dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-15 09:20:20: We've been hearing from sources for a while that the change was near, and now Time Warner Cable appears finally to be eliminating the Roadrunner brand from their product lineup. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

baineschile

Premium Member

Bundled?

Are these prices stand-alone, or bundled prices? I know they usually give like a 10% discount if you have TV too.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

TWC vs Google Fiber

Google Fiber will be starting up in KC in June, which is also a TWC market. I've been seeing fiber trucks in my hood - Google contracted Atlantic Engineering to lay fiber and trucks are all over the city. Am hoping I can order in June. Will be curious to see how TWC retention responds when I call to cancel service.
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier

Bundle Browbeating...

Of course, practically nobody in their right mind will actually pay these prices, which are outrageous. This is TWC's marketing machine driving people into bundles with outrageous a-la-carte pricing for broadband that makes their bundled service promotions look downright cheap in comparison.

"Road Runner" has been dead in WNY for probably close to a year now. It hasn't shown up on their regional promotions/advertising for a very long time and CSRs talk about "broadband," "Internet," or "HSI."

Turbo used to be $10 above standard, 30/5 $20 and 50/5 around $50 more. The light tiers are generally ignored in their marketing and I've never heard a CSR talk about them unless a customer asks.

What this pricing model does is gut the Turbo value proposition, if it prices at a $20 premium over standard. That is going to be a high hurdle for a lot of people, even with the minor speed changes. If they leave it at $9.95-$10 over standard as part of a bundle enhancement, it will sell. TWC's own financial reporting shows consistent interest in turbo adds for new customers, but that won't be that way for long if they double the price for it. I predict marketing promos will continue to slash this price downwards, especially for new customers.

All of this pricing continues the usual cable marketing trick that dumps on standalone broadband customers who are foolish enough to pay the regular price.

Time Warner customers can indefinitely avoid that by bouncing between 6-month Earthlink and 1-year TWC Internet promo pricing, which has been locked at $29.99 for standard service for at least three years in many markets.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 edit

Noah Vail

Premium Member

Glad to see it go. Hopefully rr.com domain will disappear.

Ever since the Brighthouse spinoff, the confusion between BH and TW networks has been a pain.

I suggest they nail the bird's coffin closed by eliminating the use of the rr.com domain, by both TimeWarner and Brighthouse.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Require DOCSIS 3 modem?

We are on DOCSIS 1.1 and ONLY 30/5 and 50/5 needs the DOCSIS 3 modem. So, TWC is going to tell Oceanic to throw away all the modems in the field because almost none of them can be flashed to support DOCSIS 3? That's nuts. Why would 15/1 (we don't have 20/2), or 20/2 need DOCSIS 3 modems? 15/1 is fine currently on DOCSIS 1.5. Not only the ridiculously high price tag, but being forced to give up a modem you love will deter many from upgrading beyond 10/1. I have a Surfboard 5100 that is over 7 years old now but I don't want another modem because Oceanic has no Surfboards currently and they won't let me buy my own, so, for this reason, and the outrageous price, I will just stay with the Standard tier. I wanted 15/2 for the reasonable $10 more but 15/1 is not worth $10 more and $20 a month more for 20/2 is getting too expensive.

I don't care what pitiful name TWC decides to call RR now. It will always be Road Runner to me. You'd think TWC could least show a tiny bit of creativity and come up with a decent name since they have decided to show what cheapskates they really are by ditching the Road Runner moniker just because it was costing them a bit of money to have a bit of class. Maybe Oceanic will grace Hawaii with a decent name. We did fight and win against TWC corporate when it tried to force the deletion of "Oceanic" from the legal name of TWC here in Hawaii. So, maybe we can have a contest or something to come up with a nice name to replace the Road Runner name. (Actually, it is simply "Oceanic" to most everyone in Hawaii...we'd like to forget that TWC owns Oceanic cable).

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

r81984

Premium Member

Meep meep....

Meep meep meep meep meep MEEP MEEP meep meep. Meep meep meep meep. Meep meep meep.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to Mele20

to Mele20

Re: Require DOCSIS 3 modem?

Since D1.x only allows 4 mbit upload on the node giving people 2mbit on Turbo I can see their point. Though, if they replace the modem I'm not sure that would be a huge deal.

I'm in central NY and they said if I wanted to bounce to Turbo (I'm on Extreme now) I'd need to swap modems. I don't need the 5*30 and 2*20 would be my sweet spot but for me its only a few dollars less. So I stay on D3 and have no contention issues like I suspect I would have on the only non bonded D1 channel
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to Mele20

to Mele20
They might require DOCSIS 3 to bond channels. This might help them improve network utilization. Depending on usage patterns, it might be better to have 300 folks share a single, fatter chunk of bandwidth vs. two groups of 150 share smaller but separate chunks of bandwidth -- especially as the package's top speed approaches the theoretical maximum of earlier DOCSIS, single-channel capabilities.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

Re: Meep meep....

said by r81984:

Meep meep meep meep meep MEEP MEEP meep meep. Meep meep meep meep. Meep meep meep.

You used the wrong verb. It's Meep meeep.

FliptheBird
@unc.edu

FliptheBird to Eagles1221

Anon

to Eagles1221

I just switched the TWCBC because of all of this mess with TWC residentiall; no static IP, one public IP, having to constantly renew promos. I talked them into a Teleworker plan for a lower speed at a lower price-no contract and no setup fee. I had extream 30/5 with the Ubee DW3611. They just switched the IP remotely to use same moden on TWCBC with only 7/768k service. Speeds are much more consistant on Business Class since the routing is different.

I asked residential if I switched down, could I keep the modem. They said yes when before they had told me I need to change modems. They are slowly allowing you to keep a DOCSIS 3 modem in markets where they have enough installed. I'm sure they are having to recycle them until they can buy enough to replace the older ones like I had before the upgrade.

This story doesn't mention that they are now charging a modem rental fee if you don't have a promo. They are also allowing you to use your own modem in some markets as well. Again, probably a slow change to match what companies like Comcast are doing.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: TWC vs Google Fiber

I am jealous! Verizon has started putting up fiber near me, but as we all know they aren't in a hurry to turn it on.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

$53 for 10/1?

The benefits of having a monopoly.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

And how much is Verizon DSL - they offer..but can't really supply 1*15 DSL and they force you into a phone line.

The "lite" is now 39.99 for 1mbit up and 1 mbit down. I would have like to see 256k/1mbit for 24.99 - that would be the sweet spot. its enough for Facebook and Netflix on a Roku (2 dot quality).
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Speculation is Google Fiber in KC will cost $70-$90 for 1Gbit and $50-$60 for maybe 100-300Mbps. Will be interesting to see how TWC responds, which is in the KC market.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

chlen

Premium Member

Just called in and locked it in.

I have not had television for many years.

My normal Road Runner on an account I have had since 1998 is 39.99 for 20/1.

I called them about this today and for 64.95 I will have 30/1 and cable with HD box and HD DVR. Pricelock is for two years. All I had to do is tell them I'm going to switch to VZ. I dont even have FIOS in my city, just suburbs have it here.

The reason I went with the TV is to watch/record the soccer games, I'm a big fan.

Otherwise just so you know, at least in my area, I was able to get a two year price lock guarantee on my existing cheap and fast uncapped service for two years with NO contract.

Call your TW rep now.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Are they on crack?

Who the hell in their right mind would pay those kind of prices for Internet access.

WOW, I thought it was bad in Canada, Yanks are getting it up the ass just as bad.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

It all comes down to better use of bandwidth on the node. DOCSIS 3 allows for a cable modem to bond or connect on multiple data channels so if they need to add more bandwidth to a node to handle more customers, they can just add more data channels instead of having to split the node which can be very expensive and time consuming. So it really comes down to the fact that DOCSIS 3 allows for much more efficient use of bandwidth on the cable.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277

Premium Member

Former Insight Customer

I am glad I dumped Insight when Time Warner bought them out and switched to Uverse.

My bill with Insight was already $170 with all 3 services and no premium movies. My bill with Uverse is $130 with Showtime, Starz, TMC, and Encore with tons more HD.

I knew once they took over prices would go through the roof.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier

Re: Bundle Browbeating...

Yep. There are other discounts too, though. I just ordered standalone, standard internet in the LA area for my Mom. It was $44.95/month, $39.95/month if she agreed to use autopay.

I have a feeling the increased price jumps between the tiers is leading up to bigger "discounts" for capped pricing.

fghfghfgh
@rr.com

fghfghfgh to Bamafan2277

Anon

to Bamafan2277

Easy choice

I don't know many people that don't hate Time Warner.
These idiots hiked internet $20 recently=---now another $5. They are making it easy to go FIOS.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

Time Warner's home-networking solution is a joke...

... I helped a co-worker add a few devices to his network at home. He has the Time Warner provided router and AP.

They do not let you change any of the options on this equipment. If you attempt to reprogram the SSID or change the encryption settings it disables the wireless interface. The SSID is always a random four letter code and the wireless "security" is WEP. As most people know WEP is completely insecure (you might as well have an open network) can be broken in a matter of minutes with software that is freely available.

One wonders if Time Warner will get sued when a customer's internet connection is invariably used for illegal activities and said customer is initially held responsible for them until the matter is sorted out. Defaulting routers to WEP while prohibiting people from using a more secure setup is completely asinine.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: Are they on crack?

Heck, Optimum West's basic package is $49.95 for a 15/2 and an additional $10 for 30/5.

What the heck is TW thinking, besides pleasing their stockholders?
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: $53 for 10/1?

even at $90 thats a great deal for 1000/1000. $50-$60 for 100-300m aint bad ether. I can't wait til I'm done with college and can move the 30 minutes away the fiber is. Bit of a drive back to college for when I start my second degree, but dang it that will be worth it!

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger

Mod

Differs in NYC

TWCNYC sent out a communication about this in the mail about a month ago outlining the changes. In NYC, Standard service starts at $51.95 and Turbo 20/2 is a $9.95 add on service.

I was on a grandfathered Turbo Plus plan ($59.95/month), which was due to only stay at 20/1. Luckily, a CSR was able to upgrade me to plain Turbo at no extra charge to take advantage of the higher upload speeds.

It still pains me to see how much the Extreme service tier costs.

iamwhatiam
@verizon.net

iamwhatiam

Anon

Bummer.

I guess Acme has finally won.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

4 edits

1 recommendation

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

We are on DOCSIS 1.1 and ONLY 30/5 and 50/5 needs the DOCSIS 3 modem. So, TWC is going to tell Oceanic to throw away all the modems in the field because almost none of them can be flashed to support DOCSIS 3? That's nuts. Why would 15/1 (we don't have 20/2), or 20/2 need DOCSIS 3 modems? 15/1 is fine currently on DOCSIS 1.5.

Quit spreading misinformation again mele. Your Moto 5100 modem is DOCSIS 2.0 and it's connected to a DOCSIS 3.0 CMTS (otherwise Wideband wouldn't be available in your area) and there is no DOCSIS 1.5. None of the older non-DOCSIS 3 modems can be ever flashed to DOCSIS 3 because it's more than just a code upgrade. It's a hardware change since more physical RF tuners are needed to handle the multiple channels and older modems only had single tuners for single channels use.

The DOCSIS 3 requirement is to better utilize the multiple data channels available due to the DOCSIS 3 CMTSs installed and allow for quicker roll out of IPv6. Continuing to allow new installation of non-DOCSIS 3 modem will just slow down upgrades.

Charter, Comcast, and others are aggressively changing out older modems for DOCSIS 3 models, TWC is somewhat late to do this. A couple months ago, Charter sent me a brand new Moto 6121 to replace my owned Moto 5101. No charge, no monthly rental.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Retail Rates??

Are these regular retail rates? I assume pricing (similar to now) will be much better when you add cable TV to the mix. I just upgraded to extreme last month and will be pissed if I have to go back to turbo or standard because the price will jump another $10.

BUT...they still have unlimited usage so there is something to be said about that.
swintec

swintec to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Are they on crack?

said by elwoodblues:

Who the hell in their right mind would pay those kind of prices for Internet access.

WOW, I thought it was bad in Canada, Yanks are getting it up the ass just as bad.

But we still have unlimited downloads, at least with this company, with pretty decent speeds.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Hopefully Maine will get DOCISIS 3.0 soon

I was lucky enough to switch out Grandma's modem with a brand new one that came with a battery, which is a must as she just turned 80 and needs reliable phone service. She refuses to do business with FairPoint and she keeps getting bills from them for $2.14 that says do not pay even though they switched to Time Warner at least three years ago.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to Bamafan2277

to Bamafan2277

Re: Former Insight Customer

I can't see any advantage. With uverse you get what? Shared with TV 12, 18, 24 Mbps (if you are lucky and close to the vrad) internet? With TWC you can order 50/5 Mbps.

What happens when your uverse promotion expires? Go up to $180/mo?

Uverse has 250Gb cap TWC is uncapped.

How about uverse's 'tons more HD' picture quality? Do you notice the severe macroblocking and pixelation?
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next