dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-04-04 17:45:35: Verizon is apparently traveling back in time -- back to when they stubbornly wouldn't sell customers a standalone DSL line (aka unbundled, naked or dry loop). ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

Re: I got the e-mail today

»Verizon Wants Full Wireless For In-Home FiOS [45] comments

From what I hear, they are testing the equipment as we speak.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL

Re: This is Bob Elek with Verizon.

If they're not advanced enough to have a smartphone, they probably aren't the type of user who would care. If it's really that big of a deal, then offer both.
BiggA

BiggA to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer

They're testing. Whether anything actually works or not is another issue. At that sort of bandwidth, it is unlikely to work.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

Not everyone has need of a smartphone, and it is not acceptable to brand them as "not advanced enough." Some indeed are but, believe it or not, many people still use phones primarily to talk; some only want occasional Internet access on the go. I happen to be one of those folks, and I am certainly not a Luddite or unsophisticated user. I could see a femto as handy when I am home and calls come in on it when I'm at home during peak, but only if it didn't use minutes. VZ, of course, just can't shake the ILEC mindset that a phone is black and hardwired to the wall, and will continue to miss the mark when it comes to understanding they need to be giving consumers what they want at prices they consider acceptable.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by DC DSL:

Not everyone has need of a smartphone, and it is not acceptable to brand them as "not advanced enough." Some indeed are but, believe it or not, many people still use phones primarily to talk; some only want occasional Internet access on the go.

Exactly.

I have over 16,000 posts on this website, and probably 10,000 of them deal with VoIP. My business and my home both use advanced VoIP services.

Yet I do NOT have a smartphone, I have no particular need for a smartphone. In fact, many of the people who do have smartphones are not so smart.

My cell phone is a refurbished Motorola W385 which was dirt cheap. My cellular service costs me about $ 7 a month using the Verizon network through PagePlus. Yes, $ 7 a month which makes me smarter than some of those smartphone users.

It is precisely because I am so heavily into VoIP that I have no use/need/interest in smartphones.
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

I'm just saying that Ooma is the competition, and that's what the telcos have to deal with.

Ooma is a relatively small and relatively stagnant player.

Tens of millions of people have gone with cable company phone services like Comcast Digital Voice, Optimum Voice, etc. A few million more have gone with Vonage. Many businesses use Skype especially for international calling.

Then there are many independent VoIP providers, especially in the business market....Paetec, Vocalocity, 8x8, Junction Networks, CallCentric, many others.

Yes, it's a tough market. And many young people go cellular only for their personal use.

But VoIP is a big factor, and VoIP continues to grow as POTS declines.

cybah
join:2000-03-09
MA

cybah to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: Comcast is the same

I did a cost analysis of Comcast a few years ago for a job...

The cost for basic cable vs the fee they charge if you dont have TV service is the same (I think NOT having TV is a buck more).

They do this not only as a money grab but it saves them $ because a tech doesn't have to come out to your house to put a filter on your line to block out the TV if you ONLY subscribe to internet service.

Its the same way with Phone Service. I have everything they offer and its cheaper for me to KEEP the phone then not to have it. (essentially the phone works out to be free..)
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Texas and Florida Only, according to McAdam's office

I was advised today by the spokeshole in the Executive Response Team that the dry loop cessation applies ONLY in Texas and Florida, and especially not California. Coincidentally, those states are on the leading edge to remove universal service.

PezDSpencer
@verizon.net

PezDSpencer

Anon

Not so sure about that...I live in Maryland and still got the notice.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL

Verizon is a landline company. Cellco partnership is partially owned by them. Smartphones are the way of the present, and the future. By and large, people who actually use their phones have smartphones. Femtocells and Wifi callilng are for coverage at the moment, not capacity offload.

Well, even if the masses haven't figured it out yet, Ooma has set the price for home phone service at $0 plus taxes and fees.

No one I know is going to have a landline after college. They will be 100% cell. Some of them won't have cable, although I suspect they'll be missing that pretty quick.

I think VOIP will ultimately be big for business use, where having a desk phone makes sense, but for home use, land line-replacement VOIP is just a little temporary thing, 100% wireless is the true future. VOIP services like Skype are here to stay, both for international, and for computer to computer.
BiggA

BiggA to cybah

Premium Member

to cybah

Re: Comcast is the same

Yup. Bundling is getting big.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim

AT&T may do this also just to get more customers to drop dsl and landlines. They are doing everything they can to shut down the old DSL system and move the customers to Uverse internet. A friend said they were planning to shut down the POTS switches in 5 years. It may have been on DSLreports I read where AT&T had filled the paperwork with the FCC to shut down the POTS switches sometime in the future. I would guess they will do it by the end of 2020.

AT&T has also stopped their Uverse buildout.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

It's currently regulated, and they would need something to replace it, which doesn't currently exist. So no, the POTS systems won't be shut down anytime soon. I suppose they could shut down DSL, although there are plenty of places that can get DSL but not U-Verse. It would make sense to kill off DSL if they did a 100% FTTH overlay of their copper.

U-Verse is a nightmare, as it is making copper plant maintenance not only conform to a higher standard, but also making it a lot more complicated.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to MovieLover76

Premium Member

to MovieLover76
said by MovieLover76:

FiOS isn't dead in the markets it's offered it's a wonderful service, and I think in those markets verizon is a serious competitor to cable, their network has more potential than cable.

I did not mean it is dead in current markets. It is dead in the sencs of not growing into new markets; possibly the proper word would be "stunted".
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to PezDSpencer

to PezDSpencer

Re: Texas and Florida Only, according to McAdam's office

I can't disagree with your skepticism - there is no reason to trust them. But I would encourage you to make similar inquiry and report back.
JTS33
join:2003-05-03
USA

JTS33

Already started

From 2 months ago, I already couldn't order dry loop DSL online. So this has already started...unless they still allow you to order dry loop DSL over the phone until May.

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314

DSL Extreme

I have Dry Loop DSL, but not with Verizon or AT&T, but with DSL Extreme, so I doubt I'll get any notice, but then I live in California. Verizon Wireless is My Cell Phone provider, they want to go to this LTE(touted as 4G), problem is where I live at, the area is only 3G and I doubt It will be upgraded anytime soon as I live in the High Desert of California. Supposedly DSL Extreme is in both Verizon's and AT&T's footprint, so maybe some could get service through them, I'm paying $32.83 a month for 3M/768K.

And no I don't trust Verizon, as the 2 wires in the CO for My Dry Loop has been flipped more than once during Maintenance resulting in NO IP address until someone fixes that problem...
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

AT&T is Primed for this with recent rate increases

I noticed that my voice services have nearly doubled in the past two years. This puts them in a prime spot to require this for DSL customer's now that their rates are so high even for the most basic service.

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314 to DC DSL

to DC DSL

I also do not have a smart phone, My cell phone is a Samsung u540 clamshell phone(think StarTrek Communicator which the phone resembles), it can receive texts and play music or take pics, all those cost extra and I like to just use the phone as a phone, but then the copper landlines in Yermo are really only good for DSL, as that's why I moved to a cell phone, I can actually hear and talk to people now, before on Verizon landlines I couldn't.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next