dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-26 08:46:13: AT&T released their fourth quarter earnings, posting a fourth quarter net loss of $6.7 billion, or $1.12 a share, on revenue of $32. ..

ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

un-upgraded markets only? what about the BPON ones?

Over at the U-verse forum, you can notice quite a number of people with true Fibre To The end-User leaving AT&T's pathetic 18/1.5 over to the cable land. AT&T offers 24/3 only to copper customers.

Yes, AT&T has 622Mbps/155Mbps 1:32 BPON in some locations, where the bandwidth of 622Mbps is shared merely between 32 users max with full overprovisioning support, and they still won't provision it with any reasonable HSI speeds like Verizon would with their very similar FiOS! Speeds of 80/20 and 40/10 are easy, or even go 25/25, but instead they'll give you 18/1.5 max over BPON! I know, 'cause I have it myself, haven't switched just yet, but very close to!

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth

Premium Member

Keep complaining. The best I can get is still 3 mbps DSL. 6 mbps won't work on my line, for some reason (I had it for a couple of months and it was awful - the 3 mbps is actually faster). Now, if I inquire on their upgrade page, the 6 is no longer even offered to me.

No Uverse, nor even any hint that it might be coming.

Tim

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

AT&T and Verizon down; Apple up big; coincidence?

Both At&t and Verizon had big smartphone sales and big jumps in wireless customers and paid huge amounts of money up front for subsidized iPhones. Both lost money on the qtr while Apple made more money in a qtr than they ever did. Apple is the god.

But both Verizon & AT&T will bounce back nicely this qtr as all those iPhone users pay big dividends for going over caps on data plans.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM to timcuth

to timcuth

Re: un-upgraded markets only? what about the BPON ones?

Imagine they still offered to you only 1Mbps when 3Mbps was already possible on your line and equipment (as we know it is), and where you could already get 3Mbps even through mobile networks. See the difference?

My T-Mobile USA phone often does more than 2× the upload speed of the fastest speed AT&T U-verse offers over fibre. Even AT&T's own mobile networks are capable of speeds well in excess of 1.5Mbps upload that they offer over fibre.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to FFH5

News Guy

to FFH5

Re: AT&T and Verizon down; Apple up big; coincidence?

Both AT&T and Verizon also took significant hits due to pension accounting changes...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Prices going up

The "We blew out load not acquiring T-Mobile" recovery fee.
Somebody has to pay for it.. and isn't the shareholders.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

U-verse tv growth slowing

In the year ago quarter it was 246,000 adds compared to the current 208,000.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to ConstantineM

to ConstantineM

Karl is injecting his own assumptions into the story.

Given AT&T's reputation with the editorial staff here, I'm surprised the story wasn't spun differently. I thought U-Verse caps were evil enough to prevent conversion and subscription in upgradable areas. Who is to say?

The report does not attribute financial losses to the net loss of wireline broadband subscribers, only voice.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr to timcuth

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

Keep complaining. The best I can get is still 3 mbps DSL.

Consider yourself lucky.. I barely get 1.5Mbps(DSL down) and that's only because the Uverse customer across the street moved out and disconnected.

Naturally, every time AT&T calls up to claim they can give Uverse, it's a bald faced lie.. I tell them to check my phone number and they suddenly discover all they can offer is the same old crappy DSL service.

Soon I will be dumping Both Megapath/AT&T in dumpster when I disconnect my land line and go wireless.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth
Even in the areas where the AT&T U-Verse is available, over copper or FTTP- most people can not get it. Even in large cities like Milwaukee,WI... for that matter, I only qualify for 3 Meg aDSL service. [Which IMHO is too slow- I admit I have 10 Meg cable for about $30 /month..]

I did have it looked into locally- they would have to run about 600 feet of new copper from my house to the VRAD- and bypass existing cabling. [The residents on the other side of the street where I live can get service- however no one for 5-6 blocks headed the other way can.]

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: AT&T and Verizon down; Apple up big; coincidence?

said by FFH5:

Both At&t and Verizon had big smartphone sales and big jumps in wireless customers and paid huge amounts of money up front for subsidized iPhones. Both lost money on the qtr while Apple made more money in a qtr than they ever did. Apple is the god.

Seems I am not the only one who has noticed this:
»news.cnet.com/8301-1035_ ··· 1_3-0-20

Furthermore, the telecom companies get to wrap themselves in the hip vibe that Apple brings to its products and partners, and can you put a price on being cool?
Apparently, you can, and it's a steep one. The dilemma for the carriers is that with each successful quarter of iPhone sales, there is a corresponding hit to their profit as a result of the extra subsidies paid out, as illustrated by Verizon and AT&T's fourth-quarter results. (Sprint Nextel hasn't reported yet, but will likely see a similar impact.)

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90 to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues

Re: Prices going up

U-verse has had an annual price increase every year. Nothing to do with the T Mobile deal falling through.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to elray

Premium Member

to elray

said by elray:

Given AT&T's reputation with the editorial staff here, I'm surprised the story wasn't spun differently. I thought U-Verse caps were evil enough to prevent conversion and subscription in upgradable areas. Who is to say?

Thats why I didn't sign up.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to elray

Premium Member

to elray
said by elray:

Given AT&T's reputation with the editorial staff here, I'm surprised the story wasn't spun differently.

That's because AT&T's U-verse caps don't work yet.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to tkdslr

Premium Member

to tkdslr
said by tkdslr:

Soon I will be dumping Both Megapath/AT&T in dumpster when I disconnect my land line and go wireless.

When you go wireless, be sure to take a lot of money with you.

Tim
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

forest gump

stupid is as stupid does, Forest!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =related

A CEO making tens of millions made a STUPID DECISION.. having an important job doesn't make you a wise person automatically.
tkdslr
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr to timcuth

to timcuth

It looks like I''ll be saving approximately ($55+$27+$8) - ($30+$8) == $53 a month.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

The best uverse I could get in illinois

With self-install for hsi only, is only 6mb without reconditioning line which would require pro install. Even though website said I could get up to 12 mb on self-install. And worst part - waiting few weeks for activation.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

said by chgo_man99:

With self-install for hsi only, is only 6mb without reconditioning line which would require pro install. Even though website said I could get up to 12 mb on self-install. And worst part - waiting few weeks for activation.

... in the mean time cable companies can offer you 30/5, 50/5, 105/10 internet.

The question is why are you still with uverse? Time to move on

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to tkdslr

Premium Member

to tkdslr

said by tkdslr:

It looks like I''ll be saving approximately ($55+$27+$8) - ($30+$8) == $53 a month.

Including high-capacity wireless data? Maybe where you are, but not where I am.

Tim
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99

Re: The best uverse I could get in illinois

said by chgo_man99:

CSI is never over a 13 meg profile. If you want the higher tiers, you have to have an installer out. In certain cases, you can get the full installation for free, but I'm not sure what all cases that applies to.

Tons of new techs have been and are still being hired and are starting to come out of training, so install windows are becoming smaller by the day. I expect there will be lots of new promotions for UVerse service very soon.

There are also rumors of a 55 meg profile somewhere around the bend...

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

said by TheRogueX:

There are also rumors of a 55 meg profile somewhere around the bend...

Seriously doubt it. And even then it appears that only the people who have the VRAD as their next door neighbor will be able to get the higher profiles. It was talked about in another thread. Something about the INIDs being "too expensive" for their stupid shortsighted investors.

Once again, AT&T being held back by their investors. Can't help but to laugh.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to etaadmin

to etaadmin
Bc I don't need to spend more $$$ for service that I use only on weekends? Bc i dont care about upload speed? Dont need 100mb service? Where u heard about uverse in Iowa? It's centurylink territory that is even worse when it comes to speed.
chgo_man99

chgo_man99 to TheRogueX

to TheRogueX
I understand. But here I was talking about CSI that was not offered to me over 6.

As for window time, I heard it depends from area to area and in mine techs were busy and booked up.
chgo_man99

chgo_man99 to trparky

to trparky
What if they have available a bonded solution? Two bonded copper lines could double speed!

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

The investors say that the INIDs for bonded pairs are too expensive.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Quick Fix - Stop Capping!!!

If ATT dropped their caps they would easily be able to steal away cable customers with $25 6 meg dsl lines or faster in many areas.
Dropping the caps will make slower service way better as you could download more than even the fastest speed connections with cable companies who cap.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to djrobx

to djrobx

said by djrobx:

said by elray:

Given AT&T's reputation with the editorial staff here, I'm surprised the story wasn't spun differently.

That's because AT&T's U-verse caps don't work yet.

Nor will they ever. We're not going to a new round of CPE that's UL- and AICPA- certified for data metering accuracy, and consumers will continue to make the Cap issue painful for executives.

In the end, hard, wired caps will go away, replaced by speed-limited tiers, throttling, time-of-day limits, various forms of net-neutrality hacks, and of course, much higher base rates.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX to trparky

to trparky

Re: The best uverse I could get in illinois

said by trparky:

The investors say that the INIDs for bonded pairs are too expensive.

If what I've heard is right, the 55meg profile is already being tested in homes. And a smaller, less-expensive indoor bonded-pair RG is in the works.