spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-15 08:33:51: Many cable operators haven't deployed DOCSIS 3.0 yet (especially on the upstream side), but that obviously hasn't stopped the development of the next step in cable broadband technology. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Just got Docsis 3 upstream update this week

Comcast just rolled out Upstream bonding in my area this week. Had downstream bonding for a couple years. It is taking years to roll out Docsis 3. Imagine how long before they roll out any updates to it. And Comcast is one of the more aggressive providers in rolling out D3.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

supposedly it's just patch for the docsis 3 gear that supported upstream bonding already.

To bad they won't start working at upgrading current plants to be 2200 mhz capable that would be an awesome thing.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

Still rocking SB5100

Comcast can't even saturate my old SB5100 here in Atlanta. I'm supposed to get 12/2 service but it's more like 8/1 on a good day. I'll buy a D3 modem when they actually can provide good service... maybe by 2020 or so.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

CSD8086

join:2004-03-12
US

1 recommendation

?

You may very well be getting 8/1 on a good day *because* of your SB5100. Buying a D3 modem will provide you with bonded downstream with four channels.

You're complaining about the traffic on a one-lane road. Move to the four lane road. While you don't intend on exceeding the speed limit, the additional lanes provide far more options...

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to fuziwuzi

You'll still have a 250GB cap in 2020, so what's the point?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to fuziwuzi

maybe sooner then that try when all analog is turned off.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to fuziwuzi

If you owned a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, you would get the full speed of the service you paid for, because your connection will be balanced between multiple channels. Plenty of people on many different cable isp's have reported this.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

Broadband really started with @Home

I seem to remember that cable modems were the first mass-market broadband. ISDN was a joke. Once @Home started taking off, DSL expansion and all the rest followed.

I found a CableLabs/DOCSIS history page here:
»www.cablelabs.com/anniversary/data.html

I actually can't remember if @HOME started offering service before DOCSIS 1.0, I think so.

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state

Cable Broadband started with @Home and died with @Home, since Concast took over they have done nothing but limit its potential with invisible caps and now the 250GB joke of a cap. I am just glad Verizon has upgraded me to FiOS and now I have a connection that can smoke anything Cable can offer now and in the future and all with no caps, they are also standing up to the BS fishing lawsuits instead of just giving in.

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT

Copper is Dead

FTTH is really the only solution!

Good Luck w/squeezing copper to the breaking point!

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

stop gap

I am pretty sure this is a stop gap measure. They are looking into having the next spec look like fttp but on coax. I know they are also working on how cable companies can use fiber to the home and control it with current docsis headend equipment.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

ftth is too expensive.

With the costs of FTTH, this is a much better alternative.

Cable is already able to do 100+ down (if I remember correctly Comcast demonstrated 1gps down on live plant?) Its not the capability that's lacking, its the need. 95% of households are perfectly fine with 10/1 service so investing millions for less than 5% who aren't happy with the 40-50/5ish services already offered isn't logical, yet.

The FTTH speeds dont look so impressive when you look at where cable is at when you figure the cost difference between the 2. Its only a matter of time until they increase the spectrum for the upstream. Its too noisy in the sub low band to do much more than a 64qam (which is already a huge challenge) so there going to have gain more spectrum.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
reply to somms

Re: Copper is Dead

said by somms:

Just an FYI, I have done plenty of speed tests on coax that are atleast as impressive as yours (including that sub 5ms ping time).

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to CSD8086

Re: Still rocking SB5100

said by CSD8086:

?

You may very well be getting 8/1 on a good day *because* of your SB5100. Buying a D3 modem will provide you with bonded downstream with four channels.

You're complaining about the traffic on a one-lane road. Move to the four lane road. While you don't intend on exceeding the speed limit, the additional lanes provide far more options...

So you're saying Comcast is advertising something they can't deliver. I'm promised 12/2 service WITH my SB5100 modem. The SB5100 is more than capable of delivering 12/2 service, I shouldn't have to spend more money for something I have no need.
--

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to mix

said by mix:

If you owned a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, you would get the full speed of the service you paid for, because your connection will be balanced between multiple channels. Plenty of people on many different cable isp's have reported this.

Again, Comcast is promising me 12/2 service WITH the SB5100 modem I already have. So, no, I am not getting the service I pay for and am promised and I shouldn't have to purchase new equipment to get what they promise with my present equipment.
--

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

1 recommendation

It's nice but...

...it's for the privileged few that can actually justify spending $100/month for high speed DOCSIS 3.0 service. Cable providers really need to work on bringing down the stratospheric cost of DOCSIS 3.0 service to mid-tier levels.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to BosstonesOwn

Re: Just got Docsis 3 upstream update this week

Awesome, yes. But very, VERY expensive (remember, line losses increase as frequency increases).

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to tim tim tim

Re: ftth is too expensive.

Here, DOCSIS3 plans are up to 250mbps, so very easy to do 100mbps.

And the Comcast user who can't get 12/2 with a SB510x, DOCSIS3 will likely help you, it might not. The SB510x modems will only use one channel, a number of them on your node doing lots of traffic, will saturate the single channel, DOCSIS3, will use 2-8 channels, spreading the traffic out to different channels on compatible modems.

Single channel is ~38mbps, so if you have 3 modems trying to do 12/2, that will work, but there is not enough bandwidth to do 4 modems at full speed on DOCSIS2 on a node.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to fuziwuzi

Hey now, he was just offering a solution to your problem. Spreading your bandwidth over multiple channels tends to give you more bandwidth, alleviating the low speed issue you have now...but that would reduce the number of things you could complain about

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to somms

Congrats, you live where most of us don't. For the rest of us, 50/15 or 105/20 (with the associated expense) are what we have to live with...with higher ping times even to the first hop *shrugs*.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to fuziwuzi

said by fuziwuzi:

Again, Comcast is promising me 12/2 service WITH the SB5100 modem I already have. So, no, I am not getting the service I pay for and am promised and I shouldn't have to purchase new equipment to get what they promise with my present equipment.

Remember the key words: UP TO

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

1 recommendation

reply to fuziwuzi

said by fuziwuzi:

said by mix:

You're complaining like you are sitting behind a router that can handle the traffic, but the 400mhz Pentium II that you're browsing with isn't cutting it on the data rate.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to somms

said by somms:

On a 1GHz system

Cable has 5.3Gigbit/s or 5,300mbps

11.7gig on 2.2GHz system.

Most people are limited by the computer hardware of 1gigabit

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to tim tim tim

Re: ftth is too expensive.

Cablelabs is looking into epoc to get 10gigabits/10gigabit speeds over coax.

Unlike telephone cable , coax is not the barrier for speed. Just like fiber its the equipment at either end thats the problem.

Also they are looking into basically having docsis over fiber. This will allow cablecompanies to roll out fiber to new construction while still using coax.

The cable companies do not have to upgrade to fttp anytime soon. Heck even Verizon stopped their roll out.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to talz13

said by talz13:

said by fuziwuzi:

said by mix:

You're complaining like you are sitting behind a router that can handle the traffic, but the 400mhz Pentium II that you're browsing with isn't cutting it on the data rate.

Sorry, but I have a Linksys E3000 running Tomato and an i7 3.4GHz with 8GB DDR3. Comcast just provides crappy service. It didn't used to, a year ago I got great speeds. Even discounting Powerboost, I would regularly get the full 12/2 speeds. But, after their "upgrade" to my neighborhood, speed declined. Calls to tech support get nothing, as long as they can ping my modem they don't care. My cellphone is faster, and some days I do tether to the phone if I really want to get something downloaded quickly.
--

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Hey now, he was just offering a solution to your problem. Spreading your bandwidth over multiple channels tends to give you more bandwidth, alleviating the low speed issue you have now...but that would reduce the number of things you could complain about

If you weren't getting what you pay for, no doubt you'd complain as well.
--

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to Anonymous_

There are no 2.2ghz systems, unless your talking about Directv.

Lark3po
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

said by fuziwuzi:

Remember the key words: UP TO

+1

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to somms

said by somms:

LUCKY!!, fastest we can get in town is 10.....thats it, what i wouldnt do for 50 gosh lol

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to tim tim tim

said by tim tim tim:

said by somms:

Just an FYI, I have done plenty of speed tests on coax that are atleast as impressive as yours (including that sub 5ms ping time).

Post your comparable upload speed and keep in mind that I'm paying $45/month for symmetrical 100Mbps FTTH: »www.xmission.com/utopia#more