dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-20 09:00:28: Aside from the faster speeds offered courtesy of LTE, users should ultimately come to expect higher quality voice service over wireless networks, courtesy of VoLTE. ..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Why VoLTE?

Here is a nice writeup over why VoLTE is the carrier choice when it isn't necessary.
»www.tellabs.com/blog/ind ··· -options

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp

WHY?

Why didn't they just start with VoLTE?
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Lots of technical issues apparently. 911, call handoffs, etc.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Handsets

So does anyone know when compatible handsets are going to hit the market or if any current models can be updated to use VoLTE? I seem to recall at least one of them already being capable of doing it, but I can't recall which one.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by ISurfTooMuch:

So does anyone know when compatible handsets are going to hit the market or if any current models can be updated to use VoLTE? I seem to recall at least one of them already being capable of doing it, but I can't recall which one.

From what I read, Any smartphone with LTE radios can be software updated to support VoLTE voice.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: WHY?

They should probably get 100% of existing footprint to LTE before rolling out VoLTE. Might be difficult to do CDMA/VoLTE handoffs.

Unless VZW/Sprint plan to stay with CDMA forever, they'll eventually have to get to VoLTE. CDMA will still probably be around about another 10 years or so either way.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Handsets

That would make sense, since you're just talking about manipulating bits.

But I seriously doubt my Thunderbolt will get such an update, since it's getting a bit long in the tooth, but my upgrade date isn't until December, so I have time to see how things shake out.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to SysOp

to SysOp

Re: WHY?

With all the problems they've had with their LTE network, I'm very glad they choose to delay VoLTE, wait until the network is complete and they don't have to worry about LTE to cdma handoff's which as a current lte user can be rocky sometimes.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium Member
join:2002-12-05

Somnambul33t to SysOp

Premium Member

to SysOp
it's not as simple as flicking a switch...it's basically a whole new voice network IIRC

Jon Geb
Long time member
join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

Jon Geb to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Handsets

It will probably just be a very intergrated version of googlevoice. Better sound quality and seemless.

Verizon then can work at sunsetting CDMA and use that bandwidth for LTE.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

old

Funny thing is, they've had higher def voice in other countries for a few years now.. We are WAY behind on data and voice quality in this country with all the crony capitalism here.. True capitalism we'd have hi def along time ago and much higher or unlimited caps...

FREEDOM! :-p

Guess we have to take the good with the bad