spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-03-30 12:23:47: Over the years we've seen countless ISPs take heat for pushing disaster victims a little too hard, when the victims very last thoughts are on the replacement costs of a DVR. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

Not that big of a deal

I keep my cabin up north on vacation mode. Its like $20 bucks a month, and you get to avoid the installation hubub.

I mean, if people want to keep their phone numbers available, i dont really see a way around it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

4 recommendations

Not your primary residence and it has not been destroyed. Have some perspective will you?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

bad PR

how stupid, so much bad publicity for revenue of a few Thousand dollars.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to baineschile

Re: Not that big of a deal

$20 a MONTH to keep your existing service in a "suspended" state (ie: where it is all but COMPLETELY shut off) is RIDICULOUS!

DirecTV charges you - ZERO/month, & you can keep it suspended for up to 6 months.
DISH charges you - $5/month (not sure how long you can keep it suspended)

Both services allow you keep ALL your existing leased receivers in place during this time.
Neither one charges a fee to "un-suspend", either...

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life

join:2001-09-01
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Compassion Surcharge

Yeah, don't joke about that, it will probably be added in the next biannual rate rape.

Seriously, how is the 'vacation mode' any better than demanding the replacement cost upfront?? You still don't have the cable box to return, so they probably can't even cancel the service without paying for the box, or not paying and having their credit ruined....
--
Follow Your Bliss -- Joseph Cambell
I reject your Reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbuster

mdlund0

join:2011-08-02
Lawrence, KS

Insurance?

Shouldn't this be something that homeowner's/renter's insurance covers? If an item you're borrowing/renting is destroyed while it's in your possession, be it a car, grill, TV, couch, cable box, etc., you are liable for the cost of repairing/replacing it, per the terms of the borrowing agreement. Plain and simple. Write the check to the cable company when you get the check from the insurance company. Buy insurance... what's the problem again?

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

1 recommendation

Time to tell Press to take a hike

I wish ISP would tell press yes we are going to charge them for our equipment as state in the contract. You can report it on this story as you like but it will not get us to back up. If business started doing this press would just shut up.

caseywor

join:2004-04-19
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Charter
·Mediacom

Not a surprise

This is no surprise coming from the same company that billed a lady in Galveston $931 for lost equipment after Hurricane Ike:

»abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti···=6460278

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

Can Comcast Provide Service?

I'm guessing the storm wiped out Comcast's ability to deliver service too. Does this fee then start AFTER the homeowner's nearby pedestal / utility pole has been restored? How would a homeowner know since Comcast probably won't run a new drop without a structure on the property and/or if the home is condemned, it won't have electricity.

caseywor

join:2004-04-19
Orlando, FL

1 edit
reply to caseywor

Re: Not a surprise

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to adhering to the letter of a contract or policies most of the time, but in this type of case, have some decency and goodwill.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

2 recommendations

reply to silentlooker

Re: Time to tell Press to take a hike

You are right, truly the press is evil for reporting this. Poor Comcast.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to mdlund0

Re: Insurance?

You have two things here, the equipment and then the fee to "suspend" service to the customer. This is talking more about that monthly fee.

Cjones

@rogers.com

What's the surprise?

A corporation's goal, its only goal, is to make money. Why is it at all surprising that the company should act without compassion? Why is compassion expected? This company is acting exactly like a company must act, after all, a few minutes on the evening news, even if it gets that far, which it wohn't, won't be too much of a problem, given that so many people must, because of their location, either use their cable company or just do without television and high-speed internet. That last option is one which most people won't touch.
My problem is with the people involved in the decision. They are supposed to be compassionate, merely as the price of being human. The problem isn't that a company should act this way, it's that people act this way. If my employer expects me to make trouble for people who have already suffered a disaster, it's time for me to leave and, if need be, starve.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to baineschile

Seriously?

$20/month is roughly the cost of the phone line at my parent's cottage when it IS active.

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

join:2008-03-28

1 recommendation

reply to Cjones

Re: What's the surprise?

Charging $20 to not provide service? Yeah, that's a great business model--money for nothin'.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

2 recommendations

Fine by me....

.....as long as the service is working.

Wait, what do you mean there is no service? I have my temporary trailer and I want my service. Sorry Comcast, what do you mean your lines are down? I am paying for service and your lines are down and you still want me to pay for it? No, I don't want "vacation mode" on my service, I want my service. What do you mean your plant is having problems?

Yeah, Comcast better hope that their infrastructure is working at 100% before asking people to pay for service after a disaster.

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state

Own your own equipment

While I realize that this story is about a stupid 'Vacation Fee' for people who no longer have a place to live it would seem to me that the other issue of these company's charging $200-1k per leased box/modem/etc.. (yes I know in some cases you can buy the modems now) would be a non-issue if they would allow the consumers to own there own equipment, there would not be a need for any of this crap as the person who just lost everything would include it in the home owners insurance claim and just cancel the service from the provider.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
reply to Cjones

said by Cjones :

A corporation's goal, its only goal, is to make money.

Perhaps making money should be the result of the goals that they set, but not the goal itself? Any company that provides a service would be wise to consider their customers. Although, you need legitimate competition for the wheel to go round.

»www.forbes.com/sites/stevedennin···e-money/

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Vacation mode eh?

Kinda like when your house blows up burns down it's like happy festival fireworks, ya?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGk9Ohc3ng8

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04

1 recommendation

reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

I keep my cabin up north on vacation mode. Its like $20 bucks a month, and you get to avoid the installation hubub.

I mean, if people want to keep their phone numbers available, i dont really see a way around it.

And your cabin up north - it was recently destroyed in a natural disaster?

Otherwise - WTF?

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04

1 recommendation

reply to silentlooker

said by silentlooker:

I wish ISP would tell press yes we are going to charge them for our equipment as state in the contract. You can report it on this story as you like but it will not get us to back up. If business started doing this press would just shut up.

Something tells me English is not your first language, comrade. Here in North America, press tells you!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Lost equipment is one thing...

That is what homeowner's insurance is for. It sucks, but the sub is responsible for borrowed or leased equipment. If it was a Hertz rental car in the driveway would they expect Hertz not to come wanting their car back?

Vacation fees is a different matter, especially $15-$20 to do NOTHING. Subs would be better off canceling their service and coming back in 90 days to a bunch of free promos and Comcast would do better by trying to KEEP subscribers rather than giving them a reason to jump ship to DirecTV, Dish or a telco.

Meanwhile I'd have my contractor hit up Comcast for the inside wire maintenance plan Let them reinstall all the RG6.

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to EdmundGerber

said by EdmundGerber:

said by silentlooker:

Something tells me English is not your first language, comrade. Here in North America, press tells you!

Let me rephrase it for you. Any advertisement is a good advertisement. I say fuck PR, tell the news you will not back down and let see what they will do if enough of business follow that line of thinking.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

3 recommendations

Disaster?

That's the $20 Disaster Fee.

We'll be at your smoking crater between 8am and 4pm on Thursday.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Cjones

I don't see this as a compassion issue. It seems that pissing off a customer with a fee is how you permanently lose a subscriber. Plus the bad press would make you lose even more.

You're right, it's about money and it seems damn little money to be gotten for the potential consequences of lost subs and bad PR.

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to flashcore

Re: Own your own equipment

Obviously you have never had to file a claim.

When my mom and dads house burned down due to wild fire (some 1000 homes burned in the "Witch" fire in San Diego CA) it was almost a year to get an initial settlement. And the only reason for that was my dad was near death with cancer so they go put on priority list. Most of the homes 2 years later finally got insurance settlements. There are a couple of random homes that have not received settlements and are half renovated / abandoned because the insurance company dragged there feet so long the families went broke trying to put their lives back together.

Just lumping it on the "home insurance claim" is just showing your ignorance on how the claims system actually works.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

reply to ptrowski

Indeed. Apples to Oranges. The comparison is not even close to being the same.

MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Monterey, CA

My experience

I went with comcast and had a very good experience, told them my balcony which had my DirecTV dish was going to be worked on for 3 months,, after all was said and done my dish is still out there comcast provided great service the time i couldn't have DirecTV, of course YMMV

Cjones

@rogers.com
reply to jmn1207

said by jmn1207 See Profile
Perhaps making money should be the result of the goals that they set, but not the goal itself?[/BQUOTE :

Here, piggy piggy piggy, come over here, I have some lipstick for you...
Seriously, if the action is undertaken to make money, whether that action be radical management, compassionate billing, or delivering 50000 volts to your customers via the fingers, then the goal is to make money. The goal may be pursued in many different ways, some morally better than others, but the goal is to make money in the end. Put it this way. Would any of the companies that use, just to take the example, radical management, or which say that they want to "delight the customer", be doing so if it didn't make money for them, in one way or the other? I would be stunned if they would. That's why the blogger points out that his method makes more money for the company than other methods, if it didn't, he would never be able to sell it. The point is to make as much money as possible. How you get there is up to you.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

Cable Companies Greedy Old Pigs!

In the bad old days, when a business could only lease their telephone equipment from the phone company, if the business was destroyed, the telephone company was more interested in getting the customer temporary service rather than shaking down the customer for the cost of the equipment. In some cases the company wrote off ten's of thousands of dollars of destroyed equipment. The telephone company always stated that they were self insured.