spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-10 11:47:20: Let us know what you're up to this weekend in the comment section below. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Toguro

join:2003-10-23
Chicago, IL

Have a nice weekend

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Yes!

Have a great weekend all. I'm so happy to have my first weekend off work in 3 weeks.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

Dont forget

to spring forward.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Sprint getting new iPad after all

»news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57394 ··· ag=title

A new iPad capable of running on Sprint's fledgling 4G network was missing from this week's big refresh event, but if you believe in leaked photos, such a device could be just around the corner.
Engadget posts what it says are shots of Best Buy's inventory system that list a slew of new iPads that run on Sprint's network. At Apple's event on Wednesday, the only 4G-compatible tablets introduced were ones that run on AT&T and Verizon.

--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/2012-election/

cline3621
Mr. Yuk is MEAN Mr. Yuk is GREEN
Premium
join:2006-06-14
Clarksville, TN

Funny music videos + songs!

Everyone likes music to some extent I would think. However, would you like your favorite songs if they were done by someone of a different genre? Here are some links below. You be the judge. I must say I'm partial to the Bee Gees singing 'How deep is your love' but they sound like a death metal act.

Example 1: Bee Gees sing death metal.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoMt7um2 ··· t7um2z8o

Example 2: Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train" performed without Randy Rhoads, but someone like Larry Carlton, or maybe Lee Ritenour.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxAq0Of ··· =related

Example 3: AC/DC performing "Back In Black" with a funk twist.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjBqZfXg ··· qZfXgvXg

Example 4: Metallica performing "Enter Sandman" with the same jazz guitarists listed above.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmM79Ya ··· =related

Example 5: Rage Against The Machine performing "Killing in the Name"
I think this one is one of the best, but it just loses something.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0CgE7oy ··· =related

Example 6: Slayer's "Angel of Death" played sanitized as you might find on Radio Disney.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHo6I_AF ··· 6I_AFCzo

Phugg

join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA

Have a great weekend/early week

The Fam and I are off to Disneyworld from Calif .... thank you red-eye flights, I can sleep

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI

meh

Yeah another weekend of magic. . Time travel still is not available to the public.

backfeed
is giving feedback

join:2002-12-16
Peru, IN
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

reply to Duramax08

Re: Dont forget

I wish we would just give up this DST stuff, and leave the clocks alone. I still do not see what good this does except to make it still light at my bed time in the summer.

--
There are 10 types of people. Those who can read Binary and those who cannot.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
reply to Toguro

Re: Have a nice weekend

said by Toguro:

Have a nice weekend

Unlike this hapless TED presenter who gets RR'd by IE.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_6SfMZx ··· SfMZxoLc

--
The Dark Tower's Skynet evolves from 4chan.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
I think that may have been a set up...

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to cline3621

Re: Funny music videos + songs!

F'ing Brilliant. Made my Day. Thanks

Dave

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

Sony pays $8 million to artists it ripped off

With more lawsuits coming.
»www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ··· 20120309

quote:
Artists eligible for this suit were signed to the label between 1976 and 2001 and have contracts with clauses stating that they receive 50 percent of net revenue for licensed music. A lawsuit on behalf of Eminem last year set a precedent that digital sales count as a license rather than a traditional sale, as is the case with LPs and CDs. A number of other artists, including Peter Frampton, Toto, Public Enemy and Kenny Rogers, are also pursuing similar legal battles hoping to score unpaid royalties and improve their rate in the future.
--
hey Dale

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to backfeed

said by backfeed:

I wish we would just give up this DST stuff, and leave the clocks alone. I still do not see what good this does except to make it still light at my bed time in the summer.

Well given that you're from Indiana, I can understand. No state has butchered the process as much as Indiana.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI
reply to Duramax08
Thank you kind sir!

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to backfeed
said by backfeed:

I wish we would just give up this DST stuff, and leave the clocks alone.

I guess it depends on your lifestyle. I'm retired, get up late and like light at the end of the day to golf, ride a bike, go for a walk after dinner, sit on the deck in the late sun.

But if you have to get kids out to school early in the morning and it is still dark in early spring and late fall, DST not as good a deal.
--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica
reply to fatness

Re: Sony pays $8 million to artists it ripped off

Sounds like a good deal for artists who are part of the 1%.
--
The Dark Tower's Skynet evolves from 4chan.

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Japan marks anniversary of tsunami & nuke disaster Sunday

»mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/201 ··· 00c.html

Japan will mark on Sunday the first anniversary of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that devastated the country's northeastern shores, left about 19,000 people dead or missing, and triggered the world's worst nuclear accident since the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

Many memorial services will be held in the northeastern prefectures hit hard by the tsunami as well as in Tokyo and elsewhere on Sunday, with a moment of silence planned across the country at 2:46 p.m., the time the magnitude-9.0 quake jolted the country exactly a year earlier.

Evacuation drills will also be held across the country to prepare for future quakes and tsunami, with some planned under the scenario in which a nuclear power plant suffers a loss of power just as Fukushima Daiichi did after tsunami waves flooded the plant a year ago.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. President Toshio Nishizawa is expected to observe a moment of silence, while the plant operator will issue an apology to the public once again for causing the country's worst nuclear accident. TEPCO Chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata will attend the Cabinet Office-sponsored memorial in Tokyo.

The quake and tsunami left more than 15,800 people dead -- most of them in the hard-hit Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures in the Tohoku region -- including about 500 whose bodies remain unidentified, while more than 3,100 people in six prefectures are still missing.

The tsunami destroyed or substantially damaged about 330,000 homes and other buildings in the hardest-hit three prefectures, but reconstruction has been slow. The approximately 160,000 evacuees from around the damaged Fukushima plant see no prospect of returning home anytime soon due to radioactive contamination in the areas.

The accident has heightened public anxieties over the safety of nuclear power, forcing other reactors in the country to remain offline once they were suspended for regular maintenance.

With the two remaining reactors in operation expected to go offline by early May, concerns are growing over whether the nation can weather surging power demand during peak times in the coming summer.

Recovery has been slowed by bureaucratic wrangling in Tokyo. And the nuke industry is still dead in the water.
--

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

World's 1st nuke aircraft carrier taking last voyage

The USS Enterprise, the world's 1st nuclear aircraft carrier is starting its last voyage Sunday after 50 yrs of service.

»news.yahoo.com/storied-carrier-b ··· 276.html

"the Big E" as the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier sets sail on its final voyage Sunday. The Enterprise is heading to the Middle East on its seven-month deployment, where it will be on standby in case of conflict with Iran or piracy threats off Somalia, among other things. The deployment will be the ship's 22nd. Following its return to Virginia in the fall, tens of thousands are expected to be on hand for a deactivation ceremony Dec. 1. Enterprise will be towed to the shipyard where it was built in nearby Newport News so its nuclear fuel can be removed, a process that will take until 2015. What remains of the ship after that will then be taken to Washington state so it can be scrapped.

The Enterprise is the longest aircraft carrier in the U.S. fleet. It is also the oldest, a distinction that brings pride as well as plenty of headaches for the ship's more than 4,000 crew members. The ship is effectively a small city that frequently needs repairs because of its age. It was originally designed to last 25 years, but a major overhaul in 1979 and other improvements have extended its life.

When the makers of "Top Gun" were filming on board the USS Enterprise, they donated a set of black fuzzy dice to liven up the ship's otherwise drab interior. Crew members who weren't even alive when "Top Gun" was in theaters in 1986 use the film to explain what it is they do on the ship, as well as exactly where it is they do it. The trinket is a reminder of the ship's storied 50-year history that includes action in several wars, a prominent role in the Cuban missile crisis and serving as a spotter ship for John Glenn's historic orbit of the earth.

This is the eighth ship to bear the name Enterprise, and there's a room on board dedicated as a museum to past incarnations. The preceding USS Enterprise was the most decorated ship in World War II, while the first Enterprise joined the U.S. fleet after it was captured from the British in 1775.

--

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
They have to be another aircraft carrier with the name Enterprize.
--
Caddy

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to FFH5

said by FFH5:

But if you have to get kids out to school early in the morning and it is still dark in early spring and late fall, DST not as good a deal.

I never understood this. Why don't schools simply change their schedules to work around DST instead of complaining about how dark it is?
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
said by pnh102:

said by FFH5:

I never understood this. Why don't schools simply change their schedules to work around DST instead of complaining about how dark it is?

Teachers unions; school bus drivers; parents who have to get to work at a certain time and don't want later school starts; etc.
--

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to cline3621

Re: Funny music videos + songs!

How about Richard Cheese and Lounge against the Machine

My favorite is the cover of Down with the Sickness

(BTW has the adult language, so be warned)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOpk33V ··· pk33VlSg

--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Duramax08

i walked in the bathroom at 1:58am. I walked out at 3:03am. It took me an hour and 5 minutes to pee
--
| map your city |

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Teachers unions; school bus drivers; parents who have to get to work at a certain time and don't want later school starts; etc.

Still seems dumb to me. Every parent already has to work around their kid's schedule in one way or another so changing start times won't change that. I just think it is silly how school districts make this out to be some intractable, unsolvable problem when it really isn't.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to Caddyroger

Re: World's 1st nuke aircraft carrier taking last voyage

I have it on good authority that we will name some spaceships 'Enterprise'.

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

Why Samsung won't lose tablet lawsuit by Apple

Apple couldn't patent the iPad. It was already in the public domain - multiple times.

»www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ··· chnology

In 1994, while running a lab dreaming up the future of newspapers, Fidler starred in his own video demonstrating a prototype he cooked up that was remarkably like the iPad — black, thin, rectangular, with text and video displayed on-screen.

A narrator described technology that at the time sounded like science fiction: “Tablets will be a whole new class of computer. They’ll weigh under two pounds. They’ll be totally portable. They’ll have a clarity of screen display comparable to ink on paper. They’ll be able to blend text, video, audio and graphics together. ... We may still use computers to create information but will use the tablet to interact with information — reading, watching, listening.”

Apple is suing Samsung, alleging that the Korean company copied its iPad design. And Samsung is defending itself, in large part, by using Fidler’s video-gone-viral, saying it proves the design was already in the public domain and is thus not patentable.

While nursing his tablet ambitions, ­Fidler worked on other projects at Knight-Ridder, including a service to bring interactive content to TVs. In 1992, he persuaded his superiors to let him open a skunk-works lab in Colorado to work on the tablet, and he recruited some of the brightest, most-forward-thinking minds in computer software, hardware and newspapers to join him.

The lab was essentially a tiny office in a glorified parking garage. Their neighbor: Apple. It, too, was thinking about the future of media in its own lab. Knight-Ridder’s lab worked on ideas for providing news to Apple’s ill-fated hand-held Newton device, an early personal digital assistant.

Apple and the Knight-Ridder lab were constantly swapping ideas and even visitors. Newspaper executives would visit Apple, then stop by Knight-Ridder. Newspaper executives would visit Knight-Ridder, then stop by Apple.

Samsung’s lawyers countered that Fidler’s video put the design into the public domain in 1994, well before Apple filed its patent. (They mentioned his 1981 essay, too.) Samsung’s lawyers also noted that when Apple filed its patent, the company made no mention of Fidler’s device even though the company, which had its lab next to Fidler’s, knew of it because it had worked with him and his lab. The U.S. District judge in the case, Lucy H. Koh, declined Apple’s request to halt sales of the Galaxy Tab, in part because she found Samsung’s argument about Fidler’s tablet convincing.

“Apple has not established that it is likely to succeed at trial against Samsung’s challenge to the validity of the D’889 patent,”the judge wrote.

And here is where all the hullabaloo gets complicated for Fidler.

“I cannot honestly say whether Steve Jobs took his inspiration for the iPad from my tablet, but it’s hard for me to believe that he wasn’t aware of it, because the videos were circulating everywhere,” ­Fidler said. “I can’t believe they weren’t aware of what I was doing.”

In the 1968 Stanley Kubrick movie “2001: A Space Odyssey,” a collaboration with Arthur C. Clarke, astronauts use tablet computers. Samsung has even mentioned the movie in its legal filings, saying it provides more evidence that the idea was in the public domain. Fidler recalls having seen the movie and though he says he wasn’t consciously thinking of it all those years later, he acknowledges it could have been an influence.

Imagine that. Apple took the idea developed by others; patented it; and then sued everyone in sight. The patent should never have been approved in the 1st place. The U.S. Patent office is a joke.
--

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
reply to Duramax08

Leave it at DST just like Russia did last year.

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
reply to FFH5

Re: World's 1st nuke aircraft carrier taking last voyage

Money well wasted

rifleman69

join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR
reply to FFH5

Re: Why Samsung won't lose tablet lawsuit by Apple

Try again.

backfeed
is giving feedback

join:2002-12-16
Peru, IN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pcdebb

said by pcdebb:

i walked in the bathroom at 1:58am. I walked out at 3:03am. It took me an hour and 5 minutes to pee

Hope you are not dehydrated.....

--
There are 10 types of people. Those who can read Binary and those who cannot.