dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-22 18:15:16: ViaSat's new Exede service, while well-hyped by the media and CES, offers faster speeds (12 Mbps) but has been somewhat underwhelming for customers. ..

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

Usage cap and throttling

"If you exceed your data allowance prior to your monthly reset date, your service will be slowed to a speed of 128 Kbps."

Better than what some cell companies are doing. I wonder if they have an "All you can eat" block that people can go nuts (software updates, etc) and it not eat up your cap. I would still recommend a caching proxy, though.

Sure, satellite sucks.. But if they can make it suck a bit less, it'll help the people who can't get terrestrial internet.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

Re: Usage cap and throttling

Before I buy/rent housing I will make sure I can get land based internet before I pay money for housing.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Some people outright own their homes. No mortgage. They are not going to sell and have another mortgage just to get high speed land line internet service. They live in areas where there is no land line ISP offering high speed internet service. So they use satellite or cellular/mobile or WISP. I think that once Hughes Net upgrades their satellite service, Exede will have to be more competitive on the value of their offerings. And if the idiotic Light Squared satellite nonsense dies completely, another real satellite internet provider might be created to offer more competition. The main competition I see will be to increase monthly caps for the same cost. The new Exede speed is so far above dial up that I do not see a reason to compete on speed. It is about 200 times as fast as dial up, so the customers are wowed with that, they just need more GBs per month for the same money.
ShellMMG
join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI

1 recommendation

ShellMMG

Wildblue, once upon a time, was a pretty good service. Then the (*@&# oversold the beams, cut broadband limits across the board by 25% (no price decrease, of course), and screwed with the latency. This was on the old bird, too.

Give it time. Excede will be oversold, caps lowered and latency bolluxed to the point users won't be able to check their bank account online because of SSL timeouts.

Been there. Done that. NEVER, ever again.

I truly feel for those who can't get landline or 4G access. It's a frustrating, hair-tearing and teeth-gnashing experience, especially if you have teenagers.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

I totally agree that WB did get oversold in SOME areas, but not all. I also believe thier plan was flawed from the beginning as I was a pilot user for the service. I now have Exede and I can tell you that it is smokin fast, and I mean SMOKING fast. I am getting upwards of 20M down, and even if that gets oversold and goes to 5M, I am still better off than I was with 3G.....

It all depends on your perspective and what you had along with what is available. Right now, Exede is the best available, and it is a very good service.

HDMan

davoice
join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

davoice to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
Actually I sold my house that I owned outright (where there was very limited broadband) and bought one where there was fiber to the home. So Yes, SOME people WILL sell and have another mortgage just to get reliable broadband.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

1 edit

compuguybna

http://www.exedeinternetservice.org/

»www.exedeinternetservice.org/

is NOT run by ViaSat. This must be some independent dealer. Love how they copied the CES snapshots!

I would not believe all the FAQS on that page!!!

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

Re: http://www.exedeinternetservice.org/

The real site is this:
»www.viasatresidential.co ··· ede/home
..or this.. »www.viasat.com/
SimbaSeven

1 recommendation

SimbaSeven

Sucky coverage?

Click for full size
So much for the western half of the U.S., except for the western coast and a spot in Colorado and Arizona.
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300

Premium Member

Re: Sucky coverage?

The blue areas in that map are getting the Excede 5 Mb/s download and 1 Mb/s upload service using the 2 older satellites. That is still too fast for the low caps.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven
That's my issue - I wish that green dot over Denver was just a little further south. CenturyLink keeps promising 12 Mbps DSL in my area "next month", but each month it seems to get kicked down the road another month or two. Not willing to pay install and sign a contract with caps for 5Mbps service, would seriously consider it for 12Mbps.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Terrestrial

Further proof that satellite internet will never be viable. It has to be terrestrial to make sense. Give Verizon a couple of years, and they will blow this out of the water with their deep LTE spectrum holdings.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: Terrestrial

said by BiggA:

Further proof that satellite internet will never be viable. It has to be terrestrial to make sense. Give Verizon a couple of years, and they will blow this out of the water with their deep LTE spectrum holdings.

Except for the whole $80 for 10 GB and $10 per GB overage fees. At least with this for $80 you get 15 GB and no overage fees.

For $130 you get 25 GB. If you used 25 GB on Verizon you'd pay $230. $80 for the first 10 GB + $150 for the next 15 GB. Until Verizon doubles their caps and gets rid of overages or reduces them to $1 per GB then they aren't better than satellite.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Re: Terrestrial

Add $10 a month for your dish/modem lease FEE. that brings the plan to $90
said by 88615298:

said by BiggA:

Except for the whole $80 for 10 GB and $10 per GB overage fees. At least with this for $80 you get 15 GB and no overage fees.

For $130 you get 25 GB. If you used 25 GB on Verizon you'd pay $230. $80 for the first 10 GB + $150 for the next 15 GB. Until Verizon doubles their caps and gets rid of overages or reduces them to $1 per GB then they aren't better than satellite.

BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
You could get an old Mifi or phone that has unlimited, and upgrade to LTE. But Verizon will offer a residential LTE offering at some point that will have gaps geared towards home usage.

bak2sat
@alltel.com

bak2sat

Anon

sat

In their defense they clearly post the caps. The base cap is actually 10GB/month if you go through a bundle like Dish Network.

It beats the heck out of an oversold 3G celltower, dial-up, or older generation sats. The bandwidth capacity alone should accommodate all the existing customers. And I believe they are already planning a second sat. Plus Hughesnets almost identical Jupiter is planned for a 2012 launch. This brings into question what is the actual market size for sat broadband? 3million? 10 million?

Of course existing DSL customers who are lured away by the 12Mbps may have a rude awakening when they meet the FAP monster.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Where is the LINK for ordering EXEDE thru DISH network?

DISHNETWORK has NOT officially announced they are bundling EXEDE with their service(unless I'm severely behind on my reading). Several people (including yourself), make reference of this, but where is this documented? and Where can I find this on the DISHNETWORK site? i called and they said it was not available at this time. too many conflicting stories on this...
said by bak2sat :

In their defense they clearly post the caps. The base cap is actually 10GB/month if you go through a bundle like Dish Network.

scorp64
join:2012-02-23
Fredericksburg, VA

scorp64

Re: Where is the LINK for ordering EXEDE thru DISH network?

May not be available in your area, but it is in others.

I also tried to find info on Dish's website, but it wasn't there. I called Dish last Friday about getting this bundled, and moving off a 3G MiFi for our home Internet connection. Installation was scheduled for Monday afternoon, though they arrived around 11:15 after calling ahead. A couple hours later I was surfing at much higher speeds.

15GB a month for basically what I was paying for 10GB before. A 240MB download of a PS3 game add-on, which would have taken a few hours on our 3G connection, took around 4 minutes. Latency is worse, but it's more than made up for with the overall speed.

bak2sat
@pioneer.com

bak2sat to compuguybna

Anon

to compuguybna
@Compuguy

I ran into that also about not being able to serve my area yet. I just kept calling back every couple of days and they eventually opened up the spotbeam over my area. (South GA). I got three different estimates form three different people. I found it sketchy that they didnt post the Exede/Dish Network bundle also on their website.

Personally I think the advertisement of the bundle would start running in March when all the spot beams are opened. But im not sure. I was transfered three times before I got an exede person to schedule the installation. (it was only $99 but the first time I called it was $149?)

My install date is Monday!!(I thought it was last Saturday but I ran into some billing problems). I hope I can restrain my bandwidth habits enough to stay in under that cap.
ViaSat
join:2012-02-08

ViaSat

FAQ page correction

The FAQ page shown above belongs to an independent dealer, and is not the official ViaSat/Exede website.

The official ViaSat/Exede site FAQs are here: »www.viasatresidential.co ··· ore/faqs

Scritti
@wildblue.net

Scritti

Anon

Exede - yep it's much, much better

I live in Vermont and previously had the original Wildblue satellite package a few years ago - a bit slow then and the signal was inconsistent - I upgraded to Exede in Jan. 2012 and it's much,much faster and very dependable - a completely different experience - I am on the $80 - 15 GB plan. I'd say my download speed is about 8Mbps by the way - not 12. No complaints here - very happy. I think the bandwidth allowance is plenty generous. If you are considering Exede, it's a fine solution. It streams video very fast, but I'm not a big video/ music streamer anyway....If you have teenagers that game all the time on-line, I would go with the biggie 25GB package. So there's my two cents - not sure what everybody else is whining about.

I 3 the web
@cvgs.net

I 3 the web

Anon

WOW

I get 30MB Down 4MB price $30 a month because I recently upgraded my speed no caps and great constant connection. You all should try to get a cable or fibre connection in your area.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Re: WOW

If they had cable or fiber in their area, I doubt they'd be going with satellite . . .
said by I 3 the web :

I get 30MB Down 4MB price $30 a month because I recently upgraded my speed no caps and great constant connection. You all should try to get a cable or fibre connection in your area.