spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-03 10:10:32: Several new wireless carriers will launch this year, all trying to do things slightly differently. Republic Wireless plans to lower prices by offloading most of the daily traffic to Wi-Fi. ..

page: 1 · 2

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Family plans

It's a very interesting model. The costs are very reasonable, and everything is shared, which is the big deal. The biggest shocker that's buried in there is that their Canadian pricing is reasonable, it's $.15/min and free for texting, although the data is $.50/MB, which is bad, but not as bad as AT&T's astronomical $19/MB.

Yes, the data is theoretically expensive per unit volume. However, for a family who doesn't stream a lot of media, and just uses apps and web, and can wifi offload at home, the pricing is fantastic. You can add as many lines as you want to the 3GB for $60, but with Verizon, having 5 lines with data is a minimum of $100/mo, even with minimal data usage (300MB/line). Given that the average user is around 400MB/mo, this makes perfect sense.

The coverage for voice and text is also excellent, since they roam on Verizon. After Network Vision, this might be a compelling plan. The up-front costs of the phone are actually hugely offset by the savings. The only huge caveat is that you won't have data in many areas while traveling, since they do not offer data coverage on Verizon CDMA. It would be nice if they could at least get 1x roaming on Verizon, even if for a little extra fee.

One disappointing thing is that it appears that the Photon and Detail do not support SMR, but that the Samsung Conquer does.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to buddahbless

Re: Doesn't seem to be all that...

Family plans. Compare them to Verizon, and they're half the price.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to elray

Re: Unimpressive

Metro=1xRTT, roaming on Sprint

Ting= WiMAX/EVDO Rev.A, roaming on Verizon

BiggA

EARTH
reply to Duramax08

Re: Not that bad except for data

$60 over a 5 line family plan is better than paying $150 if each user is using 400-500MB average (typical).

BiggA

EARTH

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Re: Ting is reselling Sprint service

This will be a much better deal when Network Vision comes through and deals with that....

BiggA

EARTH
reply to BiggA

Re: Doesn't seem to be all that...

I just checked, and the individual plans aren't much of a deal. Family plans could easily save $100/mo.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to elefante72

Re: Not that bad

I stand corrected. It looks like they have some sort of rollover "credit" and I looked for Canada roaming and it's only $0.15c and NO charge for texts. For those travelling into Canada this is a great deal. It may even be competitive for Canadians (except for the phone#) that GV can deal with. So this is something to be interested in that usage case.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

The problems with sprint re sellers is that they often you only get to use sprint towers, no roaming on Verizon, which is what makes sprint's service usable nationwide
If you can roam to verizon and don't use a lot of data this could be a good deal.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to kapil

Re: 1-855-TING-FTW

That is pretty freaking awesome I won't be using them anytime soon, due to a series of reasons Verizon is actually the cheapest for me because of
Grandfathered unlimited ( I use an average of 3GB a month )
Grandfathered $10 500 Texts and unlimited verizon to verizon
(unlimited verizon to verizon calls) in my area NJ, almost everyone has verizon, I can only think of two friends/family who don't have it, so on my 450 min plan I often use 1500 minutes but 1300 of them are V to V so they are free.
Fios Quadruple play bundle

After all of these special cases I pay $76 a month, for what in my usage patterns is almost unlimited everything.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to MovieLover76

You can roam to Verizon for voice and SMS. Unfortunately, no data roaming. Quite true, Sprint's network is built to roam on Verizon, as there are obvious holes that Sprint feels are cheaper to keep there and roam than to fill in.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to MovieLover76

Re: 1-855-TING-FTW

Let us know what you do when it's time to get a new device.

sup

@comcast.net
reply to BiggA

Re: Family plans

Thats the thing, you basically buy the phone outright and still pay $6 per month, that is pretty good, but why not just buy the iphone outright and bring it over to ting? They should be able to hook it up.

BiggA

EARTH

As of right now, we don't know if Ting will do BYOD. I'm guess not, as Sprint doesn't do it.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

* y a w n *

A few niceties like no because we can charges and tethering
but data prices are nothing compared to the big 3
equally sleepy is SMS a "service" that costs nothing to proivide
-
Karl there are 5 tiers not 6 unless you consider a $0 plan with 0minutes, 0 megabytes and 0 sms a "tier"

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

What about roaming and regulatory fee?

Is roaming within the U.S. included? I am currently on PagePlus (a Verizon MVNO) and I have to pay $0.29/min when I roam off of U.S. Cellular towers.....

Also, how much are regulatory fees? I don't like that they don't tell you this on their site. Since I am pretty sure it varies based on where you live, they could easily ask for your zip code and it would display how much these fees are.

It seems that most MVNOs (including PagePlus) include any regulatory fees in their price, so it is odd that Ting does not just include them.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to BiggA

Bottom line

said by ting:

Ting might treat you better, but we would not be cheaper than your current plan

Seems to say it all.

I hit 6Gb to 12Gb on Data on some months... they can't touch it and I am grandfathered in on Verizon @30.00 a month for unlimited data.

(pipes in MC Hammer, can't touch this)
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
reply to BigMac777

Re: Chart

said by BigMac777:

As we can see from the chart, this is another case of trying to figure it out. You have price for tex price for minutes and prices for whatever. Whatever happened to the single price point. Under MetroPCS $ 40 get you unlimited talk unlimited text and unlimited internet. It needs to be a simple one line price for all. But lets make it complicated and throw out a bunch of figures to confuse everybody.

I suspect you're right when it comes to the general population, but personally I love it. I don't use much data so given these plans my price point would be much lower than $40. Not to mention "unlimited" is b/s and it's never unlimited. Not to mention you can tether which may come in handy sometimes.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to BiggA

said by BiggA:

Metro=1xRTT, roaming on Sprint

Ting= WiMAX/EVDO Rev.A, roaming on Verizon

Noted, but I've yet to understand why data speeds matter so, especially on a tiny handset, in the context of the forum poster (not you) who rails against usage-based charges for data, and in this case, volume charges that even I might consider on the high side at $21-30/marginal GB. If you're tethering, there are better ways to handle both itinerant, intermittent, and volume use.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to Veloslave

Re: Bottom line

An MVNO can't exactly tailor to highly abusive users.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to elray

The data prices are bad if you look at them per GB. However, if you have a family of 4 or 5 that each averages 400MB/mo, or may even less, just for basic mobile web/email and occasional streaming, and you compare that to a Verizon plan, this could really be huge.

bville

@rr.com
reply to crazyk4952

Re: What about roaming and regulatory fee?

Will Ting charge me for voice, text, and data usage while on WiFi or only while directly on the Spring 3G/4G? Or will WiFi usage not count toward official usage?? Thx.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Veloslave

Re: Bottom line

once they begin throttling it after X gigabytes it won't be worth more than $10 a month, if anything. verizon learned to monetize data from AT&T's anti-competitive tactics so paying for unlimited really is paying for limited, they just thread the needle a different way.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

said by VIVID IMAGINATION :

once they begin throttling it after X gigabytes it won't be worth more than $10 a month, if anything. verizon learned to monetize data from AT&T's anti-competitive tactics so paying for unlimited really is paying for limited, they just thread the needle a different way.

Did you dream that up during a paranoid bad nights sleep or would you care to share a single shred of evidence?

(And FTR, in case it matters to anyone else suffering from delusional tel-com disorder) I do not use that kind of data all the time... most months are under a gig checking email but depending on the type of work or travel... I can really rack it up. I HAVE NEVER been subjected to, nor do I expect, any throttling. (And neither have some people's imaginations)
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to BiggA

said by BiggA:

An MVNO can't exactly tailor to highly abusive users.

How do you abuse unlimited?

BiggA

EARTH

The MVNO has to pay per byte. In the US, we massively overpay for our cell phones just to have huge buckets of minutes and "unlimited" stuff, when we'd be much better off if we paid for what we actually used, but at a reasonable rate, like what Ting is doing.

DataRiker
Premium

1 recommendation

I'm just going to assume your replying to someone else as it has nothing to do with my question.

Frankly its a really slimy thing to do, sell people unlimited then call them abusers for using it.

BiggA

EARTH

My point is Ting doesn't offer unlimited, and can't at a reasonable price, because they have to pay on a per byte basis to Sprint. Nothing is truly unlimited, even the local buffet.

DataRiker
Premium

3 edits

Yes we know they don't offer unlimited.

Many do.

BiggA

EARTH

Sprint's own.