dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-30 09:09:10: Time Warner Cable initially took their time deploying faster DOCSIS 3. ..

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Smart

Let's see... offering a bonus product that most people don't really need or want as an enticement to buy a high end product they do want. Will that work?

Magic 8-ball says... no.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Will work

For those who work from home. VoIP quality vs cell phone, no questions asked.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ERPro8
Netgear R7000

AndyDufresne to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: Smart

It will work. The way things are going home phone service should be a free add on to home internet service. TW would be smart to offer that going forward in all its market and make it a permanent deal. No phone fees for life since less and less people are depending on traditional home phone service and more on cell service.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99

Re: Will work

A copper landline being even better in quality and reliability than VoIP.

Bugger
@rr.com

Bugger

Anon

TW != TWC

The title of the post is wrong. Time Warner and Time Warner Cable have been separate companies since March 2009. TWC needs to change their name to prevent confusion. I think RoadRunner would be a great name
jasondean
join:2009-08-28
Brooklyn, NY

jasondean

Are they so blind?

It's amazing how everyone else's basic offering blows TWC out of the water. I'd gladly change providers if I could but Verizon FiOS isn't offered in my neighborhood and as much as I hate Cablevision I'd still switch so I could get faster service and MSG. If only true competition existed.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to kickass69

to kickass69

If u speak of experience with vonage, I think it's bad comparison.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to Bugger

Anon

to Bugger

Re: TW != TWC

TWC already went through a year long "re-branding" review about 3 years ago and decided to stick with Time Warner Cable as the name.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to kickass69

to kickass69

Not in this town. With limited exceptions that I've previously noted, the copper is only considered an upgrade tier from string.

The Cable Digital Voice products sold by our local cable outfits aren't as cheap as some of the Internet-dependent VoIP products like Vonage, but the performance is fantastic and 100% transparent compared to landline. While you have to renegotiate every year, the last three years have offered$20/month "California only service" bundled with Pay-TV.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to AndyDufresne

to AndyDufresne

Digital phone still has fees. You have E911, Federal Sales, and State Sales right off the top.

25139889 (banned) to skuv

to skuv

but still. TW and TWC are NOT the same company. TW- Time Warner, Inc. TWC- Time Warner Cable. TWO completely different companies. And Karl should note that.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

kickass69 to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99

I was comparing my Verizon copper landline to Cable's VoIP product. Atleast it still works when the power is out and I don't believe in putting all my eggs into one basket as redundancy in this case isn't always best.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

My digital phone service from the cable company works with the power out. Sounds better than a traditional land line too.

J McCoy
@twcable.com

J McCoy

Anon

Offer is good in the Carolinas as well

Wideband w/ Free Digital Phone Unlimited offer is good in the Carolinas also.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

lame speeds

speeds range from 1.5/256 (really?, jeez), to 50/5.
why bother.. glad I'm not in a TWC zone of nyc!

Last time I checked.. Cablevision's 50mbit tier is $65, doubt twc is hocking this for the same price w/ VOIP.
blueondemand
join:2011-06-22
New York, NY

blueondemand

In New York, on Manhattan Speed on my end is now 1.5 Mbps which i should be getting 15 Mbps or higher. Those speed will only be available during morning and none during peak hours. This is how Time Warner Cable service in New York. Fix your congestion before serving those speed on copper line.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to kickass69

to kickass69

I just started using Ooma on TWC and it's much better than TWC's VoIP. Ooma is great as long as you get 10ms jitter or better over TWC, which I do. Ooma startup cost is high (a bit less via Costco) but is overall less than TWC VoIP in less than a year and much less over years.
Night0wl
join:2011-06-23

Night0wl

great offer

Has free voice mail, free install, and no phone activation fee. If you're considering upgrading or a new connect, why not go for it?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Bugger

Premium Member

to Bugger

said by Bugger :

The title of the post is wrong. Time Warner and Time Warner Cable have been separate companies since March 2009. TWC needs to change their name to prevent confusion. I think RoadRunner would be a great name

Didn't you know "Road Runner" has been deprecated by TWC? They got tired of paying royalties to Disney. I forget what they said RR would be renamed to..something blah.
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

Wow, that title is sure misleading

For one thing, it is TWC not Time Warner making the offer and they are two different entities now.

More importantly, Karl has implied in the title that ANYONE with RR who upgrades to 50/5 gets the phone free for a year. Then I read the article to find out ONLY those in NYC can get this deal.

I think Karl figured if he wrote a non-misleading title that not that many would click on it.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to pnh102

to pnh102

Well , they better come out with SOME kind of deal, they are losing thousands of customers to FiOS due to MSG non-existance in NY. lol
richardak
join:2001-07-08
South Texas

richardak to Mele20

to Mele20

Re: Wow, that title is sure misleading

check with your local TWC office. I have gotten this same offer by email, by regular mail and they have called a couple of times as well.