dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-21 18:32:19: With FiOS expansion over with the exception of large city franchise obligations (DC, Philly, NYC), Verizon for several years now has been focused on beefing up subscription rates in apartment complexes and MDUs (multiple-dwelling units). ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

margaf

The problem with that is

most of these people are tech savvy enough to search and see how poor customer service is from FIOS which I think will slow them down in pulling younger customers. The other side of that coin is that the cable companies they are competing with are terrible and have been crapping all over those same subs for years so who knows. I just recently left FIOS due to price and went back to CV and to be honest Verizon wouldve had me back in a few months but the problems Ive had since cancelling with fees and garbage have made me stay with CV so far and really write FIOS off again.
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned)

Young people don't give a shit about "customer service." We don't need it.

We need a top-notch Internet product that is faster and more reliable than the competition by several orders of magnitude. Verizon delivers that.

Verizon wins.

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

1 recommendation

mod_wastrel

The message being...

"Ain't got FiOS? ...move!"

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam to margaf

to margaf

Re: The problem with that is

You're wrong about young people and customer service. As a young person I really don't care about the people I just care about getting great service. I would jump at the first opportunity to get FIOS.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH to 45612019

Premium Member

to 45612019
Young people.

And the Honey Badger. Honey Badger don't care, Honey Badger doesn't give a shit....

cybah
join:2000-03-09
MA

cybah

While we wait..

And they do these elsewhere while we wait in Boston (city) for it to become available.

All because Verizon wants to cherry pick the better (richer) neighborhoods, and not wire the poor ones (like the mayor wants).

sigh.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

oh wow, too bad not in Chicago

It would have been really great if it was here in Chi-Town. In downtown, high-rises, At&t runs fiber to the premises but their weird marketing plan restricts it to FTTN speeds.

Well there is at least RCN, cable overbuilder that will give u high tier D3 for cheaper than Comcast. Its only in eastern part of Cook county though. Other areas are served by Comcast and Wow.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

so?

Cablevision's internet service IS improving around the margins.. it's less likely you'll be stuck with 5 megabit service when everyone is online in major metro areas since there has been more node splitting-- you won't get the run-around (at customer service, like so what?!? your cablemodem internet is slow..) you did for the last decade.. even less so when FIOS comes waltzing into parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

Still, a major sticking point with FIOS is what's old is new again.. that being higher prices, contracts, service fees from hell and beyond make FIOS a higher priced product than it was 2 years ago. There's really no getting around that at the moment.. Haven't really seen paychecks rise 25% in the last 2 years.. did yours?

Not that I care that much... the FIOS extreme tv package has lost MORE channels and value over the last 2 years while the price went up.. (even a price lock doesn't guarantee that they won't pass along fee increases). If somebody would like to look at the language of that ad campaign of 2 years ago and see if there's some legal standing for class action.. I'd sign up!

BTW, young people.. stop being so gullable, do what's best for YOU! That could mean signing up for either the cable-co, telco, or neither..

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to Ultibeam

Premium Member

to Ultibeam

said by Ultibeam:

You're wrong about young people and customer service. As a young person I really don't care about the people I just care about getting great service. I would jump at the first opportunity to get FIOS.

I am 27, so i suppose i qualify as young people... Anyways I agree here, I am in a uverse market and have bright house. But I don't care about customer service. I'm more about faster and better for the right price and hope i dont have to call them.

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to 45612019

to 45612019
I'm 28 and I agree. As long as the product works the way it should, I can care less about the customer service b/c i'll hardly need to call anyway. I have BH for broadband, CS not good but service is excellent and Uverse for TV, service works as it should never had to call.
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: so?

no one smart buys house or rents apartment based on must have criteria:

umm, does this have fiber to the premises internet. There is still plenty of other options available, especially around in areas where FIOS is present. I as a buyer/renter always look first at how nice apt is, what neighborhood, utilities (AC, sundeck, dishwasher, in-unit washer, etc), how close to work and price.
NYC Girl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

NYC Girl to 45612019

Premium Member

to 45612019

said by 45612019:

Young people don't give a shit about "customer service." We don't need it.

We need a top-notch Internet product that is faster and more reliable than the competition by several orders of magnitude. Verizon delivers that.

Verizon wins.

Oh yes you do when something goes wrong with billing, etc., it takes forever to fix. Several phone calls, emails, luck of getting the right CV person.
NYC Girl

NYC Girl to shortyd999

Premium Member

to shortyd999
said by shortyd999:

I'm 28 and I agree. As long as the product works the way it should, I can care less about the customer service b/c i'll hardly need to call anyway. I have BH for broadband, CS not good but service is excellent and Uverse for TV, service works as it should never had to call.

You guys show your youth and naïveté. How do you know you won't need to call CV??? When you do then you will be singing another toon. Lmao. Way too funny
NYC Girl

NYC Girl to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

said by tmc8080:

Cablevision's internet service IS improving around the margins.. it's less likely you'll be stuck with 5 megabit service when everyone is online in major metro areas since there has been more node splitting-- you won't get the run-around (at customer service, like so what?!? your cablemodem internet is slow..) you did for the last decade.. even less so when FIOS comes waltzing into parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

Still, a major sticking point with FIOS is what's old is new again.. that being higher prices, contracts, service fees from hell and beyond make FIOS a higher priced product than it was 2 years ago. There's really no getting around that at the moment.. Haven't really seen paychecks rise 25% in the last 2 years.. did yours?

Not that I care that much... the FIOS extreme tv package has lost MORE channels and value over the last 2 years while the price went up.. (even a price lock doesn't guarantee that they won't pass along fee increases). If somebody would like to look at the language of that ad campaign of 2 years ago and see if there's some legal standing for class action.. I'd sign up!

BTW, young people.. stop being so gullable, do what's best for YOU! That could mean signing up for either the cable-co, telco, or neither..

I get a better deal with FIOS $$$ wise and more stuff.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

They can wire Springfield MA

Plenty of MDUs here. From what I heard, one of the reasons hampering FiOS deployment in urban areas is the large number of MDUs in urban areas. I live in a townhouse style duplex and that would be a simple install (although they would have to bury the drop as our utilities come in underground and they would have to go under a driveway and a sidewalk) and they could mount two ONTs on the outside by the electric meters and run the cat5 and coax cables into my basement (as my unit is the side where the utilities come in and the POTS demarc (not in use as I have Comcast for phone and the neighbor is cell-only) for both units is in my basement) and they could tie into the existing inside phone wires (which are currently being used for Comcast digital voice) and they could use my existing coax wire. As for the other side, they could run the phone wire, coax wire and cat 5 wire through my basement into the other unit (as the phone for the other side comes in through our basement) and the cable for the other side used to come in through our basement but since went bad and now comes in as an overhead from a pole in an adjacent lot.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99

Fios was one of the things we looked for...
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

said by jjeffeory:

Fios was one of the things we looked for...

most people on this forum, probably, but its unlikely my friends who main interest, hobby is toward finance, consulting, biology would care. Most would take FIOS into consideration, but doubt would weight all other decisions against it.

P.S. 2 years ago when i was in college in Chicago, I lunched internet/facebook group campaing "bring Google Fiber to Chicago" Most people I sent invitation to join group, did not care and never responded.

Also there are towns, like Los Angeles and DFW split between at&t (uverse) and verizon (fios). Those looking for TV, will be better appealed by u-verse, I dunno due to nice cisco dvr boxes and lot of features they offer. As long as pixelation, compression doesnt suck I guess. Those looking for super high speed will bundle with cable internet or move to the area with FIOS. And of course there are fantastic cities, Chicago with just u-verse only and New York City with FIOS only. U'll move to either based on job, cost of living, connections, etc before what ISPs server these areas.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

why?

In nyc people shouldnt need a fios finder. I thought their agreement with nyc states they have to have the whole city wired before a certain time. Meaning a fios finder should not be needed in nyc.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

said by majortom1029:

In nyc people shouldnt need a fios finder. I thought their agreement with nyc states they have to have the whole city wired before a certain time. Meaning a fios finder should not be needed in nyc.

They have to wire the city. But owners of MDU's do not have to allow FiOS. I imagine that Verizon is doing this in part to encourage MDU owners to take up FiOS fo their tennants.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to cybah

to cybah

Re: While we wait..

Where do you get your facts from? I work some of the shittiest neighborhoods imaginable. Tired of the people that say Verizon picked only wealthy areas.

I have news for you. The majority of the country is irate that they cant get FioS. Its not because Verizon wants to "cherry pick" , its because most dont even live in a Verizon landline area.
ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to tmc8080

to tmc8080

quote:
bla bla bla... FIOS a higher priced product than it was 2 years ago. There's really no getting around that at the moment.. Haven't really seen paychecks rise 25% in the last 2 years.. did yours?
Wheres your facts from? Please tell us all, what was the average FiOS bill 2 years ago, what is the average FIOS bill today. Youre insinuating that FIOS prices have gone up 25% in the last 2 years, thats a heap of BS.
quote:
Not that I care that much... the FIOS extreme tv package has lost MORE channels and value over the last 2 years while the price went up..
Please give us a list of channels that have been taken away from Extreme. Please enlighten us. And once more, please tell us exactly by what price margin prices have gone up. I can make you a nice list of channels that have been ADDED within the last 2 years.

Tired of you spewing out these opinions that you try to portray as factual. Im not saying prices havnt gone up AT ALL. You greatly exaggerate the facts. All the providers prices go up. What prices for services have gone down? Ever heard of inflation?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to mod_wastrel

Premium Member

to mod_wastrel

Re: The message being...

said by mod_wastrel:

"Ain't got FiOS? ...move!"

yep! because if its not available to one currently, they ain't getting it!
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned) to NYC Girl

to NYC Girl

That happens so rarely I'd rather have incredible service most of the time and have to deal with an occasional annoying problem on Verizon's Internet than have shitty service all the time on cable but with people who will help you keep that shitty service running shitty on a consistent basis.

45612019 (banned) to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
A wise move. I'd go with Bright House too if I could. They have the most HD channels of ANY provider be it cable, fiber or satellite in the nation; as well as better picture quality than U-verse's horrendous sub-YouTube PQ.

When I dealt with AT&T they had great customer service but I don't care how much their reps try and sweet talk me; they're putting a shiny face on a turd of a product. No way would I go back to AT&T's overpriced, bandwidth-capped Internet and horrible HD quality TV service. I don't care how friendly and easy the customer service is.

45612019 (banned) to shortyd999

to shortyd999
I wonder why you would go with AT&T over Bright House for TV? According to AVS, Bright House has the most HD channels of ANY provider be it cable, fiber or satellite in the nation; as well as better picture quality than U-verse's horrendous sub-YouTube PQ.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised
join:2000-09-13
Brooklyn, NY

NJBoricua75

Fios is an overrated me-too product

Seen it. Not impressed. I really don't know what the big deal is honestly. DirecTV's PQ is similar and Cablevision has improved with 4 channel bonding and node splitting. Happy with the service for now. The only reason why the kiddies would want Fios is the novelty. That or if the only other options in their neighborhood are Time Warner or Comcrap. Understandable since I would choose Fios in that scneario as well. Other than that it's a me-too product. Overhyped, overrated. Like Siri on the iPhone, the novelty wears off after a while especially when the bill goes up and they call the cable co crying to come back.

clock
join:2007-05-02
Roslindale, MA

1 edit

clock

You mean like this?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· p63U7AIY

FiOS does have the advantage of better upload speeds over cable, but at this point, my cable company (RCN) has a offers a better DVR (TiVo), decent speeds (75/6), and more channels at a better price point.That's enough to keep me off the FiOS bandwagon for now.

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to 45612019

to 45612019

I get a discount and BH didn't have total home DVR at the time
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to cybah

Premium Member

to cybah

Re: While we wait..

said by cybah:

All because Verizon wants to cherry pick the better (richer) neighborhoods, and not wire the poor ones (like the mayor wants).

I suppose Verizon is racist too?

cybah
join:2000-03-09
MA

cybah

The Mayor has been very clear about this.. he wants the entire city 'live', and Verizon won't do that.

Facts, ummmmm because I live in the city (my city is wrong on here), and because I've talked to enough Verizon Techs at my job (I'm a IT Person) and they've told me that the most neighborhoods are wired in the 'richer' part of towns. (i.e. BackBay, South End)

And attend a city council meeting once in a while or read the minutes, you'll see exactly what has been said.
page: 1 · 2 · next