spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-15 09:20:20: We've been hearing from sources for a while that the change was near, and now Time Warner Cable appears finally to be eliminating the Roadrunner brand from their product lineup. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24
reply to Mele20

Re: Require DOCSIS 3 modem?

DOCSIS 3.0 is needed for anything above 10 Megabits because of lack of capacity under DOCSIS 1.0. There is no such thing as DOCSIS 1.5. DOCSIS 3.0 has channel bonding, and in most DOCSIS 3 markets TW uses 4x1 Channel bonding configurations allowing for a maximum potential of 152 Megabit/s downstream per node and 27 Megabit/s upstream per channel which gets shared by the number of customers on the node actively using their connection at any given time. TW usually deploys more than two upstream channels but they're not bonded. You can't flash modems to DOCSIS 3, DOCSIS 3 requires a different tuner that can connect to 4 or 8 channels simultaneously. You can buy your own surfboard modem and use it on TW's network look into the SB6141 it provides amazing performance and stability. Please keep your unintelligible comments to yourself.

bshampine

join:2010-04-08
Gouverneur, NY
reply to Mior

Re: my fiber is cheaper and better!

hey mior what part of upstate ny are you from? Im located near fort drum ny and I get crappy speeds.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to trparky

Buckeye Cable runs 20/2 on Docsis 2.0 and even on 1.1 if you have a super old modem.

pimpinparker

join:2005-06-14
North Baltimore, OH

1 recommendation

reply to b10010011

Re: $53 for 10/1?

I'm paying $60 for 30/5 through TWC, what a rip off. I'd drop them if/when they do that here except, since it's a monopoly WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO GO?

First Verizon's killing unlimited data then TWC jacks up price and next will probably be putting a cap on the home data connection.

As time goes on aren't we supposed to move forward? We're moving backward by capping an unlimited resource. I love how they can just screw us and there's nothing we can do about it.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to 25139889

I'm not saying that it can't be done, you can run 20/2 on DOCSIS 2 but... it's a waste of bandwidth on the cable. All it takes is someone to saturate their connection for a long period of time and that data channel is as good as gone for the rest of the people using the same data channel.

That is why DOCSIS 3 is so good, you can connect on multiple data channels and spread the data across multiple data channels thus reducing the demand on one channel and potentially slowing down other customers on the same node.

Again, it all comes down to the fact that DOCSIS 3 allows for more efficient use of bandwidth on the cable.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid

TC

@sbcglobal.net
reply to xless

Re: Goodbye TWC, for now...

I learned the hard way... compare and switch every year to the cheapest dollar amount. I was on AT&T DSL paying $39/month for 3Mbps, I just signed up with TWC getting just the 3Mbps internet, no cable or phone service purchased, for $19/month! I have this price locked in for 12 months and will shop around again when my term is up. I am so happy my DSL modem started having issues and AT&T didn't want to give me a new one after being a 5+ year loyal customer. It was a blessing my modem started going out when TWC is running such a good deal. The only way to get a better deal is switch, or at least be prepared to when you call your current provider.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to NiteSn0w

I made a typo and I apologized and corrected it. So, how come you are such a SHIT? We are on DOCSIS 1.1 not 1.0 or 1.5 that I mistakenly typed in my post where I ALSO typed 1.1 and then later corrected the mistake I made when typing 1.5. I suppose you are perfect and have never made a typo in your entire life. How nice.

You are the one who should keep your unintelligible remarks to yourself:

A: I am on Standard RR which 10/1. DOCSIS 3 is NOT needed! I will not be upgrading. I plan to stay on 10/1.

B: What does DOCSIS 1.0 have to do with this discussion? Nothing. Why did you bring it up?

C: I never said anything about flashing modems to DOCSIS 3. I think you can't read. I said that Oceanic told me that DOCSIS 1.1 modems can be flashed to DOCSIS 2 so that IPv6 will work with them.

D: Oceanic TWC has NEVER allowed us to purchase our modems. So, why are you saying I should do something that we not allowed to do?

You are the one making the "unintelligible" remarks.

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to DrDrew

I fully trust the persons (more than one...more than one position at Oceanic both here in Hilo and on Oahu - plant head, technical head, etc several of whom I have personally known (and been friends with) for as long as 37 years (since we first got cable in my building). I don't believe for one minute that they are lying and you, who don't even live in Hawaii, know more about Oceanic than they do.

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

travis5379

join:2005-03-28
Moscow, ID

Upload

Talk about sh*tty upload speeds. 2 Mbps? Are you kidding me?

I'm on Verizon 4G and get 10 Mbps up

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

thankfully...

...I was able to finally dump TW last year for Verizon FiOS 35/35. I get 3 times as much speed, twice as many HD channels, and the hi def is infinitely better. Oh, for $35 dollars (and climbing) cheaper. TW can call it whatever they want but I call it a rip off.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

Well, with the recent changes that TWC has been trying to push it seems that they are trying to consolidate their Internet plans on a nationwide basis, at least in all the territories that they operate including your Oceanic group. If TWC has a hand in it, like the Oceanic group as you say, they will most likely end up being pressed into changes that TWC has been pushing to other territories that they run. This will include standardizing the hardware and configurations used in all of their footprints including all the headend equipment, CMTS, and node hardware in the field.

What does this mean for you as an Oceanic customer? Probably a more consistent service lineup that is more inline with the rest of the TWC company. Other territories are starting to allow users to own their own cable modems minus support for them. Most likely you will see the same option to do so in the future with the consolidation that they are trying to do across their markets.

I've tried to stay civil in this conversation and maintain my posts with facts, nothing else.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid

jp77944

join:2006-02-28
Kansas City, MO
reply to 25139889

Re: TWC vs Google Fiber

Well I sure am! Haven't seen the trucks in my neighborhood but can't wait.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:14

2 edits
reply to Mele20

Pay attention to your modem's data channels, I'm sure you'll find them changing occasionally. When it does make a note of the channel ID, frequencies, modulation type, and symbol rate.

Look for upstream modulations of 8, 32, or 64 QAM; symbol rates of 5120, and/or ATDMA or SCDMA modulation. Any of that is a sure sign of DOCSIS 2 being used.

BTW, I never said the people you were talking to were lying, I said I wouldn't trust them to know.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to 88615298

Re: What a joke

said by 88615298:

$54 for 10/1
$74.00 for 20/2
$84.00 for 30/5
$104.00 for 50/5

Let's see Charter charges
$48 for 15/3
$58 for 30/4
$88 for 100/5

Good thing I live in a Charter area and not TWC.

the actual prices for Extreme 30/5 and Ultimate 50/5 are not $84 and $104 dollars in Texas it is $70 for 30/5 and $99 dollars for 50/5.

TC

@sbcglobal.net
reply to travis5379

Re: Upload

Nope I'm not kidding - 3Mbps download and less upload. I honestly wouldn't notice anything faster for what I do. Bottom line I cut my bill in half by switching from AT&T to Time Warner. Would you switch if you could get the EXACT same speed for half the cost?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to kingdome74

Re: thankfully...

said by kingdome74:

...I was able to finally dump TW last year for Verizon FiOS 35/35. I get 3 times as much speed, twice as many HD channels, and the hi def is infinitely better. Oh, for $35 dollars (and climbing) cheaper. TW can call it whatever they want but I call it a rip off.

It sucks for me since I live in Verizon areas and FIOS service exists in the cities, but no FIOS (and DSL) in my neighborhood. Ugh!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I e-mailed los.support@twcable.com about this ...

... and a few minutes (wow, that was fast!) later replied with

"... I understand that you want to know if we are going to have rate increases.

I will be more than happy to assist you.

Year by year we have to adjust our services rates, but please do not trust any information that is
not listed on our official web site: www.timewarnercable.com

We do have any plans to increase the rates soon, but until the next year and as always we will
notify all of our customers..."

We'll see... :P

Fiber FTW

@federalreserve.org
reply to Fiber FTW

Again, wow NWOhio.
Your reading comprehension needs some work. I never made any blanket statements about ALL TW customers.

Here is an example of a blanket statement: "Customers do not like to change."

I really love how you present a pile of guesses and hearsay to support your statements. YOU do NOT know jack about google's as-of-yet completely unannounced customer service model for fiber.

Also, please stop bringing up FiOS. The statement you made that I was responding to was the blanket statement above about customer's not wanting to change, which as I have said is not at all true in this case. FiOS is NOT google, hence FiOS numbers PROVE literally nothing in the google fiber vs. TW suckfest debate. The FACT is, that TW has ruled the KCMO/KCKS area (which, being from Ohio, makes you grossly unqualified to make statements on the area's customer base btw) with an iron fist for quite some time and I CAN guarantee that there are plenty of their unsatisfied customers who are ready and willing to switch.

^^I can capitalize words too

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to iamwhatiam

Re: Bummer.

said by iamwhatiam :

I guess Acme has finally won.

Correction. Wiley Coyote has finally won. Acme was winning even when Wiley was losing because they were making money just selling to him. Acme may have more trouble now since Wiley has nothing to chase.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State

It's the 19th now.

I don't see anything different on TWC's web site?

google2

join:2004-02-04
South Beloit, IL

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

Re: What a joke

TWC doesn't have data caps from what I understand.

Konaguy
Live From Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to DrDrew

I highly doubt Oceanic would have all their subscribers turn in their modems for a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible modem. Most subscribers here are still on DOCSIS 1.1, so it would be a nightmare to force everyone to switch all at once.

Oceanic is buying solely DOCSIS 3.0 modems from now on. I believe they'll replace these modems whenever subscribers upgrade, etc.

pman

@rr.com

att competition

ATT uverse competition keeps the 10/1 tier at $30 here in los angeles.

Khrog

join:2012-05-22
Mayport, PA

check prices in France, England, Germany, Finland.

packages include cable TV channels and are between 26 Euros and 37 Euros per month. You can get up to 99 Mbps on non-peak hours for around 37 Euros. Much cheaper and faster than any company in the U.S.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to rcdailey

Re: Bummer.

said by rcdailey:

said by iamwhatiam :

I guess Acme has finally won.

Correction. Wiley Coyote has finally won. Acme was winning even when Wiley was losing because they were making money just selling to him. Acme may have more trouble now since Wiley has nothing to chase.

I read an article once that claimed that Acme was founded by Wiley (Head of R&D) and Road Runner (the Money Man). After Wiley had a nervous break down and attacked RR, RR allowed him to keep attacking to keep Wiley at work with new devices. That explains why Wiley can afford all the gimmicks - He is a co-owner of Acme.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1

Bulk Rate Price Change

I live in a Coop with Bulk Rate Pricing.

I wonder how my rate will change after my first year is up.
I think I just get $10 off whatever the current price will be.

Does anyone else know how this will work?

HateTWC

@rr.com
reply to 25139889

You must work for Time Warner. They SUCK to high heaven. The more competition we have, the better it is.

zoom314

join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

$42.95 for 3/1?

$42.95 for 3/1? Gee I save $10.12 a month by having DSL Extreme instead as they bill Me for $32.83 a month for 3M/768K, but only if Yer in an AT&T or Verizon area and only if one has Dry Loop as I do.

roflberries

@twcable.com
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

We are on DOCSIS 1.1 and ONLY 30/5 and 50/5 needs the DOCSIS 3 modem. So, TWC is going to tell Oceanic to throw away all the modems in the field because almost none of them can be flashed to support DOCSIS 3? That's nuts.

Baelfur

join:2009-08-04
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to freddy3980

Re: What cable modem?

Depends on what market you are in. So far the only docsis 3 modems that are offered in the California / mountain west markets are the sbg6580 and tg852g, both have built in wireless.

Even if you get a modem that is wireless enabled, you can bridge it and use your own router and should be fine.