dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-01-31 08:43:27: According to some leaked data posted to TMoNews, T-Mobile is preparing to impose new caps on data roaming starting April 5. ..

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Roaming is expensive

T-MObile can't eat the cost forever.

However their home network isn't so bad.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

Better to cut someone off..

then send them an $8,000 phone bill.

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

partners

who do they roam with anyways? Is it just at&t's 2g connection?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by jgkolt:

who do they roam with anyways? Is it just at&t's 2g connection?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T- ··· #Roaming
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Another line of bull

I really dunno if anyone has looked at it this way but did you ever think that if it is always such a small percentage that uses this much or that much, then you take that percentage and speread it out over all the towers out there for each company...........remind me again just why the hell do we need such small caps??

thomas2011
@comcast.net

thomas2011

Anon

no good for me

t-mobile works mostly quite well here in denver, CO. but my house happens to be a dead spot. so i am always roaming on AT&T at home.

i can use my home WIFI no problem but i am sure there are people like me who do not have or do not want to use wifi.

the unlimited domestic roaming has actually been one of the selling points lately at t-mobile stores. i understand the reason they are doing thing, but why did the ever offer it on an unlimited basis. if they could not afford it than it should have been capped from the very beginning. this is one more case of 'advertising something they hope no one takes them up on.'
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Me either since all t-mobile provides in my area is roaming everything. So no point in getting t-mobile. And they wonder why they're 4th? Verizon offers the most 3G/4G covererage and they have the most customers. This is not a coincidence.

tmh
@206.29.182.x

tmh to zeddlar

Anon

to zeddlar

Re: Another line of bull

said by zeddlar:

I really dunno if anyone has looked at it this way but did you ever think that if it is always such a small percentage that uses this much or that much, then you take that percentage and speread it out over all the towers out there for each company...........remind me again just why the hell do we need such small caps??

This is AT&T payback for the divorce.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to jgkolt

Premium Member

to jgkolt

Re: partners

A few phones have PCS 3G, plus the Gnex has pentaband. It's good that T-Mobile customers won't be able to freeload. If you want to have connectivity wherever you are, then you will have to to pay for AT&T fair and square.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to tmh

MVM

to tmh

said by tmh :

This is AT&T payback for the divorce.

It's hard to divorce when you were never married. I've never heard of alimony for a dating relationship.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to FFH5

to FFH5

Affiliate partners such as I-wireless ( Iowa wireless)
sexcho
join:2009-08-14

1 recommendation

sexcho to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: no good for me

Verizon does not have the largest 4G network and they have the most customers due to their stitched together, excessively acquired assets. Not because they invested all of this crazy money in a nationwide buildout, but because they bought up regional carriers.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

said by sexcho:

Verizon does not have the largest 4G network and they have the most customers due to their stitched together, excessively acquired assets. Not because they invested all of this crazy money in a nationwide buildout, but because they bought up regional carriers.

What's the difference between building and buying? Both require engineering and $$$. What US carrier legitimately has a larger 4G network than VZ?
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to chgo_man99

Premium Member

to chgo_man99

They use AWS? There's Cincinatti bell as well, although I don't know if they have any coverage that T-Mo doesn't...

Of course you could use hundreds of MB on EDGE too even without PCS, Pentaband or an AWS roaming partner.

EvelKub
Kitty is crazy
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Mesa, AZ

EvelKub to sexcho

Premium Member

to sexcho

Re: no good for me

I prefer the network buildout in this fashion... It means people who lived locally in the market built it out, not someone from thousands of miles away drawing up the plans. This makes for better coverage for locals, not just for those driving the freeways.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to sexcho

Premium Member

to sexcho
said by sexcho:

Yea so about that 4g network. and Verizon might of bought and stitched together different companies but at least they did it right. ATT's stitched together network is consistently falling apart.

at least put more effort in if your trolling.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5

that list isn't all of them. There is a small company way up in northern Michigan (still in the hand) that starts with a T that TMO-USA roams on. and no its not ATT.
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to BiggA

to BiggA
yes they use aws. They have some smart-phones that t-mobile uses. In some areas T-mobile does not run spectrum directly but through partnership. In Iowa, you have Iowa Network Services and T-Mobile partnership. I am not amused by them though. Its simply a crappier version of T-Mobile with green instead of pink logo.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to BiggA

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

A few phones have PCS 3G, plus the Gnex has pentaband. It's good that T-Mobile customers won't be able to freeload. If you want to have connectivity wherever you are, then you will have to to pay for AT&T fair and square.

You are absolutely hilarious. I bet you're the life of every party you attend.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to zeddlar

to zeddlar

said by zeddlar:

To be fair, T-Mobile is saving you from paying huge overcharge fees. The caps are their roaming partners' limits.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to sonicmerlin

Premium Member

to sonicmerlin

??? Because I think people shouldn't be able to freeload?
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

said by BiggA:

Roaming is expensive and sure it does not come cheap. Since they collect to pay for this only from airtime minutes, they have to limit access. You won't see truly unlimited roaming as roamed partner would rather prefer you to be in their plan and your telco would rather prefer to you to this one. In some areas where they don't own spectrum they have partnerships. Even on those u have limited time or transfer if you are from outside home partnership area. Ex. I-wireless (not Cincinnati bell) v t-mobile!
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to BiggA

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

You realize bandwidth is unlimited, right? It doesn't cost less when people download less. Congestion occurs during peak hours. Otherwise the towers have space for more users.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to chgo_man99

Premium Member

to chgo_man99
Exactly. People shouldn't be able to freeload. If they want AT&T, pay for it.

Bandwidth isn't unlimited when you don't own the network.