spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-28 16:25:02: After we'd scooped early details on the project in 2010, Verizon earlier this month officially unveiled their new "HomeFusion" fixed residential LTE service. ..

prev page · 1 · 2
clarknova156

join:2011-06-04
Poughkeepsie, NY

How totally overpriced and sad.

For $120 a month I get 155 Mbps down and 65 Mbps up via FiOS plus unlimited bandwidth.

And Verizon thinks its on the cutting edge offering 30Gb's a month for $120?

What a fucking joke.
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

Re: How totally overpriced and sad.

Is FiOS available in the markets that this service is being offered? What other options exist in these markets?
maddy777

join:2011-05-03
Hinsdale, IL
Using my Clear service, avg 10mb down/1Mb up, avg 50GB month runs me $45.

If I had to switch to Verizon = $320 month.
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

Re: How totally overpriced and sad.

I don't think Verizon is concerned about Clear, or your patronage.
In time, their bucket size will grow, prices will drop, and Clear will congest. In the short term, the satellite people will convert.
listonr12

join:2005-10-05
Terre Haute, IN

HomeFusion site

Apparently the antenna is connected to the router with a MoCA connection. Weird.

»www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/spla···sion.jsp
travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

Re: HomeFusion site

said by listonr12:

Apparently the antenna is connected to the router with a MoCA connection. Weird.

»www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/spla···sion.jsp

Yes, if you read the user manual, the coax connection is offered in addition to the wired and wireless ethernet connections.

It is interesting, because it suggests that Verizon is serious about doing video over the link as well as broadband. Can't see them impacting the broadband connection to do that, which suggests that they will dedicate additional bandwidth when the video is being used.

rhit student

@bhn.net

Doubled?

The press release says that the caps will be increased by 50%. So the 10GB plan will be 15GB, the 20GB will be 30GB, etc. "Doubled" would have been a 100% increase, not 50%.

PONYBOYGOLD

@96.63.68.x

It's the size of a 1 gallon paint bucket, not 5

I have it installed and can assure you it's not that big.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..

Re: It's the size of a 1 gallon paint bucket, not 5

Its the same size as a SKYPILOT repeater. Not sure where they came up with the 5 gallon thing. Where did they install it,a nd how high up?

said by PONYBOYGOLD :

I have it installed and can assure you it's not that big.

drivebypost

@verizon.net
You're right. The unit weighs 4 pounds, is 10" tall and 8" in diameter.
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

Not for video streaming. Any questions?

The world will not come to an end if you can't watch Netflix HD.

Those who live in fringe areas can still get their DVDs by mail, or order satellite service.
Lamiel

join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI

Re: Not for video streaming. Any questions?

said by elray:

The world will not come to an end if you can't watch Netflix HD.

Those who live in fringe areas can still get their DVDs by mail, or order satellite service.

And if all the ISPs that served your area changed their plans to match the prices and caps of HomeFusion? Would you accept that without complaint? Obviously, this is an unlikely scenario (for the time being), but for the sake of perspective, perhaps you should entertain the notion for a bit. I grow weary of all this "Rural folk should move to town or stop complaining about internet" stuff. We're not hillbillies sitting on stumps with grass in our teeth. We want the same technology that others enjoy. If we don't sound off about it, we'll never get it. The squeaky hinge...
--
Core2Quad Q9450 @ 3.4GHz, XFX 780i SLI mobo, MSI GTX 560 OC, 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2-1066, Samsung 20x optical, Samsung F3 1TB HDD, Antec TP3 650 watt PSU, CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case, Win7 Home Premium 64 bit...
tom thomas

join:2010-11-04

SIM cards?

does anyone know if this uses SIM cards?

i know verizon has some any device conditions on this spectrum block.

i am very curious SIM cards could be swapped between this hardware and verizon LTE cell phones.

rma153

@clearwire-wmx.net

my clearwire hotspot has no data cap

Clearwire hotspots have no data cap, and I get 7Mbps DS which is good for Netflix. I dumped my Sprint hotspot because Sprint's hotspots are capped.
Ripperjack

join:2012-01-12
Fredericksburg, TX

I don't care how good it is!

Since I can't get ANY 4G signal, where I am in Hill Country Texas, this is all but USELESS for me!

rma153

@clearwire-wmx.net

Re: I don't care how good it is!

Yeah, my point is that the carriers don't have to cap. As clearwire puts in more towers and expands LTE coverage further out, Verizon may have to reconsider there cap.

Fiber to rural will never be completed because the Tier 3 carriers are all facing RUS subsidies being killed by Congress soon. So, LTE is the only solution (much better ROI). Verizon's HomeFusion won't be the only LTE game in town for rural in the future. The clearwires of the world will compete with no caps.
jmr50

join:2000-05-14
New York, NY

Remember, this isn't replacing DSL/Cable

Anyone complaining the caps are low or the prices are high are missing the point -- this isn't competing with DSL or Cable. This is getting deployed where none of that exists. This competes favorable against HughesNet ($100/month for 450MB a month at 2Mbps down).

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..

Re: Remember, this isn't replacing DSL/Cable

Not necessarily true. I'm in the Nashville market which one of the first one's launched. lots of cable and dsl choices in this market. comcast, charter, at&t, independent phone companies.
However, it will appeal to very rural areas outside of the metro area that have verizon towers out in the middle of nowhere in cow pastures.....

said by jmr50:

Anyone complaining the caps are low or the prices are high are missing the point -- this isn't competing with DSL or Cable. This is getting deployed where none of that exists. This competes favorable against HughesNet ($100/month for 450MB a month at 2Mbps down).

ronkazrv

@myvzw.com

Cantenna

Search on "Canteens" to get cause of the actual size of the can. Its actually about the size of a one gallon paint can. It wax tested in Pennsylvania back in2010.

jzey23

@tamu.edu

Rural internet

It's a complete joke when compared to actual ISPs, but if your only broadband option is satellite, this one is a no brainer.

joilverizon

@199.96.178.x

wow

Way too expensive, and way too involved for me. I'm not paying a 200.00 start up fee to have that on my roof. I also don't like the bandwidth caps. Verizon should be the first to do it "No bandwidth caps" . Imagine.
tonyrony

join:2005-05-13
Stafford, VA

Not Five Gallons

Click for full size
While I very much appreciate the DSL Reports article, I'm confident the size of the Verizon Fusion receiver is not the size of a five-gallon paint bucket. As I'm looking at this YouTube video (

youtu.be/BPxwkOH9A0I
), compare the size of the receiver relative to the fellow holding it.

At half the width of his chest, by my estimates, the diameter of the receiver is probably not wider than eight inches, which would make it about the size of a one-gallon or five-quart cylinder. And the second photo shows his hand is roughly half the receiver's diameter. So, just place your two fists together side-by-side, and you'd see the diameter is probably about seven inches.

What do you think? The article is greatly appreciated, though.