dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-21 12:38:55: With the 4G term now abused to include everything from carrier pigeon to cans and string, it's not too surprising to see AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile all now simultaneously claiming they offer the nation's "largest 4G network. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

3 recommendations

IPPlanMan

Is anyone really surprised?

Would you expect any less from a company that now offers "Unlimited Data" at speeds that intentionally render a device beyond useless for the primary purpose for which it was sold?

I present Exhibit A:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· aEQzTcW0

"Rethink Possible"?.... More like "Render Inoperable".
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

AT&T has the largest....

Amount of users throttled to less than 2G speeds on a 3G/4G network.

Suntop
Wolfrider Elf
Premium Member
join:2000-03-23
Fairfield, MT
·3Rivers Communic..
Netgear R6400
Netgear WNR1000
Netgear WNDR3400

Suntop

Premium Member

The Term 4G

Now Sure it is abused a lot. But so are the users. They give very little pooled GB. No true unlimited by any of them. At full speed you can go through your allotment within a few days and some cases in a day. They charge ungodly amounts for overages. Like text messages which costs them NOTHING since it rides along the voice packets. 3GB limits is stupid. In some cases it is 2gb. What do these Cell companies think that they can do this? Profits? yes! Step 1 Abuse term 4G, step 2 low caps step 3 $$$ Profits! I do not understand how the internet can be so expensive. I wonder if they are just abusing peoples pocketbooks. What does it cost them to send packets?

Gee I am glad I am with a small company.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

more so

I consider T-Mobile's "4g" to be more valid than AT&T's considering T-Mobile's network is largely 42Mb while AT&T's is mostly 14Mb. (HSPA+).

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Verizon

The clear winner in the fourfauxG race is Verizon. LTE has more of a claim to being 4G than HSPA+, even though LTE isn't really 4G as originally described. With Verizon having the largest, by far, LTE network they should be the only carrier to be able to claim such.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to djdanska

to djdanska

Re: more so

Technically AT&T hspa+ is 21mbps now, though it's true in shared markets for both companies t-mobile's hspa+ is much faster
MovieLover76

MovieLover76 to thegeek

to thegeek

Re: Verizon

True, the lower speeds on my Verizon LTE are over the top of T-mobile or AT&T, 10 - 15mbps on LTE and I'm regularly in the 20 - 30 range and in the northeast their coverage is getting pretty darn good.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Here in Wilmington, I get those same speeds, minus the better upload. It's when I travel into 3g areas I get 5-10 Mb instead. Granted I'm on a 42Mb phone and tablet. 20Mb is pretty normal, it's usually faster.

Suntop
Wolfrider Elf
Premium Member
join:2000-03-23
Fairfield, MT
·3Rivers Communic..
Netgear R6400
Netgear WNR1000
Netgear WNDR3400

Suntop to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Re: Is anyone really surprised?

Perfect reason why AT&T needs to be spanked for being that naughty. I get faster speeds on my 2g device. "188K/s"D and "133K/s"U here on Cellular One (MTPCS) No speed reduction for getting close to my 3gb cap. However it is tough to get close to 3gb unless I download 24 hours a day.

Verizon and T-Mobile as well as Sprint throw he 4g around too and also throttle. Why do they even throttle if they can make a killing off overages? That makes no sence.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan
That video never gets old. You should come join the discussion here as well.
»[iPhone] AT&T customers surprised by 'unlimited data' limit
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Never caught on it

Too expensive to have both data plans ( your old 3G smartphone aha iPhone) and LTE hotspot. And I love iPhone and it's iOs. Will never switch to Android phone except maybe when I get a tablet then I'll get Android just for different feel.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to MovieLover76

Premium Member

to MovieLover76

AT&T is marketing 14.4 as 4G, as they market the iPhone as 4G. I consider it to be enhanced 3G.

Its just a bunch of marketing BS, but the other factor that's harder to quantify is how well the networks actually work. AT&T's is highly variable, Verizon's very solid, but we don't know how it will hold up a few years down the line...

And coverage is a whole different issue. Around here, T-Mobile is EDGE, AT&T is running HSPA+, and Verizon is limping along on EVDO. I don't consider us to have any 4G.

WiMAX is also a tough case. Should WiMAX be allowed to be marketed as 4G when AT&T's HSPA+ sometimes can match it's speed?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Fools and their wirele$$ service plans!

»www.trekforeb.com/toyota-25.html

Got you coming and going!
FloridaBoy
join:2009-06-22
Bradenton, FL

FloridaBoy

Mo' Money

All this makes me glad I don't have a data plan.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

I have never seen AT&T market the iPhone 4S as 4G.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

What do you call this?
From wireless.att.com:

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Wow. That's what, 28Mb/s slower than my phone! That's what people mean by not calling HSPA+ not 4g. It's not the same, but it isn't 3g either, considering evdo 3g is max 3Mb usually. And not all HSPA+ is the same either.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to koolman2

to koolman2
Don't forget that AT&T wanted to change the 3G symbol on the screen to 4G....

Apple wasn't having any of that.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 4,00.asp

Perhaps a "Throttled" indicator would be more appropriate.... Suggestions for what form that should take?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
That would explain why I had a co-worker come to me on Friday and ask why his 4S said 3G instead of 4G....

nycnetwork
join:2000-11-12
Brooklyn, NY

nycnetwork to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76
AT&T's HSPA+ ain't 21mpbs in NYC or pretty much any large market excluding the ones in Texas. Their HSPA+ network simply hasn't been upgraded to 64QAM plain and simple.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ZtMF95SU

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· eSJH5uSM

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to thegeek

to thegeek

Verizon is not the clear winner of the race I seen some Verizon LTE test only claim half of the speed they get just like they get into ATT network so. If you got any claim to back this up please show me.

The test I seen on Verizon LTE network was only 5-7 to 10-15 not 15+ mbps download.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

I stand corrected.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to ptrowski

to ptrowski

Re: Is anyone really surprised?

Click for full size
Throttle!
It sure doesn't....

This top 5% throttling scheme is completely indefensible...

There's always a top 5%... which gets progressively lower, and lower, and lower.... and slower.
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz

They learned from Comcast and their "1% top percent users" or whatever they claim.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to djdanska

to djdanska

If you are getting 5-10 on Verizon 3G, that seems really good. I thought the best Verizon 3G was EVDO Rev A which tops out at ~3Mbps. Did Verizon deploy EVDO Rev B or MC? Those would support the data rates you cite on 3G.

I've never read any Verizon 3G tests achieving 5-10Mbps so I'm surprised by your results.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

Sorry, i meant t-mobile 3g.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

hmm

Anyone else wondering if any of them are gonna reach their projected upgrade deadline?

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to FloridaBoy

Premium Member

to FloridaBoy

Re: Mo' Money

said by FloridaBoy:

All this makes me glad I don't have a data plan.

You don't use the Internet on your phone?
FloridaBoy
join:2009-06-22
Bradenton, FL

1 recommendation

FloridaBoy

No, I don't have any need.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude