dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-21 16:08:38: Comcast and Verizon went before Congress today to defend their co-branding arrangement, which includes the cable industry bundling Verizon LTE service with the cable industry's triple play service -- in addition to selling them $3. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

It's a given the goal is to crush the competition

There's no doubt this will give Verizon and the cable MSO's a massive competitive advantage over everyone else.

IMHO far too much of the spectrum is already in the hands of the big two, Verizon and AT&T.

What should be happening is the Congress and the FCC should be looking seriously at expanding the spectrum options for everyone else, and that includes fast tracking Dish's LTE plans and smaller operators.

The whole point of the auction process to the MSO's was to generate new options and competition--- not to turn around and have them hand it all over to the entrenched players. Which is pretty much exactly what has been happening....

We all will suffer for this.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Cohen made a credible defense of the deal

Comcast's Cohen made a credible defense of the deal between the cable companies and Verizon. Especially in the claims that the deal should trigger anti-trust concerns.

He has been lobbying Congress for 10 yrs now as Comcast's mouthpiece and before that as the City of Philadelphia's Chief of Staff to the Mayor. And as a big time Dem contributor and power broker and also a mouthpiece for Comcast, he speaks easily to both parties on the Senate Committee.

His main points:

Deal has made no changes to previously planned action by Verizon to curtail Fios and Comcast's plan to not get in to wireless. So that concerns the deal encouraged that behavior was ridiculous.

This isn't a merger and no competitors are being removed from the marketplace like the AT&T/TMO deal.

The cross-selling agreements are no different than those already being done by competitors with Dish & DirecTV.

Therefore anti-trust concerns are not relevant.

Verizon spokesperson made the same points.

Ultimately the long standing relationships by both Comcast and Verizon lobbyists with Senate members of both parties will likely mean the committee is merely going thru the motions on doing anything to halt this deal.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

4 edits

Terabit

New Local Wireless

Once again,the private sector wins while Americans lose out.

Can these Beck / Rush / GOP types please explain why these very same carriers are lobbying every single state to prevent counties and cities from rolling out their own FTTH network???

What the FCC needs to do is set aside 100MHZ in an unused frequency for the various towns, cities, and counties to be able to establish their own network. That way they are not limited with the constraints of 2.4GHz 802.11 nor does it clash with local wireless networks.

Now, how do we get the GOP to vote in the interests of the American people for a change...
daake07
join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

1 recommendation

daake07

Let it go

Verizon announced last year that they were halting their FiOS roll out just like AT&T is halting their U-Verse roll out.

I don't see this as anti-competitive, and how is it any different than Centurylink offering service with a satellite company. They offer their Prism home TV service, which I believe they are expanding. In fact if I remember right they also partnered with Verizon Wireless to sell mobile phone service.

The only ones who should be opposed to this are the major competitors who would also want that spectrum, Sprint, AT&T, US Cellular, T-Mobile.

It's unfortunate that Windstream and Frontier can't compete in terms of speed, their only hope is to compete on price. They could also try DSL binding as well as vDSL to help compete with cable companies. I know when I'm given a choice between 1.5Mbps DSL or 22Mbps/5Mbps cable, I will be taking the cable.

It's been stated for a while, once residential LTE becomes available it will trounce DSL service. The only major issue with it would be the data caps. Once they increase to a reasonable level there would almost be no reason to get DSL.

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

3 edits

HaloFans

Only approved if Verizon builds out FiOS for everyone

by 2013.

Otherwise, forget about it. Reject this deal like it's hot.

Verizon wants to find a cop out excuse to discontinue building FiOS, and this deal is a perfect exit strategy.

Every time that quarter report arrives, Verizon will argue that people want wireless connections since their DSL numbers are dwindling even though the real reason is Verizon is not willing to go head to head to compete with cable companies. Putting money in FiOS and offering a competitive price structure is the real strategy, but since corporations are people, arguing your way out and paying others is American business.

Absolutely slimy move.
HaloFans

1 recommendation

HaloFans to daake07

to daake07

Re: Let it go

Between you and NWOhio, which one is the better corporate apologist?
Terabit

1 edit

Terabit to daake07

to daake07
Basically, those Americans outside the limited areas and streets already cabled with Fios are stuck.

Once again, the rest of the world propels ahead while we are held hostage and at the mercy of corporate boards - of legacy monopolistic businesses.

Nowhere in our Constitution does it state that business has a right to generate profits at our expense.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Cohen made a credible defense of the deal

Cohen is also big time DEM fundraiser. You think Dem controlled Senate is going to get in the way. Enjoy the show.
Terabit

Terabit to HaloFans

to HaloFans

Re: Only approved if Verizon builds out FiOS for everyone

Hey, who doesn't want 10 gigs of so so LTE speeds for $80.

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

1 recommendation

HaloFans

Law official: What is this deal going to do?

Verizon/Comcast: Going to offer lower prices for all customers in the tough economy, and therefore, businesses can create jobs.

Law official: OK! I don't understand what tech does, but since you used keywords to make it sound good, you get the carrot.

*stamp*

-----------

Says pro-consumer.

Raises prices every year.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Cohen made a credible defense of the deal

Right, decision not to get into wireless.

So spectrum should revert back to the taxpayer. Use it or lose it. Not grab it, sit it, sell it to entrenched player.

We all knew this was going to happen, the FCC rules were so weak and left this huge loophole--- deliberately. The way AT&T and Verizon wanted it.
Terabit

Terabit to HaloFans

to HaloFans

Yep. Every single ad from Oil, Coal, CTIA lobbying mentions that they will magically create millions of jobs.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

said by Terabit:

Yep. Every single ad from Oil, Coal, CTIA lobbying mentions that they will magically create millions of jobs.

Absent from their pro industry ads is lowering prices and doing right by the consumer. This is the NEW normal in recent years Comcast and AT&T who have the MOST foot-print overlap have colluded to keep prices high and innovation low. How can you expect anything different between an alliance with Comcast and Verizon. IMHO, Comcast is playing the telcos for a fool as they must have some grand scheme to screw the consumer AND the telcos at the same time. We just don't know EXACTLY what it is yet..

treich
join:2006-12-12

1 edit

treich

This is so funny

This is so funny even if Verizon was able to crush "US" wisp that would be very tall order to do.

Because Verizon is noting but crappy ass caps and overloaded site towers LOL!!!!

IT only takes a WISP offer 20+ Mbps vs your crappy ass LTE service and once a WISP do that it would seriously crush Verizon services.

Here you go for the MOBILE data speed: »www.phonearena.com/news/ ··· _id17405
treich

treich to Terabit

to Terabit

Any WISP can due LTE speeds without caps for $80 dollars if they really wanted to.
Terabit

1 edit

Terabit to treich

to treich

Re: This is so funny

You need Spectrum in order to do this and VZ and AT&T have secured all of the quality spectrum for themselves.

2.4GHZ WIFI is useless.

Comparing ground up large scale long-distance LTE to WIFI is a joke.

treich

treich

You dont need spectrum there buddy you can do it over 2.4Ghz/ 5Ghz setup I have seen WISP posting 15+ Mbps to customers.

There is a WISP in PA is pushing 10+ Mbps on speed burst take look at this WISP: »www.netlinx.net/

Just wait intil White Space WIFI takes off if it ever does then it will blow any mobile carrier out.
Terabit

1 edit

Terabit

For starters 802.11 has finite power limits, which means you need about 7 to 9 base-stations to cover a single mile versus the 1 of 700MHZ LTE.

Even if they could boost the power, it would kill off home wireless networks.

Now, if congress could allocate the 500 to 600 MHZ range, for example, the problem would indeed be solved and it would be extremely feasible. One base-station could cover about 10+ miles.

However, all of these cable and wireless corporations would scream murder and pump billions into lobbying against such a proposal.

treich

1 edit

treich

Not true there buddy you can do 3+ miles on one basestation of the 2.4/5Ghz setup.

I dont know where you get your information from.

I have seen 5Ghz backhaul setups do 20miles + so better check your stories there buddy.

I would suggest you check out this ubnt.com for starters to show you what kind of equipment you can use to do 3+ miles on basestation.
Terabit

Terabit

36 dBm is the power limit. Not to mention, you'd need a massive and expensive fixed antenna to transmit back to the WISP.

Then there are all of the environmental factors that affect a signal at that frequency. WISP's tend to be better suited for rural settings than anything mainstream.

The fact that Clearwire has failed with Wimax at close to that frequency, says a lot really about the prospects of WISP.

treich

2 edits

treich

Yes I know the 36dBm is the maximum power limit but I am disagreeing about what you said that you need 7-9 basestation to cover one mile is NOT TRUE!!!! You can do it with one basestation doing 3+ miles. It all depends on your Fresnal Clearance Zone if you dont got good Fresnal Clearance Zone of course it will take 1-2 basestations to cover the mile but what you said earlier is a LIE and NOT TRUE!!!

here is going from the best to the worse:

900Mhz ----> 2.4Ghz ---> 3.65Ghz unlicensed and Licensed WiMax --> 5Ghz -- Worse
Automate
join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

Automate to daake07

to daake07

said by daake07:

Verizon announced last year that they were halting their FiOS roll out just like AT&T is halting their U-Verse roll out.

For now. Do you really think that Verizon will never put down any more FiOS fiber?

Think about in a few years when:
* The economy begins to grow again
* Unemployment drops
* Housing market picks up
* Fiber gear continues to drop in price
* The US population and housing density continues to grow
* 100Mb connections are a must-have by everyone wanting to use latest internet capabilities
Terabit

Terabit to treich

to treich

Let's look a this another way. Do you seriously think no one ever thought of a WISP? There is a reason that a majority of city based WISP have gone bankrupt.

treich

treich

Well I am talking about rural WISP's I guess we dont have understanding what we even talking about. In the city of course it wont fly very will but Rural WISP's are the key here because there isnt anything would be able to take that down and I am sure verizon or any other cell carrier wont be able to do that.

Only way it can be taken down is the WTS aka whitespace wifi because the whitespace have very long base range like 10+ miles from one basestation.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Automate

to Automate

Verizon operates in some of the most affluent counties in the US, yet they still stopped rolling out FiOS to those areas. I'm not sure why they did that but I don't think that your bullet points are going to get them to startup again. They have some other agenda in motion.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k

Premium Member

said by jjeffeory:

Verizon operates in some of the most affluent counties in the US, yet they still stopped rolling out FiOS to those areas. I'm not sure why they did that but I don't think that your bullet points are going to get them to startup again. They have some other agenda in motion.

IMO, VZ, especially now with a CEO from the wireless side, loves the profit margin of wireless and are putting nearly all money into LTE. Their unwillingness to negotiate a new contract with the union seems to indicate they aren't interested very much with the wire line side with its union employees.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to HaloFans

to HaloFans

the real reason is verizon is selling off it's dsl areas to smaller companies like fairpoint and frontier, who have no intention or ability to keep the infrastructure up to date.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK to treich

Premium Member

to treich

Sure, put the service in the already crowded unlicensed band.

No thanks.

treich

treich

Well there is always WTS aka whitespace.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to daake07

Premium Member

to daake07

Exactly. And it's better that it's in the hands of a company who will deploy it than let it sit idle for years and years, just being wasted.
page: 1 · 2 · next