dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-15 09:20:20: We've been hearing from sources for a while that the change was near, and now Time Warner Cable appears finally to be eliminating the Roadrunner brand from their product lineup. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next
CypherX
join:2012-05-15

CypherX

BS

Yeah, we subscribe to 10/1 Wideband, and we got a nasty $20 surprise hike on the last bill.

When we called to ask, they told us that our deal ($29.99 a month) was a 1 year *trial*.

This is the same BS they pulled when they were comcast and suddenly pulled all but our local channels, saying that we should not still be enjoying our "1 year free trial".

Considering switching to Uverse, half the speed for 30 bucks for a year.

Total BS.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Crookshanks

to Crookshanks

Re: Time Warner's home-networking solution is a joke...

use at your own risk and the customer has options.

25139889 (banned) to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: $53 for 10/1?

You can pay the 1gig but won't achieve it in real word internet.

25139889 (banned) to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose

Re: Former Insight Customer

they still have insightbb.com
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to djrobx

to djrobx
I failed to mention that former 'other company' territories can and often do have problems but that is not the norm across the board it is rather the exception.

I've never seen a real $14.95 budget ADSL price, I've seen one year promotions for 14.95 plus the telephone line which after taxes and fees come to about the same as what TWC offers. For uverse (VDSL2) I've never seen low prices (after promotions).

We can go on about U-verse's technical limitations for days (and I'd largely agree with you!) but U-verse is VERY popular around here. My wifi is full of 2WIRExxx routers and we're always hearing from neighbors how much they love their new U-verse system. I think this is largely because their TV software beats the crap out of what TWC offers here (Comcast's old iGuide from 2004).

Funny the very popular neighbor that convinced many of us to switch to uverse is no longer popular. I guess he made a lot of money (sold us for 20 pieces of silver) switching our neighborhood to uverse. I agree that uverse's UI is very pretty and shiny but most of us don't watch TV for the pretty UI. Needless to say uverse is not very popular in our neighborhood as most of us switched back to TWC and in the last year to DOCSIS3.0 50/5Mbps.

If you read this link »ACSI Rankings: FiOS TV Remains Top Ranked TV Service [9] comments and this chart »/r0/do ··· b/TV.JPG you can see a big drop in uverse satisfaction from 72 to 68 (-5.6%) I'm sure that those numbers were even higher back in 2007-2009 (the years some of us had uverse) once people find out that uverse is not fiber that they were lied to and watch uverse's horrible picture quality its game over. Those uverse satisfaction numbers will continue to decline.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: Require DOCSIS 3 modem?

There is no DOCSIS version 1.5, that is... not according to the official DOCSIS worldwide standard set forth by CableLabs, the group behind the DOCSIS worldwide standard.

»www.cablelabs.com/cablem ··· dex.html

According to that page, there is only versions 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0. That's it, no version 1.5.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

quote:
Are they on crack?
Yes they are bud......

THIER CABLE AND PHONE SERVICE ABSOLUTELY BLOW!!!!!!

The internet is the BEST thing they offer!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky

Ah...I keep typing 1.5 when I mean 1.1. This is sadly NOT the first time I've done this and probably won't be the last. Getting old is so much fun.

I did have it typed correctly one time in my post but typed incorrectly twice. I'll edit the post.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune to b10010011

Premium Member

to b10010011

It's gotten even worse in CableOne territory.

I pay $53 per month for 10/1 here and I'm on a grandfathered plan.

$53 per month now will either get you 50/5 on a contract (after it expires you're basically stuck on a 5 meg down 500 kbit up plan; no joke)

..or it'll just get you the 5 meg plan with no contract. Again, no joke.

I suppose there's one benefit to TWC; no caps (yet...)

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: What a joke

said by 88615298:

$54 for 10/1
$74.00 for 20/2
$84.00 for 30/5
$104.00 for 50/5

Let's see Charter charges
$48 for 15/3
$58 for 30/4
$88 for 100/5

Good thing I live in a Charter area and not TWC.

Does your area have competitions? Mine doesn't.
antdude

antdude to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

Re: Meep meep....

MEEEEEEEEEEEP!
antdude

antdude to Friend

Premium Member

to Friend

Re: TWC Says Prices in Article Are Wrong

said by Friend :

I am told that Time Warner Cable is saying that the prices noted in this article are incorrect.

Wrong as they should be higher?

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

From a pure bandwidth requirement, the 20/2 service doesn't need DOCSIS 3 but from an efficient bandwidth utilization standpoint, it would be in the cable company's best interest to make people who have the 20/2 service to be on DOCSIS 3 modems. That way no one person can monopolize a data channel.

It all comes down to more efficient use of bandwidth on the cable.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011 to iamwhatiam

to iamwhatiam

said by iamwhatiam :

"If its your only choice for broadband then you are stuck with it."

(That's with the TV bundle discount?)

I don't think so, because I know people who are paying less than that because they have the "triple play" deal and I don't

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

4 edits

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

I wouldn't trust most managers to know how the DOCSIS 3 CMTS installed is actually configured. Now if it was the CMTS Engineer who configured the CMTS or headend tech who knows how it's configured, that's a different story. The only "concrete proof" would be a copy of a config file sent to your modem and/or the CMTS configs your modem is attached to, an email from some anonymous manager isn't either.

CMTS configurations are much more complicated than just DOCSIS 1 on or off, DOCSIS 2 on or off, or DOCSIS 3 on or off. The CMTS can run multiple channels with multiple configurations and dynamically switch between them. A modem can be switched on the fly from DOCSIS 1 to DOCSIS 2 to DOCSIS 3 depending on what the CMTS negotiates with the modem and the capabilities of the modem.

The CMTS may be running 6.4 Mhz upstream channels, 32QAM or 64QAM upstream channels, ATDMA or SCDMA upstream modulation, advanced upstream equalization, or some of the other features allowed by DOCSIS 2 protocols. Some of those features are visible to end users through the modem diagnostic pages (such as upstream channel characteristics), while others aren't.

My modem in TWC land switches between DOCSIS 1 channels and wider DOCSIS 2 channels as the CMTS tells it and I wouldn't know unless I saw it in the diagnostic pages. When I connect a DOCSIS 3 modem, it bonds a few of those channels and goes into DOCSIS 3 mode. If I connect a DOCSIS 1.1 modem, the DOCSIS 3 CMTS is still there and the modem only connects to the DOCSIS 1 upstream channels, but I still get some benefit from the DOCSIS 3 CMTS such as multiple channels the modem can switch between.

Companies (TWC or otherwise) don't normally install multiple $150k+ specialized routers only to turn off all the features that were paid for in the upgrade over the model it replaced.

TWC also doesn't seem to normally push config files that handicap modem features to less than what the CMTS tells it is available and can use, it makes configuring it on the CMTS pretty useless. I've never heard or read TWC pushing config files that instruct DOCSIS 2 modems to ignore DOCSIS 2 channels being offered by the CMTS. Modem bootfiles also can't enable non-existent features on a modem. A modem config file trying to enable DOCSIS 2 features will be ignored on a DOCSIS 1 modem, same for DOCSIS 3 features on lesser modems. The same goes for higher level DOCSIS protocol messages sent from the CMTS to lower level modems.

Anyway, you still have a DOCSIS 2 modem with DOCSIS 2 firmware connected to a DOCSIS 3 CMTS and there never was a DOCSIS 1.5. You're getting benefits from that DOCSIS 3 CMTS whether you realize it or not.

Fiber FTW
@federalreserve.org

Fiber FTW to 25139889

Anon

to 25139889

Re: TWC vs Google Fiber

Wow, do you work for TW?
Almost every person I know in KC who has TW hates them.
TW's customer's are beggin for change - trust me, I used to be one.
xless
join:2004-02-10
Dublin, OH

xless

Goodbye TWC, for now...

I've been playing the TWC pricing game for the past few years, calling every six months to get a discount. When I called for the discount about a week ago, they offered only $2/mo off and a (unneeded) bump to the next tier -- no further discount. Even the retention dept wouldn't budge. So a week later, I'm on U-verse.

It's only been a few days, but it's perfectly fine so far. I don't like the massive modem, the 250GB cap, or the 1-yr contract, but they waived the $100 equipment fee, and I'll save about $150 over the year (after the $50 activation fee). No phone or video service required. Assuming AT&T's reliability is good (has been for my biz clients), when the promo pricing is up in a year, I'll go with whoever is cheaper.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Fiber FTW

to Fiber FTW

Re: TWC vs Google Fiber

I don't work for TWC but I can tell you NOT all customers are begging for a change. Sorry- but you can't state that. You do NOT know all of them and a good chance is hear say from others. And trust you? Uh NO!

Also again; FiOS numbers show that customers do NOT like to switch. Should we bring up their numbers to see how many they have? And actually if you read the CV threads many customers have switched BACK due to costs after promos, and horrible billing. And you do realize that Google does NOT provide customer services for their products right? So what makes you think they'll provide customer service for this? And how do we know it will be US based? Outsourced to another country? Probably.

And remember; the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Google's service may look good on paper but you will NEVER achieve the advertised speeds on the true Internet.

25139889 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: Speeds are the same

Yes they do. Karl never points that part out.

25139889 (banned) to rebus9

to rebus9

Re: Way to kill brand recognition, TWC

its called payments to TW for the RoadRunner brand and image. You don't get that for free any more when you're NOT part of TW Media.
NiteSn0w
join:2010-12-24

NiteSn0w to Mele20

to Mele20

DOCSIS 3.0 is needed for anything above 10 Megabits because of lack of capacity under DOCSIS 1.0. There is no such thing as DOCSIS 1.5. DOCSIS 3.0 has channel bonding, and in most DOCSIS 3 markets TW uses 4x1 Channel bonding configurations allowing for a maximum potential of 152 Megabit/s downstream per node and 27 Megabit/s upstream per channel which gets shared by the number of customers on the node actively using their connection at any given time. TW usually deploys more than two upstream channels but they're not bonded. You can't flash modems to DOCSIS 3, DOCSIS 3 requires a different tuner that can connect to 4 or 8 channels simultaneously. You can buy your own surfboard modem and use it on TW's network look into the SB6141 it provides amazing performance and stability. Please keep your unintelligible comments to yourself.
bshampine
join:2010-04-08
Gouverneur, NY

bshampine to Mior

to Mior

Re: my fiber is cheaper and better!

hey mior what part of upstate ny are you from? Im located near fort drum ny and I get crappy speeds.
25139889 (banned)
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to trparky

to trparky

Buckeye Cable runs 20/2 on Docsis 2.0 and even on 1.1 if you have a super old modem.
pimpinparker
join:2005-06-14
North Baltimore, OH
·AT&T FTTP

1 recommendation

pimpinparker to b10010011

to b10010011

I'm paying $60 for 30/5 through TWC, what a rip off. I'd drop them if/when they do that here except, since it's a monopoly WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO GO?

First Verizon's killing unlimited data then TWC jacks up price and next will probably be putting a cap on the home data connection.

As time goes on aren't we supposed to move forward? We're moving backward by capping an unlimited resource. I love how they can just screw us and there's nothing we can do about it.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to 25139889

Premium Member

to 25139889

I'm not saying that it can't be done, you can run 20/2 on DOCSIS 2 but... it's a waste of bandwidth on the cable. All it takes is someone to saturate their connection for a long period of time and that data channel is as good as gone for the rest of the people using the same data channel.

That is why DOCSIS 3 is so good, you can connect on multiple data channels and spread the data across multiple data channels thus reducing the demand on one channel and potentially slowing down other customers on the same node.

Again, it all comes down to the fact that DOCSIS 3 allows for more efficient use of bandwidth on the cable.

TC
@sbcglobal.net

TC to xless

Anon

to xless

Re: Goodbye TWC, for now...

I learned the hard way... compare and switch every year to the cheapest dollar amount. I was on AT&T DSL paying $39/month for 3Mbps, I just signed up with TWC getting just the 3Mbps internet, no cable or phone service purchased, for $19/month! I have this price locked in for 12 months and will shop around again when my term is up. I am so happy my DSL modem started having issues and AT&T didn't want to give me a new one after being a 5+ year loyal customer. It was a blessing my modem started going out when TWC is running such a good deal. The only way to get a better deal is switch, or at least be prepared to when you call your current provider.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to NiteSn0w

Premium Member

to NiteSn0w

I made a typo and I apologized and corrected it. So, how come you are such a SHIT? We are on DOCSIS 1.1 not 1.0 or 1.5 that I mistakenly typed in my post where I ALSO typed 1.1 and then later corrected the mistake I made when typing 1.5. I suppose you are perfect and have never made a typo in your entire life. How nice.

You are the one who should keep your unintelligible remarks to yourself:

A: I am on Standard RR which 10/1. DOCSIS 3 is NOT needed! I will not be upgrading. I plan to stay on 10/1.

B: What does DOCSIS 1.0 have to do with this discussion? Nothing. Why did you bring it up?

C: I never said anything about flashing modems to DOCSIS 3. I think you can't read. I said that Oceanic told me that DOCSIS 1.1 modems can be flashed to DOCSIS 2 so that IPv6 will work with them.

D: Oceanic TWC has NEVER allowed us to purchase our modems. So, why are you saying I should do something that we not allowed to do?

You are the one making the "unintelligible" remarks.
Mele20

Mele20 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
I fully trust the persons (more than one...more than one position at Oceanic both here in Hilo and on Oahu - plant head, technical head, etc several of whom I have personally known (and been friends with) for as long as 37 years (since we first got cable in my building). I don't believe for one minute that they are lying and you, who don't even live in Hawaii, know more about Oceanic than they do.
travis5379
join:2005-03-28
Moscow, ID

travis5379

Upload

Talk about sh*tty upload speeds. 2 Mbps? Are you kidding me?

I'm on Verizon 4G and get 10 Mbps up

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

thankfully...

...I was able to finally dump TW last year for Verizon FiOS 35/35. I get 3 times as much speed, twice as many HD channels, and the hi def is infinitely better. Oh, for $35 dollars (and climbing) cheaper. TW can call it whatever they want but I call it a rip off.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next