spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-02-29 18:17:55: For several years Cablevision wasn't really feeling the heat in their pricing battle with Verizon FiOS, but if their recently release fourth quarter earnings are any indication, that's starting to change. ..

en103

join:2011-05-02
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Not raising rates... what about adding new fees ?

While I don't like to be a sceptic, I've seen the old message of 'we're not raising rates', meaning we're calling it something else.
Not that different from removing a tax and adding a fee in its place. I'll be curious to see what the end result will be.
Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Re: Not raising rates... what about adding new fees ?

we can still jack up the rent prices, outlet fees, drv fee, and other stuff.
bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

Competition

I think they won't raise rates because of FIOS competition. If they had no competition they would raise rates just as they did a few years ago pre FIOS.
CTMustang
Premium
join:2007-09-10
France

"we aren't raising rates, but you'll pay more peons"

That's what I see from that.

Well guess what Mr. Cablevision... if you do NOT give me a nice triple play (or double) price (under 100 bucks) I will be gone very quickly.

Then you can send me a deal 3 weeks later with the super lowest price ever. like you have the last 3 times you made me cancel.

They should be able to look back and see how many times I've cancelled and come back, decide if it's worth the resources for them to go through it again and then just re offer me a special deal.

It's no skin off my back at all to do without cablevision for 3 weeks.

datguy11

@verizon.net

Re: "we aren't raising rates, but you'll pay more peons&quo

thats what Ive been saying all along..

Cablevisions pricing in the last few years have been insane, just to gain new customers, they are giving away the store.

Theres only so long you can sell something at a loss before it bites you in the ass.

I can sell 2 liter bottles of pepsi for 50 cents, and I will sell a lot of pepsi, more then my competition. But eventually I will go out of business if I dont make a PROFIT
bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
said by CTMustang:

That's what I see from that.

Well guess what Mr. Cablevision... if you do NOT give me a nice triple play (or double) price (under 100 bucks) I will be gone very quickly.

Then you can send me a deal 3 weeks later with the super lowest price ever. like you have the last 3 times you made me cancel.

They should be able to look back and see how many times I've canceled and come back, decide if it's worth the resources for them to go through it again and then just re offer me a special deal.

When I was a customer all they did was cut channels and raised prices. I dumped CV 20 seconds after FIOS became available in my area and CV called me twice a week trying to get me to return. Even offered to pay my Verizon ETF. My VOIP company has telemarketing block so I blocked all calls from CV. Guess what, they sent a guy to the house to try and get me to return. They offered something like $100 a month for the triple play which did not interest me but it goes to $160 after something like a year.

Don't know if I could get a better deal, but I do not want to get involved in a triple play that ends up costing me $160 a month after the 1 year. Also their internet was not the greatest and their VOIP offering is way overpriced plus you have to pay an extra $15 to make international calls.

My sister in law did switch back to CV from Verizon after a month because of the savings CV offered, but I really don't need the hassle.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

New iO TV packages

This story in correlation from we got back in Late January about new TV pricing packages being available on March 27th, 2012. It seems like the days of Triple Play promos being under $100 could very well be numbered.

»New iO TV packages
rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

Re: New iO TV packages

Some customers are saying that the new packages will be a price reduction for them, especially the new Silver package which now includes HBO again. My triple play was just renewed but I expect this to be the last renewal. I am OK with just Broadcast Basic and Roku with Netflix.

cyber

@verizon.net

ha

thats what the say now, its only the end of feb and nine months to go

excvcsales

@verizon.net

Rutledge

With all thats going on was Rutledge one of cvcs biggest problems? Since he has left they have 1)gotten hbo & maxgo. 2)signed a deal to get a new epg. 3)they are now stating they are going to be investing more into improving their network. 4)this price freeze. Seems like they are going a long way to try and improve their relationships with customers since he and bickham left.
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

nevertheless

I've still seen triple play being offered not for $90, but $79.. but you still have to calculate your BOTTOM LINE PRICE, that DOES NOT include the set-top rental fee, franchise fee, and various taxes including USF charges which are EXTRA for digital voice phone service... Haven't been a cablevision customer for a few years.. so my guess is they've expanded their below the "service charge" fees since my last monthly bill. Disclosure, Disclosure, Disclosure-- devils in the details!

Also, if you believe this new 8 cent federal tax (for cable-tv video?!?) Verizon's putting on ALL video customers that's a cost either cablevision will eat or pass on to consumers as well.

All be told.. a "NEW" customer who is with the competition will still get a deal approaching $100 total even if the price starts out at $79

Verizon (fios) won't match that deal.. their entry-level triple play went up to $99 rock bottom fee plus extras putting it somewhere between $110-$120.

BTW, video's being quite the nonstarter.. triple plays might go the way of the dinosar because they haven't evolved this business model and the internet will run roughshod over it quite soon. The "WII" generation's not gonna sit on a couch and be a vegetable for hours on end for cable-tv programming. These are "ON-DEMAND" children who are growing up! Many probably have smart phones and/or tablets with a thirst for unlimited internet.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

Re: nevertheless

said by tmc8080:

I've still seen triple play being offered not for $90, but $79.. but you still have to calculate your BOTTOM LINE PRICE, that DOES NOT include the set-top rental fee, franchise fee, and various taxes including USF charges which are EXTRA for digital voice phone service... Haven't been a cablevision customer for a few years.. so my guess is they've expanded their below the "service charge" fees since my last monthly bill. Disclosure, Disclosure, Disclosure-- devils in the details!

Looks like you've been brainwashed and/or jaded by Verizon a bit too much.
There are no "franchise fee" or "various taxes" or "USF". This is all bullshit blatant lie fees that Verizon charges, and it looks like they convinced people that those are legitimate.

Attached is what $70 triple play promo looks like in Brooklyn.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]
Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

said by MxxCon:

Looks like you've been brainwashed and/or jaded by Verizon a bit too much.
There are no "franchise fee" or "various taxes" or "USF". This is all bullshit blatant lie fees that Verizon charges, and it looks like they convinced people that those are legitimate.

This

Below is my CV bill from last month. Verizon does like to play paddy wagon with their bills.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

so the bill you full price for a cable card as the full box? Outlet + card rent fee.

under FCC law

Pay only for equipment you have. Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device.
Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

I'm not being billed for equipment, just a "premium outlet" fee. The company is assuming that because I'm renting two cable cards, I'm being served with an additional cable line to provide service to the second card.

In reality, I have a single coax drop coming in with a 3-way splitter; two legs for each cable card-enabled multituner and one cable modem.

I could argue with them to run an additional coax to the tap so that I'm accurately receiving this "premium outlet" that I'm being charged for, but it's kind of silly when it works fine with just one drop.

The video and Internet services are being billed at the promotional discounted rate through November of this year.

Churn

@151.190.0.x
I see CV stopped printing when your promo(s) expires, so you won't get any warning before your bill jumps up. Pretty sneaky.
Network Guy
Premium
New York

Yup. You have to remember for yourself. I know my promo expires around Thanksgiving so they're not pulling that fast one on me
rick0204

North Bergen, NJ
You will still receive a letter one month in advance when your promo expires. I just received mine a week or so ago and was able to get the triple play extended for a year. The rep even included Showtime, Starz and the On Demands. I guess this is the deep discounting that will no longer be offered by the Disconnect Dept.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
said by Churn :

I see CV stopped printing when your promo(s) expires, so you won't get any warning before your bill jumps up. Pretty sneaky.

they don't print it on every bill but they send a separate letter and i believe print it on your bill a month in advance.
--

aannoonn

@optonline.net
Pretty sucky that iO w/ Family costs you $25, but I pay $45.
tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
The last flyer I recieved is for $79.99, not $69.99 -- Just before "SUMMER" I will see what's still available. I'd even be happy with dual play with voice/boost for ~$65. Cable-Tv is horrible in the summer anyway. I don't like getting nickled & dimed by Verizon.. but will probably stay a few months more... The reason I left Cablevision was they didn't want to extend the 1-year dual play that I had when the promo lifted.. this is what prompted me to get Verizon's triple play for the SAME price I was paying for (3 weeks of) OFF PROMO DUAL PLAY! Their loss at the time.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

call them and ask what they can offer you to get you back. and you might want to do it before the new pricing structure takes effect. if they won't offer you anything worthy, stay w/ VZ. if they will, go back to VZ and ask them what are they willing to do to keep you.
yes, both companies are nickle and dime us, so might as well pit the bastards against each other.
--
Max Greene

join:2000-12-22
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Boost Mobile

1 edit

Its just not good service.

CV tries harder than most but I just came back to them from FIOS after 2 years and its not any better now than it was when I left. I get disconnected from WoW servers very often where with FIOS it almost never happened. The fluctuations in quality of connection are vast especially between 6 and 10 pm, packet loss, slow downloads, etc.

As for TV, the guide is antiquated and slow whereas FIOS has a great guide which is sharp looking and very functional. I know CV is planning new things for that front but I doubt Ill be around long enough to see it since Ive started thinking about switching back.

I hope they take the company private, if they didnt already, because with the right leadership and no stockholders breathing down managements neck maybe they can truly compete.
rick0204

North Bergen, NJ

Roku Rocks!

Some customers are saying that the new packages will be a price reduction for them, especially the new Silver package which now includes HBO again. My triple play was just renewed but I expect this to be the last renewal. I am OK with just Broadcast Basic and Roku with Netflix.
tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

verizon website lockout?

seems as though Verizon locks out downgrading bundles and only offers "UPGRADED" triple play for online ordering.. for about a net $350 - $600 more per year 35/35, DV, and the new and improved extreme w/ 285+ channels. no thanks.

there is a $74.99 offer for 25/25 and digital voice but it's locked out apparently. looks like I'll have to call their bluff and leave first. it's good timing as I have some passover vacation days to make the move.

good for me
bad for verizon

** so interesting that they have stall tactics when I called & emailed customer service that they're "looking into" the lockout.. really it means you don't qualify because you had a good 2-year bundle and we don't want to keep a "VALUED customer" anymore... in theory, if a customer is in "NO-CONTRACT" bundle, they should qualify for ANY new current promotions instantly.. no way i'm going into a 2 year contract deal for $600 more, even if it were 150/35 internet.