dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-21 10:42:12: 3DTV marketing started seriously ramping up in 2010, with companies like Comcast, Cablevision and Verizon all trying to out hype one another via "first" 3DTV sports broadcasts. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk

Not using because ....

I have a Samsung LN46B650 connected HDTV. It is on the network, but I don't use the features because it is painfully slow. Granted this was an early venture into the connected TV realm. It's a much better experience to use the Roku or AppleTV, than it the Samsung.

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

R4M0N

Re: Not using because ....

Same thing with my LN50B650... It's connected to the network and all but it's so slow to load up even simple stuff like the weather that I just don't use it.

My friend bought another Samsung model last year and his stuff is MUCH faster. He uses his TV constantly to stream Netflix.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to voiptalk

Premium Member

to voiptalk
I have a 70" Sharp Aquos. I connected it when I first got it. But I haven't found a reason to use any of the connectivity features. I already use my PS3 for streaming content from my computer. Sure, the TV has Hulu and Netflix apps, but 1) they're overpriced and the quality sucks, and 2) I can access Netflix through my PS3, XBox 360, and Wii if I really wanted to.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00

I just got that set as well. The streaming quality is less than the streaming quality of my computer that's also connected to it. Not worth the hassle especially with its lousy interface.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to thegeek

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

I have a 70" Sharp Aquos. I connected it when I first got it. But I haven't found a reason to use any of the connectivity features. I already use my PS3 for streaming content from my computer. Sure, the TV has Hulu and Netflix apps, but 1) they're overpriced and the quality sucks, and 2) I can access Netflix through my PS3, XBox 360, and Wii if I really wanted to.

I have a Vizio for the bedroom and I use Netflix and Flingo. Not one other feature on the TV useful. Face Book? With no keyboard? That's as useful as a fart in a wind storm. Weather app sucks, no Hulu but Hulu Plus. You are much better off getting a Roku or a cheap laptop to connect to your TV I would go cheap laptop.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
said by thegeek:

Sure, the TV has Hulu and Netflix apps, but 1) they're overpriced and the quality sucks,

That happens when you try to do it all.
you do it all but nothing well.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13 to voiptalk

to voiptalk
And, when everything changes again (media formats, containers, new services, etc.), it's much easier to handle buying a new $100-$200 box to attach to your non-connected TV, than to buy a new $1000-$2000 TV.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by talz13:

And, when everything changes again (media formats, containers, new services, etc.), it's much easier to handle buying a new $100-$200 box to attach to your non-connected TV, than to buy a new $1000-$2000 TV.

Nope, the TV just needs a Firmware update to upgrade it to the latest standards and codecs. My Sony LED/LCD HDTV has had 2 major firmware updates in the last Year. The updates sped up operation plus Sony even added new features and services.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

I've had bad experiences with updates to consumer equipment. If a format isn't supported on day one, I'd rather wait or find something that does support it.

Also, are they going to continue to support your TV 4 or 5 years down the road? I'd still rather not replace a perfectly good 65" TV just because the extra services are no longer current.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix to voiptalk

to voiptalk
A can confirm the slowness thing being so annoying the features aren't used.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

1 recommendation

amungus

Premium Member

Lazy

I think the main reason is that people are lazy.
That, and let's face it - content isn't the same on such apps.

Until you can watch the show that just aired, within minutes of it airing, instead of DAYS (as most networks seem to have done), it just won't be as appealing or useful.

Personally, I'm very glad to have connected a full PC to my TV. All the hype about a little app here or there, or some shiny new thing doesn't concern me much. Whatever these apps can do, I'm sure my media center PC can also do.

The concept is neat, but the usefulness factor is limited.

All that being said, it is nice for some things. Netflix "built in" is a nice concept, which will surely see more and more uptake. One less external device to haggle with, which is a good thing.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Re: Lazy

yeah HTPC all the way for me.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to amungus

to amungus
said by amungus:

Until you can watch the show that just aired, within minutes of it airing, instead of DAYS ...

"Days?" How about, for some of the most popular content, never?

We signed-up for Hulu Plus assuming we'd be able to do-away with the DVD recorder. Nope. Most of the stuff in which either my wife or I would've been interested simply is not there. Period. In fact: Other than the Daily Show, which I used to enjoy, we found absolutely nothing on HP to justify the $8/mo. So we canceled it.

Netflix is pretty useful, so we kept that.

What we do watch via streaming is watched via our Panasonic Blu-ray player. The TV's connected, but doesn't have any capabilities other than talking to my DLNA server and downloading new firmware. It's a fairly recent (less than a year old) Samsung, too.

So far I'm massively underwhelmed with streaming content.

wcda
join:2001-12-06
Macon, GA

wcda

Re: Lazy

I have a LG 3d plasma smart tv that I use to connect to my computer to allow me to stream media content wirelessly from the computer to the TV using Nero Media Home 4 Essentials. It allowed me to use My Media center extender on another TV that did not have wireless.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
And the Daily Show is available from DailyShow.com for free anyway.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

1 edit

b10010011

Tivo's Netflix application sucks

It frequently locks up, has an annoying aspect ratio bug, and sound sync problems.

I have an HTPC that I use for Netflix, Hulu and similar streaming but it is "too complicated" for my wife to use.

Having Netflix Hulu, etc. in the TV would be a "nice feature", but not something I would pay extra for.
sparc
join:2006-05-06

sparc

Poor performance killed connected tvs

very limited apps, painfully slow, lack of a keyboard in early sets, poor user interface... the list goes on and on.

Apple is going to wipe the floor with the rest of the sets simply because they care about the apps, user interface, and speed of the system.

Most TV manufactures are great at building hardware, but when it comes to design and user interaction they fail miserably.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Re: Poor performance killed connected tvs

said by sparc:

Apple is going to wipe the floor with the rest of the sets simply because they care about the apps, user interface, and speed of the system.

Yeah, because Apple TV has just been wiping up the floor, why can't Apple do it with an Apple iHDTV. /sarcasm

How are they going to wipe up the competition?
- Are they going to revolutionize the UI/UX? They already have the interface with the Apple TV. Why wasn't it done for that already? It's not like the technology wasn't there.
- Are they going to make the TV thinner? There's already ultra thin displays in the market.
- Are they going to increase the size? There's already everything from ultra small to ultra large displays in the market.
- Are they going to make the resolution better? 1080p is the max anyone is going to use for some time and even that is confined to bluray discs.
- Are they going to have a 'retina display'? Useless when you are more then a few feet away.

If the rumors are correct, paying a 350% premium for a 42" TV that you can talk to and wave your hand at sounds like guaranteed commercial success and how can it end badly? /sarcasm again
sparc
join:2006-05-06

sparc

all i was trying to indicate was that the bar was set terribly low from existing manufacturers.

Anyone could come in and do better than the existing manufacturers. That's how badly they've botched things.

You way overstated my Apple comment as they will barely have to do anything to make a better experience than what's out there now.
jp10558
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY

jp10558

Premium Member

Botched connected TV maybe, but as a TV they work fine and are pretty understandable to all tech level users. Someone might take over the connected tv market, but I doubt it - it's an odd market niche as it is. Anyone who wants features pretty much wants a box they can change out more often than the TV as the features are changing pretty fast. I.e for a while Netflix was fine for video, but now there's hulu, amazon, maybe new ones around the corner. USB playback of avi was ok at one time, now you might want mkv ...

And on and on.
drjunky9
join:2005-09-14
Taneytown, MD

drjunky9

Laziness, money, convenience

I have to agree with the fact that a large factor is laziness and the built in apps not doing much that people want.

For example, I know someone who bought a pricey Sony tv with all these bells and whistles and it's been over a year and it's still not connected to their wi-fi. They do pay for Netflix but they say setting up streaming is too much hassle and they prefer to just get the DVDs as what they usually want is on DVD, not necessarily streaming.

On the other hand, I have an internet connected tv, but I also have an HTPC using Windows Media Center. Most of the apps on my tv require a subscription (Hulu+, Netflix, etc) so I don't use those. I end up using my HTPC for almost everything. There's only one app I use on my tv (rarely) which is Crunchyroll so I can catch some anime (especially since Disney seems to have given up on showing an edited Naruto Shippuden). If they had a WMC plugin I'd probably use that instead. All Crunchyroll has is a Boxee plugin, but since I record some shows OTA, I use WMC instead. If they had a WMC plugin, I'd probably never use any of the internet apps on the tv.

If manufacturers want people to use the tvs online, they need to address the three factors of laziness, cost, and convenience. I doubt they'll do it though as any extra options they can toss into a tv to inflate the price makes them happier.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

The TV guide never worked right either

I have an older Mitsubishi with the on screen TV Guide app and it took forever to get the info probably because it took it from the TV signal. I only use it in very basic mode and sometimes, it is way off.

MonkeyLick78
join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

MonkeyLick78

My main problem is that the apps are usually worse on the sets. Some of them are slow or just slightly above useless. Netflix is ok on my st30 but still not as good as on something like a PS3. It's a good idea that just needed a little more effort put towards it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Ugh

The whole "smart TV" thing is annoying. My parents bought a Samsung TV with their smart interface... which is identical to the smart interface on their Samsung bluray player. So they never use the one on their TV. Even on the bluray player, the only thing they'd ever use is netflix.

The "smart TV" interface is painfully slow and horribly designed, an unusable mess. Hopefully, Apple will shake up this market with their TV. I don't think I'd actually buy one, but they have a habit of spurring their competitors.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

Re: Ugh

said by Guspaz:

The whole "smart TV" thing is annoying.

Agreed. Most people (myself included) buy TVs to hook them up to other stuff which likely does everything "smart TVs" are poised to do better than smartTV are likely to do any time soon... and as others mentioned, much easier/cheaper to change/upgrade an external box when new content types, apps, etc. come out that require new hardware than changing the whole damned TV every time.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by Guspaz:

The whole "smart TV" thing is annoying.

Agreed. Most people (myself included) buy TVs to hook them up to other stuff which likely does everything "smart TVs" are poised to do better than smartTV are likely to do any time soon... and as others mentioned, much easier/cheaper to change/upgrade an external box when new content types, apps, etc. come out that require new hardware than changing the whole damned TV every time.

No. Most people buy TVs to watch TV on! Who cares if new content types come out? I won't care. I have no interest in buying a BlueRay player or Roku or Tivo or any of that. I bought a Samsung Smart TV last September because I had finally gotten tired of not having a TV for ten years and during that ten years I NEVER ONCE went to a movie theatre and watched one movie only on my computer and hated watching it on a 5:4 monitor (I don't want a widecreen monitor either).

I could have spent $100 less and gotten the model withOUT the browser but I thought it might be fun...but I need the Samsung qwerty remote to use it and enjoy the browser. I have the TV hooked up to the internet but I have not hooked my PC to it and don't plan to. I can access files on the PC via Allshare software and that is all the access I need between my computer and my TV. So, don't say everyone buys a TV to hook it up to other stuff as that is not true at all.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Mele20:

So, don't say everyone buys a TV to hook it up to other stuff as that is not true at all.

I said *MOST* people, NOT *all* people.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

1 edit

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

I have one- not much use

Have Panasonic that has buit in access to Netflix,Amazon,Vudu and facebook. Used it a couple of time for Netflix but since xbox also has netflix option and so does ps3 and wii, the winner is usually the one that happens to be on at the time.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

My Samsung TV

The LN40D550 has network but to non of those other services like facebook and so on.. My PS3 already does netflix and hulu + so I did not see the need for the tv to have it. Now it can stream stuff from a computer and all but I have not used that feature yet.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA

odog

Premium Member

Netflix... thats it

I can't see the need for facebook, or any other apps on the TV at this time.

Netflix however is quite nice on my Samsung UN46D7000, and it is silent, unlikely my jet engine aka Rev1 PS3.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I have a linux box

I have a linux box hooked up to my TV. Why pay the high price of a "internet" ready TV, when all I have to do is take a PC I currently own and attach it to the TV.
The use Netflix/Itunes/Boxee/Hulu plus as well as Network sites for video streams.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Box is better.

Roku can easily be replaced when something better comes along. You're stuck with what's in the TV (although you can always add a Roku or ATV to it). I'd connect one to my network if I had one, but I doubt I'd use it very much.

•••
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Multisource hdmi

once you have multisource hdmi-input.. just send video from the computer.. and be done with it..

A big extra would be if you have an ultra quality video card that extends over 3+ monitors (multiple displayport, hdmi, dvi outputs).

If all else fails, burn a blu ray disc!
haggishelper
join:2010-03-31
Mesa, AZ

haggishelper

What happened to just using a monitor

When I was in the market for a new TV several years ago the Plasma TVs were all the rage for picture quality etc... I wanted to save money and just buy a monitor with out the tuner integrated. I was unable to purchase this type of item for the size that I wanted to get. If a customer does have other devices that provide content why not sell a bare-bones TV/monitor in the larger sizes.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Re: What happened to just using a monitor

said by haggishelper:

When I was in the market for a new TV several years ago the Plasma TVs were all the rage for picture quality etc... I wanted to save money and just buy a monitor with out the tuner integrated. I was unable to purchase this type of item for the size that I wanted to get. If a customer does have other devices that provide content why not sell a bare-bones TV/monitor in the larger sizes.

Try Microcenter.com (a computer store). I remember seeing monitors in the 40+" range having both HDMI and DVI inputs. You might be able to find these larger sizes online. Biggest might be 50" for 52-70 inch range they're going to be HDTVs of various kinds.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to haggishelper

Premium Member

to haggishelper
with how many people use cable/sat these days I am surprised that the companies have not started to sell TVs without the tuner.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

worthless

I looked at an internet ready tv. It was $200 - $300 more than the same TV in a non internet form. I got a Roku 2 for 89 bucks that I can use and carry to the hotel when i travel and watch tv streamed (if the hotel internet doesn't suck - most do) or from my USB stick on the Roku.
Expand your moderator at work

joshuaren
@ascentdata.com

joshuaren

Anon

Remote app

I have a Samsung UN46D6300 and the only feature I regularly use is the remote app on my iphone...It is probably the second best thing about the tv (behind the picture quality) and it never ceases to amaze my friends. I do the same thing with my Dish Network receiver (which is even cooler because you can search for shows very easily). But I rarely use the web browser or facebook and I use netflix on ps3....
OCP
Premium Member
join:2004-10-11
USA

OCP

Premium Member

Too complicated

I helped my friend set up his new smart TV and all he had to do was enter the key for the WiFi. It took him about a year to figure it out. He still doesn't use it. His Blu-ray player has all of the same functions. Also, a lot of the content requires extra payments. You'd presume that some of that was included in the price of the more expensive networked device...

My Blu-ray player was connected, but I never used the features. Too limited. HTPC kicks buttocks by comparison.

I'm hoping 3DTV just fades away again. No interest.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Jack of all trades master of none.

Just like many other multi-function devices, the connected TVs have many drawbacks. They can't excel at everything.

The connected TVs will likely never reach the same level of performance, features, usability, and customization as a dedicated network STB device or an HTPC.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

You need a connected TV to avoid all the expense

Why would I want to pay my cable company tons of money for digital cable for 300+ crap stations I never watch? Or why do I need to rent a crappy set top box that won't let me use my Samsung remote? Or why do I need to buy Tivo or Roku? That makes no sense. My condo building has bulk analog TWC TV. I have a Samsung 46" HDTV purchased last September. It has an internet browser. I watch all the TV that I like via clearqam in HD and without needing to pay TWC its ever increasing monthly fee for an ugly set top box with a crappy remote I am required to use thus having to fumble between it and the Samsung remote. I get a fair number of channels in digital form as well as all analog and all the broadcast HD ones and some other HD ones.

What is Boxee, or Xbox 360? Whatever they are why would I want to buy them in order to have connectivity options when I PURPOSELY bought a Samsung HDTV with internet browser and all Samsung apps for that purpose? I know several people here who have bought this exact Samsung I have just for streaming Netflix. I know a bunch of folks who have their Samsungs connected...that is what they bought them for. I don't understand this contention that folks are buying SMART Samsungs and then not connecting them...or even other brands...(but Samsungs have the most apps).

I can stream from Netflix, Hulu Plus, and, finally now, from Blockbuster, and many others for movies and TV shows directly from the TV using Samsung apps. I don't have my computer connected to the TV except via Allshare for accessing files on the computer. I have a bunch of apps on the TV and every time I turn it on it seems it updates for new apps.

The web browser I don't use much but that is because I don't have Samsung's qwerty keyboard remote and it is rather pricey. Trying to navigate the web without a keyboard (except virtual) or mouse is rather slow, irritating and painful. It is even easiest to register for sites like streaming Hulu Plus, etc using my PC rather than trying to use a virtual keyboard to do it via Samsung app. I noticed that Blockbuster requires registering on your computer not through the app.

I was interested to see Blockbuster finally added to Samsung apps when I checked a few days ago. I have always hated renting movies and having to return them in a specified period of time. So, I rarely rented movies. Now I have Blockbuster (which still has a large popular store in my town) available for streaming whenever I want with no driving to get it or making a special trip to return it within the time limit. Samsung (contrary to recent reports) has already made Blockbuster available...no waiting until June like the reports say. The movies are $2.99 and $3.99 mostly and TV shows are coming soon. I won't rent many but occasionally and it will sure beat driving to BB to rent and return.

I'm waiting for Samsung to add Amazon app. I have not subscribed yet to Hulu Plus or Netflix (which looks much less useful) but will this summer so I can stream all nine years of Gray's Anatomy that I missed when I had no TV for ten years until last September.

Edit: To you naysayers please tell me why I should spend money on a BluRay player? I have a TV to stream. I don't need or want a BluRay player. (I HATED my stereo VCR in its day...a total waste of $350). You guys who are poohpooing these TVs are doing so because you already spent tons of money on devices no longer needed. I don't see this TV becoming obsolete in the next 9-10 years it should last. VCR was around for a LONG time. Plus, I just want to stream OCCASIONAL movies, meaning maybe one or two a month no more, and catch up on all the back TV shows I missed during the ten years I didn't have a TV. Streaming with no need to purchase a lot of fancy, expensive equipment beyond my Smart Samsung TV will do just fine.

••••••
page: 1 · 2 · next