dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-07 10:32:05: With LightSquared all but dead after being denied a necessary FCC spectrum condition waiver, LightSquared CEO Sanjiv Ahuja recently got out while the getting was good -- and Sprint is poised to untangle itself from the mess that is LightSquared. ..

tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

brain fart

somtimes a multi billion dollar idea concieved on a toilet is just a brain fart
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

A

network that Sprint needed now i no more. What is poor Dan going to do next with no real 4g network to go to any time soon and a cash strapped company due to the iPhone spending blitz. Sounds like the Board needs to find a new CEO.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by 25139889:

network that Sprint needed now i no more. What is poor Dan going to do next with no real 4g network to go to any time soon and a cash strapped company due to the iPhone spending blitz. Sounds like the Board needs to find a new CEO.

Looks like it is all over but the lawyers fighting over who gets whatever money is left in these contracts.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to 25139889

to 25139889
Sprint has plans to deploy it's own LTE network this year, though undoubtedly sprint's LTE network would have been stronger if it could roam on LightSquared.

It's really unfortunately that the spectrum LightSquared had was too close to gps, they have have not executed the plans well , but if they had good useable spectrum they would have introduced much needed competition into the market and helped smaller operators to compete better.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to 25139889

to 25139889
said by 25139889:

Sprint's first mistake was going with WiMAX when everyone else on the planet was adopting LTE. I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea, but, if they'd jumped on LTE in the beginning, they'd have been in a great position now, especially if they'd been as aggressive as VZW in building it out.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to 25139889

to 25139889
I thought Clear just needs money to offer LTE. I thought WiMax and LTE were technically close enough that the upgrade was relatively minor and could be reasonably fast.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

Sprint's first mistake was going with WiMAX when everyone else on the planet was adopting LTE. I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea, but, if they'd jumped on LTE in the beginning, they'd have been in a great position now, especially if they'd been as aggressive as VZW in building it out.

Back when Sprint adopted WiMAX, LTE was not quite ready for build out. There were still technical standards that needed to be resolved. WiMAX was a much more mature technology dating back to around 2001 and was standardized in 2005. LTE was only proposed in 2004. Once Sprint refarms their Nextel spectrum and Clearwire switches, they should be in good shape.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch
Nobody was adopting LTE back when Sprint devised a plan to implement WiMAX, it was not ready back then. If Sprint chose to wait for LTE to be ready, they would have been forced to drop the valuable spectrum space that WiMAX now utilizes. In the end, the loss of spectrum would have most likely been more devastating to the future of Sprint.

WiMAX isn't dead yet, but it does appear to be lost to the US handsets. LTE offers a greater level of control for the wireless carriers, and that type of technology will always win out over a more open, consumer-friendly standard.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
And Sprint will most likely walk away with its tail between its legs with none of the $$$.

25139889 (banned) to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76
they have plans. Right plans. The problem is they're almost broke and have a poor credit rating. They've sued their MSO partners who were actually investing in their CLEAR brand and ended up loosing Google's $$$ in the process of that- or will.

The main question people should be asking is how Sprint plans to fund this new network with very little $$$ due to the iPhone.

25139889 (banned) to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
when sprint took Wimax LTE was NOT even out yet and into the market. Sprint could have went to CDMA B but did NOT do that. They could have easily deployed across WiMax regardless of others if they would have done it to start off with. Yet they did NOT. They still are building out the Wimax network in the CLEAR brand but yet have to turn these markets on. What's the point of building these networks out if you're not going to use them. Another mistake of Sprint's. and Cellco's build out isn't due to they adopted early- it's the fact they have $$$$ and Sprint has NOTHING.

1 recommendation

25139889 (banned) to rradina

to rradina
that is the claim but when you have 2 pretty much bankrupt companies supporting each other- you're not going to have much $$$ coming in.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76
Sprint never planned to roam on LS.

Sprint was leasing the sprint network to LS and LS was going to pay $9 billion to use sprints network.
Now LS was giving sprint usage credits so sprint could allow its customers to roam on LS network basically for free, but sprint has no obligation to use LS's network or even its credits. Sprint never once said it would allow its customer to roam onto LS network.

LS did not want to manage building a network so they were just going to pay sprint $9 billion to do it for them.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to 25139889

Premium Member

to 25139889
Sprint is bankrupt?? Really.
Technically they about $11 billion in equity so they are not on the verge of even going into bankruptcy.
At this point they wil only go under if they do something really, really foolish.
DarnellP
join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV

DarnellP

said by r81984:

Technically they about $11 billion in equity so they are not on the verge of even going into bankruptcy.

Can't pay too much mind to the Ohio dude. He rarely, if ever, knows what the heck he's talking about at least when it comes to Sprint.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

1 edit

tc1uscg

said by DarnellP:

said by r81984:

Can't pay too much mind to the Ohio dude. He rarely, if ever, knows what the heck he's talking about at least when it comes to Sprint.

Nope, as a X-Sprint switchtech, I can tell you from what I've seen, he's pretty much on target.

Besides, it's funny how people seem to forget Sprints track record. Other then 3G/EVDO/EVDO-A, what other major ventures have they started and completed before pumping and loosing billions? No matter how many people they lay off, outsource or sell off, they can't keep this up and it may already be too late for plug all those leaks. There's no more plugs in the repair locker.
DarnellP
join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV

DarnellP

said by tc1uscg:

Nope, as a X-Sprint switchtech, I can tell you from what I've seen, he's pretty much on target.

No, I'd strongly disagree with that. Moreover, ex-employees tend not to be the most objective distributors of information. Not a knock on you or your character, just sayin'. But by all means, please feel free to expand upon what *specifically* you feel that he's on target about.

Besides, it's funny how people seem to forget Sprints track record.

Perhaps people simply don't feel that their alleged "track record" is really relevant. Past performance is never a guarantee of future results. Besides if track record were a be-all, end-all metric then you wouldn't have needed to make an exception for 3G/EVDO/EVDO-A.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

2 edits

tc1uscg

Just because you work for a company (or worked ) doesn't mean one has to be any more/less critical. You just speak your mind. I didn't sign any "non-disclosure" agreements when I was let go so I sure as heck am not going to be fanboy when they don’t deserve it. But, here was my point. I was hired under the ION project in 1999. 2 Billion dumped down the hole and for what? Where is ION now? Billions dumped into taking over Nextel. How did that work out for’em? Now, billions used for WiMax and how’s that working out? How many markets has WiMax been turned up in since it was released? Sprint never seems to finish ANYTHING they start and only after they wasted billions to figure out it’s not what they want to do.

2G to 3G, EVDO was mostly SOFTWARE. The hardware (except some antenna elements) were in place. Rev A was software. Don't confuse a few million with a few billion dollars for a service upgrade. I can guess that 1 billion alone was waisted on trying to get iDen/CDMA to work together in harmony, but it failed. Sprint use to be a leder in inovation. What I learned over the 10 years I was there, they are an inovator of waisting money and it has all but killed the company. If it wasn't, why did they gut it's networks division and then contract out it's remaining employees? The techs can't even get spares in a timely manner any more because of "cost". That and others are a sign that they are not doing as good as people think.