spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-27 12:13:15: Back in April of 2009, Canadian cable operator Cogeco foisted metered billing on the back of their customers, applying caps as low as 10GB per month and overages as high as $2.50 a gigabyte on top of existing tiers. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

jono181

join:2004-06-05
Toronto, ON

This is absurd

Let's get this charge reversed for him.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Only a matter of time

When I got the letter back in the late summer and saw that they were eliminating the $50 fee, I knew it was only a matter of time before this happened. Now it has.

flycuban

join:2005-04-25
Homestead, FL

More money more money...

It’s all about making more money year after year. Seems that the new way of companies. With salaries not going anywhere, do they really expect people to keep paying for higher prices?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to jono181

Re: This is absurd

said by jono181:

Let's get this charge reversed for him.

There is no $50 maximum on the 30 and 50Mbit plans. Cogeco announced this. It's a legitimate charge as far as Cogeco is concerned.

He needs to get the media involved. This kind of crap is insane.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

Who is responsible

If Cogeco says they sent the bill, but the users says they never received it?

On a side note, the first bill was $891, If I understand correctly. Did the user continue his service while the overage charge was still active? I'm trying to figure out why the service wasn't cancelled / suspended after an $891 charge was incurred on the auto-payment account.
--
"Suddenly everything is fainting, falling from a broken ladder's rung. There's a jolt exhilarating from the phone I'm holding...
I hear the words of what I'll become, how eager the hands that reach for love."
- Blind Melon - New Life

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

Despicable!

An absolute needless despicable vitriolic abomination!
No ISP in Canada should be able to do this to a consumer EVER!

Chucks Truck

@teksavvy.com

The Prime Minister has to do something

Great news for people with unsecured wireless. It's almost like magic something that costs Cogeco next to nothing or less than a dime could cost someone $2,500.00. Something should also be done about completely ridding Canada of the CRTC and set up an independent body for the good of the public.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to winsyrstrife

Re: Who is responsible

I think the bigger question is why didn't Cogeco call him to tell him the metre had ran up so high. Cell phone companies do it for roaming fees and overages. If the metre has no upper limit, Cogeco should be obliged to do the same.

I really hope this guy calls up CTV (Citytv won't touched it - owned by Rogers after all) or the Toronto Star and gets them to run with it. This sort of stuff is insane.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to Gone

I question the use of the word "legitimate" here
No reason for this. It most definitely doesn't cost the carrier that much to transport the data on the customer's behalf..

Less than 1TB/mo? Come on. How much harm is this in the grand scheme of things? Is the customer not supposed to use their bandwidth? Why have a "fast" internet that is practically neutered and unavailable to use?

I hope the customer gets this sorted out. Totally insane to be charged this much for using their service as what will CERTAINLY (and already, quite obviously IS), 'ordinary use.'

ISPs need to wake up to this. It's not going backwards anytime soon, no matter how much they would like to wish for it.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by amungus:

I question the use of the word "legitimate" here

It's legitimate in the sense that this isn't a billing error. They changed their terms as of October 1st to have no $50 maximum on Ultimate 30 and Ultimate 50, so Karl is a bit mixed up in how he worded the original article. My letter, as posted in the article, was for the 14Mbit package which increased from $30 to $50.

As for being legitimate as far as business practices go, fuck no. They're worse than even Bell Canada and Videotron, which would make them the worst ISP in all of Canada as far as UBB goes.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

The Regulator

What regulates Cogeco. Is it the CRTC?

and

America is portrayed by a few Canadians as being a nation corrupted by business. I guess the implied solution is a more powerful government.
The stories I read don't support that ideology.

Neither gov nor corp is a reliable friend to us.
Perhaps the best we can hope for is that they are at each others throat; and that we are free of them for a while.
--
Adopting other people's animosity is The New Stupid.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Overages

Should always be capped out at 150% of the cost of unlimited. If AOL did it back in the day when people were trying up individual phone lines, why can't they do it now with networks 1000x as fast?

franknalco

join:2005-01-27
Littleton, CO

Monopolies seldom lose

It is this kind of nonsense that leads me to conclude that all the hoopla over "cord cutters" is dubious. In the final analysis, both Hollywood and these cable/broadband providers are going to get their money - either with ridiculous programming packages, or with ridiculous licensing and bandwidth fees. The notion that you can alter your delivery method but remain faithful to the two monopolies (Hollywood on the one hand and service delivery providers on the other) and somehow "win" is ludicrous. CableTV may one day seem cheap when compared to metered billing broadband + rising licensing fees at Netflix/Hulu/whomever. When you fight monopolies, monopolies seldom lose. On the contrary, they often roll with the punches and come out ahead in the end.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

The answer to the problem..

Instead of using the word "socked", let's start using the word "raped". If the MSM and everyone used the term "raped", things would quickly change.

Example:

"AT&T socks customer on international data roaming charges"

"AT&T rapes customer on international data roaming charges"
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
I doubt you would throw around the word rape so casually if someone you cared about has experienced this heinous crime.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by mix:

I doubt you would throw around the word rape so casually if someone you cared about has experienced this heinous crime.

True, but apparently the only way to get anyone to do anything is to go the extremes. Otherwise, we talk, and talk, and talk.
--

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
he used the bandwith fair and square, let him pay for it like everyone else

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Rob
Do you yell fire in a movie theater to protest high ticket prices too?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by mix:

Do you yell fire in a movie theater to protest high ticket prices too?

It's not the same thing....

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Paolo
Not.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to Paolo
I'm sure he'd be willing to pay for it if the price were fair.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

But not unusual

I just looked. If I happen to direct dial my inlaws in canada w/ my verizon cell they will charge me $.50/min, whereas if I do it through GV its $0. So in fact that is much more obnoxious than this charge. When I roam in Canada $69c/min.

What do I do: 1. I use GV 2. I use a prepaid SIM and redirect my GV to the phone while I travel there.

I will vouch that all of my family is scared to use the internet for video because they are not really sure how doing such will impact them, so they dont. I caught my father-in-laws tenant piggybacking on the unsecured Bhell 2wire and closed that down, after seeing 100GB of data streaming after he changed from Rogers, so that is real too. These yoys are not securing their WAP, and eventually--like europe--will make the end user responsible.

While I agree 700 GB probably cost them $7 in transit fees, this is what they setup to make money. Network subscription is their problem. If they went to docsis 3 and didnt upgrade the switches then they are just being cheap and laughing to the bank. (artificial scarcity) The margins while still fat in cable are being squeezed (or maintaining), while telecom/HSI costs are going down. So it is natural in a natural (or not) monopoly for them to take advantage of this situation.

Canada is even worse than the US (for now) because the biggies own not only the infrastructure, they own sports teams, sports channels, regular channels, wireless companies, newspapers, magazines, almost everything. It's a consolidated supply chain. Now I have made a killing on Rogers and BCE stock, so I am not complaining.

Natural monpolistic behavior is to raise rates on the most profitable items where there is minimal competition, especially when natural rates are going down. You can see this will At&T following Verizon to the top, and I'm sure Sprint will have to cave sooner or later. Tmobile will lag and may just go to LTE advanced after the pricing goes down, because HSPA+ is fast enough for now.

I know you guys dont fins this shocking. We have all seen the $5000 cell phone bills, however unlike the US in Canada they tell you to f**k off. It is a reminder in how bad the customer is treated over there....You can persist though.

The fact that the CRTC is a telecom rotation doesnt help, and the fact that UBB should come with some sort of ACCURATE meter sorta like petrol, if in fact consumption is even tied to cost which it is not.

Funnily enough UBB doesnt even portray actual carrier costs...Bandwidth and network switching do... You can see Teksavvy allowing unlimited during night hours.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Paolo

Re: The answer to the problem..

said by Paolo:

he used the bandwith fair and square, let him pay for it like everyone else

I don't think the dispute is that he used or didn't use the data. The dispute is whether the carrier made an effort to notify him of the change in policy? In addition, once he went above the $50, they should have notified him about the new policy and reminded him about the additional charges he will incur..
--

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to Gone

no kidding it would only take 24 hours at 50Mbps to blow though 700GB not sure what the cap is in the frist place but if its about he same your looking at 48 hours a month at full speed to rack up a bill like that

that just under 2 hours a day of down loading EASY to hit if your streaming movies and TV

btw at 30Mbps 125GB only takes 11 hours of use you could kill that in a week with a netflix account
at 50 it only takes 6 hours
WTF is the point of speeds like that if your going to blow through it in one night

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

???

His first bill showed $800+ due and he didnt raise this issue then, only to get a bill for $2,000+? Wouldnt an $800 bill tip people off to something being screwy? If the first bill didnt grab his attention, I would think it would be pretty easy for him to overlook a simple notice stating no max overages anymore.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Main reason I don't do auto withdrawal

I will not have things automatically deducted from my account for this reason. These guys can take every penny in your account before you know it and good luck getting it back.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Gone

Re: Who is responsible

Funny I was just about to mention similar situations with cell phone companies. I thought the problem was that cell phone companies DO NOT contact the customer when they are incurring high overages. Perhaps the situation is different in Canada?

It would be very courteous of Cogeco to have called the customer when his account showed highly irregular expenses incurred. Courtesy isn't so much a priority these days...it's all about legal responsibility now, which is why Cogeco is insisting they sent the customer a letter.

If this customer receives full/nearly full reversal of the costs incurred, does this mean everyone should receive similar treatment if they receive bill with similar costs? I realize it may seem like I'm in favor of Cogeco, when I am not whatsoever. I am trying to find a balance between both sides, if such a thing is possible.
--
"Suddenly everything is fainting, falling from a broken ladder's rung. There's a jolt exhilarating from the phone I'm holding...
I hear the words of what I'll become, how eager the hands that reach for love."
- Blind Melon - New Life

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to swintec

Re: ???

Probably with autopay had a pretty good chunk in his bank account and since he knew the total was the same every month didn't open the bill or check it promptly. Probably what happened is his account was missing a ton of money and then he saw the massive charges....
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

slivers

join:2009-08-28
Canada
reply to swintec
If you read his original post in the forum he tried to get this resolved the moment he got that $800 Bill.

He was a long time customer that was trying to give Cogeco the chance to fix it... and as you can see it didn't work.

CableConvert
Premium
join:2003-12-05
Atlanta, GA
reply to Gone

I think the other question is the reliability of the meter itself. Who knows if it is correct. There is no independent 3rd party monitoring it