dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-06 14:39:01: We recently noted how AT&T's U-Verse expansion is essentially over, and if you haven't seen your market upgraded yet you probably aren't going to. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
voipnpots
join:2011-10-13
USA

voipnpots

Yup, AT&T is a wireless company

I can't really see my area being upgraded with Comcast available...it would be like investing in a product that still doesn't reach the capabilities of a product already available.

People will continue to use POTS from AT&T, but no one really has a reason to subscribe to DSL anymore, other than for the lower price. When you bundle services with Comcast, for example, it may actually turn out cheaper, and you get a much better value for your services.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

If AT&T doesnt want it, isnt that a hint?

At&T should just put these areas on Ebay, lots of worthless junk on that site.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Slight change needed

who primarily have the choice of slow, overpriced satellite, or carrier pigeon.

There, fixed that for you.

/M

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

1 recommendation

HaloFans

AT&T gonna AT&T

See. This is a prime example why corporations lobby for deregulation.

No responsibility.

Just a bunch of old greedy selfish babies.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Economically viable?

I live in a 2 year old neighborhood. The AT&T tech that rolled out to me two years ago to run the line to my house said that my neighborhood was already wired for and completely capable of UVerse... all that was needed was to swap the cards out in the node across the street. He also told me that that wasn't going to happen any time soon - AT&T wasn't providing the cards to him for my address.

Of course, I also am privy to know that Bell South had south Huntsville already run with FTTH and was starting trials when AT&T re-acquired them. Since then, AT&T has shut everything off in terms of FTTH other than a select few (likely employees).

It's really sad when a company refuses to think of anything but profits.
Arty50
Premium Member
join:2003-10-04

1 recommendation

Arty50

Premium Member

Best money ever spent

I'm so happy we gave the telcos $200B to bring us fiber.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 recommendation

dishrich

Is this for dial-tone & all???

OK, so just so I'm clear...

While the title it talking about selling off DSL Markets, is this meaning selling off the accompanying "dial tone" (ie: access lines) & plant completely? (like Verizon did w/Frontier)

Or are they ONLY talking about the DSL service(s) itself?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Arty50

to Arty50

Re: Best money ever spent

Me too. They are so responsible and good to us consumers.

We should give them more, they really really deserve it!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to dishrich

Premium Member

to dishrich

Re: Is this for dial-tone & all???

It will be POTS + DSL. It will be areas outside of large cities. For example around here they could easily sell many towns and areas to Windstream. They already have in the past, they would just sell them more.

They'll cherry pick and keep the cities of course and areas where a lot of expansion is occurring but they'll unload satellite towns and fringe areas..... not areas where they were necessarily losing money, mind you, just areas where they didn't make as much. Remember how SBC then AT&T got many states to do a statewide franchise, and removal from PUC or Corporation Commission regulations, using promises of expanded DSL deployment into towns and areas around lucrative markets as a "selling point." Now they'l be able to go back on those promises, and yet stay unregulated.

Surprise!

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Arty50

to Arty50

and what 200 Billion in charity are you two referring to?
mds297
join:2012-03-03
Smyrna, GA

mds297 to HaloFans

to HaloFans

Re: AT&T gonna AT&T

said by HaloFans:

See. This is a prime example why corporations lobby for deregulation.

No responsibility.

Just a bunch of old greedy selfish babies.

They are indeed greedy, although they often lobby in order to set up regulation that favors them and puts their opposition out of business. It's far more an issue of moral character corruption than political philosophy.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Damn, I've never seen so much sarcasm in my life!

lordfly
join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL

lordfly

No loss for me

Since I dropped AT&T a couple of years ago to switch to a local WISP, even if they upgraded my tiny neighborhood, there is no incentive to switch.

DSL is so last century
Albert71292
join:2004-10-31
West Monroe, LA

Albert71292 to voipnpots

to voipnpots

Re: Yup, AT&T is a wireless company

I still use DSL, even though Comcast is in my area. The DSL provider I use is a small, regional one who doesn't have monthly data caps. AT&T DSL AND Comcast BOTH have monthly data caps, thus the reason I refuse to use them!

att sucks
@sbcglobal.net

att sucks

Anon

I wish they would sell it

I have had nothing but trouble with my DSL since last fall. Perhaps a different company would upgrade and my DSL would be where it should be.

Iridium3
Premium Member
join:2003-04-02
Los Angeles, CA

Iridium3 to voipnpots

Premium Member

to voipnpots

Re: Yup, AT&T is a wireless company

Not for me. The bundles are $99+, and gives me 2 services I don't want or need. I just want internet, I get my tv and movies from netflix and "pther" sources, and I have my cell for calls. But I get your point. I use DSL because of the price.
CharlesH1
join:2011-04-29
Milpitas, CA

1 recommendation

CharlesH1 to SunnyD

to SunnyD

Re: Economically viable?

said by SunnyD:

It's really sad when a company refuses to think of anything but profits.

My understanding is that the management of a corporation has a fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders to do exactly that.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to lordfly

to lordfly

Re: No loss for me

yup me too. The WISP I use is light years ahead of DSL

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

1 recommendation

WHT

Economically viable is code

"They (AT&T) can't find an "economically viable" way to upgrade these users" is code for "we can make more money with a 10 GB capped wireless system".
Arty50
Premium Member
join:2003-10-04

1 recommendation

Arty50 to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

and what 200 Billion in charity are you two referring to?

»www.pbs.org/cringely/pul ··· 683.html
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to CharlesH1

to CharlesH1

But to think of short-term profit as the only goal is...shortsighted. You may be able to make a buck now with wireless but eventually you'll run out of ways to make money. There is a limit to how much people will pay for wireless service, even if the number of devices they can use it on grows. At that point you have to start looking at the wireline side of things, which is best served by FTTH (low maintenance costs, very high speeds).

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to WHT

Premium Member

to WHT

Re: Economically viable is code

You bring up a valid point. Since the profit potential of a system of high speeds but with really low caps and then overages and metered billing making it potentially incredibly profitable (At the expense of our Internet future) there's actually incentive for them to kill off or allow to wither on the vine DSL and other services to cut people's options and force them to wireless, where they can really gouge.

I know people in some areas who cannot get DSL or Cable and use those "MiFi" devices, but oh boy, does that cost. Most have a 5GB cap and then steep overages AND IMHO doesn't seem like they measure traffic very well either.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No

LOL

Most of their Uverse is DSL so they are essentially going to just sell their entire plant.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to CharlesH1

Premium Member

to CharlesH1

Verizon's doing it with FIOS.
BiggA

BiggA

Premium Member

Ridiculous

It's such short-term thinking. They should think long, and roll out FTTH to 100% of their customers. Heck, even a combo of VRADs and ADSL2+ RDSLAMs in more rural areas could push them to 100% coverage at 6mbps.

At least the ex-Verizon areas now in Fair Point's hands have seen more DSL coverage, and speed upgrades close to the CO.

ITALIAN926

1 edit

ITALIAN926 to Arty50

to Arty50

So, obviously, you believe that the telco's have 200billion in a vault somewhere. Or was any monies in question used to provide for EXISTING SERVICES at the time.

... and besides all that, Verizon FiOS and AT&T Uverse has passed many more homes than the article states. There are over 4 million FiOS customers alone.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

screw this

I'm cancelling. Done. Game over. Only had the promo for a few months in this place, and am moving again soon anyway.

Might as well take Cox up on the free month of service, and cancel "Ma Bell" right now.

Yes, I could get "uHearse" at this location, but I'm not going to be there long enough to fulfill the contract, and forget about messing around with video + data + voice over a phone line...

I've said it years ago - I find it funny that AT&T is only just now realizing how pointless it is to try to squeeze so much crap through a little stir-straw sized pipe.

Now begins the fun of trying to cancel my service.
So long, DSL. Hope I never have to deal with you, ever again.

Oh, and fun coincidence that we just got a bill at work for a P2P T1 circuit that just went out of contract, so the rate is INSANE for a freaking T1 P2P literally across the street.

Icing on the 'fsck you' cake.

At least I have the small satisfaction of:
1) not giving them any more money personally
2) setting up a wireless bridge to this building, even though it'll be a PITA due to LOS issues (but it can, and will be done).

smell that? ...yep... less money headed your way soon Ma Bell...

trebzon
join:2001-09-03
Grandville, MI

trebzon to HaloFans

to HaloFans

Re: AT&T gonna AT&T

Of the detestable companies AT&T has an especially putrid aroma.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

AT&T (and others) should have to

Give up their slush fund (Universal Service Fund),
Give up their 'rights' to not allow muni/public wiring.

I personally don't think that any Telco would take on this, after seeing Verizon's (un)Fairpoint and Frontier mess.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Hey it was a mess for Frontier and Farpoint (and the customers) but it was an incredible deal for Verizon!
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next