dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-18 14:27:33: We've been nudged by a reliable source with supporting evidence who tells us Verizon will be raising the speed of several of their FiOS broadband tiers very soon. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next
45612019 (banned)
join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

45612019 (banned)

What's with all the weird upload speeds?

This company just can't seem to do anything perfectly.

50/25? 75/35? Why are they half-assing the upload?

Just make the shit symmetrical and call it a day. We all know the capacity is there.

This is just another American ISP slooooowly inching out speed upgrades over the years and making it seem as if they are constantly upgrading their network when the capacity is already there.

Why does Verizon's fiber optic network deliver such relatively slow speeds when Japan and South Korea have had true symmetrical 1 Gbps for years?

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164 to Bootes

to Bootes

Re: Meaninless...

We had our town wired as of the first install. It's been years they still haven't wired older apts. New green builds yes not the one already built.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to maartena

to maartena

Re: Meaningless...

why not use the co-ax thats already running to each apt
since i know they use that for a lot of installs now
run the fiber in to the basement or were ever the co-ax comes in at

Anon69
@suddenlink.net

Anon69 to 45612019

Anon

to 45612019

Re: What's with all the weird upload speeds?

The capacity isn't there in markets that are on BPON. Google it.

somejerk
@verizon.net

somejerk to 45612019

Anon

to 45612019
Fios itself isn't symmetrical. BPON Fios 622 Mbps down and 155 up. GPON Fios is 2.4 Gbps down and 1.2 Gbps up.

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is BPON or GPON?
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to Peachtreeman

to Peachtreeman

Re: This is great

said by Peachtreeman :

Not only that but 300mbps service? I'm on 150/35 so SIGN ME UP I need more speed for work.

me too, no love for the top tier...ho-hum
serge87

serge87 to htin11

to htin11

Re: what about 150/35

Would also love to know what happens to this tier, at least for the price we pay for it. Also, the upload is already at 65mbps, it's not official but I believe just about everyone on this has it.
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer

June 18???

If this is true then how can it be that they haven't disclosed the imminent price hike yet? The June 18 date must be off by a few months....I haven't read anything official in terms of a service/price increase in my bills or anything else received by Verizon (then again, this is Verizon billing we are talking about but they've always been good in alerting about increases or changes in service in a timely manner).

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

Existing users will need to pay $10 for upgrade. No one will be upgraded automatically

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 edit

Noah Vail

Premium Member

This might be enough for me to order FiOS.

I've been on BrightHouse 40/5, even though I can get FiOS 35/35 for the same price.
And I host servers here, so you know faster upload appeals to me.

So why have I stayed with BH? They're a good company.
They support their infrastructure and treat their customers well.

This FiOS speed increase - it might inspire me to jump ship.
I keep hearing rumors about BH increasing their top tiers, but it never seems to materialize.

I'll be thinking hard about it.
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer to Onedollar

to Onedollar

Re: June 18???

said by Onedollar:

Existing users will need to pay $10 for upgrade. No one will be upgraded automatically

I see.

So when existing contracts expire then we all will have to pay more for internet but will be getting faster service, correct?
45612019 (banned)
New York, NY

1 recommendation

45612019 (banned) to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail

Re: This might just be enough for me order FiOS.

No doubt, Bright House has a way better TV product than Verizon. Bright House has more HD channels than any other provider in the nation, 150+. They are constantly adding new and niche networks instead of giving everyone who wants to watch something besides ESPN in HD the finger. Verizon's claim of being the "HD leader" is laughable when one looks at Bright House's lineup.

jarablue
Always be true to yourself
join:2001-06-11
Worcester, MA

jarablue

150meg tier? Yeah ok.

Has anyone really tried to get 150 from Verizon? You have to call about 100 times hoping to get someone that knows anything about it then when you do it's an act of god to get it installed. I really doubt by June these upgrades will roll out. I hope I'm wrong but I wonder what type of hoops I'm going to go through in trying to convince the reps at Verizon this is actually true.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to 45612019

Premium Member

to 45612019

said by 45612019:

No doubt, Bright House has a way better TV product than Verizon.

I don't own a TV.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to 25139889

MVM,

to 25139889

Re: Karl,- symmetrical???

said by 25139889:

then not really symmetrical. Surprised this website isn't calling for false advertising.

How dare Verizon give customers more than they ordered. Sue them!
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to jarablue

to jarablue

Re: 150meg tier? Yeah ok.

said by jarablue:

Has anyone really tried to get 150 from Verizon? You have to call about 100 times hoping to get someone that knows anything about it then when you do it's an act of god to get it installed. I really doubt by June these upgrades will roll out. I hope I'm wrong but I wonder what type of hoops I'm going to go through in trying to convince the reps at Verizon this is actually true.

I've had it for 8 months now. The upgrades are just simply going to be re-provisioning for the customers on the respective tiers that have speed boosts on June 18. I don't think it will be a physical hardware upgrade, but I may be wrong.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Re: Meanwhile at Comcast...

Oh man, that is SO true!!!
rebus9

rebus9 to SHoTTa35

to SHoTTa35

Re: Karl,- symmetrical???

said by SHoTTa35 :

What tha... the 35/35 plan is symetrical, it's moving to 75/35 - which is then not symmetrical anymore. Mentioning it at the first point was only to say that's what they are known as now. The post didn't say they were going to be "symmetrical" at 75/35!

Eh, don't worry. It will be 75/75 before too long.

mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288 to serge87

Premium Member

to serge87

Re: 150meg tier? Yeah ok.

Any increases are welcomed. Tomorrow I have my install between 9 am - 12 pm. Getting the 35/35 and would love to have that bump to 75/35...

Great news...!
45612019 (banned)
New York, NY

45612019 (banned) to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail

Now that's just embarrassing.
curls310
join:2007-09-26
Hillsdale, NJ

curls310

Still seems unclear if existing customers will get new speed

Unless I'm not reading the article correctly, it seems this is only for new customers... as a enticement for having a higher price. I'm not sure why it is assumed existing customers will get the newer speeds.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

Awesome

And I really hope the 150 mbits tier gets upped =). I am that user with dual 150 megabits so it would be nice to go back to 1. Of course not big changes on the upload side so if it goes from 150/75 to 300/75 then I probably will keep my second line and have 600/150 =)
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to mech1164

Premium Member

to mech1164

Re: Meaninless...

There are often conflicts with the building owners who have been locked into exclusivity contracts by cable, RCN... they don't want Verizon coming in and messing up the building with new wires run all over... or they have been screwed over by Verizon in the past and could care less if Verizon wants to come in. I have only been approached by one building owner who said he wanted FIOS run in the building but Verizon wasn't contacting him despite many of his tenants trying to order. I called the FIOS engineer for him but don't know what happened.

Of course, there is also the fact that Verizon is just not interested in FIOS anymore. They have stopped the roll-out into areas that don't currently have franchise agreements. They are also trying to lay-off techs in the already drastically reduced workforce. The techs that are still here are being assigned to moving copper customers onto FIOS (this is bad for a number of reasons). Simply put, Verizon should change its motto from 'We make progress everyday' to 'We'll get to it when we get to it'
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

death of symmetric tiers?

it seems like verizon is dealing a blow to symmetric tiers..

50/25 75/35 300/100? are the new norms which you WILL PAY MORE FOR...

still, if you've got a competitor which is charging less.. say 50/8 for $45 a month standalone... Verizon's not going to go out of their way to beat or match the price for 50/25.. just saying.. so the speed bumps do nothing to get new customers who can't afford to pay more over their previous offerings. I'll monitor pricing but nothing's really changed with these speed bumps, that is unless it spurs a company like cablevision to drop my $45 price down to $29.95

btw, once you go above 100mbits, you will probably need a new router & network card that handles gigabit, if you dont' already have that equipment... Verizon doesn't go out of their way to give you a router w/ gigabit ethernet ports, or upgrade your ONT unless your going to the above 100mbit plans which still cost a small fortune (car note payment) monthly..
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to elios

Premium Member

to elios

Re: Meaningless...

Most of the apartment buildings (at least here in NYC) do not have a home-run of coax from each apartment to the basement, they have feeders going up to closets on each floor and distribute the signal from there. Also, while the coax would work fine for video & Internet, the FIOS equipment cannot use coax for dialtone.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Bah!

How about deploying to other areas? I still can't get FIOS in my neighborhood even if FIOS is in the city. Blah!
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

New contract

I have to renew my contract and was planning to downgrade from 35/35 to 25/25 to save a few dollars. This information seals the deal, since I'll end up with much faster service, anyway.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to MovieLover76

Premium Member

to MovieLover76

Re: More of nothing

said by MovieLover76:

I have 35/35 and to say one only needs 15/5 isn't true in a house with lots of users that uses a lot of netflix, gaming and downloads I often see my router pushing over 25mbps for a sustained period of times, true one user may not need 35/35 or 75//35 for anything, but multiple users, especially if you have some heavy users can easily be needed to ensure everyone in the house gets a speedy internet connection. I'm looking forward to the additional bandwidth.

This is exactly right. People who make the claim that you don't 'need' x speed don't seem to understand that there are households with LOTS of connected devices. There are 7 of us in our house - and between the BD players, smart TV, computers, kindles, ipod touches, DSis, and other gaming systems (not to mention the fact that Verizon handles VOD via their IP feed), we're continually straining even our 35 Mbps download speed.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to Anon2459

Premium Member

to Anon2459

Re: So jealous...

Lusting after 300 lb men that live in their mom's basement?

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

rtcy to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Re: More of nothing

said by elefante72:

Realistically speaking one only needs 15/5. I have 25/25 because I do a lot of cloud stuff, and TWC is 30/5 which sucks for cloud. Cloud needs uplink...

Anything above that is for pure convenience. I can run VMW view on a 3MB link just fine, so cloud is not an issue).

And 15/5 is 15/5 -- there is no TWC lucky to see 5Mbs on a 15/2.

What would be disappointing is that they introduce caps after doubling bandwidth when everyone knows that bandwidth isn't a problem for VZ and even TWC in my area (considering only 2 neighbors on my block still have TWC )

My neighbor pays $160 for TWC (triple play, 5 TV) which is a bigtime rip. I told them to get fios double play, move phone to GV-> Cell and pay $85/month. Then buy some roku boxes for the kids. So save $60-$70/month.

If they cap the first thing to go will be phone, and then people will pull cable (go OTA or internet) and then they will be left wondering why they put caps in when margins are already sick (60%+).

In NY my phone only cost $4 in taxes (it's IP) so it was actually more expensive to do the double play (they like it that way). Sooner of later that is going to cause me to leave.

They have also dropped 5 channels in the last few months, and added zero. They were junk, but then 90% is junk so keep pruning.

dropping channel is what pisses me off the most. they force you to abide by the contract then they drop channels and tell you it's in the contract, and of course they force you into the 2 year, they sort of went back on their word to do 1 year. at least here in California
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next