dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-27 16:26:00: Verizon has made great strides in the year since they launched their LTE network, but not all that many of the company's users have switched to the new network. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

1 recommendation

jchambers28

Premium Member

250 Gb cap

Give me a 250 Gb cap I will sign up.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

This makes AT&T look so hopeless....

So Verizon's doing double data promotions on a built out LTE network while AT&T is pinching pennies, redefining 3G into FauxG and throttling loyal Unlimited Data users with a top 5% scheme that goes down further each passing month.

It's pathetic.

AT&T, I know you're reading this. You're a disgrace.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28

Re: 250 Gb cap

HAHA, good one.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Re: This makes AT&T look so hopeless....

Got to increase earnings per share somehow.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA

Cjaiceman

MVM

Pissing off your customers and forcing them to go elsewhere is not the right way...

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

Close to 5.5M people.

Close to 5.5M people using the network isn't bad. It's only been a year since LTE started rolling out. Many people haven't got to the point in their contracts to get a subsidized device. And until recently, all the LTE phones were the high end $200-$300 phones. Most people just don't need the top of the line phone.

I'd surely use LTE if Verizon would just expand the coverage about 1 frigging mile further! Can't quite get coverage at home but about a mile away I do.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to Duramax08

Premium Member

to Duramax08

Thanks. I want a reasonable cap their caps is unreasonable. Want more customers raise the cap!

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

or just get rid of the cap. it's nothing but a money grab anyway.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Pointless

The caps are far too low for me to consider signing up. Bring back the unlimited plans and I might consider it.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA

Cjaiceman to thegeek

MVM

to thegeek

Re: Close to 5.5M people.

They will get there soon enough...

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek

correct
jchambers28

jchambers28 to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek
reminds me that Intel had a complaint about lack of customers buying their drives. Then they release this over priced SSD.

»www.theverge.com/2012/2/ ··· -roundup
markinect
join:2011-01-20
Lansing, MI

markinect to thegeek

to thegeek

What the hell is a friggin

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

Verizon got me to dump my unlimited plan...

with their recent special deals. They have some new 4G phones for only $99 with a 2 year contract. That combined with the double data deal and a $327 gift card I got from FiOS made me jump on the deal. They got me to dump my unlimited 3G plan with my HTC Incredible and get an HTC ReZound. Since I didn't know how long the double data special was going to last I figured I might as well get it now. Since a 2GB plan was not going to be enough. I surpassed that around every other my with my 3G phone. And without that incentive I would have stayed with my 3G phone.

thegeek
Premium Member
right here

thegeek to markinect

Premium Member

to markinect

its my fucking attempt to stop fucking cussing for fucking much online.

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

Caps, iphone, battery life

Three things holding back people from LTE:
-battery life of existing phones
-there is no lte iphone out right now
-and datacaps are not attractive especially for a faster service
tim92078
join:2010-07-15
San Marcos, CA

tim92078

Very expensive to be a beta tester

The LTE network isn't very reliable. I don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: Verizon got me to dump my unlimited plan...

Why would you dump unlimited for 4GB tiered data, on Verizon you can upgrade from a 3G to a 4G phone without losing unlimited data, all existing unlimited customers are grandfathered in, I'm on verizon's 4G network as well, and I think the Iphone factor and the LTE poor battery life as well as people waiting for an upgrade are all big reasons for slow adoption, it will improve it's a much better experience than old evdo
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

flashcore to tim92078

to tim92078

Re: Very expensive to be a beta tester

Its not only very un-reliable, it also does not work in most modern 10+ floor office buildings unless your near a window. Ive got a Nexus and can only get 1-2 bars of 3G at my office in the heart of Baltimore where they claim to have 100% 4G coverage. The second I walk outside I get 5 bars of 4G. Until they fix these major issues the LTE network it will continue to be worthless.

Before someone says its just my phone, there are 2 other people with 4G phones all having the same issue as well as 6 4G hotspots that only work on 3G inside the building so it is a network issue not a phone issue, the spectrum there using for LTE just sucks at penetrating buildings.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

1 edit

bcltoys

4g is unreliable.

I rented a Razr for a week and no matter how good a 4g signal I had outside as soon as I went inside a building it would drop back to 3g.As far as their coverage map's never did I get 4g in a extended coverage area even outside.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

1 recommendation

MovieLover76 to flashcore

to flashcore

You may be in a weak coverage area, the spectrum they use is excellent for building penetration 700 Mhz, the bars on a phone are a historically very bad indicator of signal strength, what matters is the db number -50db is perfect , -113+ is unusable.

I get excellent in results inside and while I'm not thrilled with data outages, it seems to me that people are making a much bigger deal about it than necessary, data isn't a life or death situations and for most of the outages the phone goes back to 3G a few minutes after the outage starts, then I switch the phone to cdma/evdo only until they've resolved the issue completely, I'm very happy with 4G LTE and if their is any carrier I trust to resolve the few issues that affect the network occasionally, it's Verizon.
I've been on every major carrier and Verizon has time and time again proven to be more reliable in general.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

Crookshanks to flashcore

to flashcore
The spectrum that they're using is actually better at penetrating buildings than the bands used for the 2G/3G legacy networks. Any coverage issues can likely be attributed to the fact that the LTE network is new and hasn't been fully built out yet.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Cjaiceman

Premium Member

to Cjaiceman

Re: This makes AT&T look so hopeless....

Except the customers are not going anywhere, they just keep coming. How can you blame AT&T when people are supposedly lining up for their service. I don't understand it, but the numbers don't lie.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

1GB less than previous plan = double

I love how "double" is only from the recent drop to 2GB as "standard."

They need to sell this without emphasizing the overt reference to less than half of what the 3G plans were less than a year ago.

I also *loved* the early 4G hype about being able to stream video so much better.

Some good that capability is with such low usage caps.

At the very least, 4G needs to have less of a cap for fixed users.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Same pattern as change from EV-DO Rev 0 to Rev A.

When EV-DO was upgraded from Rev 0 to Rev A customers had to suffer with modems that used to much power and handsets with short battery life. It took several years for carriers to upgrade all of their towers. Now the same problem with the change from 3G to 4G. Modems use to much power and Handsets have short battery life. Wait until 5G is announced and by that time ISP's should have most of the bugs worked out of 4G.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Verizon has no LTE coverage in lots of places.

I am waiting on Verizon LTE in Houston County, Bibb County, and Monroe County in Georgia. There is much anticipation, but few buyers as there is no coverage in these areas. We would be happy if they fixed the lack of regular voice and EVDO Rev A coverage in Monroe County, GA. You hear that Verizon Wireless, fix your regular older technology coverage and you will get more customers and more profits.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to flashcore

Premium Member

to flashcore

said by flashcore:

Its not only very un-reliable, it also does not work in most modern 10+ floor office buildings unless your near a window. Ive got a Nexus and can only get 1-2 bars of 3G at my office in the heart of Baltimore where they claim to have 100% 4G coverage. The second I walk outside I get 5 bars of 4G. Until they fix these major issues the LTE network it will continue to be worthless.

You may have a 3G repeater in your building. It took forever for my previous employer to replace their AT&T Edge repeater with a 3G one. It behaved pretty much like you describe.

defiant8
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

defiant8 to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman

Re: Verizon has no LTE coverage in lots of places.

Same here, but Monroe County, MI

They've hit all the major urban areas in the state, they just need to fill in the suburban areas, then I might make the jump to 4G.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to jchambers28

to jchambers28

over price period with almost no data plan. that work in real world
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next