spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-03 10:10:32: Several new wireless carriers will launch this year, all trying to do things slightly differently. Republic Wireless plans to lower prices by offloading most of the daily traffic to Wi-Fi. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Ting is reselling Sprint service

One thing should be noted and that is Ting is just reselling Sprint service and will have the data coverage failings of Sprint outside major metro areas. Though the pricing and auto tier switching is a nice touch.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Not that bad except for data

These guys have decent plans. Would be good for my parents who only make phone calls and dont text or browse the web. But the data, thats where they get you. $60 for 3GB? Damn....

Other then that, great for kids, grandparents, parents etc.

BigMac777

join:2001-07-21
Green Valley, AZ

Chart

As we can see from the chart, this is another case of trying to figure it out. You have price for tex price for minutes and prices for whatever. Whatever happened to the single price point. Under MetroPCS $ 40 get you unlimited talk unlimited text and unlimited internet. It needs to be a simple one line price for all. But lets make it complicated and throw out a bunch of figures to confuse everybody.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Unimpressive

$9 for 101-500 minutes sounds incredible, besting the MetroPCS' $20 prepaid plan.

Until you realize you have to pay a $6.00 "device" fee, and a minimum $3.00 for texting, plus "taxes and regulatory fees".

And then you remember, its a Sprint reseller.

This is nothing special. Just a clever marketing campaign.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to BigMac777

Re: Chart

said by BigMac777:

As we can see from the chart, this is another case of trying to figure it out. You have price for tex price for minutes and prices for whatever. Whatever happened to the single price point. Under MetroPCS $ 40 get you unlimited talk unlimited text and unlimited internet. It needs to be a simple one line price for all. But lets make it complicated and throw out a bunch of figures to confuse everybody.

Not everyone will want all 3 services - voice, text, data. For those who just want voice and texting, this is a very good deal. And with the right phone they could still get all the data they want over WiFi.
--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/2012-election/

thomas2011

@comcast.net

good if you do not use data

this actually looks like a pretty good deal for light callers who do not use data.

the pricing is really not very suitable at all for smartphone owners unless they can live with strictly wifi access for data.

i am wondering if they require a data plan for smartphone?

also what about BYOD of clean esn sprint phones?

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

Not that bad

I have 5 users on my VZ account and pay well over $200/month. But we don't use more that 5k txt msg, data is never more than 2gigs total between everything and we rarely go over 1000 mins. Going by the chart I would save almost $60/month with them. Too bad I am tied to VZ because of my phone and not having any money to buy all new phones.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT
Reviews:
·Comcast
Is that 1000 minutes include the free mobile to mobile minutes you use?

We use on average over 2000 minutes a month but actual minutes that count on our plan is around 700 or so.

If I were to get a plan like this I would have to get around 3000 minutes.
--
801 Images

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA
Reviews:
·Anveo

Not too bad, actually

Unfortunately data is still expensive, but I do like the fact you can tether without paying extra. AT&T tried charging me $50 for 5GB just to tether, even though $30 for 3GB + $10 in overages wouldn't cost them money if I tethered without a BS tethering plan.

That said, this seems like an excellent service for those that don't use much data - that's where it shines. 100MB for $3? Even 500MB for $13 is a good deal. For me, after everything is said and done, it would probably only save me $10-$15/month for what I'm paying AT&T for data purposes only. If Sprint's network wasn't so atrocious everywhere I go I'd consider switching.

themagicone

join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN
reply to MSauk

Re: Not that bad

Thanks for pointing that out, I totally didn't think about that. With M2M and friends and family I'd probably need 5k+. There went the savings...

anon12345

@mskcc.org

Buckets!!!

I think the main difference here is the idea of buckets (minutes, text, and data). No matter how many lines you have. You all share the same buckets.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

Great flexibility in building a plan

I like the ability to customize a plan that meets my needs. The current providers give you three options:

1. Too little; cheap
2. Almost enough; moderate cost
3. Unlimited everything; pay out the butt

Ting let's you truly pick and pay for what you want. I like it.

EDIT:
If you are not happy with Ting, 1) Log into your account, 2) Choose Cancel Your Account in the drop down button in the upper right corner of the page, 3) Type Cancel in the field, 4) Click to confirm./blockquote

I think the ability to cancel on the website has convinced me to give this company a try when my current contract expires in a few month. It has always been a pet peeve of mine that consumers can sign up, change plans, etc. but cancelling ... you gotta call in and listen to the retentions department pitch.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT
reply to themagicone

Yeah i hear ya on that. That is the only downside to these programs. We use a ton of mobile to mobile. Everyone we know is basically on Verizon.
--
801 Images

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

Doesn't seem to be all that...

I went to the website and checked out the pricing structure. It doesn't really seem to be all that disruptive to me. The data part is too small and too expensive. I guess we'll wait and see.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to elray

Re: Unimpressive

Agreed

kapil
The Kapil

join:2000-04-26
Chicago, IL

1-855-TING-FTW

LOL. I love their phone number. Any company with a sense of humor will get a shot at my business.
--
»www.kapilville.com

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to thomas2011

Re: good if you do not use data

I have to say you bring up a good point as there on sprints network, If you can byod, say a first gen EVO? I know for a fact ( one of my brother had one) the tethering ability was on lockdown and you needed to call sprint for a password after you paid the additional $20 hotspot fee! I believe its changed recently but who knows.

I currently have Walmart mobile, yup I jumped ship to test them out as of feb 1st, Hell I was on Tmobile to begin with so my coverage is exactly the same, reason I jumped? Got to use my stock Gingerberad G2X just pop SIM and GO. Instead of only 2GB of 4G highspeed data for $60 I get 5GB of 3G for $45 with unlimited T&T, I prefer quantity of high speed data, over top speed! I still tether and it works perfectly, BBR still says Im on Tmobile as my service provider on there home page. I receive a walmart discount as my other brother works for them...double bonus!

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to jjeffeory

Re: Doesn't seem to be all that...

I have to agree there mins and text are by far very alluring for those who don't use much airtime, however once you add data.. and the price your looking at goes into the $40 and above range you might as well go with any one of the other player..Metro, Walmart (T) mobile, boost, etc...

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to themagicone

You can use VZ phones on Pagepluscellular and they have a number of plans. They are a verizon MVNO. My entire family left VZW corporate for them (at least 10 phones). THOUSANDS per year saved. The only catch, no mobile2mobile. If you are talking 1000 minutes for five phone this shouldn't be a problem. The TnT 1200 should be good for everyone ($30), and there are NO contracts or piled on taxes and you can change the plan month to month if your needs dictate. For the 90% they have a $55 plan w/ 1G of data.

All of the Sprint MVNOS (ting included) are unfortunately riding on throttled 3G. I had VM and if I could see 120kbit on EVDO that was a GOOD day. Sprint has an issue because they cant figure out which way they are going to go to 4G and offload all this smartphone data, so ALL of this PCS spectrum is saturated. It doesnt help that the data plans on the MVNOs are generous (they are starting to clamp down), so it compounds the issue.

I still have corporate VZW (for now) because I dont pay for it, however the 4G androids are a NIGHTMARE--I feel like a beta tester paying $120/month.

The problem I see w/ the MVNO is that there is no family plan yet and this Ting thing (I believe) is a way to figure out usage and tiers so that they can adequately offer family plans.

If you start to add up the a la carte pricing it becomes worse that all you can eat packages from the other 100 Sprint MVNOs. The $6 device fee is the killer, and there is some foggy thing about taxes on the website. If you clearly look at the tiering there is a floor set so low that only the casual user can benefit. The next tier for each offering is way above what a casual user would need (EXCEPT FOR DATA), and not until you get onto tier 3 data will that be adequate. So if you take tier2 for voice/text and tier 3 for data this comes out to be more than say VM, boost over time, etc. So this is a fail because of the complexity and ultimately higher price. They will learn.

mod_wastrel
anonome

join:2008-03-28
kudos:1
reply to kapil

Re: 1-855-TING-FTW

Ting... reminds me of the scene from M*A*S*H with Hawkeye and Hot Lips in the Jeep.

BiggA
Premium
join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Family plans

It's a very interesting model. The costs are very reasonable, and everything is shared, which is the big deal. The biggest shocker that's buried in there is that their Canadian pricing is reasonable, it's $.15/min and free for texting, although the data is $.50/MB, which is bad, but not as bad as AT&T's astronomical $19/MB.

Yes, the data is theoretically expensive per unit volume. However, for a family who doesn't stream a lot of media, and just uses apps and web, and can wifi offload at home, the pricing is fantastic. You can add as many lines as you want to the 3GB for $60, but with Verizon, having 5 lines with data is a minimum of $100/mo, even with minimal data usage (300MB/line). Given that the average user is around 400MB/mo, this makes perfect sense.

The coverage for voice and text is also excellent, since they roam on Verizon. After Network Vision, this might be a compelling plan. The up-front costs of the phone are actually hugely offset by the savings. The only huge caveat is that you won't have data in many areas while traveling, since they do not offer data coverage on Verizon CDMA. It would be nice if they could at least get 1x roaming on Verizon, even if for a little extra fee.

One disappointing thing is that it appears that the Photon and Detail do not support SMR, but that the Samsung Conquer does.

BiggA
Premium
EARTH
reply to buddahbless

Family plans. Compare them to Verizon, and they're half the price.

BiggA
Premium
EARTH
reply to elray

Re: Unimpressive

Metro=1xRTT, roaming on Sprint

Ting= WiMAX/EVDO Rev.A, roaming on Verizon

BiggA
Premium
EARTH
reply to Duramax08

Re: Not that bad except for data

$60 over a 5 line family plan is better than paying $150 if each user is using 400-500MB average (typical).

BiggA
Premium
EARTH

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

Re: Ting is reselling Sprint service

This will be a much better deal when Network Vision comes through and deals with that....

BiggA
Premium
EARTH
reply to BiggA

I just checked, and the individual plans aren't much of a deal. Family plans could easily save $100/mo.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to elefante72

I stand corrected. It looks like they have some sort of rollover "credit" and I looked for Canada roaming and it's only $0.15c and NO charge for texts. For those travelling into Canada this is a great deal. It may even be competitive for Canadians (except for the phone#) that GV can deal with. So this is something to be interested in that usage case.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

The problems with sprint re sellers is that they often you only get to use sprint towers, no roaming on Verizon, which is what makes sprint's service usable nationwide
If you can roam to verizon and don't use a lot of data this could be a good deal.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to kapil

Re: 1-855-TING-FTW

That is pretty freaking awesome I won't be using them anytime soon, due to a series of reasons Verizon is actually the cheapest for me because of
Grandfathered unlimited ( I use an average of 3GB a month )
Grandfathered $10 500 Texts and unlimited verizon to verizon
(unlimited verizon to verizon calls) in my area NJ, almost everyone has verizon, I can only think of two friends/family who don't have it, so on my 450 min plan I often use 1500 minutes but 1300 of them are V to V so they are free.
Fios Quadruple play bundle

After all of these special cases I pay $76 a month, for what in my usage patterns is almost unlimited everything.

BiggA
Premium
EARTH
reply to MovieLover76

You can roam to Verizon for voice and SMS. Unfortunately, no data roaming. Quite true, Sprint's network is built to roam on Verizon, as there are obvious holes that Sprint feels are cheaper to keep there and roam than to fill in.