search bank records and server farms in multiple locations around the globe, authorities said. The charges include conspiracy to commit racketeering and criminal copyright infringement.

According to the indictment, megaupload is responsible for at least $500 million in losses for the owners of the copyrights in question.

The indictment calls the company "a worldwide criminal organization whose members engaged in criminal copyright infringement and money laundering on a massive scale.''

Investigators estimate that megaupload's piracy business has earned them more than $175 million, according to the indictment.

The DOJ press release:
»www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2 ··· 074.html

Anti-SOPA sentiment hasn't stopped the long arm of US justice from reaching around the world.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to gaforces

Premium Member

to gaforces

Wow. that is a stretch.
calathea
join:2001-12-29
Scio, OR

1 recommendation

calathea

To be nitpicky,

It's "backpedal", like pedaling backwards on a tricycle to go backward, not "backpeddle"
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned) to ArrayList

to ArrayList

What do you mean? What stretch? It's a logical conclusion based on years of studying this problem.

Thats just the tip o the iceberg, since pirating has legs of its own now.
Expand your moderator at work
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

1 edit

WernerSchutz to FFH5

to FFH5

Desdinova
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

Desdinova to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Yup, same here. After getting the identical form letter concerning two different tech-related issues, I've given up on any kind of meaningful dialogue with the officials I didn't elect (and yes, I vote *grin*).

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

That comment alienated a lot of people in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia (DelMarVa) and somewhat resurrected the talk on the Eastern Shore of seceding from the Union.

You guys gotta embrace the term... I can understand the term "shithouse" is in itself quite offensive and caustic... but you can call me a proud Fredneck any day of the week.

Jackie
@bmo.com

Jackie to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

I haven't defended all the copyright law features. No one has. Not even the RIAA or MPAA. But opponents like to take the position that if copyright law isn't perfect, then there should be no copyright at all.

There really shouldn't be any copyright law at all. Or at least, nothing other than restrictions regarding commercial use. "Copyright" is an artificial entity creating value by restricting thought, nothing more. (Intellectual property is nothing more than data, information, and ultimately thought.) By trying to tell people what they can copy or not, view or not, and if they could manage it, think about or not, they're ultimately attempting to control how we think.
Companies need to realize this anachronistic business model of artificially limiting a free resource to increase value is never going to work in the digital age. They are fighting a losing battle. What they need to do is provide tangible value, something that doesn't need artificial legal restrictions to back up its demand. This is inevitable - they will adapt or die out. "Piracy" is growing, not shrinking. People are learning that information is as free as the bandwidth it takes to acquire it. The cat is out of the bag, and no amount of government wrangling is ever getting it back in.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 recommendation

Noah Vail to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I hate thieves(and copyright infringers) and want them prosecuted - even if it isn't always cost effective.

Then we can expect you to speak out against these copyright violators and call for their accounting; under the full measure of the law.

If your position has any credibility, that is what you will do.
quote:
This is a screencap of PIPA co-sponsor Roy Blunt's Twitter page from a couple of days ago.
The background image is by photographer Walter Rowland. I spoke to his wife Linny, and she told me:

"Wow, I'm so surprised to see that someone would do this. Especially a senator! It's even more of a violation because I'm actually in the photo so it's as if I'm supporting his beliefs. Yes, that's one of my husband's photos who is actually a semi-professional photographer, and no, they weren't given permission."

Roy has since changed the background on his Twitter in an attempt to cover his tracks.

This is PIPA supporter and Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill's Twitter page as it appears right now.
And this is the background image she stole from Flickr user J. Stephen Conn, who told me this:

"I do not recall giving the senator permission to use this photo on her Twitter account. I have put the photo in the Creative Commons, which means anyone may use it for non-commercial purposes, however, proper attribution of the photo should be given because it is NOT in the public domain."

The above screencap shows the homepage of Florida congressman/SOPA co-sponsor/probable PIPA supporter Dennis Ross' website.
Which features the appropriately titled illustration "Overweight Government Pig" by cartoonist John S. Pritchett. You'll notice that Dennis cropped out the part where it says "© John Pritchett". We contacted John, and he told us:

"To my knowledge, I did not license the usage of my "Overweight Govt. Pig" illustration to Dennis Ross."
Thanks to dave See Profile, whose post brought it to my attention.
That's more attribution than the 'thieving' PIPA supporters bother to give.

NV

reub2000
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Evanston, IL

reub2000 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList

*whoosh*
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next