spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-28 16:25:02: After we'd scooped early details on the project in 2010, Verizon earlier this month officially unveiled their new "HomeFusion" fixed residential LTE service. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next
Expand your moderator at work

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

Not for video streaming. Any questions?

The world will not come to an end if you can't watch Netflix HD.

Those who live in fringe areas can still get their DVDs by mail, or order satellite service.

Lamiel

join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI
Reviews:
·Skyweb Online

said by elray:

The world will not come to an end if you can't watch Netflix HD.

Those who live in fringe areas can still get their DVDs by mail, or order satellite service.

And if all the ISPs that served your area changed their plans to match the prices and caps of HomeFusion? Would you accept that without complaint? Obviously, this is an unlikely scenario (for the time being), but for the sake of perspective, perhaps you should entertain the notion for a bit. I grow weary of all this "Rural folk should move to town or stop complaining about internet" stuff. We're not hillbillies sitting on stumps with grass in our teeth. We want the same technology that others enjoy. If we don't sound off about it, we'll never get it. The squeaky hinge...
--
Core2Quad Q9450 @ 3.4GHz, XFX 780i SLI mobo, MSI GTX 560 OC, 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2-1066, Samsung 20x optical, Samsung F3 1TB HDD, Antec TP3 650 watt PSU, CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case, Win7 Home Premium 64 bit...

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to courty3210

Re: specs on the can

Smartphones and dongles are omni-directional, which means they have the potential of tying up a slot/frequency on multiple towers at the same time. Presumably these cans are directional - aimed physically or electronically at a single tower. This reduces the impact on the wireless part of the link which is the part that's limited. By going directional, they can also increase the gain of the signal between the house and the tower. My guess is that they do that passively by the antenna design rather than increasing power. That's why the cans are as large as they are. They can't boost the tower power or the house power as that would cause problems for the mobile users.

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
join:2003-01-19
reply to UHF

Re: "5 gallon paint bucket"?

That's not a real issue. After all, AC and heat pumps are much bigger and uglier and no one blinks an eye at having them nestled right up to a house.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
reply to listonr12

Re: HomeFusion site

said by listonr12:

Apparently the antenna is connected to the router with a MoCA connection. Weird.

»www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/spla···sion.jsp

Yes, if you read the user manual, the coax connection is offered in addition to the wired and wireless ethernet connections.

It is interesting, because it suggests that Verizon is serious about doing video over the link as well as broadband. Can't see them impacting the broadband connection to do that, which suggests that they will dedicate additional bandwidth when the video is being used.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to DonLibes

But those are on the ground. This thing is most likely be raised up in the air.

anon222

@adstx.net
reply to fiberguy

Re: A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

That is a nice set of examples but you left out the fact that those costs don't increase once someone hit a magic number of GB's. You think tech support starts making a higher hourly wage or suddenly hires more people when you hit a certain GB? Think their employee insurance rates go up once I hit 10GB? lol They aren't increasing their backhual if they are rate limiting. Not one thing you listed goes up in cost when a user hits a magic number at which time they are exorbitantly charged for overages. Yes it is their choice but what the poster is getting at is the only cost that increases for Verizon is the cost of transfered bytes for said customer and the cost is very low for them. Instead of throttling they will impose crazy fees to line their pockets and advertise stunning speeds without rate limits!

GroovyPhoenx

join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON
reply to fiberguy

It does, of course! It's called the price of doing business. Making a profit? No that's not a crime. Profeteering however is. and at the cost and even with a markup, if the bandwidth cost and all those mentioned merited SOME markup it certainly shouldn't be from 10 cents to 10$! that's just ludicrous,

Just because someone CAN make that much a profit doesn't mean they SHOULD.

I can charge 100000000 to optimize a PC, but that doesn't mean I'll get it. Healthy competition keeps pries down, but companies like verizon etc don't want that to happen, instead those profit dollars are spent on big "donations" on senators/congressman to make sure they get their way. Hire more lobyists, and kill teh american economy. You want to blame folks for that? Blame moneygrubbing people who just think of the all mighty dolla.

DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
join:2003-01-19
reply to Duramax08

In the air? You mean like a dish? For a time, dishes were considered so ugly and offensive that many communities banned them altogether (or tried anyhow) but most people came round, gave in, and now view them almost as a proud scar, kind of a badge of honor - and the bigger the better. Before that, TV antennas went through the same thing.

A 5-gallon can seems no worse.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
reply to GroovyPhoenx

said by GroovyPhoenx:

It does, of course! It's called the price of doing business. Making a profit? No that's not a crime. Profeteering however is. and at the cost and even with a markup,

Really? Please cite the law that states that "profeteering", whatever that is, is illegal. Aside from a few state and local laws regarding pricing during or immediately after an emergency, I'm not aware of any.

said by GroovyPhoenx:

Just because someone CAN make that much a profit doesn't mean they SHOULD.

I think you might want to take a basic refresher course in economics. Just because someone can make a profit means they absolutely should. Those profits are turned around and spent on other products and services, which in turn puts other people to work and allows those business owners to make a profit.

tom thomas

join:2010-11-04

SIM cards?

does anyone know if this uses SIM cards?

i know verizon has some any device conditions on this spectrum block.

i am very curious SIM cards could be swapped between this hardware and verizon LTE cell phones.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to 45612019

said by 45612019:

I'd rather my connection drop down to half its speed during peak hours than be artificially limited to only using it for a tiny fraction of my billing period.

Do the rest of us get a vote? You know, those of us who need to occasionally download something big and whom aren't looking to use LTE as a replacement for purpose-designed video delivery systems?

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to cableties

Re: Whoa...

said by cableties:

Lemme see, Windows 7 updates monthly (as long as no service pack at 1GIG is involved), AV updates, patches, program updates (and don't for get App downloads)... and that is just ONE PC, not the other laptop

Out of curiosity, if it's just a cabin in the Adirondacks why don't you perform those updates at home on your fixed landline before you travel there? Maybe you don't want to move the desktop every time you go but this is certainly would work for the laptop.

There are options for the desktop too. Service Packs can be downloaded as standalone files outside of Windows Update. It would be trivial to take them up on a thumb drive.

As far as Netflix/Roku goes, I don't think anybody is claiming that LTE is a replacement for a fixed landline. Personally I don't understand the outrage around these parts with regards to caps and streaming video services. Wireless networks were not designed or intended to replace purpose designed video delivery systems.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to Crookshanks

No.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX
reply to DonLibes

A dish isnt even near 5 gallons though. Theyre nice and slim. This thing is suppose to be a 5 gallon bucket but hey, if you dont have access to anything else, you would put anything on your roof for some fast, capped and expensive service.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to PONYBOYGOLD

Re: It's the size of a 1 gallon paint bucket, not 5

Its the same size as a SKYPILOT repeater. Not sure where they came up with the 5 gallon thing. Where did they install it,a nd how high up?

said by PONYBOYGOLD :

I have it installed and can assure you it's not that big.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM

1 recommendation

reply to anon222

[

said by anon222 :

what the poster is getting at is the only cost that increases for Verizon is the cost of transfered bytes for said customer and the cost is very low for them.

What law requires that selling price be based on marginal cost?

Consider toll roads - If one additional vehicle goes across the road, do their costs increase? Should all the drivers get a rebate?

Consider airlines - If one more person gets on the plane, do their costs increase? Should that person fly free or all the other passenger tickets be reduced?

Pricing is based purely on what a person is willing to pay. If that covers costs plus a profit over the long term, then the business will continue. If not, it will shut down.

The primary flaw with cost plus pricing is that there is zero incentive to reduce the cost. If you know you are always going to get a certain percentage, why would you ever spend any money on improving what you are selling?

Profit is the motivation to invest. High profits attract competitors which drive prices down. Ultimately, the consumer can just say no and drive the company out of business. How's that for power?

rma153

@clearwire-wmx.net

my clearwire hotspot has no data cap

Clearwire hotspots have no data cap, and I get 7Mbps DS which is good for Netflix. I dumped my Sprint hotspot because Sprint's hotspots are capped.

celluser

@verizon.net
reply to Duramax08

NO THANKS VERIZON and you need to make the prices competitive as well!

celluser

@verizon.net
reply to Duramax08

you would think with todays modern technologies... they could develop and antenna that is MUCH smaller.... I've seen sat antennas for many purposes, wireless modules, etc. that have a much smaller profile... why on earth do they need an antenna anywhere near this size for this application? They don't get the cell signal from the MOON!

Ripperjack

join:2012-01-12
Fredericksburg, TX

I don't care how good it is!

Since I can't get ANY 4G signal, where I am in Hill Country Texas, this is all but USELESS for me!

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX
reply to celluser

Unless these antennas are going to act like repeaters? Just throwing the idea out there.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
reply to celluser

said by celluser :

why on earth do they need an antenna anywhere near this size for this application? They don't get the cell signal from the MOON!

It's not just distance, it's also signal strength. Cell phones are intentionally low power so they can reuse frequencies in adjacent cells. Crank the power up and you reduce the capacity of the system. Since this system piggybacks on the existing cell towers, they can't change anything. The larger antenna allows for less error correction and it's directional, so it only uses the tower its aimed at.

rma153

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to Ripperjack

Re: I don't care how good it is!

Yeah, my point is that the carriers don't have to cap. As clearwire puts in more towers and expands LTE coverage further out, Verizon may have to reconsider there cap.

Fiber to rural will never be completed because the Tier 3 carriers are all facing RUS subsidies being killed by Congress soon. So, LTE is the only solution (much better ROI). Verizon's HomeFusion won't be the only LTE game in town for rural in the future. The clearwires of the world will compete with no caps.

jmr50

join:2000-05-14
New York, NY

Remember, this isn't replacing DSL/Cable

Anyone complaining the caps are low or the prices are high are missing the point -- this isn't competing with DSL or Cable. This is getting deployed where none of that exists. This competes favorable against HughesNet ($100/month for 450MB a month at 2Mbps down).

ronkazrv

@myvzw.com

Cantenna

Search on "Canteens" to get cause of the actual size of the can. Its actually about the size of a one gallon paint can. It wax tested in Pennsylvania back in2010.

Expand your moderator at work

jzey23

@tamu.edu

Rural internet

It's a complete joke when compared to actual ISPs, but if your only broadband option is satellite, this one is a no brainer.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to jmr50

Re: Remember, this isn't replacing DSL/Cable

Not necessarily true. I'm in the Nashville market which one of the first one's launched. lots of cable and dsl choices in this market. comcast, charter, at&t, independent phone companies.
However, it will appeal to very rural areas outside of the metro area that have verizon towers out in the middle of nowhere in cow pastures.....

said by jmr50:

Anyone complaining the caps are low or the prices are high are missing the point -- this isn't competing with DSL or Cable. This is getting deployed where none of that exists. This competes favorable against HughesNet ($100/month for 450MB a month at 2Mbps down).