spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-15 09:20:20: We've been hearing from sources for a while that the change was near, and now Time Warner Cable appears finally to be eliminating the Roadrunner brand from their product lineup. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

Bundled?

Are these prices stand-alone, or bundled prices? I know they usually give like a 10% discount if you have TV too.
xenophon

join:2007-09-17

TWC vs Google Fiber

Google Fiber will be starting up in KC in June, which is also a TWC market. I've been seeing fiber trucks in my hood - Google contracted Atlantic Engineering to lay fiber and trucks are all over the city. Am hoping I can order in June. Will be curious to see how TWC retention responds when I call to cancel service.
axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

Re: TWC vs Google Fiber

I am jealous! Verizon has started putting up fiber near me, but as we all know they aren't in a hurry to turn it on.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
TWC won't see a hurt. VZ has proven that with FiOS services. Customers do not like to change.

Fiber FTW

@federalreserve.org

Wow, do you work for TW?
Almost every person I know in KC who has TW hates them.
TW's customer's are beggin for change - trust me, I used to be one.

Toledo, OH

I don't work for TWC but I can tell you NOT all customers are begging for a change. Sorry- but you can't state that. You do NOT know all of them and a good chance is hear say from others. And trust you? Uh NO!

Also again; FiOS numbers show that customers do NOT like to switch. Should we bring up their numbers to see how many they have? And actually if you read the CV threads many customers have switched BACK due to costs after promos, and horrible billing. And you do realize that Google does NOT provide customer services for their products right? So what makes you think they'll provide customer service for this? And how do we know it will be US based? Outsourced to another country? Probably.

And remember; the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Google's service may look good on paper but you will NEVER achieve the advertised speeds on the true Internet.
jp77944

join:2006-02-28
Kansas City, MO

Well I sure am! Haven't seen the trucks in my neighborhood but can't wait.

HateTWC

@rr.com
You must work for Time Warner. They SUCK to high heaven. The more competition we have, the better it is.

Fiber FTW

@federalreserve.org
Again, wow NWOhio.
Your reading comprehension needs some work. I never made any blanket statements about ALL TW customers.

Here is an example of a blanket statement: "Customers do not like to change."

I really love how you present a pile of guesses and hearsay to support your statements. YOU do NOT know jack about google's as-of-yet completely unannounced customer service model for fiber.

Also, please stop bringing up FiOS. The statement you made that I was responding to was the blanket statement above about customer's not wanting to change, which as I have said is not at all true in this case. FiOS is NOT google, hence FiOS numbers PROVE literally nothing in the google fiber vs. TW suckfest debate. The FACT is, that TW has ruled the KCMO/KCKS area (which, being from Ohio, makes you grossly unqualified to make statements on the area's customer base btw) with an iron fist for quite some time and I CAN guarantee that there are plenty of their unsatisfied customers who are ready and willing to switch.

^^I can capitalize words too
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Bundle Browbeating...

Of course, practically nobody in their right mind will actually pay these prices, which are outrageous. This is TWC's marketing machine driving people into bundles with outrageous a-la-carte pricing for broadband that makes their bundled service promotions look downright cheap in comparison.

"Road Runner" has been dead in WNY for probably close to a year now. It hasn't shown up on their regional promotions/advertising for a very long time and CSRs talk about "broadband," "Internet," or "HSI."

Turbo used to be $10 above standard, 30/5 $20 and 50/5 around $50 more. The light tiers are generally ignored in their marketing and I've never heard a CSR talk about them unless a customer asks.

What this pricing model does is gut the Turbo value proposition, if it prices at a $20 premium over standard. That is going to be a high hurdle for a lot of people, even with the minor speed changes. If they leave it at $9.95-$10 over standard as part of a bundle enhancement, it will sell. TWC's own financial reporting shows consistent interest in turbo adds for new customers, but that won't be that way for long if they double the price for it. I predict marketing promos will continue to slash this price downwards, especially for new customers.

All of this pricing continues the usual cable marketing trick that dumps on standalone broadband customers who are foolish enough to pay the regular price.

Time Warner customers can indefinitely avoid that by bouncing between 6-month Earthlink and 1-year TWC Internet promo pricing, which has been locked at $29.99 for standard service for at least three years in many markets.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

Re: Bundle Browbeating...

Yep. There are other discounts too, though. I just ordered standalone, standard internet in the LA area for my Mom. It was $44.95/month, $39.95/month if she agreed to use autopay.

I have a feeling the increased price jumps between the tiers is leading up to bigger "discounts" for capped pricing.

--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by djrobx:

Yep. There are other discounts too, though. I just ordered standalone, standard internet in the LA area for my Mom. It was $44.95/month, $39.95/month if she agreed to use autopay.

I have a feeling the increased price jumps between the tiers is leading up to bigger "discounts" for capped pricing.

Only $44.95? I have to pay $52.99 per month, but modem is free since I am an old subscriber. Also, I don't use autopay. I am east of L.A.
NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19

1 edit
Customer certainly can bounce, but will probably pay the $2.50 modem lease fee with Earthlink. Earthlink only has Earthlink Max, which was 15/1, not sure if it was expanded to 20/2, comparable to Turbo. When switching back to RR, if doing with a representative, the modem rental fee normally applies.

Toledo, OH

Very true. Elink does NOT get powerboost in most areas nor anything above 15/1. If you can even get Earthlink in your area. NEO/WPA Elink is VERY VERY limited in being able to sign up. Especially if you're in an old Adelphia area.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3

1 edit

Glad to see it go. Hopefully rr.com domain will disappear.

Ever since the Brighthouse spinoff, the confusion between BH and TW networks has been a pain.

I suggest they nail the bird's coffin closed by eliminating the use of the rr.com domain, by both TimeWarner and Brighthouse.

Toledo, OH

Re: Glad to see it go. Hopefully rr.com domain will disappear.

would be smart but will cost more money than what it was worth. They spent soooo much money moving over Adelphia customer's to that brand and everyone else, they will never give that up. Especially since you do not see 2 letter domains anymore. RR is the only thing they have that is not tied to TW besides the TW brand that TWC will still be paying to lease. Also the only thing the domain is used for is their portal which redirects in most areas to Roadrunner.com and for email- which most people are crazy for using anyway.

They'd be smart to drop TWC and change their name from that.
Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Require DOCSIS 3 modem?

We are on DOCSIS 1.1 and ONLY 30/5 and 50/5 needs the DOCSIS 3 modem. So, TWC is going to tell Oceanic to throw away all the modems in the field because almost none of them can be flashed to support DOCSIS 3? That's nuts. Why would 15/1 (we don't have 20/2), or 20/2 need DOCSIS 3 modems? 15/1 is fine currently on DOCSIS 1.5. Not only the ridiculously high price tag, but being forced to give up a modem you love will deter many from upgrading beyond 10/1. I have a Surfboard 5100 that is over 7 years old now but I don't want another modem because Oceanic has no Surfboards currently and they won't let me buy my own, so, for this reason, and the outrageous price, I will just stay with the Standard tier. I wanted 15/2 for the reasonable $10 more but 15/1 is not worth $10 more and $20 a month more for 20/2 is getting too expensive.

I don't care what pitiful name TWC decides to call RR now. It will always be Road Runner to me. You'd think TWC could least show a tiny bit of creativity and come up with a decent name since they have decided to show what cheapskates they really are by ditching the Road Runner moniker just because it was costing them a bit of money to have a bit of class. Maybe Oceanic will grace Hawaii with a decent name. We did fight and win against TWC corporate when it tried to force the deletion of "Oceanic" from the legal name of TWC here in Hawaii. So, maybe we can have a contest or something to come up with a nice name to replace the Road Runner name. (Actually, it is simply "Oceanic" to most everyone in Hawaii...we'd like to forget that TWC owns Oceanic cable).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream

Re: Require DOCSIS 3 modem?

Since D1.x only allows 4 mbit upload on the node giving people 2mbit on Turbo I can see their point. Though, if they replace the modem I'm not sure that would be a huge deal.

I'm in central NY and they said if I wanted to bounce to Turbo (I'm on Extreme now) I'd need to swap modems. I don't need the 5*30 and 2*20 would be my sweet spot but for me its only a few dollars less. So I stay on D3 and have no contention issues like I suspect I would have on the only non bonded D1 channel

FliptheBird

@unc.edu

I just switched the TWCBC because of all of this mess with TWC residentiall; no static IP, one public IP, having to constantly renew promos. I talked them into a Teleworker plan for a lower speed at a lower price-no contract and no setup fee. I had extream 30/5 with the Ubee DW3611. They just switched the IP remotely to use same moden on TWCBC with only 7/768k service. Speeds are much more consistant on Business Class since the routing is different.

I asked residential if I switched down, could I keep the modem. They said yes when before they had told me I need to change modems. They are slowly allowing you to keep a DOCSIS 3 modem in markets where they have enough installed. I'm sure they are having to recycle them until they can buy enough to replace the older ones like I had before the upgrade.

This story doesn't mention that they are now charging a modem rental fee if you don't have a promo. They are also allowing you to use your own modem in some markets as well. Again, probably a slow change to match what companies like Comcast are doing.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
They might require DOCSIS 3 to bond channels. This might help them improve network utilization. Depending on usage patterns, it might be better to have 300 folks share a single, fatter chunk of bandwidth vs. two groups of 150 share smaller but separate chunks of bandwidth -- especially as the package's top speed approaches the theoretical maximum of earlier DOCSIS, single-channel capabilities.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
It all comes down to better use of bandwidth on the node. DOCSIS 3 allows for a cable modem to bond or connect on multiple data channels so if they need to add more bandwidth to a node to handle more customers, they can just add more data channels instead of having to split the node which can be very expensive and time consuming. So it really comes down to the fact that DOCSIS 3 allows for much more efficient use of bandwidth on the cable.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17

4 edits

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

We are on DOCSIS 1.1 and ONLY 30/5 and 50/5 needs the DOCSIS 3 modem. So, TWC is going to tell Oceanic to throw away all the modems in the field because almost none of them can be flashed to support DOCSIS 3? That's nuts. Why would 15/1 (we don't have 20/2), or 20/2 need DOCSIS 3 modems? 15/1 is fine currently on DOCSIS 1.5.

Quit spreading misinformation again mele. Your Moto 5100 modem is DOCSIS 2.0 and it's connected to a DOCSIS 3.0 CMTS (otherwise Wideband wouldn't be available in your area) and there is no DOCSIS 1.5. None of the older non-DOCSIS 3 modems can be ever flashed to DOCSIS 3 because it's more than just a code upgrade. It's a hardware change since more physical RF tuners are needed to handle the multiple channels and older modems only had single tuners for single channels use.

The DOCSIS 3 requirement is to better utilize the multiple data channels available due to the DOCSIS 3 CMTSs installed and allow for quicker roll out of IPv6. Continuing to allow new installation of non-DOCSIS 3 modem will just slow down upgrades.

Charter, Comcast, and others are aggressively changing out older modems for DOCSIS 3 models, TWC is somewhat late to do this. A couple months ago, Charter sent me a brand new Moto 6121 to replace my owned Moto 5101. No charge, no monthly rental.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.
majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

Cablevision didnt need docsis 3 to roll out 30/5 package when they first came out with that package. For 30/5 speeds only docsis 2 was needed.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by majortom1029:

Cablevision didnt need docsis 3 to roll out 30/5 package when they first came out with that package. For 30/5 speeds only docsis 2 was needed.

Sure DOCSIS 2 could support it with a limited number of customers like when it "first came out", but it's much more efficient and scalable to a larger number of customers with DOCSIS 3.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.
Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

2 edits
I have concrete proof that we are on DOCSIS 1.1 except for those who have 30/5 and 50/5.

I don't have permission to post the email. I know the Oceanic management person well, it is his job in Oceanic management to know these things, and if this is what he says then that is how it is and I have no reason to go further with it. He is not a poorly trained CSR giving out erroneous information where I might feel it necessary to seek someone higher in the chain to answer questions.

The bootfile can be changed to Oceanic's liking even if the modem is not rated for that DOCSIS version although I don't see how a modem rated for DOCSIS 1.1 could have the bootfile changed to DOCSIS 3 but it could to DOCSIS 2. It might need a firmware upgrade though first. Modems such as mine have the firmware upgrade already but are RUNNING AS DOCSIS 1.1. The firmware upgrade is so that my modem will be able to do IPv6 when that is implemented. Only modems that cannot support DOCSIS 2, after a firmware upgrade, (or the customer subscribes to 30/5 or 50/5) will be swapped out by Oceanic is what I was told by management. Currently, the CMTS is on DOCSIS 1.1 whether you want to believe that or not. Being that a crappy TWC owns Oceanic this could all change in an instant with no courtesy to Oceanic management as to informing them ahead of time. Oceanic is bitterly aware of this but already got punished for bucking TWC corporate a few years ago and won't try to do that again. My point being that as of CURRENTLY what I have stated is correct but that could all change quickly if TWC decides to not allow Oceanic any ability to run its system as it best sees fit. So, you could be right in the future but currently, and in the past when you have erroneously attacked me, you were then and are now wrong.

I know what Comcast is doing and you have mentioned Charter before and getting a DOCSIS 3 modem sent to you. TWC is NOT either of those companies. I won't accept any of the crap shit modems Oceanic is currently giving out. They don't have any Surfboards except the 5100's that are still in operation. I don't know if they are getting any in the near future or ever. I see no reason why my modem would need replacing (as long as it is working ok-Oceanic just corrected speed issues and I now have better modem stats than I have ever had before and Sam Knows reports SUSTAINED -non burst- speeds at or above the cap now) unless I were to subscribe to 30/5 or 50/5 neither of which I can afford or will ever be able to afford. Even 20/2 does not need a DOCSIS 3 modem but even $20 a month more is out of my range, besides, I don't need that much speed on download. I could do the $10 a month more but with the upload so low it was not worth the extra monthly fee. If prices go up in Hawaii then I may have to start doing what so many do on the Mainland and switch back and forth every six months between RR and Earthlink to get perpetual promo deals. Or subscribe to RR Lite.

Edited to correct the two three places where I typed DOCSIS 1.5 when I meant 1.1.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

There is no DOCSIS version 1.5, that is... not according to the official DOCSIS worldwide standard set forth by CableLabs, the group behind the DOCSIS worldwide standard.

»www.cablelabs.com/cablemodem/spe···dex.html

According to that page, there is only versions 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0. That's it, no version 1.5.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid
Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Ah...I keep typing 1.5 when I mean 1.1. This is sadly NOT the first time I've done this and probably won't be the last. Getting old is so much fun.

I did have it typed correctly one time in my post but typed incorrectly twice. I'll edit the post.

--

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

From a pure bandwidth requirement, the 20/2 service doesn't need DOCSIS 3 but from an efficient bandwidth utilization standpoint, it would be in the cable company's best interest to make people who have the 20/2 service to be on DOCSIS 3 modems. That way no one person can monopolize a data channel.

It all comes down to more efficient use of bandwidth on the cable.
--
Tom

Toledo, OH

Buckeye Cable runs 20/2 on Docsis 2.0 and even on 1.1 if you have a super old modem.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I'm not saying that it can't be done, you can run 20/2 on DOCSIS 2 but... it's a waste of bandwidth on the cable. All it takes is someone to saturate their connection for a long period of time and that data channel is as good as gone for the rest of the people using the same data channel.

That is why DOCSIS 3 is so good, you can connect on multiple data channels and spread the data across multiple data channels thus reducing the demand on one channel and potentially slowing down other customers on the same node.

Again, it all comes down to the fact that DOCSIS 3 allows for more efficient use of bandwidth on the cable.
--
Tom

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

4 edits
I wouldn't trust most managers to know how the DOCSIS 3 CMTS installed is actually configured. Now if it was the CMTS Engineer who configured the CMTS or headend tech who knows how it's configured, that's a different story. The only "concrete proof" would be a copy of a config file sent to your modem and/or the CMTS configs your modem is attached to, an email from some anonymous manager isn't either.

CMTS configurations are much more complicated than just DOCSIS 1 on or off, DOCSIS 2 on or off, or DOCSIS 3 on or off. The CMTS can run multiple channels with multiple configurations and dynamically switch between them. A modem can be switched on the fly from DOCSIS 1 to DOCSIS 2 to DOCSIS 3 depending on what the CMTS negotiates with the modem and the capabilities of the modem.

The CMTS may be running 6.4 Mhz upstream channels, 32QAM or 64QAM upstream channels, ATDMA or SCDMA upstream modulation, advanced upstream equalization, or some of the other features allowed by DOCSIS 2 protocols. Some of those features are visible to end users through the modem diagnostic pages (such as upstream channel characteristics), while others aren't.

My modem in TWC land switches between DOCSIS 1 channels and wider DOCSIS 2 channels as the CMTS tells it and I wouldn't know unless I saw it in the diagnostic pages. When I connect a DOCSIS 3 modem, it bonds a few of those channels and goes into DOCSIS 3 mode. If I connect a DOCSIS 1.1 modem, the DOCSIS 3 CMTS is still there and the modem only connects to the DOCSIS 1 upstream channels, but I still get some benefit from the DOCSIS 3 CMTS such as multiple channels the modem can switch between.

Companies (TWC or otherwise) don't normally install multiple $150k+ specialized routers only to turn off all the features that were paid for in the upgrade over the model it replaced.

TWC also doesn't seem to normally push config files that handicap modem features to less than what the CMTS tells it is available and can use, it makes configuring it on the CMTS pretty useless. I've never heard or read TWC pushing config files that instruct DOCSIS 2 modems to ignore DOCSIS 2 channels being offered by the CMTS. Modem bootfiles also can't enable non-existent features on a modem. A modem config file trying to enable DOCSIS 2 features will be ignored on a DOCSIS 1 modem, same for DOCSIS 3 features on lesser modems. The same goes for higher level DOCSIS protocol messages sent from the CMTS to lower level modems.

Anyway, you still have a DOCSIS 2 modem with DOCSIS 2 firmware connected to a DOCSIS 3 CMTS and there never was a DOCSIS 1.5. You're getting benefits from that DOCSIS 3 CMTS whether you realize it or not.
--

••••
NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24
DOCSIS 3.0 is needed for anything above 10 Megabits because of lack of capacity under DOCSIS 1.0. There is no such thing as DOCSIS 1.5. DOCSIS 3.0 has channel bonding, and in most DOCSIS 3 markets TW uses 4x1 Channel bonding configurations allowing for a maximum potential of 152 Megabit/s downstream per node and 27 Megabit/s upstream per channel which gets shared by the number of customers on the node actively using their connection at any given time. TW usually deploys more than two upstream channels but they're not bonded. You can't flash modems to DOCSIS 3, DOCSIS 3 requires a different tuner that can connect to 4 or 8 channels simultaneously. You can buy your own surfboard modem and use it on TW's network look into the SB6141 it provides amazing performance and stability. Please keep your unintelligible comments to yourself.
Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I made a typo and I apologized and corrected it. So, how come you are such a SHIT? We are on DOCSIS 1.1 not 1.0 or 1.5 that I mistakenly typed in my post where I ALSO typed 1.1 and then later corrected the mistake I made when typing 1.5. I suppose you are perfect and have never made a typo in your entire life. How nice.

You are the one who should keep your unintelligible remarks to yourself:

A: I am on Standard RR which 10/1. DOCSIS 3 is NOT needed! I will not be upgrading. I plan to stay on 10/1.

B: What does DOCSIS 1.0 have to do with this discussion? Nothing. Why did you bring it up?

C: I never said anything about flashing modems to DOCSIS 3. I think you can't read. I said that Oceanic told me that DOCSIS 1.1 modems can be flashed to DOCSIS 2 so that IPv6 will work with them.

D: Oceanic TWC has NEVER allowed us to purchase our modems. So, why are you saying I should do something that we not allowed to do?

You are the one making the "unintelligible" remarks.

--

roflberries

@twcable.com

said by Mele20:

We are on DOCSIS 1.1 and ONLY 30/5 and 50/5 needs the DOCSIS 3 modem. So, TWC is going to tell Oceanic to throw away all the modems in the field because almost none of them can be flashed to support DOCSIS 3? That's nuts.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

Meep meep....

Meep meep meep meep meep MEEP MEEP meep meep. Meep meep meep meep. Meep meep meep.

--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

••••
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA

$53 for 10/1?

The benefits of having a monopoly.

•••••••••

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

Just called in and locked it in.

I have not had television for many years.

My normal Road Runner on an account I have had since 1998 is 39.99 for 20/1.

I called them about this today and for 64.95 I will have 30/1 and cable with HD box and HD DVR. Pricelock is for two years. All I had to do is tell them I'm going to switch to VZ. I dont even have FIOS in my city, just suburbs have it here.

The reason I went with the TV is to watch/record the soccer games, I'm a big fan.

Otherwise just so you know, at least in my area, I was able to get a two year price lock guarantee on my existing cheap and fast uncapped service for two years with NO contract.

Call your TW rep now.
--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

Are they on crack?

Who the hell in their right mind would pay those kind of prices for Internet access.

WOW, I thought it was bad in Canada, Yanks are getting it up the ass just as bad.

•••

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Former Insight Customer

I am glad I dumped Insight when Time Warner bought them out and switched to Uverse.

My bill with Insight was already $170 with all 3 services and no premium movies. My bill with Uverse is $130 with Showtime, Starz, TMC, and Encore with tons more HD.

I knew once they took over prices would go through the roof.

••••••••
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Time Warner's home-networking solution is a joke...

... I helped a co-worker add a few devices to his network at home. He has the Time Warner provided router and AP.

They do not let you change any of the options on this equipment. If you attempt to reprogram the SSID or change the encryption settings it disables the wireless interface. The SSID is always a random four letter code and the wireless "security" is WEP. As most people know WEP is completely insecure (you might as well have an open network) can be broken in a matter of minutes with software that is freely available.

One wonders if Time Warner will get sued when a customer's internet connection is invariably used for illegal activities and said customer is initially held responsible for them until the matter is sorted out. Defaulting routers to WEP while prohibiting people from using a more secure setup is completely asinine.

Toledo, OH

Re: Time Warner's home-networking solution is a joke...

use at your own risk and the customer has options.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Differs in NYC

TWCNYC sent out a communication about this in the mail about a month ago outlining the changes. In NYC, Standard service starts at $51.95 and Turbo 20/2 is a $9.95 add on service.

I was on a grandfathered Turbo Plus plan ($59.95/month), which was due to only stay at 20/1. Luckily, a CSR was able to upgrade me to plain Turbo at no extra charge to take advantage of the higher upload speeds.

It still pains me to see how much the Extreme service tier costs.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

iamwhatiam

@verizon.net

Bummer.

I guess Acme has finally won.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

Re: Bummer.

said by iamwhatiam :

Correction. Wiley Coyote has finally won. Acme was winning even when Wiley was losing because they were making money just selling to him. Acme may have more trouble now since Wiley has nothing to chase.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

Re: Bummer.

said by rcdailey:

said by iamwhatiam :

Correction. Wiley Coyote has finally won. Acme was winning even when Wiley was losing because they were making money just selling to him. Acme may have more trouble now since Wiley has nothing to chase.

I read an article once that claimed that Acme was founded by Wiley (Head of R&D) and Road Runner (the Money Man). After Wiley had a nervous break down and attacked RR, RR allowed him to keep attacking to keep Wiley at work with new devices. That explains why Wiley can afford all the gimmicks - He is a co-owner of Acme.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

Retail Rates??

Are these regular retail rates? I assume pricing (similar to now) will be much better when you add cable TV to the mix. I just upgraded to extreme last month and will be pissed if I have to go back to turbo or standard because the price will jump another $10.

BUT...they still have unlimited usage so there is something to be said about that.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Hopefully Maine will get DOCISIS 3.0 soon

I was lucky enough to switch out Grandma's modem with a brand new one that came with a battery, which is a must as she just turned 80 and needs reliable phone service. She refuses to do business with FairPoint and she keeps getting bills from them for $2.14 that says do not pay even though they switched to Time Warner at least three years ago.

••••
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

Speeds are the same

TWC, at least in Central TX, has had those speeds for a few months now. Prices are a bit different, but I think they vary by region anyway.

Toledo, OH

Re: Speeds are the same

Yes they do. Karl never points that part out.

Mior

@slic.com

my fiber is cheaper and better!

Just got Slic FTTH and my 20/5 connection is 69.95. of course bundling will make it cheaper, but in upstate wayyy upstate ny time warner doesn't have docsis 3.0 yet. fastest speeds available were turbo 15. So yes I am very happy I have fiber and TMC knows where the door is

Toledo, OH

1 edit

Re: my fiber is cheaper and better!

and 99.9999% of the country will never see SLIC by your local ILEC let alone FTTH to start off with. and more chances than any- local USF fees probably paid for your FTTH.

Your FTTH company is NOTHING compared to TWC, 1,000 Customers? TWC has nothing to worry about.

"1,000 Broadband Customers!

As of May 1, 2012, Slic Network Solutions has reached 1,000 broaband subscribers and counting. We'd like to thank all of our customers for their continued patronage and look forward to serving new customers as our network continues to expand.

We are currently scheduling installations in Dickinson, Dickinson Center, Flackville, Knapps Station, Crary Mills, and Pierrepont service areas with the Plains Road and Star Lake (North) areas following.

On behalf of all Slic and Nicholville Telephone employees ... thank you all for helping us reach this milestone. ?
bshampine

join:2010-04-08
Gouverneur, NY
hey mior what part of upstate ny are you from? Im located near fort drum ny and I get crappy speeds.

freddy3980

@optonline.net

What cable modem?

I got a message the other day when I open my web browser saying that my modem (Toshiba, which I have been using for about 10 years) will no longer be supported after June XX and that I have to contact them in order to replace it. I want to know what modems are TWC giving, I hope I can get one without wireless...

•••

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

Time to sell the car and get used to hiking.

"I used to drive a Chevrolet
Now I'm marching everyday"

Prices like that, and I guess my family and I will have to enjoy ramen noodles as food.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

What a joke

$54 for 10/1
$74.00 for 20/2
$84.00 for 30/5
$104.00 for 50/5

Let's see Charter charges
$48 for 15/3
$58 for 30/4
$88 for 100/5

Good thing I live in a Charter area and not TWC.

••••