dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-28 08:43:38: Charter this week unveiled their fourth quarter earnings, which show the company took a fourth-quarter loss of $67 million, down from $70 million one year earlier. ..

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

How do they lose money?

Post backruptcy their debt is similar to others in the industry, their pricing and take rates are similar and they still lose quarter after quarter.
Are they just really bad at business or what?
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV

I haven't had them for TV since 1999(I have Directv) so I can't speak to that side, but I do have them for internet(since the early 2000's) and phone(for about 2 yrs now) and could not be happier, especially on the internet side.

I have the 100/5 plan now(for about a month since they game me a great 1 yr deal on it. I had the 30/3 package prior to that). My speeds are great and consistent and I have very little down time.

They have been solid in my area.

As an FYI, my other choice is Uverse and their speeds aren't(and probably won't ever be) anywhere near Charter's.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

If you live in the East Saint louis, IL & surrounding area

You are not typically happy with charter. I hear someone gripe about them as least once a week at the walmart in collinsville, IL. I stepped into a big lots last friday in fairview where they set up a booth outside or something, and some lady was giving them the riot act, after a salesman approached her asking about charter tv and internet. He was going on about his sales pitch how the tv was better and the internet was better. SHe interrupted him and said "none of those things do me any good if none of them work! I had to go back to dsl because your techs couldn't fix it!"

I know she got a chuckle out of me and as least 3-5 other people.

I was about to get video but the wife stopped me.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Mental Hospital

Whenever I see this company Charter I think about the mental institution. lol
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to David

to David

Re: If you live in the East Saint louis, IL & surrounding area

charter does have a bad rep in some neighborhoods, but they are making great strides.

Id take charter any day of the week over uverse...

I often ask people on the metrolink what they use for internet and its a mixed bag. The people that have charter love it ..and the people that have uverse cite the same bad things about charter almost verbatim.

IMHO ..what charter needs to do is offer former disgruntled customers 1 month free service to run side by side with uverse... when charter works its 30miles ahead of uverse ...when it doesn't ..dialup is better.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Another one that pops up over here is clear. There is quite a bit of clear presence here.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: How do they lose money?

said by tshirt:

Post backruptcy their debt is similar to others in the industry, their pricing and take rates are similar and they still lose quarter after quarter.
Are they just really bad at business or what?

They lose money mostly by being total morons in some areas. Luckily for me, in my area, they definitely have their act together.

What is post backruptcy, anyway! Did they hurt their backs some where a long the line?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

docsis 3

entry level speeds on a docsis modem should edge out the top speed on a 2.0 modem.. the cable industry should be offering 45 megabits as entry level by now... not 15 (and symmetric, not asymmetric)

what we see is blatent attempts to keep broadband speeds low to protect video services by cable-tv content providers. why bother touting (near) completion of a D3 project if the cost to the consumer of offering those services are out of the mainstream consumer price range?

time to break open the $1/megabit price barrier once and for all time.. the year is 2012, tick, tock, tick, tock..
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Is 15Mbps the problem or the 100GB/month cap? In my opinion, it isn't speed that's causing consumers to keep the TV cord, it's the cap.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

said by rradina:

Is 15Mbps the problem or the 100GB/month cap? In my opinion, it isn't speed that's causing consumers to keep the TV cord, it's the cap.

My knowledge is of Comcast not having a cap for the higher speed tiers (50 - 100+ megabits).. Charter actually has a cap?!?
Soft cap or hard cap, that's a bad business move.. especially if the nearest telco has some balls and actually deploys a competitive network.. doesn't Charter overlap with CentruryTel and, at&t and some minority carriers who aren't thinking outside the DSL box?
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

I understand Charter in my area (the HQ is here) has a 100GB "soft" cap. Regarding competition, there's AT&T U-Verse but that's really it. (Clear is here too and some other WISPS but no consumer-grade fiber competition). AT&T has done very little investment in terms of closing holes in its footprint. It's still very hit or miss regarding addresses qualifying for U-Verse. Effectively, Charter doesn't have that much competition.

Surprisingly Charter keeps raising speeds for generally the same price and offers decent deals if you bundle and commit to a 1 or 2 year contract.

A couple years ago I bought an AppleTV and I use it as well as Charter's VOD pay-per-view to watch new-release movies at home. However, I have to watch quantity through the AppleTV It doesn't take long to get to 100GB (at least as reported by my DD-WRT-equipped router's usage meter).

I have the 15/3 plan and within a minute, HD movie content on the AppleTV is ready to watch. It's still downloading but it's buffered enough to stay ahead.