Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-22 10:49:57: A few years ago Cox Communications clarified that the company imposes what they call "soft" usage caps, which may or may not be enforced depending on the market. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Screw your caps Cox.

I will take my FIOS thank you very much...

And NO caps not even soft. I can use it 24/7 if I want. I already push 20TB/month and its NO problem. Screw u cox. For most of these companies caps are total BS just to get people to use their TV service. If you download all the TV you watch your easily looking at 500-750 GB usage with 1-1.5GB files for 720p series. Much more if 1080p.
--
150/75 mbit Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

The fact that the meters rarely work

or work some-of-the-time should not deter Cox

Much like the upcoming RIAA/MPAA "enforcement" where users are deemed guilty by little-to-no-evidence.....these companies should go forward with these "You are guilty because we say you are"

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to houkouonchi

Re: Screw your caps Cox.

How much is that insane connection? I remember the discussion about you replacing the two FIOS with this super FIOS since you run servers and hosting, but how much does that thing run you per month?

Thistool

@144.70.2.x
reply to houkouonchi
Totally agree with you and so jealous of your insane connection. You rock Drool.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to talz13
said by talz13:

How much is that insane connection? I remember the discussion about you replacing the two FIOS with this super FIOS since you run servers and hosting, but how much does that thing run you per month?

You can bundle a 150/70 Mbps FiOS connection + TV bundle with every channel Verizon carries including premiums + Phone for $150-200/mo in NY/NJ.

If he's bonding two of those he might be looking at $400 a month.

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to talz13
said by talz13:

It is a bit over $400/month; however, for 450 megabits of combined (up/down bandwidth it comes out to less than $1 per megabit of up/down speed. Much better pricing than most others.

Also no cap so if I maxed the up and down I could potentially use 130TB/month up and down.

Also many people have TV/phone/internet 35/35 which can do 10TB/month (20TB in/out) and again no caps.
--

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
I'd love to have that type of link.

What's the router handling all this traffic?

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Simba7:

I'd love to have that type of link.

What's the router handling all this traffic?

A 1u box with an intel core i3-2120t (35w TDP) machine. The atom 1.6 Ghz box I had before wasnt quite fast enough to handle VPN at the speeds I needed which I use for the bonding.
--

gballer

@reyrey.net

So

who will be checking these so called meters to make sure they are acurate and customers arent getting hosed?

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to houkouonchi

Nice.. What are you running? FreeBSD or Linux?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to houkouonchi
said by houkouonchi:

If you download all the TV you watch your easily looking at 500-750 GB usage with 1-1.5GB files for 720p series. Much more if 1080p.

Wow, that's a lot of TV each month. That's almost 12 hours a day.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to gballer

Re: So

Each individual customer before they pay their bill?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to houkouonchi

download all the TV you watch? sound like illegal activity to me.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to houkouonchi
you downloading 20 TB a month is why companies have caps. it's called REASONABLE useage.

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Simba7
said by Simba7:

Nice.. What are you running? FreeBSD or Linux?

Linux since that is what I am intimately familiar with and not even sure if there is a packet based round robin bonding driver for bsd so not even sure if I could do what I am doing on bsd.
--

Uncomm0n

join:2005-04-21
Centreville, VA
reply to 88615298
I got news for ya buddy. When a connection is labeled "UNLIMITED" especially FiOS, ANY amount of usage is reasonable. The only way it would be unreasonable is if its not labeled "UNLIMITED"

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to 88615298
Hes paying over $400 a month for a 450 mb connection. For that kind of money and that kind of bandwidth 20TB, he *can* do a total of 130TB a month so hes using less than 1/6th of what he can use. Only using 1/6th of what you pay for hardly seems unreasonable to me.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to 88615298
20TB is completely reasonable. That's only 15% utilization of his $400/month connection. Maybe after 100TB you could say he was downloading a lot, but even then the ISP has no right to complain since they chose to offer such a fat pipe

Bill Neilson
Premium
Arlington, VA
reply to openbox9

said by openbox9:

Each individual customer before they pay their bill?

How would a consumer know if what the meter says is correct?

My parents and friends would not have even the SLIGHTEST clue how much they use per month

Fast Turtle

join:2008-02-19
reply to houkouonchi

If I downloaded all the TV I watch, it would be Zero used of a 1MB cap. The reason is pretty simple. I no longer watch TV or any sort of Paid Programming so your argument is a non-issue for me. Heck I've even stopped using BT for the same reason I quit watching TV and going to the Movies. Nothing good available.

What I do miss is my local bookstore as I prefer reading over any of the passive experiences of simply watching.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Bill Neilson

said by Bill Neilson:

Most people couldn't estimate how many kilowatt hours their air conditioner uses in the summer, but they know when their bill is off.

said by Bill Neilson:

My parents and friends would not have even the SLIGHTEST clue how much they use per month

I bet they'd figure it out if they had a financial incentive to do so.

KnightAR

join:2004-04-22
San Marcos, CA
reply to houkouonchi

If I was able to get Verizon where I live, I would jump ship the day I found out FIOS was available in my area =/

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
reply to Bill Neilson

How does anyone know if what their electric, gas, or water meter reads is correct? They have to accept the word of the company, right?

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to Bill Neilson
said by Bill Neilson:

A consumer could always implement their own method of monitoring bandwidth usage and assume some responsibility.
said by Bill Neilson:

I bet if they start paying by the byte, they might be interested in learning about their usage

Bill Neilson
Premium
Arlington, VA
reply to espaeth
said by espaeth:

Most people couldn't estimate how many kilowatt hours their air conditioner uses in the summer, but they know when their bill is off.

I am not sure what exactly this point means anything other than how absurd it is to expect consumers to know whether their bill is correct or not.

said by Bill Neilson:

Ah, so on top of the bill we pay for the over-priced, under-performing service....we are now being told that the company has little to no incentive to actually bill consumers correctly because frankly, it is the consumers fault for not GUESSING correctly whether their bill is correct or not?

Is that it?

Bill Neilson
Premium
Arlington, VA
reply to openbox9
said by openbox9:

A consumer could always implement their own method of monitoring bandwidth usage and assume some responsibility.

So the consumer must accept responsibility for the unreliable, incorrect meter that the ISP's forced on them?

I mean, the stupidity in that logic is really astounding

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Bill Neilson
said by Bill Neilson:

said by espaeth:

said by Bill Neilson:

Ah, so on top of the bill we pay for the over-priced, under-performing service....we are now being told that the company has little to no incentive to actually bill consumers correctly because frankly, it is the consumers fault for not GUESSING correctly whether their bill is correct or not?

Is that it?

That's one possible way of completely misinterpreting what I said, yes.

Bill Neilson
Premium
Arlington, VA
said by espaeth:

That's one possible way of completely misinterpreting what I said, yes.

What exactly did I misinterpret?

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to Bill Neilson
No, the consumer needs to assume responsibility for their actions. If the action is moving bits around on a metered connection, then it is in their best interest to know what they're doing. If they're ignorant of what a bit is, then they might want to educate themselves a little.
said by Bill Neilson:

I mean, the stupidity in that logic is really astounding

I'm honestly dumbfounded that you are unwilling to accept that numerous mechanisms exist for consumers to monitor their bandwidth usage.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to houkouonchi

Do you ever see consistent bonding on the upload side that gets you closer to the theoretical 150Mbps upload capability?