dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-04-02 08:50:34: The New York Times explores how providing data to law enforcement is quite a profitable venture for phone companies, and how a significant number of smaller law enforcement agencies nationwide are following the national government's lead in thinking .. ..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Courts will eventually make procedures clear

Since 2008, the telcos break no laws by providing the info(anti-terror laws gave telcos immunity). And law enforcement agencies and prosecutors fight this in court every day as defendant's lawyers challenge evidence obtained this way. Sooner or later this type of evidence gathering will make its way to the USSC and a decision will make clear what is legal & what isn't. That is the way the system works.
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

nasadude

the United States is no longer a nation of laws and I don't expect this type of behaviour to slow down or lessen and I certainly don't expect the USSC to rule against it; I'll actually be surprised if a case even reaches the USSC.

As for these local agencies, they are just taking their cue from the top, "the most transparent administration ever" TM

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

1 edit

Camaro

Premium Member

said by nasadude:

As for these local agencies, they are just taking their cue from the top, "the most transparent administration ever" TM

Don't know what the political comment was for,both sides are in this boat no one party is to blame they both suck.

As scary as this is which won't change unless god himself came down and put the kibosh on this program and let the courts in on approval process.

Does anyone really think law enforcement will give up this new tool they get use without throwing every resource they have to protect it ?

Anyways the program or whatever you want to call it that is going on right now is the scariest thing I have ever read that we know about publicly is this. »www.nytimes.com/2012/03/ ··· ide.html

Whoops almost forgot this new program which I am sure has the 3 letter agency's drooling all over this.
»www.washingtonpost.com/b ··· log.html
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude

said by Camaro:

Don't know what the political comment was for,both sides are in this boat no one party is to blame they both suck.

oh, I agree with you on both parties suck; the reference to the "most transparent administration ever" is sarcasm; Obama said during campaigning or shortly after being elected that his administration "would be the most transparent ever".

However, the excuse they use to prevent lawsuits on illegal wiretapping is to invoke the state secrets privilege (the "we can't tell you because the terrists would win" defense).

that, plus aggressive prosecution of whistleblowers when something is revealed that is embarrassing, but completely ignoring leakers of information the admin wants to get out.

Obama is worse than Bush when it comes to secrets and lack of transparency.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by nasadude:

Obama is worse than Bush when it comes to secrets and lack of transparency.

The difference is more about knowing the secrets exist. This country spent many years knowing something other than what was the reality of a lot of situations. Today there is a lot that we actually know is going on but we don't know the details of it due to lawyers.

There's probably more power in the DOJ right now than is actually in the whitehouse when ti comes to everyday life things for the population. too many lawyers in the ranks of politicians which means too many politicians with practicing lawyers as allies which means it's easy to pass or maintain laws that keep lawyers in business.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee to nasadude

to nasadude
If I didn't know better, I'd think that Joe Stalin is still alive and well and running the show in Washington. America is gone... it's Amerika now.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI

mix

Good thing you know better.

WiseOldBear
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Litchfield Park, AZ
Motorola MB8600
Synology RT2600ac

1 recommendation

WiseOldBear

Premium Member

Do Your Part

Everyone needs to spend a few minutes a day discussing via cell phone the return of communism via the Obama administration and the re-emergence of the NAZIS as fostered and supported by the Republican party. Throw in some words like jihad, Tea Party Taliban, etc and we have have those pesky government ears just drooling all over themselves. Just do not make any threats or try to intimidate. It is our constitutional prerogative to talk about dolts, idiots and hookers who have been elected to public office.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

united stats of corp empire
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60

What did you expect?

Does anyone seriously expect cops or district attorneys to worry about such silly things as requirements for warrants? They don't worry about it for non-cell tracking anyway. Cops and DAs do what they d*** well please and ignore the law anyway.