dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-27 12:13:15: Back in April of 2009, Canadian cable operator Cogeco foisted metered billing on the back of their customers, applying caps as low as 10GB per month and overages as high as $2.50 a gigabyte on top of existing tiers. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to CableConvert

Premium Member

to CableConvert

Re: This is absurd

said by CableConvert:

I think the other question is the reliability of the meter itself. Who knows if it is correct. There is no independent 3rd party monitoring it

Exactly. I'm surprised this hasn't yet gone to court.
Gruesome
join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON

Gruesome

You guys need to

cut them some slack, they're still trying to pay for their failed business venture in the acquisition of Cabovisão in Portugal
Their execs need a raise to inspire them to do better

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert

Re: The answer to the problem..

Paolo useless troll, guys. Ignore him.
OhNo2
join:2012-01-17
Burlington, ON

OhNo2 to swintec

to swintec

Re: ???

I didn't receive a couple bills or the notification of the change. The first time I noticed something was up was when I checked my bank statement. My issue it detailed more clearly in the forum. Please check it out.
OhNo2

OhNo2 to Pauly

to Pauly

I'm sure your opinion would change if your gas company tried something similar.
05381257 (banned)
join:2011-05-03

1 recommendation

05381257 (banned)

Canada....

LOLz...

warned
@50.117.56.x

warned to OhNo2

Anon

to OhNo2

Did you acknowledge the warning e-mails that are sent notifying that you are getting close to 100% of your usage?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

Paolo is a troll ignore him

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to 05381257

Premium Member

to 05381257

Re: Canada....

said by 05381257:

LOLz...

We are painfully aware. A glimpse into your future perhaps? Bet on it.

Mike

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly to Pauly

to Pauly

We gota help a bro out, push this article everywhere and the bad press will fly at them.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer

Re: Canada....

I Honestly feel bad for you guys out east (Move to the west we need more workers!!!!)

Dec 2011 Download 1.41 TB Upload 138.34 GB Total 1.54 TB

All for 120 a month in Shaw land

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

winsyrstrife to OhNo2

Premium Member

to OhNo2

Thanks for clearing that up, it was one of my lingering questions about the whole situation. I did read your post, but not all of it. Will read through it thoroughly now.

Had I received a $900 bill for Internet services, after I stopped laughing or recovered from the blackout, I would have cancelled the service unless a supervisor (in a voice recorded conversation) assured me the charges were being taken care of.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail

Re: The Regulator

The CRTC allowed the telco's to implement economic ITMP's (Internet Traffic Management Programs) without any parameters and of course the Telco's took full advantage of this.

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert

said by Robert:

said by Pauly:

he used the bandwith fair and square, let him pay for it like everyone else

I don't think the dispute is that he used or didn't use the data. The dispute is whether the carrier made an effort to notify him of the change in policy? In addition, once he went above the $50, they should have notified him about the new policy and reminded him about the additional charges he will incur..

Well a question I would have is why the service was not simply halted the moment the customer reached a certain cost point at or near the limit? My thoughts here would be something like spending limits on credit cards where the customer would need to contact the service provider to "check in" and then make a decision at that point...

It would surely put the brakes on these types of stories and the customer would get a fair warning that any further activity was going to be extremely expensive as well as an opportunity for the provider to upsell said customer on a more appropriate service tier.

Just a thought...
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to elios

Premium Member

to elios

EXACTLY the metrics that 'they' (any ISP with or considering caps) do NOT want YOU to consider at all.

When placed into a simple set of terms like this, anyone can so easily see how much crap this is that it just isn't funny.

This entire notion of capping needs to be more seriously addressed. Restricting one's use of internet in such a manner is flat out foul.

ExMainttech
@cgocable.net

ExMainttech

Anon

wow

Well when I worked there and we had a meeting on all of this and all of us in the one dept voiced our opinions on this and the upper hands more or less told us they didn't care and said they dropped the overage caps in Portugall because of competition and public rage. I am not totally against caps but this is rather pathetic....I bet Bell is smiling all over this latest article.

I think I am done supporting them anymore, I haven't been there in almost 2 years and a recent email I got from HR regarding a job posting, it upset me along with a nagging phone call from Billing over putting our payment on the wrong account number, they cleared it up with no major issues however the tone on the phone was uncalled for.

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to Pauly

to Pauly

Paolo = Cogetroll!
ruddypict

ruddypict to mix

to mix
said by mix:

Do you yell fire in a movie theater to protest high ticket prices too?

If they tried to charge me $2400 I'd do a lot more than yell!!
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to mix

to mix
Really? Because I have and I would still and do throw that word around casually. Just like murder and suicide.

You know why? Because I am not some pansy ass "everyone gets a trophy even for losing" "do what feels good to you" kind of guy. If you are really that sensitive to words, then do society a favor and move along.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

Impossible!

To be clear the user was consuming a lot of bandwidth, one month clocking in over 689 GB of overages

Clearly there has some kind of mistake here. We all know that the average user uses less than 250GB a month!
Rekrul

Rekrul to amungus

to amungus

said by amungus:

Is the customer not supposed to use their bandwidth?

No, they're not. ISPs believe that you should only use the bandwidth they give you in short bursts, so that your connection is idle 75% of the time.
said by amungus:

Why have a "fast" internet that is practically neutered and unavailable to use?

Because they can charge more for faster speeds. They sucker people in with the promise of fast speeds and then cap the usage to prevent people from truly using it. Or they tack on overage charges knowing that people will quickly burn through their monthly allowance and start racking up extra fees.
59677028 (banned)
join:2012-01-19
Pontypool, ON

59677028 (banned) to Robert

to Robert

said by Robert:

said by Pauly:

he used the bandwith fair and square, let him pay for it like everyone else

I don't think the dispute is that he used or didn't use the data. The dispute is whether the carrier made an effort to notify him of the change in policy? In addition, once he went above the $50, they should have notified him about the new policy and reminded him about the additional charges he will incur..

its actually called in legal terms "misrepresentation" and if he took it to court he'd win that and if at small claims could go and try and get 25000 in pain and suffering this has caused....

OH and in ontario quebec and bc you can enjoin cases like these and file class action status, remember talk to a lawyer !!!

59677028 (banned) to ruddypict

to ruddypict
said by ruddypict:

said by mix:

Do you yell fire in a movie theater to protest high ticket prices too?

If they tried to charge me $2400 I'd do a lot more than yell!!

ya seen the price of a pop n popcorn lately?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Rekrul

Premium Member

to Rekrul

Re: Impossible!

said by Rekrul:

Clearly there has some kind of mistake here. We all know that the average user uses less than 250GB a month!

No no no, up here, average user uses far less than 30GB a month, which is plenty generous!

Expand your moderator at work

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix to Skippy25

to Skippy25

"AT&T murdered Skippy25." You're right, that is a pretty amusing headline.
OhNo2
join:2012-01-17
Burlington, ON

OhNo2 to Rekrul

to Rekrul

Re: Impossible!

A single user maybe. But an entire family that streams media? Unrealistic.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

even one user with caps that low will eat it up in under a week
a family thats tech smart is going to eat that in a weekend
fathamburger
join:2010-07-16
North York, ON

fathamburger

we'll also try and help

Wrote this up again aimed at more of an international audience (with DSLR mentions and credits) here.

»www.worldbroadbandfounda ··· node/246

Agreed. We need to help kill this if we can

XoX
join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada

XoX

it suck

ouch...

Since they want to bill us like Hydro and the water, they should have the same lay apply to them...

I mean i am with TSI and thanks god they to do bother to much with the usage because their meter suck a lot when it work.

If an ISP want to bill customer by the usage they should have the tool used be certified like the gaz, hydro, water meter are. That apply to Bell who want to charge wholesaler by the usage.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next