spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-28 16:25:02: After we'd scooped early details on the project in 2010, Verizon earlier this month officially unveiled their new "HomeFusion" fixed residential LTE service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

"5 gallon paint bucket"?

Holy shit, thats quite large to have on the side of your house or roof.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

get em hooked

like any good dealer the first hit is free or well less any way
get people used to a higher data cap and by the time the forget what the cap is theyll be going over it
GG Verizon

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

I like how Verizon is deploying this pointless shit instead of continuing to build a real broadband network like FiOS.

You can download more than 10 gigabytes in a month on dial up.

This isn't broadband. This is an abomination.

iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03

1 recommendation

said by 45612019:

I like how Verizon is deploying this pointless shit instead of continuing to build a real broadband network like FiOS.

Clearly you have never lived in a rural area. Here in Birmingham where this is also one of their first markets for home fusion, a lot of rural areas can't even get LANDLINES. So the only option is is satellite which is horrible. This at least I pull down over 50mbit/s constantly.

Ill take the 10GB cap for usable service any day

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC

I know some peeps that gotta use their phone for home broadband access. They would love to have this even with the caps. Tho 12mbit will eat up 10gb in no time streaming.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to iFail 5G

said by iFail 5G:

That doesn't make it any less of a joke though.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to iFail 5G

It's funny. There's rural, and then their is RURAL.

My sister lives in Whitam, MD. Lower Eastern shore MD between Tillghman Island & St. Michael's. They're pretty much in the middle of nowhere but they have cable & Cable Internet.

From where I sit (outer suburbs of Philadelphia) they live in a pretty rural area.

Then I paid a visit to my friend's house up in the Poconos. Him & his wife plan on moving up these some time next year. Talk about RURAL. They can get a phone, but not much else. His wife works from home, and I can definitely see them ending up with something like this.

As far as the can being the size of a five gallon paint can, I was a bit taken aback by that, but then again, I bet you can put it in your attic...
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

iFail 5G

reply to mythology

said by mythology:

I know some peeps that gotta use their phone for home broadband access. They would love to have this even with the caps. Tho 12mbit will eat up 10gb in no time streaming.

With satellite I was never even able to hit 6 gig's in a month because its been so poor. So I can gladly watch my usage for 10GB and usable service lol. I have Charter 100mbit/s at my city house so I am spoiled there and use about 200GB a month streaming and other stuff. But to a lot of these people without options this is a dream! I know so many people right now with regular Verizon 3G data cards that pay $60 for 5GB, so to have stable LTE service and 5 extra gigs this is amazing.

iFail 5G

reply to N3OGH

said by N3OGH:

It's funny. There's rural, and then their is RURAL.

My sister lives in Whitam, MD. Lower Eastern shore MD between Tillghman Island & St. Michael's. They're pretty much in the middle of nowhere but they have cable & Cable Internet.

From where I sit (outer suburbs of Philadelphia) they live in a pretty rural area.

Then I paid a visit to my friend's house up in the Poconos. Him & his wife plan on moving up these some time next year. Talk about RURAL. They can get a phone, but not much else. His wife works from home, and I can definitely see them ending up with something like this.

As far as the can being the size of a five gallon paint can, I was a bit taken aback by that, but then again, I bet you can put it in your attic...

I know what you mean, Alabama has some RURAL area's like my lake house. It's a beautiful new community with brand new lake front home's, but we can't even get running city water. We have a reverse osmosis filtered well system, septic tank, a road we had to fork out a whole bunch to pave, and pay almost $6000 to run electricity to.

The paint bucket is the least of my worries Look's a lot nicer than the crappy huge dish on my house for internet now.

iFail 5G

reply to Kamus

said by Kamus:

said by iFail 5G:

No, it doesn't. Its still ridiculous, and overpriced. But the buildout they have done in rural Alabama is amazing, and its a lot of people's only source of internet besides satellite so I am thinking it will be a hit.

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

1 recommendation

reply to 45612019

said by 45612019:

i am so sick of that straw man argument. in theory you could download 10 gigs with dial up but you would have to download continuously for days on end to reach 10gb and that is if your dial up connection doesn't randomly disconnect on you

you have definitely never lived in a rural area. this is going to be a godsend for people whose only option is dial up or satellite

New York, NY
reply to iFail 5G

You're right. I haven't.

I have never seen the sense in moving into a good house if it has piss-poor communications infrastructure and is far away enough from a city that you are completely isolated from society. That is no way to live.

No matter how nice the house is, having no communications and no access to a city water supply is a deal breaker. There's plenty of nice houses to be found which have these things.

chances14

Michigan

good for you. not everyone likes living in the big city

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to 45612019

Some people run a well for water, and use wireless.

en103

join:2011-05-02

who wouldn't...

Something somewhat similar was offered in Canada under 'look.ca' for years as a wireless TV / ISP. Bell considered it competition and bought it, then shut it down.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to Duramax08

Re: "5 gallon paint bucket"?

I was going to say the same thing!

tman852

join:2010-07-06
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to chances14

Re: A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

He's from New York, what can you expect? I'll take outdoors living away from shit tons of people any day instead of a concrete jungle.

moddestmike

join:2009-01-26
Houston, TX

Oil\Gas rigs are cheering for this.

We are currently entertainig this as an option to our vsat setups for our rigs in the various plays. While the caps are small, I'm sure Verizon would be more than willing to work something out for business users.

Rain\Cloud fade have been a pain in our asses for as long as I've been working in this field.

LTE is a godsend in this case, but a joke for residential use.

iFail 5G

reply to 45612019

said by 45612019:

You're right. I haven't.

I have never seen the sense in moving into a good house if it has piss-poor communications infrastructure and is far away enough from a city that you are completely isolated from society. That is no way to live.

No matter how nice the house is, having no communications and no access to a city water supply is a deal breaker. There's plenty of nice houses to be found which have these things.

I have fun not seeing my neighbors getting killed in drive by's, dealing with idiots and smog in ridiculous traffic, loud noise continuously, dirty streets ect..

Its a deal breaker for me not being able to take my boats out anytime I want, being able to ride my ATV wherever the hell I want, and depending on the gov. for every single thing. If the city water supply gets contaminated which has happened before, I still have sanitary, clean, well water.

Oh and its nice not to have to hear my neighbor beating his wife on the 5th floor seeing as my closest neighbors are at least 1/2 away or more.

iFail 5G

reply to tman852

said by tman852:

He's from New York, what can you expect? I'll take outdoors living away from shit tons of people any day instead of a concrete jungle.

Same here, ill take a screen door and lemonade vs. barred window's and brown outs

New York, NY
reply to iFail 5G

Hahaha.

Is this really what conservatives think city life is like?

This explains everything.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Whoa...

Well, this is great news for Dialup users... I mean, snappy.
As long as they think they still have dialup (caps...). Still cheaper than Dish (networking) and no latency. Sign me and my cabin up! (get 5 bars up in the Adirondack with VZW so...)

but....

Lemme see, Windows 7 updates monthly (as long as no service pack at 1GIG is involved), AV updates, patches, program updates (and don't for get App downloads)... and that is just ONE PC, not the other laptop, the Xbox (average 700Meg d/l per DLC, demos...) ...

So, anyone care to post just exactly how much bandwidth:
-does a Netflix movie/show stream use
-does an xbox Mulitplayer game session use (2 hours average)
-does an xbox monthly use consume (gaming, not Video apps)
-does an Windows 7 computer consume (updates, patches, programs, AV, email, web browsing, uploads to eBay...)
-appliance use (HDTV, firmware, apps, Roku...)

BTW, Verizon (I HIGHLY suspect) has done the metrics on data use (we gave them it) and just like cellphone data use (some never use more than 450 mins but never less than 390min so we'll make lowest charge 400min with 750min the next minutes bucket) they know where to "show me da money".
Like a crack dealer, give them more at first to hook'em then throw a premium when they DO go over (and by 1/6 what they would be allocated).
--
Splat

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Caps should be doubled.

I'll continue to use my capless Verizon LTE mobile hotspot thank you.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to mythology

said by mythology:

Then don't do streaming. The users of this will just be happy to have fast web browsing and software updates and ability to upload some occasional pics to relatives.
--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/2012-election/

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to iFail 5G

said by iFail 5G:

said by Kamus:

said by iFail 5G:

No, it doesn't. Its still ridiculous, and overpriced.

Not just overpriced, Verizon is charging at least 5 times what they should for an overage. If this is the result of de-regulation then we really need more regulation of companies like Verizon just to protect consumers.

chances14

Michigan
reply to 45612019

nice rebuttal

pull out the politics card

since when are conservatives the only ones who live in rural areas anyways?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to 45612019

I'll take the burbs over middle of nowhere and crappy wireless broadband.

Middle of nowhere might be a nice place for a vacation, but forget living there. here in the burbs I have fast internet and I know my road will get plowed with in hours of a snow fall instead of weeks.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

New York, NY
reply to chances14

That post was unworthy of a rebuttal.

The minute someone starts harping about the government and stereotyping any civilized area as being some gang war shootout zone you know you're dealing with a conservative.

New York, NY
reply to Sammer

Five times? Try 500 times.

If you believe Verizon is paying anything more than an average of 2 cents/gig for Internet traffic then you've been brainwashed.

New York, NY
reply to Kearnstd

This. The burbs exist for a reason. Gives you some civilization without having people stacked on top of you.