spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-14 14:22:39: Verizon Wireless will offer LTE services in 203 markets as of March 15, when the company says they'll launch service in seven new markets and expand existing service in 17 markets across the United States (you can find a complete breakdown here). ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Meanwhile at AT&T....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMO8Pyi3UpY

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state

ROFLMAO!

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

Alaska

I'd be happy if Verizon just had good 3G service in Alaska. I hate going to visit my inlaws and not having a data connection. I just don't know how anybody can live without a smartphone!

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

Stay away from Verizon

I decided to go with Verizon Wireless and pick up the Samsung Galaxy Nexus after all the PR about Verizon being the best in coverage and reliability..let me tell you that is FAR from the truth. Their service here in Michigan City, IN is by far the WORST even worse than Sprint ..and that's really saying something.

And their coverage maps? Don't EVER rely on them from Verizon. Had my home with coverage and only to find out after I got the service I was in a "dead zone" called up Verizon to complain and got transfered to network department for them to tell me they'll send a tech out in the field to do "tests" and they'll get back with me in a couple days..I get a call a day or two later and basically they told me that I'm in a dead zone and to get service else where, REALLY Verizon!? Once I told them that their coverage map had me in a service zone and told them that is false advertising they had no reply really to that one only to repeat themselves with "get service elsewhere if you don't get good coverage with us."

Thank-god I canceled within the 14 day window..but I still had to pay a $38 restocking fee and was still billed for service that I received in that time.

WORSE. COMPANY. EVER.

Have since went with T-Mobile and couldn't be happier, fastest mobile speeds over all the other major networks (42Mbps in area), free wifi calling anywhere there's wifi and cheaper overall service than any of the others with a good phone, "Galaxy S2."

P.S Verizon's 3G speeds were slower than Sprints also, downtown Michigan City, IN I was lucky to get 4 bars out of 5...a town with a population of close to 50,000.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Build

Build, Baby, build!

$30 standalone (for 2, no wait.. 4gb data) and $120 in wirleess triple play? no problem!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtecDiArEwQ

Just don't subscribe so they bring down prices or risk having a multi-billion dollar boondoggle.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to thegeek

Re: Alaska

said by thegeek:

I just don't know how anybody can live without a smartphone!

Yes, one can only imagine the sheer unmitigated horror of being unplugged from the internet for several hours at a time!

iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03
reply to ztmike

Re: Stay away from Verizon

said by ztmike:

I decided to go with Verizon Wireless and pick up the Samsung Galaxy Nexus after all the PR about Verizon being the best in coverage and reliability..let me tell you that is FAR from the truth. Their service here in Michigan City, IN is by far the WORST even worse than Sprint ..and that's really saying something.

And their coverage maps? Don't EVER rely on them from Verizon. Had my home with coverage and only to find out after I got the service I was in a "dead zone" called up Verizon to complain and got transfered to network department for them to tell me they'll send a tech out in the field to do "tests" and they'll get back with me in a couple days..I get a call a day or two later and basically they told me that I'm in a dead zone and to get service else where, REALLY Verizon!? Once I told them that their coverage map had me in a service zone and told them that is false advertising they had no reply really to that one only to repeat themselves with "get service elsewhere if you don't get good coverage with us."

Thank-god I canceled within the 14 day window..but I still had to pay a $38 restocking fee and was still billed for service that I received in that time.

WORSE. COMPANY. EVER.

Have since went with T-Mobile and couldn't be happier, fastest mobile speeds over all the other major networks (42Mbps in area), free wifi calling anywhere there's wifi and cheaper overall service than any of the others with a good phone, "Galaxy S2."

P.S Verizon's 3G speeds were slower than Sprints also, downtown Michigan City, IN I was lucky to get 4 bars out of 5...a town with a population of close to 50,000.

It varies from city to city, and even tower to tower. Verizon has 4G LTE here in the rural south and is faster than the only kind of internet we get which is satellite.

Meanwhile T-Mobile barely has service, and the little service they do have is GPRS which is 20kbps.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Was it really necessary to quote his entire post for the three sentences that you wrote?

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to ztmike

That's just your own personal experience in one small geographic area. The majority of the 100 million or so Verizon customers will likely disagree with you.

I travel frequently, mostly through rural areas, and am very rarely outside of a Verizon 3G signal. Almost never outside of a voice signal.

iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03
reply to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

Was it really necessary to quote his entire post for the three sentences that you wrote?

Was it really necessary to reply to a post about a quote?

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to ztmike

Depends on the city, as iFail 5G said.

In Denver, Verizon no longer has the fastest network, from what I've seen. T-Mobile does, for downloads anyway. 10-20 Mbps down, 2.5-3 Mbps up in most of the Denver metro. Verizon has higher upload speeds (around 5 Mbps) but downloads are in the 5-12 Mbps area (as advertised, but not very fast). AT&T is 2-5 Mbps if I remember correctly, and Sprint is 1 Mbps for all intents and purposes (4G is evasive).

In South Florida, I've seen my T-Mobile aircard hit 20 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up. Sprint is 1Mbps, maybe a bit more. Didn't test with Verizon while there last December.

In Fredericksburg, TX, Verizon only has 3G, albeit at 2-2.5 Mbps down, 600-800 kbps up. Sprint is 0.5-2 Mbps down, 350-650 kbps up. AT&T is 1-4 Mbps down (usually 2 Mbps), 1 Mbps up. T-Mobile only has GPRS here.

In nearby Kerrville, Verizon is next to worthless, Sprint has comparable speeds to what they have here, AT&T is comparable to what they are here, T-Mobile is comparable to what they are here...and the local just-turned-on-3G provider has 2-3 Mbps down, 500-800 kbps up, taking the crown for fastest service.

It's all a game of YMMV. I have Sprint because, frankly, I don't want to pay for Verizon at this point and I want at least 3G wherever I happen to be. Sprint delivers on this, so I'm with them.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

Yes.

FLATLINE

join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY

Funny

What a joke! Got people complaining about 3g? Another saying he can't get service in Alaska? Seriously? Nobody lives in Freaking Alaska. Its just you and Sarah Palin.

The article is about 4g and how many markets its in. Which in itself is a joke. Let's count how many markets Verizon has 4g that just works. I'd love to know what that number is. I get the feeling its a big fat Zero!

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:38

$$$

And to pay for the new LTE network, close the call centers. »Verizon Wireless Closing Numerous Call Centers

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to ztmike

said by ztmike:

Verizon 3Gs speeds are faster than what Sprint offers in my area which is ZERO service. So really fuck off Sprint.

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to FLATLINE

Re: Funny

Did you read the article? It mentions Alaska specifically. That it will be the only state that doesn't have 4G by 2013.

You're also quite ignorant about the 49th state. Alaska has a population of close to 750k people. Maybe the next time you're at the pump getting gas you'll think about Alaska. As a lot of our oil comes from the state. And several thousand people work in Alaska to get you that oil. That oil also generates billions of dollars of tax revenue for the country. Next time you're eating salmon or crab (or any of the many other sea food products from Alaska) you can also thank the thousands of fishermen who brave the environment so you can have your meal. Also, every day you can thank the many service men and women who brave the elements to be stationed in remote areas of Alaska to monitor and run systems that keep this country safe. Ever bought anything from Asia that came here by Air freight? It most likely made a stop in Anchorage at one of the busiest freight airports in the country. Etc....

dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
reply to FLATLINE

I have been in many markets with Verizon LTE it works well. Speeds vary, but the service works great. From Boston where I live and see between 10-25mps downloads and 3-5mps uploads. I have used it in Las Vegas, Orlando, Salt Lake City, Long Beach, Kansas City, MO. Speeds and Signal Very a lot. Verizon is building there network in Alaska currently, so I can see why they will be late with 4g there.

dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
reply to XPAMD

Re: Meanwhile at AT&T....

Att LTE is fast here in Boston I have seen 30 mbs downloads and 8 mbs uploads. It was fast as well in Salt Lake City when I was there earlier in the month. I wish they would speed up deployment. I also had fast speeds in Long Beach

Premium
West Tenness

just 5% of all Verizon users use 4G

Pretty simple

you take a family of 4 that uses regular phones that would like to use smartphones but do not need the data plan since they can use Wi-Fi or they just don't need data. Now since data plans are mandatory and Verizon cheapest plan is $30 per phone that's an extra $120 a month or $1440 a year for service. And Verizon wants to know why customers don't upgrade? Offering to double data I don't want/need/use doesn't mean a whole lot. Bad enough these companies charge 1000X the cost of a text message. Here's an idea since texts is just data make texting part of the data package. Also offer something lower than $30 a month.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

I just don't know how anybody can live without a smartphone!

How did you do it before smartphones came about?

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to ztmike

I argee with you stay way from Verizon!!! There coverage is a joke.

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to 88615298

I managed just fine. I was just being sarcastic.

CaptainRR
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH
reply to dplantz

As far as I know I dont think Verizon owns any 700 MHz spectrum in Alaska? Or any spectrum for that matter in that state.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to thegeek

I was thinking about taking a plane trip to Alaska, but I gotta see California first as I have never been anywhere except midwest and northeast (NYC, MA).

chgo_man99

San Jose, CA
reply to 88615298

Re: just 5% of all Verizon users use 4G

they should also introduce unlimited international texting for not too much. Even Canucks can get it from Rogers but not we Americans from Verizon or at&t.

whats strange, at&t's long distance int messaging plan only offers 100 for $10, while for roaming texting plan they offer bigger packages.

Not counting free alternatives like imessage, AIM or textfree, I think its just cheaper to get feature prepaid phone if you wanna just text abroad a lot.

thegeek
Premium
right here
reply to chgo_man99

save yourself the trouble and skip california. you'll enjoy alaska much better. i suggest a cruise through the southeast and then camping and hiking in the interior.

chgo_man99

San Jose, CA

Ca has beautiful wilderness too. And it has beaches.

But I will see someday Alaska and HI, the only two odd noncontonental states separated from mainland by water or another country.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to ztmike

Verizon had good coverage when I lived in Iowa (predominently rural) and I moved to Springfield MA (dense urban area) and their coverage was spotty and my house and the Eastfield Mall were in dead zones. They have a store by the Eastfield Mall and they had to install a repeater on the roof of their store to get reception in the store. I jumped ship with them in 2004 (paying an ETF) and went with then Cingular (who had recently went from TDMA to GSM at the time and had bought out the original AT&T wireless). They had better reception but not perfect as they had poor quality handsets (the Cingular phone I had at the time was an LG L1400 which was a downgrade from my VZW LG VX6000, which was nicer). Fast forward to 2011, AT&T is a sinking ship in terms of quality (declining reception, aging infrastructure, and increasing number of dropped calls), I jumped ship with AT&T and went back to Verizon as they have filled in their dead spots, improved their service/coverage, and added iPhone to their lineup. I think I'll stick with Verizon.

My mother refuses to switch her phone to Verizon so now we have two cell phone bills.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

I'd be happy if Verizon just had good 3G service in Alaska. I hate going to visit my inlaws and not having a data connection. I just don't know how anybody can live without a smartphone!

Does Alaska even have Verizon towers or are they Extended Network. York county, Maine used to be extended network until Verizon bought out Unicel (who used to be their roaming partner before they went GSM).
As for the data speeds, their towers are only as good as the link between the towers and the network backbone.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 88615298

Re: just 5% of all Verizon users use 4G

said by 88615298:

Pretty simple

you take a family of 4 that uses regular phones that would like to use smartphones but do not need the data plan since they can use Wi-Fi or they just don't need data. Now since data plans are mandatory and Verizon cheapest plan is $30 per phone that's an extra $120 a month or $1440 a year for service. And Verizon wants to know why customers don't upgrade? Offering to double data I don't want/need/use doesn't mean a whole lot. Bad enough these companies charge 1000X the cost of a text message. Here's an idea since texts is just data make texting part of the data package. Also offer something lower than $30 a month.

If you're THAT interested in saving money, there are PREPAID plans that use Verizon towers such as Straight Talk (for $45 per month). Why spend $120 and be in contract hell for 2 years? The only way you lose your number is if you don't pay for monthly service for 1 month OR choose to cancel service w/o tranferring the number elsewhere. The B/S about customer service is quite blown out of proportion. Priciest phones end off around $300 (average $100-$250 for feature & smart phones). They will eventually hit you with a limit/warning on data, but it's not like $10/gb overages, while your paying a contract carrier so much money already and they want more..