dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-28 16:25:02: After we'd scooped early details on the project in 2010, Verizon earlier this month officially unveiled their new "HomeFusion" fixed residential LTE service. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next
iFail 5G
join:2011-08-03

1 edit

iFail 5G to 45612019

to 45612019

Re: A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

said by 45612019:

That post was unworthy of a rebuttal.

The minute someone starts harping about the government and stereotyping any civilized area as being some gang war shootout zone you know you're dealing with a conservative.

Right, a conservative. I have a house in Atlanta, GA. Not really the sticks, but I am smart and educated enough from living across the US and throughout England and Germany and know from experience what *big* nasty cities are like.

Sounds like your a liberal, crack smoking hippie if were going with stereo type's. Or since your from NY, your either a taxi cab driver or a drug dealing Apple fan

Seriously, don't stereotype someone living in a rural area conservative.
iFail 5G

iFail 5G to 45612019

to 45612019
said by 45612019:

Five times? Try 500 times.

If you believe Verizon is paying anything more than an average of 2 cents/gig for Internet traffic then you've been brainwashed.

So how expensive is your wireless network, sign me up for your unlimited LTE
iFail 5G

iFail 5G to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin
said by sonicmerlin:

said by iFail 5G:

Its a deal breaker for me not being able to take my boats out anytime I want, being able to ride my ATV wherever the hell I want, and depending on the gov. for every single thing. If the city water supply gets contaminated which has happened before, I still have sanitary, clean, well water.

You realize your lifestyle is subsidized by federal tax money taken from the cities? Rural states are like black holes when it comes to tax money. Their economies feed on the trough of the military industrial complex and give nothing in return.

Oh well, I make up for it with my income and my house in the city. My lifestyle out there is fantastic, especially the part about my redneck neighbor's with brand new Escalades and Silverado HD's that get 12MPG, and my Malibu boat that gets more of 5MPG. My blackhole of a community is very nice.
iFail 5G

iFail 5G to shortyd999

to shortyd999
said by shortyd999:

Why do people consider Birmingham "rural"? I mean its a city of at 200K+ people (i know thats not large but still sizable). Or are they referring to the surrounding area?

The city of Birmingham isn't really *rural*, but the communities in the Birmingham metro area where this service is offered are VERY rural, like western Jefferson county and Jasper county such as Oak Grove, Alliance, Oakman, West Jefferson, Parrish, and so forth. And south Shelby county where no broadband is available. I am in one of those situations with my lake house in western Jefferson county where AT&T only has EDGE 2G service, but Verizon has 4G LTE and this is a perfect situation for home fusion.
iFail 5G

iFail 5G to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

I know my road will get plowed with in hours of a snow fall instead of weeks.

That's why I just bought a Subaru
iFail 5G

iFail 5G to chances14

to chances14
said by chances14:

nice rebuttal

pull out the politics card

since when are conservatives the only ones who live in rural areas anyways?

Since the only people living in dense urban area's are drug dealers or Yuppies!
iFail 5G

iFail 5G to sonicmerlin

to sonicmerlin
said by sonicmerlin:

said by iFail 5G:

said by 45612019:

I like how Verizon is deploying this pointless shit instead of continuing to build a real broadband network like FiOS.

You can download more than 10 gigabytes in a month on dial up.

This isn't broadband. This is an abomination.

Clearly you have never lived in a rural area. Here in Birmingham where this is also one of their first markets for home fusion, a lot of rural areas can't even get LANDLINES. So the only option is is satellite which is horrible. This at least I pull down over 50mbit/s constantly.

Ill take the 10GB cap for usable service any day

So wait, you actually have the service and get 50 mbit/s?

Yea, I have had it for a while now and the speeds are great..

www.speedtest.net/android/155332153.png
www.speedtest.net/android/158265176.png

fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
Well then shucks my darn! .. perhaps they should just say screw it and not serve those areas so that people like you won't bitch about it.

So far it doesn't seem that their pricing is far out of line over their other wireless pricing, now, does it? Wait.. it actually seems like this service is a bit better pricing than even their mobile LTE service.

Again.. what's the issue? .. I guess I can see where you're coming from. Punish them for bringing a new technology wireless service to an area with out anything really.. and damn them for charging a price YOU don't agree with.

Do you have a valid argument yet?
fiberguy2

fiberguy2 to chances14

Premium Member

to chances14
And I agree with you.. and I accept that. But the problem is that when they go beyond just a "thought" and try to push it out as a matter of fact.. that's where I will take on the debate.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

It's harder to market a product with cap-free times, maybe?

If I was running a network with relatively low capacity at peak but low off-peak usage, I'd offer some sort of incentive for off-peak usage. Verizon not doing this (just like WildBlue has never done this) is there prerogative. HughesNet is the only major provider to offer a cap-free period in the US.

The reason they're not doing it is because they want to profit heartily off of idiots who don't know what a "cap" is. Provide people with the low latency and high bandwidth required to watch videos, and watch the overage profits pour in. They won't even considering just throttling users instead of overcharging them.

Off-peak hours makes perfect sense only if you don't care about maximizing profits at the expense of your customers. Throttling only on congested hours while offering unlimited is also quite possible, especially in these very sparsely populated rural areas.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to chances14

to chances14
said by chances14:

said by 45612019:

Five times? Try 500 times.

If you believe Verizon is paying anything more than an average of 2 cents/gig for Internet traffic then you've been brainwashed.

can you give real, cold hard solid evidence to back that up that it only costs 2 cents a gig to deliver internet traffic or are you just doing what Karl does and guessing and making assumptions

This is from 2010: »www.dslprime.com/a-wirel ··· gigabyte
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to iFail 5G

to iFail 5G
said by iFail 5G:

Yea, I have had it for a while now and the speeds are great..

www.speedtest.net/android/155332153.png
www.speedtest.net/android/158265176.png

Jeez. That is cruddy fast. I hope Sprint comes in one day and offers their own unlimited LTE cantenna service.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to iFail 5G

to iFail 5G
said by iFail 5G:

said by sonicmerlin:

said by iFail 5G:

Its a deal breaker for me not being able to take my boats out anytime I want, being able to ride my ATV wherever the hell I want, and depending on the gov. for every single thing. If the city water supply gets contaminated which has happened before, I still have sanitary, clean, well water.

You realize your lifestyle is subsidized by federal tax money taken from the cities? Rural states are like black holes when it comes to tax money. Their economies feed on the trough of the military industrial complex and give nothing in return.

Oh well, I make up for it with my income and my house in the city. My lifestyle out there is fantastic, especially the part about my redneck neighbor's with brand new Escalades and Silverado HD's that get 12MPG, and my Malibu boat that gets more of 5MPG. My blackhole of a community is very nice.

Yes... I know it is. But none of it would be possible without the cross subsidies that mostly blue states end up paying for rural states. The only exception is Texas. It's the only red state that actually provides more money in federal taxes to the government than it receives. IIRC California loses the most tax money to the government of all US states.
listonr12
join:2005-10-05
Terre Haute, IN

listonr12

HomeFusion site

Apparently the antenna is connected to the router with a MoCA connection. Weird.

»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· sion.jsp
maddy777
join:2011-05-03
Hinsdale, IL

maddy777 to clarknova156

to clarknova156

Re: How totally overpriced and sad.

Using my Clear service, avg 10mb down/1Mb up, avg 50GB month runs me $45.

If I had to switch to Verizon = $320 month.

rhit student
@bhn.net

rhit student

Anon

Doubled?

The press release says that the caps will be increased by 50%. So the 10GB plan will be 15GB, the 20GB will be 30GB, etc. "Doubled" would have been a 100% increase, not 50%.

JIMJOHN76
@96.63.68.x

JIMJOHN76 to OSUGoose

Anon

to OSUGoose

Re: Asurion?

Asurion is also owns NEW, who has a national installation network. Asurion insures as well as purchases & manages all logistics for the 4G wireless equipment, integrating with the installer network in real time.
JIMJOHN76

JIMJOHN76 to Jim_in_VA

Anon

to Jim_in_VA
The Cantenna needs to be in a good signal area and installed on the outside of the home in the optimal spot.

PONYBOYGOLD
@96.63.68.x

PONYBOYGOLD

Anon

It's the size of a 1 gallon paint bucket, not 5

I have it installed and can assure you it's not that big.
Expand your moderator at work

nothnxbai
@spcsdns.net

nothnxbai to Jim_in_VA

Anon

to Jim_in_VA

Re: LOL n-wannah puke !

I did try it. It had its moments, but overall drove me insane. Would I do it again? Not very likely. All those things you said you didn't have to deal with presumably because you are rural don't apply to me either and I'm not rural.

I take that back, it does get hot and sweaty here. But I'm in Florida so that's due to geolocation more than anything else. But when that happens, I can take a 15 second walk to the beach (which fortunately doesn't get crowded - townies tend to stay near the pier area).
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Not for video streaming. Any questions?

The world will not come to an end if you can't watch Netflix HD.

Those who live in fringe areas can still get their DVDs by mail, or order satellite service.
Lamiel
join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI

Lamiel

said by elray:

The world will not come to an end if you can't watch Netflix HD.

Those who live in fringe areas can still get their DVDs by mail, or order satellite service.

And if all the ISPs that served your area changed their plans to match the prices and caps of HomeFusion? Would you accept that without complaint? Obviously, this is an unlikely scenario (for the time being), but for the sake of perspective, perhaps you should entertain the notion for a bit. I grow weary of all this "Rural folk should move to town or stop complaining about internet" stuff. We're not hillbillies sitting on stumps with grass in our teeth. We want the same technology that others enjoy. If we don't sound off about it, we'll never get it. The squeaky hinge...
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to courty3210

to courty3210

Re: specs on the can

Smartphones and dongles are omni-directional, which means they have the potential of tying up a slot/frequency on multiple towers at the same time. Presumably these cans are directional - aimed physically or electronically at a single tower. This reduces the impact on the wireless part of the link which is the part that's limited. By going directional, they can also increase the gain of the signal between the house and the tower. My guess is that they do that passively by the antenna design rather than increasing power. That's why the cans are as large as they are. They can't boost the tower power or the house power as that would cause problems for the mobile users.
DonLibes

join:2003-01-19

DonLibes to UHF

to UHF

Re: "5 gallon paint bucket"?

That's not a real issue. After all, AC and heat pumps are much bigger and uglier and no one blinks an eye at having them nestled right up to a house.
travelguy
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to listonr12

to listonr12

Re: HomeFusion site

said by listonr12:

Apparently the antenna is connected to the router with a MoCA connection. Weird.

»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· sion.jsp

Yes, if you read the user manual, the coax connection is offered in addition to the wired and wireless ethernet connections.

It is interesting, because it suggests that Verizon is serious about doing video over the link as well as broadband. Can't see them impacting the broadband connection to do that, which suggests that they will dedicate additional bandwidth when the video is being used.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to DonLibes

Premium Member

to DonLibes

But those are on the ground. This thing is most likely be raised up in the air.

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2

It does, of course! It's called the price of doing business. Making a profit? No that's not a crime. Profeteering however is. and at the cost and even with a markup, if the bandwidth cost and all those mentioned merited SOME markup it certainly shouldn't be from 10 cents to 10$! that's just ludicrous,

Just because someone CAN make that much a profit doesn't mean they SHOULD.

I can charge 100000000 to optimize a PC, but that doesn't mean I'll get it. Healthy competition keeps pries down, but companies like verizon etc don't want that to happen, instead those profit dollars are spent on big "donations" on senators/congressman to make sure they get their way. Hire more lobyists, and kill teh american economy. You want to blame folks for that? Blame moneygrubbing people who just think of the all mighty dolla.
DonLibes

join:2003-01-19

DonLibes to Duramax08

to Duramax08

In the air? You mean like a dish? For a time, dishes were considered so ugly and offensive that many communities banned them altogether (or tried anyhow) but most people came round, gave in, and now view them almost as a proud scar, kind of a badge of honor - and the bigger the better. Before that, TV antennas went through the same thing.

A 5-gallon can seems no worse.
travelguy
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to GroovyPhoenx

to GroovyPhoenx

said by GroovyPhoenx:

It does, of course! It's called the price of doing business. Making a profit? No that's not a crime. Profeteering however is. and at the cost and even with a markup,

Really? Please cite the law that states that "profeteering", whatever that is, is illegal. Aside from a few state and local laws regarding pricing during or immediately after an emergency, I'm not aware of any.
said by GroovyPhoenx:

Just because someone CAN make that much a profit doesn't mean they SHOULD.

I think you might want to take a basic refresher course in economics. Just because someone can make a profit means they absolutely should. Those profits are turned around and spent on other products and services, which in turn puts other people to work and allows those business owners to make a profit.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next