spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-28 16:25:02: After we'd scooped early details on the project in 2010, Verizon earlier this month officially unveiled their new "HomeFusion" fixed residential LTE service. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5

celluser

@verizon.net
reply to Duramax08

Re: "5 gallon paint bucket"?

you would think with todays modern technologies... they could develop and antenna that is MUCH smaller.... I've seen sat antennas for many purposes, wireless modules, etc. that have a much smaller profile... why on earth do they need an antenna anywhere near this size for this application? They don't get the cell signal from the MOON!

Ripperjack

join:2012-01-12
Fredericksburg, TX

I don't care how good it is!

Since I can't get ANY 4G signal, where I am in Hill Country Texas, this is all but USELESS for me!

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to celluser

Unless these antennas are going to act like repeaters? Just throwing the idea out there.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to celluser

said by celluser :

why on earth do they need an antenna anywhere near this size for this application? They don't get the cell signal from the MOON!

It's not just distance, it's also signal strength. Cell phones are intentionally low power so they can reuse frequencies in adjacent cells. Crank the power up and you reduce the capacity of the system. Since this system piggybacks on the existing cell towers, they can't change anything. The larger antenna allows for less error correction and it's directional, so it only uses the tower its aimed at.

rma153

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to Ripperjack

Re: I don't care how good it is!

Yeah, my point is that the carriers don't have to cap. As clearwire puts in more towers and expands LTE coverage further out, Verizon may have to reconsider there cap.

Fiber to rural will never be completed because the Tier 3 carriers are all facing RUS subsidies being killed by Congress soon. So, LTE is the only solution (much better ROI). Verizon's HomeFusion won't be the only LTE game in town for rural in the future. The clearwires of the world will compete with no caps.

jmr50

join:2000-05-14
New York, NY

Remember, this isn't replacing DSL/Cable

Anyone complaining the caps are low or the prices are high are missing the point -- this isn't competing with DSL or Cable. This is getting deployed where none of that exists. This competes favorable against HughesNet ($100/month for 450MB a month at 2Mbps down).

ronkazrv

@myvzw.com

Cantenna

Search on "Canteens" to get cause of the actual size of the can. Its actually about the size of a one gallon paint can. It wax tested in Pennsylvania back in2010.

Expand your moderator at work

jzey23

@tamu.edu

Rural internet

It's a complete joke when compared to actual ISPs, but if your only broadband option is satellite, this one is a no brainer.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to jmr50

Re: Remember, this isn't replacing DSL/Cable

Not necessarily true. I'm in the Nashville market which one of the first one's launched. lots of cable and dsl choices in this market. comcast, charter, at&t, independent phone companies.
However, it will appeal to very rural areas outside of the metro area that have verizon towers out in the middle of nowhere in cow pastures.....

said by jmr50:

Anyone complaining the caps are low or the prices are high are missing the point -- this isn't competing with DSL or Cable. This is getting deployed where none of that exists. This competes favorable against HughesNet ($100/month for 450MB a month at 2Mbps down).

joilverizon

@199.96.178.x

wow

Way too expensive, and way too involved for me. I'm not paying a 200.00 start up fee to have that on my roof. I also don't like the bandwidth caps. Verizon should be the first to do it "No bandwidth caps" . Imagine.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
reply to maddy777

Re: How totally overpriced and sad.

I don't think Verizon is concerned about Clear, or your patronage.
In time, their bucket size will grow, prices will drop, and Clear will congest. In the short term, the satellite people will convert.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to travelguy

Makes sense to have an outside directional antenna, if this thing is supposed to provide internet for a whole house, and many users may be on the outskirts. If I was stuck with dial-up this wouldn't be an issue for me, the caps however would be.

sonataq14

@pacbell.net
reply to 45612019

Re: A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

FIOS is a land based service where you have a cable coming to your house from the street. This service is entirely wirelessly connected to the network. You're not comparing apples to apples when you mention FIOS. However, I do agree with the posts about the costs of this. Verizon offers their home phone (connect) service for $20/monthly for unlimited use. It's also connected in the home, wirelessly, just like this Home Fusion product, using the Verizon network.

drivebypost

@verizon.net
reply to PONYBOYGOLD

Re: It's the size of a 1 gallon paint bucket, not 5

You're right. The unit weighs 4 pounds, is 10" tall and 8" in diameter.

VZWdirect

@zoominternet.net
reply to celluser

For the fastest internet out there thats pretty fair...and 5 gallon paint bucket?? its only 10" high its not big at all...u idiots need to get your info straight before you start talking...btw this is coming from a verizon employee, i have about 10 pages of info in this...so maybe re look up your stuff there...

VZWdirect

@zoominternet.net
reply to iFail 5G

Re: A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

theres not a 10GB cap, it ranges from 10-30...and even if you go over on that its on $10/GB after that

tonyrony

join:2005-05-13
Stafford, VA

Not Five Gallons

Click for full size
While I very much appreciate the DSL Reports article, I'm confident the size of the Verizon Fusion receiver is not the size of a five-gallon paint bucket. As I'm looking at this YouTube video (

youtu.be/BPxwkOH9A0I
), compare the size of the receiver relative to the fellow holding it.

At half the width of his chest, by my estimates, the diameter of the receiver is probably not wider than eight inches, which would make it about the size of a one-gallon or five-quart cylinder. And the second photo shows his hand is roughly half the receiver's diameter. So, just place your two fists together side-by-side, and you'd see the diameter is probably about seven inches.

What do you think? The article is greatly appreciated, though.