dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-15 14:39:55: "Data consumption right now is growing 40% a year," John Stankey of AT&T recently told investors, numbers confirmed by CEO Randall Stephenson on a recent investor call. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

1 recommendation

firedrakes

thats att for you

they do love to lie alot
NeoandGeo
join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

NeoandGeo

I love reading these articles, while sensationalist, they offer the bare naked truth.
voipnpots
join:2011-10-13
USA

voipnpots to firedrakes

to firedrakes

Re: thats att for you

...and charge a lot.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

1 recommendation

BiggA

Premium Member

Karl is at it again

Trying to propagate the lie that AT&T is a massive spectrum squatter (CLR and PCS are used for HSPA+, SMH and AWS will be used for LTE), and that their network would magically fix itself if it were somehow "managed" better, whatever that means. Maybe capping users off at 100MB? I'm sure he'd be real happy about THAT.

delusion ftl
@comcast.net

delusion ftl

Anon

Always seemed strange to me

ATT has approx 100 million customers. The US does not have 100 million people in areas only populated by ATT/vzw signal. Why are users not flocking OFF ATT by the millions to more affordable and (apparently) less constrained service providers.
While the "coverage" red herring gets thrown around a lot and admittedly some users don't really have choice, the bulk of the 100 million would be just fine on other carriers. The 2 year price difference between ATT/VZW and the others (Sprint/Tmo) approaches 1000 dollars. For most of those 100 million 1000 dollars is significant.
Back in the old days when the iPhone was only on ATT and you could arguably make the case that it was the best device, I suppose there was some additional constraints, but it's been two years since even steve jobs himself recognized the iPhone as 2nd tier. And you can get the iPhone on a lower cost carrier (we'll ignore how it will bankrupt sprint over the 4 year contract).

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to firedrakes

Premium Member

to firedrakes

said by firedrakes:

they do love to lie alot

They didn't lie at all. Right in their blog entry they talk about it including their WiFi network. It isin't their fault if people can't read or understand the terms.
»www.attinnovationspace.c ··· 185975=1

Only thing out of sorts here is Tim Farrar at TMF Associates who proceeds to knock down a strawman he set up. AT&T never claimed in the blog post these numbers were the same as cellphone data numbers. He accuses AT&T of trying to deceive everyone (without any proof) and then attacks AT&T for trying to fool him.

Alex J
@ecatel.net

Alex J

Anon

You're the one not reading that after admitting growth was slower than they had predicted, they included Wi-Fi to keep the numbers high.
Alex J

Alex J to BiggA

Anon

to BiggA

Re: Karl is at it again

AT&T is awful. They're spectrum squatters, anti-competitive, price gougers and suffer from the lowest customer satisfaction rates in the industry. They use bogus groups to bullhorn nonsense and they bribe Congress into passing protectionist crap law. There's a lot of lies out there, but AT&T being pretty disgusting is not among them...

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 to firedrakes

to firedrakes

How is it that if AT%T claims that data consumption is climbing 40% per year, its an exxageration, and is insignificant according to this website. If a study comes out that .05% people cut the cord this year, its a huge deal , and is headlines on this site twice a week? lol

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Alex J

Premium Member

to Alex J
Well it isn't lying, it's just marketing doublespeak meant to fool users who aren't very knowledgeable on the subject. It's the same as talking really fast while having the details in ultra small print.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to Alex J

Premium Member

to Alex J

They don't squat on spectrum, they're not any worse than any other carrier. In fact here, they are the best.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5

you can't count wi-fi. My smartphone has wi-fi I use that instead of my data so I don't use up all my data allotment and go over. If I had to rely on cell data only I would use less.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Well it is deceitful, as it's clearly marketing doublespeak. In the same breath, keeping up with how fast things are going up in use with both cell phone and wifi would be a good thing, as you can build out (at&t build out, LOL) with that in mind. However, this piece gives no distinction on the two, and I would have to agree with the article, no matter how slanted it is, that this is a deceitful articule written to gain support from dumb politicians.

ritchblasi
@mycingular.net

ritchblasi

Anon

Wireless Growth Claims

Regardless of what stats are used the fact of the matter is that there is limited spectrum available to handle the content-rich applications and services used by mobile customers. This will continue to grow (pick a number out of the air) as it has on the wired side of the house -- meaning more peple will access video, and soon use the same mobile data networks for their voice calling (mVoIP or VoLTE) - think Skype and Google Voice. If you've ever used them on a 3G or the "so called" 4G networks, you can go through your data plans quickly because they are bandwidth hogs. That eats up spectrum. No matter whether it's AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint, they all need spectrum and are all facing quality and capacity issues based on increased data usage. Numbers can be whatever anyone tells you - they can use them and mold them in any fashion they want. In reality, what it comes down to is the customers experience -- and that will change for the worse if more spectrum isn't made available through auctions.

Alex J
@jillyred.net

Alex J to BiggA

Anon

to BiggA

Yeah it's just quirky happenstance that all the spectrum is headed right into the pockets of AT&T and Verizon: »www.dailywireless.org/20 ··· carcity/
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to BiggA

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

They don't squat on spectrum, they're not any worse than any other carrier. In fact here, they are the best.

yeah they are awesome. I love how they mandate a minimum $20 data on smartphones but only provides EDGE data in my area which tops out at 130 kbps. On the plus side I don't have to worry about going over my data limit since it so fucking slow.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

Well it is deceitful, as it's clearly marketing doublespeak. In the same breath, keeping up with how fast things are going up in use with both cell phone and wifi would be a good thing, as you can build out (at&t build out, LOL) with that in mind. However, this piece gives no distinction on the two, and I would have to agree with the article, no matter how slanted it is, that this is a deceitful articule written to gain support from dumb politicians.

The whole reason for the existence of marketing departments is to put lipstick on a pig. Politicians are in the same exact business. I truly doubt any politicians are fooled by things put out by marketing departments.
WiWavelength
join:2011-11-16
Lawrence, KS

WiWavelength to BiggA

to BiggA

You accuse others of being "Sprint fanboys" when they reject what they perceive as your biased criticism of Sprint, yet you are always quick to jump in and deflect what you perceive as unfair accusations against AT&T. So, by your own standards of behavior, it must be fair to call you an "AT&T fanboy," correct? If not, then take a good look in the mirror, recognize your hypocritical actions, and admit that you, too, are operating on an agenda.

AJ

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to FFH5

to FFH5

they dont have to be
but they will say any thing you want them to for the right price
WiWavelength
join:2011-11-16
Lawrence, KS

WiWavelength to BiggA

to BiggA

said by BiggA:

That you need to substantiate. Your repeated assertion is woefully insufficient proof. Show us some AT&T spectrum utilization data that you have compiled or from an independent source.

To quote Jim Calhoun, the blowhard basketball coach from your home state of Connecticut, "Get some facts! And come back and see me."

AJ

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to delusion ftl

to delusion ftl

Re: Always seemed strange to me

3 things
1. iphone
2. related to 1 long term contracts with high ETFs want that shiny new iphone well you have to renew your contract so a lot of people are stuck now
3. most people are just sheep and dont want to be bother to switch or dont know better again iphones

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley to WiWavelength

to WiWavelength

said by WiWavelength:

That you need to substantiate. Your repeated assertion is woefully insufficient proof. Show us some AT&T spectrum utilization data that you have compiled or from an independent source.

That seems like a fair request...perhaps we can ask the same of Karl regarding his repeated assertions and references to his own editorials as proof that they are lying

Jason Hansel
@speakeasy.net

Jason Hansel

Anon

To do this you'd need AT&T to reveal raw network data, and that's not going to happen for obvious reasons. AT&T is the one consistently claiming that an unmanageable spectrum and network capacity crisis requires regulation X, law Y, or acquisition Z, so the burden of proof is on their shoulders.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Well yeah, bullshit articles without tons of cash under the table wouldn't fake a prostitute politician...
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

CANCEL

cancel your account now before you pay for service which sucks (aka throttled!)

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to elios

Premium Member

to elios

Re: Always seemed strange to me

At&t has the hsdpa network as well, which is the fastest on the current 3g iphone. If the iphone was on tmobile, or we get a lte iphone you might find different results...
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to FFH5

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by Metatron2008:

The whole reason for the existence of marketing departments is to put lipstick on a pig. Politicians are in the same exact business. I truly doubt any politicians are fooled by things put out by marketing departments.

Well then you don't know how politics works. The politicians have almost nothing to do with the data or bills. They spend their time drumming up campaign support. It's their young and inexperienced staffers, often with very little knowledge or understanding of the intrinsic issues, who the lobbyists meet with and are "taught" the new data. Those staffers then make recommendations to their bosses. So AT&T has a vested interest to convey their position.

Thus AT&T doesn't obfuscate and lie for the fun of it. They do it because it gets results, in large part because our political system is utterly broken.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

How is it that if AT%T claims that data consumption is climbing 40% per year, its an exxageration, and is insignificant according to this website. If a study comes out that .05% people cut the cord this year, its a huge deal , and is headlines on this site twice a week? lol

Technology advances. Landline growth has been growing 30% annually for the last decade, but bandwidth has grown cheaper even faster than consumption has increased. This is part of the reason capex has been steadily decreasing the last few years among the ISP monopolies/duopolies.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to sonicmerlin

Premium Member

to sonicmerlin
said by sonicmerlin:

said by FFH5:

said by Metatron2008:

Well then you don't know how politics works. The politicians have almost nothing to do with the data or bills. They spend their time drumming up campaign support. It's their young and inexperienced staffers, often with very little knowledge or understanding of the intrinsic issues, who the lobbyists meet with and are "taught" the new data. Those staffers then make recommendations to their bosses. So AT&T has a vested interest to convey their position.

Thus AT&T doesn't obfuscate and lie for the fun of it. They do it because it gets results, in large part because our political system is utterly broken.

No I think the post previous to yours sums up the reality very well:
»Re: thats att for you
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to BiggA

to BiggA

said by BiggA:

AT&T is your mother, your father, your wife, and your deity. It's a little disturbing.
page: 1 · 2 · next