spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-21 10:42:12: 3DTV marketing started seriously ramping up in 2010, with companies like Comcast, Cablevision and Verizon all trying to out hype one another via "first" 3DTV sports broadcasts. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA

Not using because ....

I have a Samsung LN46B650 connected HDTV. It is on the network, but I don't use the features because it is painfully slow. Granted this was an early venture into the connected TV realm. It's a much better experience to use the Roku or AppleTV, than it the Samsung.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

1 recommendation

Lazy

I think the main reason is that people are lazy.
That, and let's face it - content isn't the same on such apps.

Until you can watch the show that just aired, within minutes of it airing, instead of DAYS (as most networks seem to have done), it just won't be as appealing or useful.

Personally, I'm very glad to have connected a full PC to my TV. All the hype about a little app here or there, or some shiny new thing doesn't concern me much. Whatever these apps can do, I'm sure my media center PC can also do.

The concept is neat, but the usefulness factor is limited.

All that being said, it is nice for some things. Netflix "built in" is a nice concept, which will surely see more and more uptake. One less external device to haggle with, which is a good thing.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
yeah HTPC all the way for me.

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo

join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA
reply to voiptalk

Re: Not using because ....

Same thing with my LN50B650... It's connected to the network and all but it's so slow to load up even simple stuff like the weather that I just don't use it.

My friend bought another Samsung model last year and his stuff is MUCH faster. He uses his TV constantly to stream Netflix.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to amungus

Re: Lazy

said by amungus:

Until you can watch the show that just aired, within minutes of it airing, instead of DAYS ...

"Days?" How about, for some of the most popular content, never?

We signed-up for Hulu Plus assuming we'd be able to do-away with the DVD recorder. Nope. Most of the stuff in which either my wife or I would've been interested simply is not there. Period. In fact: Other than the Daily Show, which I used to enjoy, we found absolutely nothing on HP to justify the $8/mo. So we canceled it.

Netflix is pretty useful, so we kept that.

What we do watch via streaming is watched via our Panasonic Blu-ray player. The TV's connected, but doesn't have any capabilities other than talking to my DLNA server and downloading new firmware. It's a fairly recent (less than a year old) Samsung, too.

So far I'm massively underwhelmed with streaming content.

wcda

join:2001-12-06
Macon, GA
I have a LG 3d plasma smart tv that I use to connect to my computer to allow me to stream media content wirelessly from the computer to the TV using Nero Media Home 4 Essentials. It allowed me to use My Media center extender on another TV that did not have wireless.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit

Tivo's Netflix application sucks

It frequently locks up, has an annoying aspect ratio bug, and sound sync problems.

I have an HTPC that I use for Netflix, Hulu and similar streaming but it is "too complicated" for my wife to use.

Having Netflix Hulu, etc. in the TV would be a "nice feature", but not something I would pay extra for.

sparc

join:2006-05-06

Poor performance killed connected tvs

very limited apps, painfully slow, lack of a keyboard in early sets, poor user interface... the list goes on and on.

Apple is going to wipe the floor with the rest of the sets simply because they care about the apps, user interface, and speed of the system.

Most TV manufactures are great at building hardware, but when it comes to design and user interaction they fail miserably.

drjunky9

join:2005-09-14
Taneytown, MD

Laziness, money, convenience

I have to agree with the fact that a large factor is laziness and the built in apps not doing much that people want.

For example, I know someone who bought a pricey Sony tv with all these bells and whistles and it's been over a year and it's still not connected to their wi-fi. They do pay for Netflix but they say setting up streaming is too much hassle and they prefer to just get the DVDs as what they usually want is on DVD, not necessarily streaming.

On the other hand, I have an internet connected tv, but I also have an HTPC using Windows Media Center. Most of the apps on my tv require a subscription (Hulu+, Netflix, etc) so I don't use those. I end up using my HTPC for almost everything. There's only one app I use on my tv (rarely) which is Crunchyroll so I can catch some anime (especially since Disney seems to have given up on showing an edited Naruto Shippuden). If they had a WMC plugin I'd probably use that instead. All Crunchyroll has is a Boxee plugin, but since I record some shows OTA, I use WMC instead. If they had a WMC plugin, I'd probably never use any of the internet apps on the tv.

If manufacturers want people to use the tvs online, they need to address the three factors of laziness, cost, and convenience. I doubt they'll do it though as any extra options they can toss into a tv to inflate the price makes them happier.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

The TV guide never worked right either

I have an older Mitsubishi with the on screen TV Guide app and it took forever to get the info probably because it took it from the TV signal. I only use it in very basic mode and sometimes, it is way off.

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA
reply to jseymour

Re: Lazy

And the Daily Show is available from DailyShow.com for free anyway.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to voiptalk

I have a 70" Sharp Aquos. I connected it when I first got it. But I haven't found a reason to use any of the connectivity features. I already use my PS3 for streaming content from my computer. Sure, the TV has Hulu and Netflix apps, but 1) they're overpriced and the quality sucks, and 2) I can access Netflix through my PS3, XBox 360, and Wii if I really wanted to.

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to voiptalk
And, when everything changes again (media formats, containers, new services, etc.), it's much easier to handle buying a new $100-$200 box to attach to your non-connected TV, than to buy a new $1000-$2000 TV.

MonkeyLick78

join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

My main problem is that the apps are usually worse on the sets. Some of them are slow or just slightly above useless. Netflix is ok on my st30 but still not as good as on something like a PS3. It's a good idea that just needed a little more effort put towards it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Ugh

The whole "smart TV" thing is annoying. My parents bought a Samsung TV with their smart interface... which is identical to the smart interface on their Samsung bluray player. So they never use the one on their TV. Even on the bluray player, the only thing they'd ever use is netflix.

The "smart TV" interface is painfully slow and horribly designed, an unusable mess. Hopefully, Apple will shake up this market with their TV. I don't think I'd actually buy one, but they have a habit of spurring their competitors.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

1 edit

I have one- not much use

Have Panasonic that has buit in access to Netflix,Amazon,Vudu and facebook. Used it a couple of time for Netflix but since xbox also has netflix option and so does ps3 and wii, the winner is usually the one that happens to be on at the time.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to voiptalk

A can confirm the slowness thing being so annoying the features aren't used.

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY
reply to thegeek
I just got that set as well. The streaming quality is less than the streaming quality of my computer that's also connected to it. Not worth the hassle especially with its lousy interface.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

My Samsung TV

The LN40D550 has network but to non of those other services like facebook and so on.. My PS3 already does netflix and hulu + so I did not see the need for the tv to have it. Now it can stream stuff from a computer and all but I have not used that feature yet.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:17

Netflix... thats it

I can't see the need for facebook, or any other apps on the TV at this time.

Netflix however is quite nice on my Samsung UN46D7000, and it is silent, unlikely my jet engine aka Rev1 PS3.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to sparc

Re: Poor performance killed connected tvs

said by sparc:

Apple is going to wipe the floor with the rest of the sets simply because they care about the apps, user interface, and speed of the system.

Yeah, because Apple TV has just been wiping up the floor, why can't Apple do it with an Apple iHDTV. /sarcasm

How are they going to wipe up the competition?
- Are they going to revolutionize the UI/UX? They already have the interface with the Apple TV. Why wasn't it done for that already? It's not like the technology wasn't there.
- Are they going to make the TV thinner? There's already ultra thin displays in the market.
- Are they going to increase the size? There's already everything from ultra small to ultra large displays in the market.
- Are they going to make the resolution better? 1080p is the max anyone is going to use for some time and even that is confined to bluray discs.
- Are they going to have a 'retina display'? Useless when you are more then a few feet away.

If the rumors are correct, paying a 350% premium for a 42" TV that you can talk to and wave your hand at sounds like guaranteed commercial success and how can it end badly? /sarcasm again

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

I have a 70" Sharp Aquos. I connected it when I first got it. But I haven't found a reason to use any of the connectivity features. I already use my PS3 for streaming content from my computer. Sure, the TV has Hulu and Netflix apps, but 1) they're overpriced and the quality sucks, and 2) I can access Netflix through my PS3, XBox 360, and Wii if I really wanted to.

I have a Vizio for the bedroom and I use Netflix and Flingo. Not one other feature on the TV useful. Face Book? With no keyboard? That's as useful as a fart in a wind storm. Weather app sucks, no Hulu but Hulu Plus. You are much better off getting a Roku or a cheap laptop to connect to your TV I would go cheap laptop.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

I have a linux box

I have a linux box hooked up to my TV. Why pay the high price of a "internet" ready TV, when all I have to do is take a PC I currently own and attach it to the TV.
The use Netflix/Itunes/Boxee/Hulu plus as well as Network sites for video streams.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Box is better.

Roku can easily be replaced when something better comes along. You're stuck with what's in the TV (although you can always add a Roku or ATV to it). I'd connect one to my network if I had one, but I doubt I'd use it very much.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

Multisource hdmi

once you have multisource hdmi-input.. just send video from the computer.. and be done with it..

A big extra would be if you have an ultra quality video card that extends over 3+ monitors (multiple displayport, hdmi, dvi outputs).

If all else fails, burn a blu ray disc!

haggishelper

join:2010-03-31
Mesa, AZ

What happened to just using a monitor

When I was in the market for a new TV several years ago the Plasma TVs were all the rage for picture quality etc... I wanted to save money and just buy a monitor with out the tuner integrated. I was unable to purchase this type of item for the size that I wanted to get. If a customer does have other devices that provide content why not sell a bare-bones TV/monitor in the larger sizes.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to BiggA

Re: Box is better.

said by BiggA:

Roku can easily be replaced when something better comes along. You're stuck with what's in the TV (although you can always add a Roku or ATV to it). I'd connect one to my network if I had one, but I doubt I'd use it very much.

I don't understand the comments about being stuck with what's on the TV. My one 'smart' TV takes firmware updates all the time and there have been occasions when new apps have appeared. Same as with Blu-ray player, network receivers, etc. Yes, manufacturers are not going to keep updating forever as they need a reason to market new models I guess. But on the whole you are not stuck with what came out the box. Maybe some brands don't ever update?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
You're stuck hardware wise. Boxes can introduce new hardware as needed.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz

Re: Ugh

said by Guspaz:

The whole "smart TV" thing is annoying.

Agreed. Most people (myself included) buy TVs to hook them up to other stuff which likely does everything "smart TVs" are poised to do better than smartTV are likely to do any time soon... and as others mentioned, much easier/cheaper to change/upgrade an external box when new content types, apps, etc. come out that require new hardware than changing the whole damned TV every time.

dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
reply to BiggA

Re: Box is better.

I agree. I have net apps on my LG Blu Ray player, I use that mostly for Vudu. I prefer the Netflix app on my Roku box, which gets tons of use.
In January I replaced a beast of a tv with a LG flat panel 42 inch. The Samsung was a 2003 30 inch tube HD set, weighing a wiping 150 lbs. 2 component in for inputs. Was no fun putting out for Boston Recycling. Still worked ok, but the brightness was starting to go. I chose the non net app tv to save some money. My parents have the next model up, which has net apps and a nicer ui.