dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-03 09:29:14: Last week Cablevision employees in Brooklyn voted to unionize for the first time in the company's history, a significant move given the fact that just 2-4% of cable technicians are unionized. ..

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

pnh102

Premium Member

Fire Them

quote:
Following last week's vote, roughly 120 contracted Bronx technicians briefly walked off their jobs in a "wildcat" strike Thursday protesting a 30% reduction in wages (to $35) for triple play installations.
Wildcat strikes are not legally protected job actions. If Cablevision is smart it would quickly fire every one of these strikers before they cause the company even more grief.
megatron266
Premium Member
join:2007-08-11
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

megatron266

Premium Member

Re: Fire Them

I'm not sure of the conditions these workers have to endure while doing installations but I'm sure it isn't easy. Tight spaces due to overcrowding and compartmentalization along with bug and rodent infestations due to unsanitary conditions. Sitting in a nice office where you can breath clean air and drink filtered water from the water cooler is a lot better than going through a crawl space and having words with a defiant rat. LOL

I say don't fire them but talk with them and see what went wrong here. This must have been brewing for some time now since strikes like these don't just come out of the blue like that. Remember the amount of money these companies make off their customer's. All this is off the back of the employees that get paid just enough to get by in NYC.

Also, they are not Cablevision employees.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

pnh102

Premium Member

said by megatron266:

I say don't fire them but talk with them and see what went wrong here.

No, in the case of a wildcat strike, the employer must act swiftly and forcefully. These kinds of strikes are not like conventional strikes in which there is no contract between labor and management. If the management tolerates one wildcat strike, there will be more.

The other funny thing is that by engaging in a wildcat strike, this newly formed union just made it that much easier for the company to get rid of it once and for all because there is no legal recourse that can be taken against an employer that fires a worker who engaged in a wildcat strike. That's why most labor unions frown upon them.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Actually, it is only a wildcat strike if there is a collective bargaining agreement in place. From what I understand, these were non-union contractors so the strike was not illegal. Cablevision could fire them all if they wanted to but then forget about any repairs/installs in the Bronx for a while... not too smart. Apparently Cablevision agreed because they withdrew the 30% cut.

It is really sad that there are people who think workers should accept a 30% pay cut without so much as a whimper. If it was your pay getting cut would you thank them for it?

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by CXM_Splicer:

If it was your pay getting cut would you thank them for it?

My pay at my job WAS cut. It was either that or lose my job.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

1 edit

JRW2

Premium Member

said by pnh102:

said by CXM_Splicer:

I'll bet it wasn't 30% though..

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

2 recommendations

ITALIAN926 to pnh102

to pnh102
quote:
I guess that excludes YOU as being a Dolan.

So basically, your point of view is that bc YOU as an individual cannot fight for your labor rights, NOBODY should be able to. Because YOU were given a pay cut, everyone else should do the same. Hmm.

Since you believe Cablevision techs are on the brink of being rich and spoiled with benefits, why dont you quit your job and move to the NY area and become an installer?

Until then, keep your opinions to yourself and worry about your own employment.
Expand your moderator at work
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

I am truly sorry you had your salary reduced. Perhaps if you were in a union you would have fared better than standing against the company by yourself. Verizon has many managers that are considering forming a Managers union (other companies have them too); maybe that would be an option for you. There is nothing wrong with standing up and demanding fair treatment as long as you do it together.
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

Kommie2 (banned) to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by CXM_Splicer:

Then Unionize like they did and put yourself on the line and stop bitching about it on the Internet.

Its hard to unionize a company, those people put their lives on the line in order to do that, and they won.

wowow2322
@wenet.com

wowow2322

Anon

said by Kommie2:

said by pnh102:

said by CXM_Splicer:

Then Unionize like they did and put yourself on the line and stop bitching about it on the Internet.

Its hard to unionize a company, those people put their lives on the line in order to do that, and they won.

you people jump to funny conclusions. he was responding to a statement not complaiming...

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

S_engineer to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by CXM_Splicer:

If your pay was cut, then you should be showing sympathies for this action, whether or not it was carried out by non-union employees. Why is it that even with personal evidence (my pay was cut), you would bash the only entity (a union) that is actually trying to elevate wages across the board?

If you keep taking it....I got some Chinese wages for you that you'll just love!!!!
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to pnh102

to pnh102
Agreed. Let them find work elsewhere while they bite the hand that fed them.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

Then Cablevision will have to pay market, (100 to 200$ per), rates for triple play installations.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by tkdslr:

Then Cablevision will have to pay market, (100 to 200$ per), rates for triple play installations.

Nope, there are plenty of techs out there looking for work and will work for peanuts since jobs are hard to come by now.
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

1 recommendation

viperlmw

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

said by tkdslr:

Nope, there are plenty of techs out there looking for work and will work for peanuts since jobs are hard to come by now.

Not techs with any experience, or who aren't drunks, or who actually care about quality or the customer.

I have just recently been forced to deal with contractor installations in my area, installations that used to be done by company employees. They had no experience, did bad work, much of which had to be completely re-done, ended up costing the company much more, yet that anti-employee agenda just won't let the powers that be realize this. Contractors only care about getting paid for the piece they are doing. Employees tend to care much more about the company they work for and the customers they serve. But there is an agenda out there, 'Get rid of employees, contract it all out'! Then a company with 50,000 employees can pretend they are a small business.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by viperlmw:

Not techs with any experience, or who aren't drunks, or who actually care about quality or the customer.

I have just recently been forced to deal with contractor installations in my area, installations that used to be done by company employees. They had no experience, did bad work, much of which had to be completely re-done, ended up costing the company much more, yet that anti-employee agenda just won't let the powers that be realize this. Contractors only care about getting paid for the piece they are doing. Employees tend to care much more about the company they work for and the customers they serve. But there is an agenda out there, 'Get rid of employees, contract it all out'! Then a company with 50,000 employees can pretend they are a small business.

And I had the same experience with company techs who didn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground.

Face facts, the wildcat strike was a form of union intimidation against the company and meant to send a message. All that was sent was a big "screw you" to Cablevision and the message back should be "since you care so much, you can find jobs elsewhere."

Unions are going to have to realize their old tactics don't work anymore. Keep doing them and no one will be on their sides.

jackoffjill
@windstream.net

jackoffjill

Anon

You can all thank me and all my union brother's for the wages you are making as nonunion employee.Without us you would not be making the wage's you are.Once the union's are gone do you think you will have good wage's!!!! Don't get me wrong there is good and bad in the union and the company,I have seen it all in my 20 plus years as a union employee. I just hope they can make it work for the company and the employee. I don't like seeing any form of strike, It sux been there done that .It's a no win for both side's.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

Can we also thank you and your union brothers for the "job banks" that nearly killed the auto companies? How about how the UAW wanted to keep workers on the payroll after they were caught drinking and smoking pot during their lunch breaks?

If the unions didn't protest the idiots that would be fired from any other job, then I would have less of a problem with them. But their insistence that they keep those that pose a danger to others is one of the issues that people hate with unions.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

one of the issues that people hate with unions.

We all have to get by that word "HATE" before we can accomplish anything significant.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by miataman:

We all have to get by that word "HATE" before we can accomplish anything significant.

Really? I can say I "hate" the public sector unions of Baltimore City when they "demanded" a tax hike so they could get a pay raise.

The unions are killing the goose that laid the golden egg and blaming everyone around them for their actions.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

Really? I can say I "hate" the public sector unions of Baltimore City when they "demanded" a tax hike so they could get a pay raise.

The unions are killing the goose that laid the golden egg and blaming everyone around them for their actions.

Actually, the facts seem to indicate the opposite of what you claim. Union membership in the US is at an all time low (and still going down) but the goose is sicker now than ever. There is a direct relationship between the decline of unions and the decline of the economy. There is an inverse relationship between corporate profits and the economy.

The reason for the public sector cut backs is simple... lack of tax revenue. So the question is: Why are tax revenues going down? I will let you answer that one.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by CXM_Splicer:

Actually, the facts seem to indicate the opposite of what you claim. Union membership in the US is at an all time low (and still going down) but the goose is sicker now than ever. There is a direct relationship between the decline of unions and the decline of the economy. There is an inverse relationship between corporate profits and the economy.

The reason for the public sector cut backs is simple... lack of tax revenue. So the question is: Why are tax revenues going down? I will let you answer that one.

Union membership is down because unions are killing the companies. They kept demanding more and more and not caring about the health of the company. Striking to make a point only to find the unions got even less. Remember the UPS strike? Customer got so fed up, they left UPS and went to the alternatives.

Unions have tried to get into the Honda, Nissan and Volkswagen plants the workers kept saying no. Why? Because, while they maybe make $0.50 less than union workers, they don't have to pay union dues and they saw how the UAW destroyed Detroit.

And let's not forget the air traffic controllers who decided to go against the law and strike. Reagan was right to fire every single one that refused to come back to work.

Unions are longer thought of helping the common man but helping themselves and rewarding mediocrity instead of hard work.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

Union membership is down because unions are killing the companies. They kept demanding more and more and not caring about the health of the company. Striking to make a point only to find the unions got even less. Remember the UPS strike? Customer got so fed up, they left UPS and went to the alternatives.

Unions have tried to get into the Honda, Nissan and Volkswagen plants the workers kept saying no. Why? Because, while they maybe make $0.50 less than union workers, they don't have to pay union dues and they saw how the UAW destroyed Detroit.

And let's not forget the air traffic controllers who decided to go against the law and strike. Reagan was right to fire every single one that refused to come back to work.

Unions are longer thought of helping the common man but helping themselves and rewarding mediocrity instead of hard work.

Killing the companies? What are you talking about?!? Most companies are making higher profits now than ever. Again, your opinion is not substantiated by facts. The only ones demanding more and more without caring about the health of the company are the shareholders a/k/a leeches.

The thing that killed Detroit was a combination of planned obsolescence and skimping on quality... a/k/a corporate greed. People wanted nothing to do with poorly designed cars and went to the competition... pure and simple. The companies you mention are not US companies, their policies and ethics are set by the executives overseas. You neglected to mention that both Japan and Germany are heavily unionized countries and both of their economies are doing better than ours.

You also forgot to explain why the tax revenue is disappearing. Are you paying less taxes now than 20 years ago?? Because I know I'm not. So WHO STOPPED PAYING TAXES?
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by CXM_Splicer:

Killing the companies? What are you talking about?!? Most companies are making higher profits now than ever. Again, your opinion is not substantiated by facts. The only ones demanding more and more without caring about the health of the company are the shareholders a/k/a leeches.

Care to explain the jobs bank that the UAW made the Big 3 automakers maintain?

»www.thetruthaboutcars.co ··· ob-bank/
said by CXM_Splicer:

The thing that killed Detroit was a combination of planned obsolescence and skimping on quality... a/k/a corporate greed. People wanted nothing to do with poorly designed cars and went to the competition... pure and simple. The companies you mention are not US companies, their policies and ethics are set by the executives overseas. You neglected to mention that both Japan and Germany are heavily unionized countries and both of their economies are doing better than ours.

And where were the unions? Why didn't they complain? They were as complicit as the corporate heads.

And those companies may be foreign but the plants are here. And the UAW has stated they cannot survive without unionizing these plants. They even went so far as to try and get German union workers to strike in Germany so they American plants can get unionized.

»online.wsj.com/article/S ··· 972.html
said by CXM_Splicer:

You also forgot to explain why the tax revenue is disappearing. Are you paying less taxes now than 20 years ago?? Because I know I'm not. So WHO STOPPED PAYING TAXES?

Everyone stopped paying. Companies and individuals alike. Jobs are disappearing and states that raise taxes are losing businesses. Illinois raised taxes and the businesses that could, left the state.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

quote:
Care to explain the jobs bank that the UAW made the Big 3 automakers maintain?

»www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/1···ob-bank/

Strange... at the end of that article it states: "Back in 1985 General Motors had 464,000 union members, at that time they were as big as the U.S. Army. At the end 2004 General Motors UAW members were down to 111,000 members; a 77 percent decrease in membership." Please tell me when the auto-industry bailouts occurred... So your argument is The auto industry needed a bailout because the unions which were killing the industry decreased by 77%? You might want to rethink that.
quote:
And where were the unions? Why didn't they complain? They were as complicit as the corporate heads.

You are joking with this... right? Do you think for ONE SECOND that the corporate executives listen to the peon workers? Who exactly were they suppose to complain to? It wasn't some secret... EVERYONE KNEW IT ALREADY! The corporate heads made the decisions and you hold the workers responsible... unbelievable.
quote:
Everyone stopped paying. Companies and individuals alike. Jobs are disappearing and states that raise taxes are losing businesses. Illinois raised taxes and the businesses that could, left the state.

Everyone?? I haven't stopped paying... have you? Does anyone reading this care to volunteer that they are paying substantially less now? Certain individuals have substantially reduced what they have been paying... who specifically? Yes, jobs are disappearing; they are being sent overseas for increased corporate profits. The very same corporations that pay little or no taxes now. Are you beginning to see the trend? Please stop listening to Hannity and look at what's really going on around you!
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by CXM_Splicer:

Strange... at the end of that article it states: "Back in 1985 General Motors had 464,000 union members, at that time they were as big as the U.S. Army. At the end 2004 General Motors UAW members were down to 111,000 members; a 77 percent decrease in membership." Please tell me when the auto-industry bailouts occurred... So your argument is The auto industry needed a bailout because the unions which were killing the industry decreased by 77%? You might want to rethink that.

And who caused the jobs to go away? Competition. Toyota, Nissan and Honda kicked the Detroit in quality and people were sick of paying high prices for crap.
said by CXM_Splicer:

You are joking with this... right? Do you think for ONE SECOND that the corporate executives listen to the peon workers? Who exactly were they suppose to complain to? It wasn't some secret... EVERYONE KNEW IT ALREADY! The corporate heads made the decisions and you hold the workers responsible... unbelievable.

They seemed to listen everytime they threatened a strike.
said by CXM_Splicer:

Everyone?? I haven't stopped paying... have you? Does anyone reading this care to volunteer that they are paying substantially less now? Certain individuals have substantially reduced what they have been paying... who specifically? Yes, jobs are disappearing; they are being sent overseas for increased corporate profits. The very same corporations that pay little or no taxes now. Are you beginning to see the trend? Please stop listening to Hannity and look at what's really going on around you!

Why not take a look at property tax revenues. Values are dropping and revenues are falling because of foreclosures. I know my property taxes are going down because my house lost a of its inflated value when the state came by and raised everyone's value in order to tax them more.

People are buying less, people are making less (if they are working) and companies are cutting back.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Moonpuppy, do u have any clue how property taxes work?, the value of your home has NOTHING to do with what you pay in taxes. One way or another the town will get their money. Your value goes down, MIL rates go up. Nice try though.

People who are so illogically anti-union, are the most ignorant people in the world.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by ITALIAN926:

Moonpuppy, do u have any clue how property taxes work?, the value of your home has NOTHING to do with what you pay in taxes. One way or another the town will get their money. Your value goes down, MIL rates go up. Nice try though.

People who are so illogically anti-union, are the most ignorant people in the world.

Maybe not where you are from but in my state, property taxes are based on the value of your home.

»www.dat.state.md.us/sdat ··· ate.html

And in the state of Maryland, assements are going down because many of the houses are worth less than they were assesed at in the first place. So as the assements are going down, so is the property tax amount being paid.

And rates have not gone up here but Maryland has a saying, "If you can dream it, we can tax it."

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

What do you think those RATES are !!!!?? Its a combination of the value taxes at a MIL rate ! Just because your homes has lost value, doesnt mean your taxes are going down !

If your house lost 50% of its value because of the housing crisis, you think youre paying 50% less taxes !? Its not how it works . The city/town WILL get the money they need to operate.
quote:
Below is a list of counties in Maryland, and their property tax rates in effect on July 1, 2011. All rates are shown per $100 of assessment.

You post a link that proves you wrong, I love it.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

How does it prove me wrong?

Assements of the housing values are going down. Less revenue is coming in because of this.

»www.hometownannapolis.co ··· -up.html
quote:
As real estate agents, we have often seen the sales price of homes, which is the true fair market value, vary substantially from assessed values. In the recently assessed parts of southern Anne Arundel county and Annapolis, the average assessed value declined by 15 percent. But the numbers can be all over the map. Our own home went down by 7.8 percent; whereas the assessed value of another Annapolis property we have listed for sale declined by almost 25 percent.
Now, the article goes on about how some people are going up is assessments and taxes because of the lag in the assessments catching up to what the home sold for. However, only certain places (like Annapolis which was mentioned in the article) are making adjustments to charge more. I do not live in Annapolis and the vast majority of people of my county do not live there either so rates in my area are the same BUT the values and assessments are going down and the county is collecting less from the other areas. Some of this has to to also deal with the Homestead Tax Credit which is over and the every 3 year assessments are coming due and the values are dropping like rocks.

•••
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer to moonpuppy

Premium Member

to moonpuppy
said by moonpuppy:

Do you not understand that this mentality is a race to the bottom? For your sake I hope you are not a worker or a manager because, if you are, your salary will start decreasing soon from this very same effect.

soundviewave
@verizon.net

soundviewave to tkdslr

Anon

to tkdslr
said by tkdslr:

they do pay over $100 per install. but that is to the contracting company that pays their workers $40.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

2 recommendations

clone (banned) to pnh102

to pnh102
Exactly. Can't have the proles standing up for themselves, you know, demanding a living wage and getting all uppity. It's almost like they think they should be able to hold a card or two in our deck. Ha! Lazy money-hungry bastards. I wish we had some decent robots so we didn't have to use these sub-human pieces of trash for our installations at all.

We've worked hard over the years to break up this kind of collusion between the unwashed masses, and it's high time to start letting them know that we learned from those mistakes and won't be letting the pendulum swing back their way, ever.

So damn right, set that batch of slaves free and find a new bunch that will work for $25 or $30 per installation instead of $35. That's how to be a real job creator.

••••

ITALIAN926

3 recommendations

ITALIAN926 to pnh102

to pnh102
Its amazing to me that you jerks actually side with a greedy giant corporation, rather than your fellow HUMAN BEING trying to make a better life for his/her families.

You should all be ashamed, really.

••••••

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

quote:
Following last week's vote, roughly 120 contracted Bronx technicians briefly walked off their jobs in a "wildcat" strike Thursday protesting a 30% reduction in wages (to $35) for triple play installations.
Wildcat strikes are not legally protected job actions. If Cablevision is smart it would quickly fire every one of these strikers before they cause the company even more grief.

.. They were "contracted" they were NOT CV employees, and therefore not fireable by CV.

soundviewave
@verizon.net

soundviewave

Anon

you are wrong ! cablevision CAN fire a contract employee. if a contractor has repeated follow up trouble calls, complaints, and all that...then cablevision can ask the contractor to fire the contract employee.

its too bad that u went to MIT and dont know jack.
said by miataman:

said by pnh102:

quote:

.. They were "contracted" they were NOT CV employees, and therefore not fireable by CV.

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by soundviewave :

..then cablevision can ask the contractor to fire the contract employee.

its too bad that u went to MIT and dont know jack.

So you admit it's the contracted agency, and not CV that does the firing...

....and no need to be smarmy in your response. Let's keep it civil and on topic, ok... EOD
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to pnh102

to pnh102
I doubt even the $49.95 any drain plumber guys will keep their rates the same for very long. $35 for a cable install is very low for a service call. Tell me ANY other industry thats as cheap or cheaper for a home service call... A cable install can be upto 2 hours (typical is 1hr) for complex installs and minor troubleshooting & activation of set-tops, cablemodem, phone line, etc.

Gasoline prices on the rise.. no way service calls can't rise. Fire them and no doubt the next persons Cablevision hires will be paid MORE to do the same job. Verizon is giving Cablevision plenty of breathing room by rai$ing FIOS rates, effective IMMEDIATELY-- and jacking up the taxes & fees as well! Cablevision employees deserve more money.. outsourced or not-- for that extra money customers get the say with anonymous (coded) surveys on whether they are doing a good job or not.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

Corbel Installations paid not Cablevision

These guys are contractors. I got a feeling Corbel will be doing some hiring/training in next couple of weeks.

"A Cablevision spokesman said the strike "is a matter for Corbel" and declined further comment"

•••••••••••

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

Preemptive "strike"

This is a smart move by the contractor employees. Once cablevision started having Union discussions contractors stock go WAY UP since there is a possibility they will be called to duty IN FORCE soon.
I believe the contractors, knowing this, thought it was a good time to ask for more money.

In the end the customers suffered with all this cat and mouse shit.

Whoever was in this thread bitching about people protecting the "Big Evil Corporation" needs to realize this isnt a movie or a neat little sit in on a college campus. This is real life.
If this Big Evil corporation fails so do many families. Grow up.

•••••

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

The scoop

I'd like to clarify a few things for those with an open mind. First and foremost, I am not a union fan boy. I've been on both sides of the fence. Now, as business owner, I can appreciate why some people have a strong dislike for unions.

Many years ago, I was a cable T.V. "sub-contractor". Even though it's been decades, not much has changed, except for the names.
I want to clarify, these guys are not making money hand over fist. In fact, most are probably making around minimum wage. They are called "sub-contractors" and paid by piecework. They have to pay for their own taxes, tools, trucks, gas, insurance, benefits, etc...
This arrangement is 100% illegal, but is standard CATV industry practice. The IRS is cracking down on these "middlemen" companies. The CableCo, like Pontius Pilate, can claim their "hands are clean" in the whole situation.
Basically, these kids doing the work are "sub-contractors" only in name. They are told when to work, where to work, and how to work by the powers that be. In the eyes of the IRS, that makes them employees.
These middleman contractors screw these guys over left and right with bogus "charge-backs" and shorting their pay. It's been that way "ever since".
These operations have a "revolving door". I think the average turnover is around 125% for these places.
Instead of going to a union, these guys would be better off going to an IRS agent.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald

Re: The scoop

And to add to your comments, when push comes to shove, if one of the "subcontractors" is in a position to say "Me and Gus and Charlie walked into the bosses office and said we wanted to discuss the change in pay and he said "If you don't like it, leave, it's not negotiable", then the company is dead meat. They've just refused to bargain and that is an unfair labor practice. Don't need a union, just three people.

You would have to be plumb crazy to up and terminate these folks.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Not a wild cat strike

AGAIN, karl messed up. Its not a wild cat strike. Cable vision decided to cut the rates they paid. A contracting company decided to pass that cut to the contractors. The contractors refused to do the work at the new rate and didnt show up for work. Thats it in a nut shell and far from a wild cat strike. They have no contract at all and the contracting company was free to replace every one of them. Most of them probably make around 4 to 5 hundred a week and just plain decided it wasnt worth doing for 3 to 4 hundred a week. i wouldt either considering most will probably pay 1 to 2 hundred for gas alone a week.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

DrStrange

Premium Member

If they replace them...

We can check out our local party supply stores and look for a sale on giant inflatable rat rentals.

Cablevision might have a big rodent problem before long.

Time for the 1% to pay their fair share, one way or another.
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

Kommie2 (banned)

IWW

For those interested in Unionizing:

»www.iww.org/
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Re: IWW

And for those that need encouraging.

»www.imdb.com/title/tt0093509/
dingo4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-08

dingo4

Premium Member

interesting how the extra $$$ suddenly became available

So they were able to come up with more pay when they had to? Why wouldn't they have just paid the extra to begin with??

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11

Anon

These poor guys only get $35 for a triple??!!?

Are you F-ing kidding me?
How can they get away with that?

Thats almost slave labor, to deal with customers, explain services, INSTALL services, manuever your 28 foot ladder and work under hot sun, cold weather and freezing rain.. deal with problems and wait times and everything else under the sun.. For that money you could work in TJ Maxx stocking shelves...

And all these idiots on here that say , Fire them, and "I got a pay cut"- GET REAL

You wouldnt do THEIR job at YOUR current pay

and thats the truth

No wonder why cablevision can give mind boggling, IRRATIONAL triple play deals.

I get offers of a triple play in the mail every month for $69.99 for all three services..
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Re: These poor guys only get $35 for a triple??!!?

said by datguy11 :

Are you F-ing kidding me?
How can they get away with that?

Thats almost slave labor, to deal with customers, explain services, INSTALL services, manuever your 28 foot ladder and work under hot sun, cold weather and freezing rain.. deal with problems and wait times and everything else under the sun.. For that money you could work in TJ Maxx stocking shelves...

And all these idiots on here that say , Fire them, and "I got a pay cut"- GET REAL

You wouldnt do THEIR job at YOUR current pay

and thats the truth

No wonder why cablevision can give mind boggling, IRRATIONAL triple play deals.

I get offers of a triple play in the mail every month for $69.99 for all three services..

With Verizon JACKING up prices.. this gives Cablevision breathing room to jack up prices too.. don't expect $69.99 triple play anymore-- except maybe when they have free reign to throttle 15(to20) megabits down to 5 megabits and other hijinks with video & phone service. Expect triple play to rebound to $89+ soon-- not as a good value.

Besides, I recommend dual play services. Cable-tv is very much crap these days and you can find streaming cable-tv channels online too!

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

Prince Telecom's Tags

I'm NOT one to side with unionization, but having witnessed countless instances of deceptive business tactics by Cablevision, I'd give these workers plenty of slack before dismissing their demands. If Cablevision has been willing to victimize its customers, I wouldn't put it past them to drive their contractors so hard to the limit of profit-vs-loss that they'd cut corners doing it.

I see plenty of trucks from Cablevision's contractors (Prince Telecom) rolling through the streets of Brooklyn, NY with out-of-state license plates - trucks that are OBVIOUSLY here 100% of the time. Is this an insurance-rate dodge? There are PLENTY of companies that have trucks in many states (like Prince) - I've never noticed any of THEM registering all of their trucks out of state. Something seems amiss.