spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-23 18:31:52: FCC Boss Julius Genachowski this week gave a speech on cybersecurity during which he held up security practices at Comcast and Centurylinkas ones for other ISPs to emulate. ..

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·Verizon FiOS

??

I thought the poster child of the FCC was AT&T since they got the pat on the back for providng so much warrantless wiretaps on their network.. you can guess opinions begin to change when you try to grab hold of a 2-bit wireless company like Tmobile..

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

Re: ??

the FCC had nothing to do with those searches and taps. that was the NSA and ATT. the FCC can NOT order something like that to be done. Especially since they're only power is to make rules not laws. The ISPs and telcos can basically tell them to take a flying leap on most of their "policies" and "rules" anyway.
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·Verizon FiOS

Re: ??

said by 25139889:

the FCC had nothing to do with those searches and taps. that was the NSA and ATT. the FCC can NOT order something like that to be done. Especially since they're only power is to make rules not laws. The ISPs and telcos can basically tell them to take a flying leap on most of their "policies" and "rules" anyway.

Doesn't matter the agency.. FCC, DOJ.. Bush 2's administrations gutted any sense of a democracy.. not since the relocation of Japanese during WWII have human rights been trampled upon so heavy handed. 94% of those policies are still rubber stamped by the Obama administration. So much for that top-down review we were supposed to have in 2008 to get rid of bad policies at the federal level.

Lastly, with very piss-poor upstream.. CentryTel and Comcast can't be of much use to botnets. The fast upstream of FTTP would be quite useful, though.
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

so I guess we don't want dumb pipes after all?

DPI for traffic shaping and ads == bad
DPI for security and end user notification of pwned machines == good

I'd rather my ISP not do ANYTHING with my traffic other than ensure it reaches it's destination. Their assistance with maintaining the security of my computers is neither desired nor welcomed.

CajunTek
Insane Cajun
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-08
Arlington, TX

Re: so I guess we don't want dumb pipes after all?

said by Crookshanks:

DPI for traffic shaping and ads == bad
DPI for security and end user notification of pwned machines == good

I'd rather my ISP not do ANYTHING with my traffic other than ensure it reaches it's destination. Their assistance with maintaining the security of my computers is neither desired nor welcomed.

Now that may be true for you, but the thousands of users out there who have no clue whether they have a bot or not... I think it's a good thing. Is comcast perfect at it.. Nope, but they've detected everything from insecure wifi where folks have had operators using there bandwith, to badly infected PCs. If people were responsible about their PCs security then it would not be needed... However it is needed.
--
da Cajun Darn I hate Malware

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Re: so I guess we don't want dumb pipes after all?

Man, ain't that the truth?

There are simply so many people out there who just don't give a flying fudge about security, it's unbelievable!

I mean heck, just look at all the pickles using Facebook and Twitter!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonk ··· amonkey/