spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-28 16:25:02: After we'd scooped early details on the project in 2010, Verizon earlier this month officially unveiled their new "HomeFusion" fixed residential LTE service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

"5 gallon paint bucket"?

Holy shit, thats quite large to have on the side of your house or roof.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24

Re: "5 gallon paint bucket"?

I was going to say the same thing!
DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
join:2003-01-19

That's not a real issue. After all, AC and heat pumps are much bigger and uglier and no one blinks an eye at having them nestled right up to a house.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX

But those are on the ground. This thing is most likely be raised up in the air.
DonLibes
Premium,ExMod 2001
join:2003-01-19

In the air? You mean like a dish? For a time, dishes were considered so ugly and offensive that many communities banned them altogether (or tried anyhow) but most people came round, gave in, and now view them almost as a proud scar, kind of a badge of honor - and the bigger the better. Before that, TV antennas went through the same thing.

A 5-gallon can seems no worse.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX

A dish isnt even near 5 gallons though. Theyre nice and slim. This thing is suppose to be a 5 gallon bucket but hey, if you dont have access to anything else, you would put anything on your roof for some fast, capped and expensive service.

celluser

@verizon.net

you would think with todays modern technologies... they could develop and antenna that is MUCH smaller.... I've seen sat antennas for many purposes, wireless modules, etc. that have a much smaller profile... why on earth do they need an antenna anywhere near this size for this application? They don't get the cell signal from the MOON!

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX

Unless these antennas are going to act like repeaters? Just throwing the idea out there.
travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
said by celluser :

why on earth do they need an antenna anywhere near this size for this application? They don't get the cell signal from the MOON!

It's not just distance, it's also signal strength. Cell phones are intentionally low power so they can reuse frequencies in adjacent cells. Crank the power up and you reduce the capacity of the system. Since this system piggybacks on the existing cell towers, they can't change anything. The larger antenna allows for less error correction and it's directional, so it only uses the tower its aimed at.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

Makes sense to have an outside directional antenna, if this thing is supposed to provide internet for a whole house, and many users may be on the outskirts. If I was stuck with dial-up this wouldn't be an issue for me, the caps however would be.
rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House Net..
said by Duramax08:

Holy s**t, thats quite large to have on the side of your house or roof.

It's where you can stash all the dollars you'll need for paying those huge overage bills.
tom thomas

join:2010-11-04
said by Duramax08:

Holy shit, thats quite large to have on the side of your house or roof.

i wonder if it actually an advertising/marketing gimmick.

people will see these giant paint bucket and wonder what they are.

celluser

@verizon.net
NO THANKS VERIZON and you need to make the prices competitive as well!

VZWdirect

@zoominternet.net

For the fastest internet out there thats pretty fair...and 5 gallon paint bucket?? its only 10" high its not big at all...u idiots need to get your info straight before you start talking...btw this is coming from a verizon employee, i have about 10 pages of info in this...so maybe re look up your stuff there...

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

get em hooked

like any good dealer the first hit is free or well less any way
get people used to a higher data cap and by the time the forget what the cap is theyll be going over it
GG Verizon

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

I like how Verizon is deploying this pointless shit instead of continuing to build a real broadband network like FiOS.

You can download more than 10 gigabytes in a month on dial up.

This isn't broadband. This is an abomination.
iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03

1 recommendation

Re: A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

said by 45612019:

I like how Verizon is deploying this pointless shit instead of continuing to build a real broadband network like FiOS.

Clearly you have never lived in a rural area. Here in Birmingham where this is also one of their first markets for home fusion, a lot of rural areas can't even get LANDLINES. So the only option is is satellite which is horrible. This at least I pull down over 50mbit/s constantly.

Ill take the 10GB cap for usable service any day
mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC

I know some peeps that gotta use their phone for home broadband access. They would love to have this even with the caps. Tho 12mbit will eat up 10gb in no time streaming.
iFail 5G

said by mythology:

I know some peeps that gotta use their phone for home broadband access. They would love to have this even with the caps. Tho 12mbit will eat up 10gb in no time streaming.

With satellite I was never even able to hit 6 gig's in a month because its been so poor. So I can gladly watch my usage for 10GB and usable service lol. I have Charter 100mbit/s at my city house so I am spoiled there and use about 200GB a month streaming and other stuff. But to a lot of these people without options this is a dream! I know so many people right now with regular Verizon 3G data cards that pay $60 for 5GB, so to have stable LTE service and 5 extra gigs this is amazing.
rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House Net..

1 recommendation

said by iFail 5G:

With satellite I was never even able to hit 6 gig's in a month because its been so poor. So I can gladly watch my usage for 10GB and usable service lol.

So it's no mystery why VZ is deploying this in rural areas first.

Where else in the country can they charge high dollars for low caps, and get no push-back from users? Answer-- in areas where people are desperate for ANYTHING useable.

In the desert, you can charge any price for water.....
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

And the problem with providing service that's better than the competition in an area that's underserved is...?
rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House Net..

said by iansltx:

And the problem with providing service that's better than the competition in an area that's underserved is...?

You missed the point, which is, they chose areas where they can do the most price gouging with the least amount of push-back. And there will be little push-back because rural areas are desperate. Desperate for anything, even if the price is obscene.

Like I said, in the desert you can charge any price for water.
fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

said by rebus9:

said by iansltx:

You missed the point, which is, they chose areas where they can do the most price gouging with the least amount of push-back. And there will be little push-back because rural areas are desperate. Desperate for anything, even if the price is obscene.

Like I said, in the desert you can charge any price for water.

He didn't miss the point at all... you did.

You're entire premise as to why is completely wrong.. and rather just whining. If this service had been deployed in an affluent area they'd be charged with cherry-picking.

The service is designed for rural areas with little options. I'm sorry their rationality on this doesn't suit your personal agenda. You need to get real.

This argument you make reminds me of accountants.. they master the art of taking any thing and making it be what you want.. just like this argument.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC

While the system may be designed for rural areas, the fact that it creates a broadband monopoly in those area (which allows artificially high pricing) is indisputable.
talos4

join:2002-01-30
Manassas, VA

Presuming satellite would be available to most as well, it would be another duopoly. If no satellite, then i agree they will be a monopoly for the time being. In theory, the first to market with any new service would be a monopoly. Those areas will have some competition if AT&T or another wireless service provider deploys a similar product.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC

Yes, true... I forgot about satellite. So they will have some limiting factor in their pricing. I bet that the overhead for satellite (no pun intended) is much higher than for fixed LTE and that Verizon will be able to profit accordingly.
fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium

Well then shucks my darn! .. perhaps they should just say screw it and not serve those areas so that people like you won't bitch about it.

So far it doesn't seem that their pricing is far out of line over their other wireless pricing, now, does it? Wait.. it actually seems like this service is a bit better pricing than even their mobile LTE service.

Again.. what's the issue? .. I guess I can see where you're coming from. Punish them for bringing a new technology wireless service to an area with out anything really.. and damn them for charging a price YOU don't agree with.

Do you have a valid argument yet?
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
So VZ is damned if they do, damned if they don't?

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by mythology:

Then don't do streaming. The users of this will just be happy to have fast web browsing and software updates and ability to upload some occasional pics to relatives.
--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/2012-election/

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium

1 recommendation

said by mythology:

Then don't stream..
Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
said by iFail 5G:

That doesn't make it any less of a joke though.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
It's funny. There's rural, and then their is RURAL.

My sister lives in Whitam, MD. Lower Eastern shore MD between Tillghman Island & St. Michael's. They're pretty much in the middle of nowhere but they have cable & Cable Internet.

From where I sit (outer suburbs of Philadelphia) they live in a pretty rural area.

Then I paid a visit to my friend's house up in the Poconos. Him & his wife plan on moving up these some time next year. Talk about RURAL. They can get a phone, but not much else. His wife works from home, and I can definitely see them ending up with something like this.

As far as the can being the size of a five gallon paint can, I was a bit taken aback by that, but then again, I bet you can put it in your attic...
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power
iFail 5G

said by N3OGH:

It's funny. There's rural, and then their is RURAL.

My sister lives in Whitam, MD. Lower Eastern shore MD between Tillghman Island & St. Michael's. They're pretty much in the middle of nowhere but they have cable & Cable Internet.

From where I sit (outer suburbs of Philadelphia) they live in a pretty rural area.

Then I paid a visit to my friend's house up in the Poconos. Him & his wife plan on moving up these some time next year. Talk about RURAL. They can get a phone, but not much else. His wife works from home, and I can definitely see them ending up with something like this.

As far as the can being the size of a five gallon paint can, I was a bit taken aback by that, but then again, I bet you can put it in your attic...

I know what you mean, Alabama has some RURAL area's like my lake house. It's a beautiful new community with brand new lake front home's, but we can't even get running city water. We have a reverse osmosis filtered well system, septic tank, a road we had to fork out a whole bunch to pave, and pay almost $6000 to run electricity to.

The paint bucket is the least of my worries Look's a lot nicer than the crappy huge dish on my house for internet now.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

Where I live used to be rural. I can see center city Philadelphia from my back deck yet I still have a well & a septic tank.

My well is 700ft deep (no bullshit). So, the water is a little hard, but I just run it through a Zero Water pitcher and it's awesome...
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

New York, NY
You're right. I haven't.

I have never seen the sense in moving into a good house if it has piss-poor communications infrastructure and is far away enough from a city that you are completely isolated from society. That is no way to live.

No matter how nice the house is, having no communications and no access to a city water supply is a deal breaker. There's plenty of nice houses to be found which have these things.

•••••••••••••••
sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
said by iFail 5G:

said by 45612019:

Clearly you have never lived in a rural area. Here in Birmingham where this is also one of their first markets for home fusion, a lot of rural areas can't even get LANDLINES. So the only option is is satellite which is horrible. This at least I pull down over 50mbit/s constantly.

So wait, you actually have the service and get 50 mbit/s?

•••

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL
Why do people consider Birmingham "rural"? I mean its a city of at 200K+ people (i know thats not large but still sizable). Or are they referring to the surrounding area?
iFail 5G

said by shortyd999:

Why do people consider Birmingham "rural"? I mean its a city of at 200K+ people (i know thats not large but still sizable). Or are they referring to the surrounding area?

The city of Birmingham isn't really *rural*, but the communities in the Birmingham metro area where this service is offered are VERY rural, like western Jefferson county and Jasper county such as Oak Grove, Alliance, Oakman, West Jefferson, Parrish, and so forth. And south Shelby county where no broadband is available. I am in one of those situations with my lake house in western Jefferson county where AT&T only has EDGE 2G service, but Verizon has 4G LTE and this is a perfect situation for home fusion.

VZWdirect

@zoominternet.net
theres not a 10GB cap, it ranges from 10-30...and even if you go over on that its on $10/GB after that
chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

1 recommendation

said by 45612019:

i am so sick of that straw man argument. in theory you could download 10 gigs with dial up but you would have to download continuously for days on end to reach 10gb and that is if your dial up connection doesn't randomly disconnect on you

you have definitely never lived in a rural area. this is going to be a godsend for people whose only option is dial up or satellite
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
I'll take the burbs over middle of nowhere and crappy wireless broadband.

Middle of nowhere might be a nice place for a vacation, but forget living there. here in the burbs I have fast internet and I know my road will get plowed with in hours of a snow fall instead of weeks.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

New York, NY

This. The burbs exist for a reason. Gives you some civilization without having people stacked on top of you.
iFail 5G

said by Kearnstd:

I know my road will get plowed with in hours of a snow fall instead of weeks.

That's why I just bought a Subaru

sonataq14

@pacbell.net
FIOS is a land based service where you have a cable coming to your house from the street. This service is entirely wirelessly connected to the network. You're not comparing apples to apples when you mention FIOS. However, I do agree with the posts about the costs of this. Verizon offers their home phone (connect) service for $20/monthly for unlimited use. It's also connected in the home, wirelessly, just like this Home Fusion product, using the Verizon network.
en103

join:2011-05-02

who wouldn't...

Something somewhat similar was offered in Canada under 'look.ca' for years as a wireless TV / ISP. Bell considered it competition and bought it, then shut it down.

moddestmike

join:2009-01-26
Houston, TX

Oil\Gas rigs are cheering for this.

We are currently entertainig this as an option to our vsat setups for our rigs in the various plays. While the caps are small, I'm sure Verizon would be more than willing to work something out for business users.

Rain\Cloud fade have been a pain in our asses for as long as I've been working in this field.

LTE is a godsend in this case, but a joke for residential use.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Whoa...

Well, this is great news for Dialup users... I mean, snappy.
As long as they think they still have dialup (caps...). Still cheaper than Dish (networking) and no latency. Sign me and my cabin up! (get 5 bars up in the Adirondack with VZW so...)

but....

Lemme see, Windows 7 updates monthly (as long as no service pack at 1GIG is involved), AV updates, patches, program updates (and don't for get App downloads)... and that is just ONE PC, not the other laptop, the Xbox (average 700Meg d/l per DLC, demos...) ...

So, anyone care to post just exactly how much bandwidth:
-does a Netflix movie/show stream use
-does an xbox Mulitplayer game session use (2 hours average)
-does an xbox monthly use consume (gaming, not Video apps)
-does an Windows 7 computer consume (updates, patches, programs, AV, email, web browsing, uploads to eBay...)
-appliance use (HDTV, firmware, apps, Roku...)

BTW, Verizon (I HIGHLY suspect) has done the metrics on data use (we gave them it) and just like cellphone data use (some never use more than 450 mins but never less than 390min so we'll make lowest charge 400min with 750min the next minutes bucket) they know where to "show me da money".
Like a crack dealer, give them more at first to hook'em then throw a premium when they DO go over (and by 1/6 what they would be allocated).
--
Splat
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

Re: Whoa...

Netflix is in the 500MB to 1GB range for a show I think. Haven't paid much attention since my cap here is 250GB.

As for multiplayer gaming, 64 kbps is a good, high number as an estimate for data usage while gaming. Patches etc. chew up more bandwidth, however gaming itself uses next to nothing.

As for computer updates, averaging things out, I'd put monthly usage at around 500MB for patches etc. For appliances, the number is probably closer to 100MB, if that.

For all the whining everyone does about low caps, let me give you a scenario. Three members of my immediate family (dad, mom, littlest brother) share a 1.5/384 DSL connection. E-mail, web, some YouTube, a movie on Netflix once every week or two (standard-def), some internet radio, a fair amount of online gaming (Flash or full-on multiplayer). Three Windows computers, plus a smartphone. Every couple of weekends my other brother comes home, with his laptop and smartphone. He adds to the YouTubing, gaming and update-downloading. Every month or two I come home for a few days, and add my own update downloading, YouTubing, heavy web surfing, Pandora, online gaming and file-shuttling (in addition to photo uploading that my mom does), on a smartphone, a laptop or two and a tablet.

Total usage? Last I checked, under 25GB, despite the fact that we don't make it a point to watch our bandwidth usage, because the connection is unlimited, on the data transfer front anyway.

The nice thing about being in a rural area is there are other things to do than consume content online.

Don't get me wrong. If you beat the heck out of an internet connection, you can certainly make it above 25GB in a month. Case in point: my Comcast usage numbers (I upgraded from 25/4 to 50/15 this month):

December: 143GB
January: 252GB
February: 246GB
March: 271GB (and counting)

But that's due to using the connection for every possible use case (work or not), on the following device set:

Smartphones/iPod touches - ~7
Tablets - 2
Gaming consoles - 3
Computers - 8+

I blame Netflix for 75 of those gigabytes...and I wasn't even watching the Netflix'd content part of the time
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
said by cableties:

Lemme see, Windows 7 updates monthly (as long as no service pack at 1GIG is involved), AV updates, patches, program updates (and don't for get App downloads)... and that is just ONE PC, not the other laptop

Out of curiosity, if it's just a cabin in the Adirondacks why don't you perform those updates at home on your fixed landline before you travel there? Maybe you don't want to move the desktop every time you go but this is certainly would work for the laptop.

There are options for the desktop too. Service Packs can be downloaded as standalone files outside of Windows Update. It would be trivial to take them up on a thumb drive.

As far as Netflix/Roku goes, I don't think anybody is claiming that LTE is a replacement for a fixed landline. Personally I don't understand the outrage around these parts with regards to caps and streaming video services. Wireless networks were not designed or intended to replace purpose designed video delivery systems.
biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Caps should be doubled.

I'll continue to use my capless Verizon LTE mobile hotspot thank you.
sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

Re: Caps should be doubled.

said by biochemistry:

I'll continue to use my capless Verizon LTE mobile hotspot thank you.

Wait how did you get a capless mobile hotspot? I got a capless smartphone plan but no hotspot. Care to pm me your trick?
Eek2121

join:2002-10-12
Newton, NJ

Ordering it...

How do you order it? I don't see anything on their site...

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

And the price per GB over will increase

since....hey, who will stop them?
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

Re: And the price per GB over will increase

Competition. ViaSat Exede charges $8 per GB (or throttles once you hit your cap). HughesNet will be charging less per GB as well once Gen4 comes out.

Seriously, has anyone increased their overage penalties per GB on wireless internet, once they've instituted caps in the first place?

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Asurion?

To my knoledge they only Insured the stuff, since when do they install it?

Why not farm this out to those of us in the Sat Install Biz, since you know we have experience in installing big attennas outdoors. I can allready see this getting added as a bundling with DirecTV just like we were with DirecWAY now HugesNet.

•••

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

Better than dialup...

...but not much else.
iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

Double caps are nice...

...but if Verizon wants to go after DSL and sat customers in the region full-throttle, they should keep the doubled data in place, and reduce overage penalties to $3 per GB or so (remember, spectrum is limited). 20GB of data for $60 is honestly not that bad, when you consider the profile of the pople likely to sig up for the service. As long as you aren't streaming video an hour-plus per day 20GB works just fine.
mlcarson

join:2001-09-20
Los Alamos, NM

Twice nothing is still nothing

So, it'll be $960 per month for the same thing DSL or Cable Modems offer for 5-10% of that cost.

Those caps are just way too small. Once you get over about 1.5Mbps, the speed isn't doing you much good except on large files and if you can't download large amounts of data, what good is it?
MrRuckus

join:2004-01-30
Portland, OR

Re: Twice nothing is still nothing

said by mlcarson:

So, it'll be $960 per month for the same thing DSL or Cable Modems offer for 5-10% of that cost.

Look at the subscribers per square mile. In the city, sure you can make back your investment fairly quickly since you have so many people using it.

Out in the sticks, not so much. I work for a 100 year old local phone company. We offer DSL because the copper has been out there for 50 years. Other outfits wont come into our area because the number of subscribers per square mile can not justify the cost of the equipment to offer their service. While the locals would love competition, its just not feasible.
tom thomas

join:2010-11-04

why penalize heavy users if metered?

the plan upgrades charge $3 per gig. why not let people on the 30 gig plan pay $3 for each additional gig. verizon may actually get some people to pay some serious money for heavy usage, but at $10 people will be scared to go over the limit.
MTU
Premium
join:2005-02-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

VZW

To the profligate experts: What percentage of the VZW infrastructure is subsidized by tax write-offs and subsidies?

What percentage of VZW's promised buildout has actually been achieved?

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it

join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

LOL n-wannah puke !

They are absolutely "nuts" ..!

I think rural customers will stick with Sat-TV and if it were me, get the basic service cap for $60/mo. It's a big jump from dial-up and much better than landline DSL.

But for overall broadband .. no way .. !
Streaming video and music are out with this service !
--
Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy but they become legend.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

Re: LOL n-wannah puke !

Dish works for me TV wise. My local Wisp that I'm getting a 5/2 connection works great too. And yes, I'm rural. No problems here, and I get the freedom of NOT living in a smelly, crime driven, noisy, crowded, hot, sweaty, concrete and asphalt boiling pot city.

Yeah, I like living "rural". Try it ... you'll like it.

--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

nothnxbai

@spcsdns.net

Re: LOL n-wannah puke !

I did try it. It had its moments, but overall drove me insane. Would I do it again? Not very likely. All those things you said you didn't have to deal with presumably because you are rural don't apply to me either and I'm not rural.

I take that back, it does get hot and sweaty here. But I'm in Florida so that's due to geolocation more than anything else. But when that happens, I can take a 15 second walk to the beach (which fortunately doesn't get crowded - townies tend to stay near the pier area).

Bell System
Premium
join:2005-12-04
Strongsville, OH

Double the bandwidth?

Seems the article you linked to says they get 50% extra not 100% extra.
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Pointless

If you are one of the few who can't get anything at home, better to buy someone else's unlimited contract and use MHS.
courty3210

join:2004-03-29
Wilmington, DE

specs of the can

does this 5 gallon bucket really boost signal or something? i'd like to see the specs on it.
courty3210

join:2004-03-29
Wilmington, DE

specs on the can

so what does this can do exactly....signal boost? if so how much, anyone have the specs on this bad boy?
travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

Re: specs on the can

Smartphones and dongles are omni-directional, which means they have the potential of tying up a slot/frequency on multiple towers at the same time. Presumably these cans are directional - aimed physically or electronically at a single tower. This reduces the impact on the wireless part of the link which is the part that's limited. By going directional, they can also increase the gain of the signal between the house and the tower. My guess is that they do that passively by the antenna design rather than increasing power. That's why the cans are as large as they are. They can't boost the tower power or the house power as that would cause problems for the mobile users.