dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-14 08:25:27: When most large ISPs are subpoenaed by the entertainment industry for trading copyrighted files, they hand that data over without much concern for user privacy. ..

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

baineschile

Premium Member

Yay!

We can comment again.

I dont really have anything too insightful to say except; dont steal on the internet, as it will eventually be tracked by certain corporations.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

YAY!

I "Do" have something to add... Yay!

yay_Comments
@allstream.net

yay_Comments

Anon

i'm too am glad commenting is back.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Verizon doesn't care about book thieves

But I bet if the BitTorrent users were copying TV shows or movies on Verizon's pay-per-view offering list they would play along. A small book publisher just doesn't merit Verizon's interest and is an annoyance they don't want to encourage from other small fry.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties

Re: Yay!

I also have something to say.

About damn time!!!!!!
dudeman456
join:2005-04-29
New York, NY

dudeman456 to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Verizon doesn't care about book thieves

Even if they were copying the Pay Per View line up, it does not make business sense to dump someone paying you $100+ because you lost a few dollars.

Like in this case, Verizon would be getting paid $45 per customer, and then might end up lossing the money they get monthly from that account.
dudeman456

dudeman456 to yay_Comments

to yay_Comments

Yeah, I just noticed that. Its great!

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to baineschile

Premium Member

to baineschile
I don't steal on the internet. But I pirate. They are different.

/troll

habskilla
join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB

1 edit

habskilla

it's coming to an end

These lawsuits are coming to and end.

»digitaljournal.com/artic ··· e/324465

Once defense lawyers start using this, it's game over.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to thegeek

Premium Member

to thegeek

said by thegeek:

/troll

Hypothetical Question

BluRay title "The Grey" at BB for on sale for $12.99
The same film on Xbox Live is 1480 pts (Roughly $17)
But on torrent, its free.
I felt LIVE is now a rip off.
Should I buy the disc (only to watch it once) or get the torrent (4GB file, might take 3 hours to d/l with several seeds)?

Now,I saw The Grey in theater... I enjoyed it but not enough to warrant purchase to own. But I did miss the extended ending (longer with better explanation not in theatrical).

What do I do? Will Verizon turn me in if I d/l the torrent, watch the ending and then delete?
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

ID'ing e=book bit torrent users on Cell networks,

is really difficult to get right.

All the cell phone network data is flowing through a distributed network of NAT's, thus thousands of users all appear to be using the same IP address.

A bit torrent for an e-book(A couple of mega bytes) wouldn't take very long. A couple of seconds on a LTE network.

Thus there would be a good chance of identifying the wrong party, who in turn could counter sue and name Verizon for negligence.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to dudeman456

to dudeman456

said by dudeman456:

Even if they were copying the Pay Per View line up, it does not make business sense to dump someone paying you $100+ because you lost a few dollars.

Like in this case, Verizon would be getting paid $45 per customer, and then might end up lossing the money they get monthly from that account.

but if you don't do something them you encourage everyone to do it.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties

Well if you're smart about the way you pirate (i.e. don't use bittorrent and if you must don't use pirate bay) then you likely won't get caught.

Thanks for the reminder about The Grey BTW. I missed it in the theater and want to see it.
slimtim
join:2002-12-12
Cleveland, TN

slimtim to habskilla

to habskilla

Re: it's coming to an end

TPTB next step is a special chip implanted in your fingers integrated with computer keyboard..so they know who's at the computer at the time of the crime. Hmmm.. Minority Report here we come...

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster to tkdslr

to tkdslr

Re: ID'ing e=book bit torrent users on Cell networks,

There are so many free ebooks to be had from Amazon, Google Books, Baen, etc, etc, etc. why pirate. of course this is all a part of the big stink going with iBooks, and the usual we want more money crowd.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to cableties

to cableties

said by cableties:

said by thegeek:

/troll

Hypothetical Question

BluRay title "The Grey" at BB for on sale for $12.99
The same film on Xbox Live is 1480 pts (Roughly $17)
But on torrent, its free.
I felt LIVE is now a rip off.
Should I buy the disc (only to watch it once) or get the torrent (4GB file, might take 3 hours to d/l with several seeds)?

Now,I saw The Grey in theater... I enjoyed it but not enough to warrant purchase to own. But I did miss the extended ending (longer with better explanation not in theatrical).

What do I do? Will Verizon turn me in if I d/l the torrent, watch the ending and then delete?

Check if your local library system has a copy for loan. Also if you have a Blockbuster or NetFlix rent-by-mail account, rent it there.
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to thegeek

to thegeek
wrong. Bittorrent is safe in a few dark corners of the net ...using trackers you haven't heard of. Oh yes ..they do exist ... just not on your radar
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to dudeman456

to dudeman456

VZ would not hurt over a few dollars a month. For ever customer that leaves they gain more in its place.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
or it could be that Verizon simply sees it as better PR to fight the court order than blindly comply and let some other company pick through their subscriber records.

IMO every ISP should resist. if the big ones actually resisted and demanded hard evidence than there would be less media owner lawyers picking through people's records.

The Entire "war on piracy" has been bullshit from the start, it has not done a thing and has cost consumers and taxpayers money for nothing.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties

How about go rent it for like 2 bucks???
N3OGH

N3OGH to baineschile

Premium Member

to baineschile
Glad to see commenting back as well.

Karl should do a brief blurb outlining what happened to the site, the history of the data loss & recovery & open it to comments.

Kind of a meet & greet the first day back from a long hiatus.

I'm sure this Friday's open thread (first one in like, what a MONTH?) will be interesting.

Kinda like seeing who's drunk & posting on Facebook on a Saturday night!

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Give them a cut

I am sure Verizon would reverse their position if they got say a 20% cut of the settlements.
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by dudeman456:

but if you don't do something them you encourage everyone to do it.

they should NOT try to identify an infringer by IP address!!. first, many times they get the wrong IP address, and second, the IP address don't identify a person!. it could be someone that hacked in to your wireless, and then you could spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer trying to fight this, it HAS happened before!. they need to take a picture of the person using that account at the time the infringing takes place!. THEN something like this is valid.

Zehd
@sbcglobal.net

Zehd

Anon

CAN they even identify them??

This might be more complicated than you realize; one reason verizon may be trying to block this might be because they CANNOT identify the identities--if the IP's in question are the IP addresses of their cache servers for all their 3g customers. Even though they only requested the identities of 10 ip addresses, it's quite conceivable that all 10 are cache servers serving thousands of users each.

If it IS the cache servers in question, verizon would have to be provided with accurate timestamps, PLUS the source and target IP address and source and target port numbers. Only with all of that would they be able to--if they still have it logged (the log may auto-delete after 30 days or so--only reason they keep it even that long would be to assist law enforcement---because that would be a LOT of data to keep track of.) They basically have to keep a log of the every tcp stream (they might or might not log udp sessions) on their cache server (original source IP, cache server iP, original port number, target port number, cache server port number, timestamp).... and then they would have to cross reference the internal IP address to the PPP dial-up logs to identify the phone.