spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-27 12:02:08: In 2005 then-AT&T CEO Ed Whitacre told Business Week that because people use Google, Google should help pay for AT&T's network deployment (or as Ed put it, Google "ain't usin' his pipes for free"). ..

prev page · 1 · 2

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Too Bad Judge Greene isn't around

Judge Greene had the guts to break up AT&T in 1984 and I am sure he would do so again. Only this time one company for voice and another company for SMS and Data.

Just wish they would break up the monopoly/duopoly on broadband.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

Karl speaks truth!

"If AT&T put half as much energy into running a top-flight network with quality support as they did cooking up hare-brained troll toll schemes -- they might just stop coming in last place in all major customer satisfaction studies."

That is the real truth.
stopdatacap

join:2011-11-08

Customer Data Caps is Internet Over Charging

I think one of AT&T's more hair brained schemes (excuse my French) is limiting home and business customers' Internet access to a as little as 150gb a month. Seeing as the Web is a limitless and exponentially growing medium, an artificial data cap does nothing in reality but censor people from the Internet, a vital lifeline in today's world, particularly for business.

To that end, I have started a petition asking AT&T and other ISPs to return to a billing model of unlimited Internet access for a reasonable monthly fee.

Please see the petition at:

»www.change.org/petitions/stop-data-capping

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

The app they would want is, of course

Netflix.

Because outside of netflix and tethering, it's pretty easy to color inside the 2GB cap lines.

Given Netflix's recent attempts to shoot itself in the head, foot, and mouth, they might just go for it, too.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us
jkerby

join:2007-09-11
Cupertino, CA

Re: The app they would want is, of course

Yes, Netflix is a major problem for the Internet as a whole. The Internet has many growing pains to accommodate the bandwidth hog that its streaming service requires. Most posts in this thread do not understand or address the issue that most content providers are not paying any costs of the bandwidth their apps are using on the Internet. Similar to software providers driving the demand for faster computers. Unfortunately, Moore's law does not apply to Internet access and bandwidth consumption.
I do not use Netflix streaming so I do not think it is fair to be charged for the bandwidth usage of those that do.