dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-12 15:35:38: Marketing firm Bartle Bogle Hegarty is courting more than a little controversy with their decision to use homeless people as walking human Wi-Fi hotspots at this year's South by Southwest festival in Austin. ..

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

1 recommendation

mix

Funny

Anyone tried to trade one of those bums $40 worth of crack for their 4G hotspot modem yet?

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

inteller

Re: Funny

haha, awesome.

you know I never thought I'd see the dehumanizing via capitalism during my lifetime but it looks like we are already there.

I'm sure as soon as we can figure out how to tap into their brain waves as a source of energy we will have "solved" our homeless problem.

mix
Romeo, MI

mix

Well consider that most homeless are mentally ill or addicted to drugs or both, I wouldn't hold out on their brain waves solving much of anything.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

facts are a little off.

mix
Romeo, MI
GL.iNet GL-B1300
Netgear CM500

mix

Actually they are right on, and the fact that you would even question that indicates to me that you have never been around very many homeless people, which is surprising because I have been to Toledo plenty of times. Here is a text book example of the problems with our nations homeless. Note the percentage of people who aren't addicts or mentally ill.

»www.opcc.net/tabid/258/D ··· ult.aspx
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

OPCC is one the OG's of the Homeless Industrial Complex.

Not exactly a credible source.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to mix

Premium Member

to mix
said by mix:

I have been to Toledo plenty of times.

LOL. Ohio, I assume, not Spain?

iknow
@optonline.net

iknow to mix

Anon

to mix
said by mix:

Well consider that most homeless are mentally ill or addicted to drugs or both, I wouldn't hold out on their brain waves solving much of anything.

years ago, yeah, but since the economy was ruined by banks and wall street, hundreds of thousands of regular, normal people have been made homeless, by the banks who have the houses insured, so they get their money by throwing the homeowners out. »www.propublica.org/artic ··· y-so-far

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to mix

Premium Member

to mix
said by mix:

Could you provide some backup documentation pertinent to these allegations?

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender

Premium Member

Spend a day in Manhattan.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

FFH5 to inteller

Premium Member

to inteller
said by inteller:

haha, awesome.

you know I never thought I'd see the dehumanizing via capitalism during my lifetime but it looks like we are already there.

I'm sure as soon as we can figure out how to tap into their brain waves as a source of energy we will have "solved" our homeless problem.

They are getting paid aren't they? That is how low our society has sunk, that paying someone to work is considered dehumanizing. But giving them welfare is not. Talk about values being backwards!!
Desdinova
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

Desdinova

Premium Member

I agree. If these were gorgeous spokesmodels out doing the exact same thing, no one would bat an eye.

There's a LOT of hypocrisy in the position that if someone can support themselves and convince others there's value in looking good or having an enviable lifestyle, then it's good, but if someone does the exact same thing in the opposite direction (looks "bad" has an unfortunate living situation) and is smart enough to turn their disadvantage into a functional situation, that's somehow wrong and reprehensible.

If someone's prepared to make money and potentially advance themselves solely with their looks and lifestyle, it shouldn't matter one bit to the "enlightened" members of our culture if those looks are good or bad. They've got a job. More power to 'em and the companies willing to utilize their willingness to participate.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

A defense of the homeless hotspot program by those who initiated it:
»www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrm ··· s-flippi
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

fiberguy2 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
The very goons that want to "help" the homeless LOVE to victimize them at every turn too.. they bleeding hearts LOVE to take the homeless and classify them as people that are on the same level as mentally ill people or something it seems.

There are a LOT of homeless people that are not ill or sick, rather, they are either down on their luck, too lazy to work and want handouts, or drug users (to which I could care less about them anyway..) But the point is that somehow the bleeding heart liberals LOVE to live by this unwritten rule that somehow these people are untouchable, that is unless you're touching them with other people's money.

I mean really, just look at the attention this is bringing to the homeless.. I thought they liked the attention.
Expand your moderator at work

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2

said by fiberguy2:

There are a LOT of homeless people that are not ill or sick, rather, they are either down on their luck, too lazy to work and want handouts, or drug users (to which I could care less about them anyway..)

And the reality is that people with mental health issues (usually undiagnosed) are self-medicating with street drugs and/or alcohol because their mental health issues are undiagnosed... many are not capable of holding a job nor should they be expected to... especially with undiagnosed mental health issues. "Down on their luck" or "too lazy" are simply badly informed judgments of a much larger problem.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Hmmmm

Nothing like eating the data cap of a 4G homeless

ahoot
@rr.com

ahoot

Anon

"Excuse me sir...

...Mind if I connect to you?"

Followed by vicious blow to the head...

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

cdru

MVM

From the Wired article...

quote:
This is my worry: the homeless turned not just into walking, talking hotspots, but walking, talking billboards for a program that doesn’t care anything at all about them or their future, so long as it can score a point or two about digital disruption of old media paradigms. So long as it can prove that the real problem with homelessness is that it doesn’t provide a service.
So tell me Tim Carmody, what have you or wired done about homeless? So what if "Homeless Hotspots" make them walking, talking billboards that don't care anything about the actual issue. It gives a few homeless guys some work for awhile and gets the company some advertising. There's no harm in either. It's not like they are underpaying children to perform toxic or hazardardous tasks or the similar.
puck0114
join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR

puck0114

Re: From the Wired article...

This post is full of win.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to cdru

to cdru
or underpaying the homeless $10 a day to hold up signs on street corners for businesses like most companies do. (and these people stand for 12+ hours a day in ALL weather)

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by 25139889:

or underpaying the homeless $10 a day to hold up signs on street corners...

Around here it's either for Cash 4 Gold shops or Going-out-of-business businesses. They are independent contractors with a fixed daily rate. If they don't like their pay, they are free to negotiate higher daily pay.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by cdru:

said by 25139889:

or underpaying the homeless $10 a day to hold up signs on street corners...

Around here it's either for Cash 4 Gold shops or Going-out-of-business businesses. They are independent contractors with a fixed daily rate. If they don't like their pay, they are free to negotiate higher daily pay.

here its smoke shops

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

2 recommendations

R4M0N

It's not insulting if they get government assistance though?

So the company provides the hotspots and all proceeds of the sale of hotspot-time goes to the homeless person. And you people are calling it exploitation?

Would you rather they live the rest of their lives on government-backed shelters? What better way to spark someone's entrepreneurial spirit than to hand them a ready-made product and letting them sell it and keep all the profit even if they had to become walking billboards (which is not even the case here)?

Government welfare slavery (we keep you dependent and you keep us in power) is OK but let a company use homeless people in a way that actually benefits the homeless and all of a sudden it's "demeaning", "shallow", and "exploitation"...

mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q

Premium Member

Re: It's not insulting if they get government assistance though?

I agree, but it's mainly on the basis that I hate them coming up to me asking me for 32 cents for a bus ticket, because their mom died, or whatever else happened, now it won't be so bad when they are coming up to me asking for $X to connect to them and use the internet for a few brief minutes, or whatever.

Matt

AuraReturn
Premium Member
join:2003-08-18
USA

AuraReturn to R4M0N

Premium Member

to R4M0N
said by R4M0N:

So the company provides the hotspots and all proceeds of the sale of hotspot-time goes to the homeless person. And you people are calling it exploitation?

Would you rather they live the rest of their lives on government-backed shelters? What better way to spark someone's entrepreneurial spirit than to hand them a ready-made product and letting them sell it and keep all the profit even if they had to become walking billboards (which is not even the case here)?

Government welfare slavery (we keep you dependent and you keep us in power) is OK but let a company use homeless people in a way that actually benefits the homeless and all of a sudden it's "demeaning", "shallow", and "exploitation"...

Agreed.

Also, the original post said the marketing didn't work. It clearly did. It's all over the news.

petemitchell
@sbcglobal.net

petemitchell

Anon

Re: It's not insulting if they get government assistance though?

The fact that you have a Kristin Kreuk avatar disqualifies you from participating in any discussion.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

1 recommendation

talz13

Benefit for the aspiring connected homeless...

Can the homeless person USE the 4G MiFi for free?

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH

Premium Member

Re: Benefit for the aspiring connected homeless...

You would think he would need to know the password to sell access to it.

Can't remember that last time I saw a homeless person with a MacBook Air, though.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

Re: Benefit for the aspiring connected homeless...

said by N3OGH:

You would think he would need to know the password to sell access to it.

Can't remember that last time I saw a homeless person with a MacBook Air, though.

hey, it could just be a kindle fire, they are cheap
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned) to N3OGH

to N3OGH
You mean those hipsters sitting around in Starbucks all day actually have homes?

warwick
join:2009-06-05
Hollywood, FL

warwick

Incredible

It appears we've reached a new low... Not sure If I should feel angry or enraged.

Of all the organisms that roam this earth, us humans must be the most apathetic (insert expletives here)...

Whoever conjured up this "fancy" idea should be (insert expletives here)

The gall of some people...

•••
pkorx8
join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

pkorx8

what if...

What if this same business model is changed to someone else instead of the homeless, like for example, a starving college student?
Is that still considered exploitation?
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan

Premium Member

nice!

hahaha nice! productivity in action.
SlashG42
join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
·AT&T FTTP

SlashG42

Why is this being called exploitation?

It's no more inhumane than paying someone to cut grass or sell hotdogs at a sports event or wear a costume in front of a fast food restaurant.

Since when the hell is giving a guy a job for a day or two considered a bad thing? What's worse, giving someone no money or giving them a couple days' pay?

petemitchell
@sbcglobal.net

petemitchell

Anon

How low can you go?

Up next, AT&T sponsoring bum fights.
tbone2006
join:2006-07-22
Abilene, TX

tbone2006

Has to be better than pulling a rickshaw

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Srjv8BDs