dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-05 14:48:17: Verizon's FiOS expansion is on hold with the exception of major city franchise build obligations, though Verizon stated on a recent earnings call that a focus for this year would be to get stubborn DSL users in markets already upgraded to FiOS to swi.. ..

prev · 1 · 2
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to rtfm

Premium Member

to rtfm

Re: Dumb users

Copper is obsolete. Most people aren't using landlines for their primary phone anymore, and DSL is slow as molasses.

FIOS is worth it for the speed and video quality. What a bunch of ungrateful curmudgeons you people are. I would pay a LOT for FIOS access.

If you're really that concerned about copper reliability, you could keep a POTS line, and FIOS for the other two, but you won't get the bundle deals. Or you could have a Verizon cell phone, their cell towers are backed up for 8 hours on lead-acid batteries, and have diesel power on top of that.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to norbert26

MVM

to norbert26
Then in that case, just refuse access to the computer and ask the tech to simply set up what you use using their own gear. They should have something like a Toughbook or some other laptop available to ensure it works and take off.

I always tell people if they're going to get FiOS, is to use it, and use it to it's fullest. That means HD YouTube by having a Greasemonkey script force it, adding whatever devices you can to the network, and taking advantage of online content. If they're going to e-mail and just get FiOS, then that's still fine with me. It's just my tip if people complain about FiOS's price. It means they don't use it enough.

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm to BiggA

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

FIOS is worth it to me for the speed and video quality.
If you're really that concerned about copper reliability, you could keep a POTS line, and FIOS for the other two,

Bold text added. I'm all in favor of anyone wanting FIOS doing so; just saying not everyone will.

And rotsa rock keeping a copper POTS, the only folks I know are grandfathered in; She will no longer allow same.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

It is worth it. Period. People should all value good services.
prev · 1 · 2