spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-04-13 17:13:43: Canadian cable operator Cogeco has been on quite the anti-competitive tear the last few years, foisting metered billing on the back of their customers, and applying caps as low as 10GB per month and overages as high as $2. ..

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

What a crock!

So this guy is upset that people are jumping ship because of better deals, even if they're only promotional offers? Well, excuse me! Perhaps he has enough money to pay full retail all the time, but the rest of us have to look for the best deal we can find, and, if another company is willing to offer that, so be it. I'm sorry if that hurts his company's profitability--oh wait, no I'm not. Maybe if these companies would lower their rates a bit, they'd find their customers were a little less likely to leave at the first opportunity.

iamwhatiam

@verizon.net

If they were my only option,

then I'd go without. (Nothing is worth so much as to have to pay for the opportunity to get fleeced in order to have it.)

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

Insulting Your Customers

What a way to earn their undying loyalty!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to ISurfTooMuch

Re: What a crock!

Having to compete is such a hassle. Way better just to monopolize and then you won't have this silly customer revolt stuff.

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL

This is News?

Of course companies prefer customers who will just pay and pay, without caring as much about what they get and whether they believe it's a good value for their dollar.

Perhaps I'm an "undesirable" customer since I'm not willing to toss money at something without regard to what value that product or service will give me.

MysticGuitar

join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Cogeco Cable

Friday the 13th - bad luck, Cogeco!

When you operate a company that focuses primarily on servicing sheep, it's only common for the wolves to look elsewhere.
I've been having problems with my Cogeco internet connection over the past day, with my 'high-speed' internet slowing down to an incredibly slow speed, if Cogeco doesn't change the way they operate, or get their services functional to their advertised value, I may end up cancelling them altogether.

Once I can get a sturdy phone connection, I'll phone their support asap. I'll insist on getting some kind of credit applied to my account.

This has been an extremely unlucky Friday the 13th.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to iamwhatiam

Re: If they were my only option,

said by iamwhatiam :

then I'd go without. (Nothing is worth so much as to have to pay for the opportunity to get fleeced in order to have it.)

Well... 9000 people, and counting, agree.

At first I thought, hell, this is just a bad company that gouges their customers with little or no shame.

Now I understand why.

Their leader is an idiot.

Mike

--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

This story should make its way to more Cogeco customers

One can only hope that news about this conference call will make itself available to more Cogeco customers looking for a deal.

In other news, the CEO of Best Buy made similar boneheaded pronouncements in the 90s and Best Buy is still around today.

But I can dream...
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to Ben

Re: This is News?

said by Ben:

Perhaps I'm an "undesirable" customer since I'm not willing to toss money at something without regard to what value that product or service will give me.

I'm assuming he's referring to customers with bad credit, and I'd have to agree with his statement on that, although it's a bad PR move. When I used to work for Rogers, I never understood why we ran credit checks because we didn't deny anyone unless you have a history of running up bad debt with Rogers itself and then moving to another address and signing up again. The only restrictions we ever placed on customers with bad credit is to deny them home phone and the ability to rent HD equipment. This restrictions were useless anyways, as customers would run up huge bills and abandon them and wait for the statute of limitations to expire.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to MysticGuitar

Re: Friday the 13th - bad luck, Cogeco!

Head over to the Cogeco Forum we have here. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable people that may be able to help you out.

»Cogeco

Their leader, who has a Master's in Economics seems to lack in other areas. This one may bit him later on.
--
I speak 3 languages, english, sarcasm and sexual innuendo.

Nicko

@nlayer.net

Audet the idiot

Audet doesn't get it. Everybody is a savvy customer these days but many don't know about all the choice we have.

Digital free TV from the airwaves, Shaw Direct, Free Phone Line, Dell Voice, Teksavvy phone, Teksavvy DSL, Wind Mobile data plans, Start Communications.

If we have a problem with the ramblings of Audet it's incumbent on us to switch to the alternatives ourselves and let anyone else who would be interested about the alternatives.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to yyzlhr

Re: This is News?

said by yyzlhr :

I'm assuming he's referring to customers with bad credit, and I'd have to agree with his statement on that, although it's a bad PR move.

What Audet has done here is blame the loss of 9000 customers in one quarter on the customers - during a quarterly report conference call with financial analysts no less.

Tightening credit consitions has nothing to do with losing 9000 customers in 1 quarter, and nothing to do with preventing promo-hopping or otherwise competing for customers.

There are 4 possibilities.

1) He is incredibly dim-witted and should NOT be the CEO of Cogeco.

2) He is horribly dishonest and should NOT be the CEO of Cogeco.

3) He is old, tired, bitter, and should NOT be the CEO of Cogeco.

4) He is incredibly dim-witted, horribly dishonest, old, tired, bitter, and should NOT be the CEO of Cogeco.

I know how I'm voting.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to El Quintron

Re: This story should make its way to more Cogeco customers

It won't be for much longer with the way things are going for them. Another Circuit City over again.

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

3 edits
reply to dillyhammer

Re: If they were my only option,

said by dillyhammer:

said by iamwhatiam :

Well... 9000 people, and counting, agree.

At first I thought, hell, this is just a bad company that gouges their customers with little or no shame.

Now I understand why.

Their leader is an idiot.

Mike

IMO Audet is a grade A jerk (I'm being polite here). I worked for COGECO back in 2000 - 2005 ish in the store front sales. It was awesome, and the pay/commissions were great. From 2000-2004 I loved the company.

I ended up leaving because that guy was in the process of completely destroying the COGECO experience for customers and employees. If you check the COGECO forums these days, you'll also see that a lot of the amazing NOC/Techs that used to help out there are gone. I have a feeling they left too.

I think Audet once said that employees were the greatest cost to the company.... lol So basically this guy has been waging a war on his employees and customers since early-middle 2000's+.

So his it doesn't surprise me this guy just expects people to empty their pockets to his shitty monopolizing company.

IMO he's a bad business man, and if it wasn't for his government sanctioned monopoly -- this company would have gone under or had to change their business model long ago. I hope some new start ups crack open

--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X