dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-17 08:44:07: Despite constant tales of spectrum crisis from some corners (including Verizon), Verizon was already on record years ago stating they had plenty of spectrum for their LTE deployment. ..

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 edit

2 recommendations

Transmaster

Ugly Girl Sez

I'z got the frequencies and I'z going to keep them and no body else can use them.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

Re: Ugly Girls Sez

Or, the pretty girl says that she's got enough to do the job right unlike the lonely girl that claims she needs more and more without actually producing.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Plus...

Not said of course is "once we reduce caps even more and double the data fees, we will have even more bandwidth available". Actually I expect AT&T to go that route first.
markinect
join:2011-01-20
Lansing, MI

markinect to openbox9

to openbox9

Re: Ugly Girls Sez

She got enough spectrum after the purchase....so at this point they don't have enough spectrum
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to n2jtx

to n2jtx

Re: Plus...

What are you basing this assumption on? Voice fees have gone down over the years as the market and technology have matured. Data isn't likely to be any different.

The crying wolf around here is really getting old. I remember when cell phones were luxury items that were only affordable for big business and the rich. Per-minute charges used to run $1/min or more. Now it's counted with pennies. Wait a few years and data will evolve in a similar manner.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

said by Crookshanks:

What are you basing this assumption on? Voice fees have gone down over the years as the market and technology have matured. Data isn't likely to be any different.

The crying wolf around here is really getting old. I remember when cell phones were luxury items that were only affordable for big business and the rich. Per-minute charges used to run $1/min or more. Now it's counted with pennies. Wait a few years and data will evolve in a similar manner.

uh... maybe based on everyone going from unlimited, then to 5 gb, then to 2 gb?
FrontirCynic
join:2006-10-25
Long Beach, CA

FrontirCynic to n2jtx

to n2jtx
Actually I expect AT&T to go that route first.
FrontirCynic

FrontirCynic to n2jtx

to n2jtx
If you want to predict what ATT will do just figure out the most anti consumer route/thing you can. They will do that
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

eliminate unlimited = no need for new spectrum

when you charge by the byte, there's only so much consumers will consume so adjusting the goal posts to suit the company's profit margins better didn't do much for us consumers except put Verizon in greed mode, thinking one day they can try this crap on FIOS.

»en.wikiquote.org/w/index ··· t=Search

noogen
@generalmills.com

noogen to Crookshanks

Anon

to Crookshanks

Re: Plus...

Voice has went down? Are you kidding? How far should we go back? How about 10 years? T-Mobile new plan after they acquire Voicestream in 2002. »forums.wirelessadvisor.c ··· ans.html

That's $40 for 1000 minutes vs $45 for 1000 minutes today over 10 years period. They only made texting cheaper, which should've been free in the first place like other foreign countries. The more recent benefit they are giving now is low unlimited price of $50/month, but we all know too well what unlimited really means.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Re: eliminate unlimited = no need for new spectrum

FIOS has no reason to be capped, as it's fiber. Wireless has to be, as there are limits to how much data they can pump through the spectrum.
sides14
join:2007-11-29
Peoria, AZ

sides14

There is no Spectrum Chrunch

Truly the carriers do not need additional spectrum. They only need to build more sites. While this is an extremely expensive option, it is a viable option.

Why build more sites when you can just make your existing sites larger. More sites means a smaller footprint and less customers per site.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: eliminate unlimited = no need for new spectrum

said by BiggA:

FIOS has no reason to be capped, as it's fiber. Wireless has to be, as there are limits to how much data they can pump through the spectrum.

When Comcast, Time Warner and AT&T were all in favor of caps, Verizon execs were foaming at the mouth that it could be possible to gouge consumers in the most competitive markets. Don't let current policy fool anyone. They would, if they could (get away with it)!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Not if they are in a competitive market. Comcast soft caps at 250GB, so anything less than they, and Verizon would be in trouble, and would lose their competitive edge. It would also be hard to justify capping fiber, at least cable has a sort-of argument, since it is a shared medium. FIOS is shared to the point that every customer can suck 75mbps at the same time.