dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-18 14:27:33: We've been nudged by a reliable source with supporting evidence who tells us Verizon will be raising the speed of several of their FiOS broadband tiers very soon. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3
curls310
join:2007-09-26
Hillsdale, NJ

curls310

Still seems unclear if existing customers will get new speed

Unless I'm not reading the article correctly, it seems this is only for new customers... as a enticement for having a higher price. I'm not sure why it is assumed existing customers will get the newer speeds.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

Awesome

And I really hope the 150 mbits tier gets upped =). I am that user with dual 150 megabits so it would be nice to go back to 1. Of course not big changes on the upload side so if it goes from 150/75 to 300/75 then I probably will keep my second line and have 600/150 =)
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to mech1164

Premium Member

to mech1164

Re: Meaninless...

There are often conflicts with the building owners who have been locked into exclusivity contracts by cable, RCN... they don't want Verizon coming in and messing up the building with new wires run all over... or they have been screwed over by Verizon in the past and could care less if Verizon wants to come in. I have only been approached by one building owner who said he wanted FIOS run in the building but Verizon wasn't contacting him despite many of his tenants trying to order. I called the FIOS engineer for him but don't know what happened.

Of course, there is also the fact that Verizon is just not interested in FIOS anymore. They have stopped the roll-out into areas that don't currently have franchise agreements. They are also trying to lay-off techs in the already drastically reduced workforce. The techs that are still here are being assigned to moving copper customers onto FIOS (this is bad for a number of reasons). Simply put, Verizon should change its motto from 'We make progress everyday' to 'We'll get to it when we get to it'
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

death of symmetric tiers?

it seems like verizon is dealing a blow to symmetric tiers..

50/25 75/35 300/100? are the new norms which you WILL PAY MORE FOR...

still, if you've got a competitor which is charging less.. say 50/8 for $45 a month standalone... Verizon's not going to go out of their way to beat or match the price for 50/25.. just saying.. so the speed bumps do nothing to get new customers who can't afford to pay more over their previous offerings. I'll monitor pricing but nothing's really changed with these speed bumps, that is unless it spurs a company like cablevision to drop my $45 price down to $29.95

btw, once you go above 100mbits, you will probably need a new router & network card that handles gigabit, if you dont' already have that equipment... Verizon doesn't go out of their way to give you a router w/ gigabit ethernet ports, or upgrade your ONT unless your going to the above 100mbit plans which still cost a small fortune (car note payment) monthly..
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to elios

Premium Member

to elios

Re: Meaningless...

Most of the apartment buildings (at least here in NYC) do not have a home-run of coax from each apartment to the basement, they have feeders going up to closets on each floor and distribute the signal from there. Also, while the coax would work fine for video & Internet, the FIOS equipment cannot use coax for dialtone.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Bah!

How about deploying to other areas? I still can't get FIOS in my neighborhood even if FIOS is in the city. Blah!
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

New contract

I have to renew my contract and was planning to downgrade from 35/35 to 25/25 to save a few dollars. This information seals the deal, since I'll end up with much faster service, anyway.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to MovieLover76

Premium Member

to MovieLover76

Re: More of nothing

said by MovieLover76:

I have 35/35 and to say one only needs 15/5 isn't true in a house with lots of users that uses a lot of netflix, gaming and downloads I often see my router pushing over 25mbps for a sustained period of times, true one user may not need 35/35 or 75//35 for anything, but multiple users, especially if you have some heavy users can easily be needed to ensure everyone in the house gets a speedy internet connection. I'm looking forward to the additional bandwidth.

This is exactly right. People who make the claim that you don't 'need' x speed don't seem to understand that there are households with LOTS of connected devices. There are 7 of us in our house - and between the BD players, smart TV, computers, kindles, ipod touches, DSis, and other gaming systems (not to mention the fact that Verizon handles VOD via their IP feed), we're continually straining even our 35 Mbps download speed.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to Anon2459

Premium Member

to Anon2459

Re: So jealous...

Lusting after 300 lb men that live in their mom's basement?

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

rtcy to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Re: More of nothing

said by elefante72:

Realistically speaking one only needs 15/5. I have 25/25 because I do a lot of cloud stuff, and TWC is 30/5 which sucks for cloud. Cloud needs uplink...

Anything above that is for pure convenience. I can run VMW view on a 3MB link just fine, so cloud is not an issue).

And 15/5 is 15/5 -- there is no TWC lucky to see 5Mbs on a 15/2.

What would be disappointing is that they introduce caps after doubling bandwidth when everyone knows that bandwidth isn't a problem for VZ and even TWC in my area (considering only 2 neighbors on my block still have TWC )

My neighbor pays $160 for TWC (triple play, 5 TV) which is a bigtime rip. I told them to get fios double play, move phone to GV-> Cell and pay $85/month. Then buy some roku boxes for the kids. So save $60-$70/month.

If they cap the first thing to go will be phone, and then people will pull cable (go OTA or internet) and then they will be left wondering why they put caps in when margins are already sick (60%+).

In NY my phone only cost $4 in taxes (it's IP) so it was actually more expensive to do the double play (they like it that way). Sooner of later that is going to cause me to leave.

They have also dropped 5 channels in the last few months, and added zero. They were junk, but then 90% is junk so keep pruning.

dropping channel is what pisses me off the most. they force you to abide by the contract then they drop channels and tell you it's in the contract, and of course they force you into the 2 year, they sort of went back on their word to do 1 year. at least here in California
rtcy

rtcy to 45612019

Premium Member

to 45612019

Re: What's with all the weird upload speeds?

said by 45612019:

This company just can't seem to do anything perfectly.

50/25? 75/35? Why are they half-assing the upload?

Just make the shit symmetrical and call it a day. We all know the capacity is there.

This is just another American ISP slooooowly inching out speed upgrades over the years and making it seem as if they are constantly upgrading their network when the capacity is already there.

Why does Verizon's fiber optic network deliver such relatively slow speeds when Japan and South Korea have had true symmetrical 1 Gbps for years?

my friend you are wise beyond your years. also ask why NY residents pay so little compared to the rest of us for the same re-run re-run channel after channel ?

true competition in NY with Cable companies that beat them punch for punch. as for Japan and Korea . well they value knowledge and what that high speed will do for their economy and businesses . here as Prince put's it in his song "you're on your own " survival of the greediest
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to MisterBill

to MisterBill

Re: New contract

said by MisterBill:

I have to renew my contract and was planning to downgrade from 35/35 to 25/25 to save a few dollars. This information seals the deal, since I'll end up with much faster service, anyway.

Nevertheless, as I recently posted ALL service levels are seeing rate increases. IMO, internet is all you really need. Get voip 3rd party (ooma, magicjack+, or someone else with a cellphone as backup).

BTW, the optimum BOOST 50/8 seems to be close to 59/8.2 as each company has tier fluff. Would be nice if cablevision boosts their (upload) speeds to compete Verizon's speed increases.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

But if I sign up for a 2 year contract I will not get hit with a rate increase. At least not for a while.
htin11
join:2000-08-10
Flushing, NY

htin11 to jarablue

to jarablue

Re: 150meg tier? Yeah ok.

said by jarablue:

Has anyone really tried to get 150 from Verizon? You have to call about 100 times hoping to get someone that knows anything about it then when you do it's an act of god to get it installed. I really doubt by June these upgrades will roll out. I hope I'm wrong but I wonder what type of hoops I'm going to go through in trying to convince the reps at Verizon this is actually true.

it depends on what your area is on. If you are on BPON they need to upgrade your hardware (ONT and etc). If you are GPON you can get it already. I'm on GPON and have 150/35 tier, even tho upload is at 55mbps

tmh
@comcastbusiness.net

tmh

Anon

Any love for those on a 15/5 tier?

Inquiring minds want to know.
yankeesfan
join:2003-01-14
Stafford, VA

yankeesfan to htin11

to htin11

How do you tell if you are on GPON or BPON?

Coov
@myvzw.com

Coov

Anon

verizon speeds

Just when the heck is verizon going to put fios in my neighborhood. Right now the best I can get out of their DSL is 2.7 MB down and about 700 kbps up.

squinn
@verizon.net

squinn

Anon

Fios and Voice2Go

My ? is will we let the cable company show Verizon Fios what is better with this new wifi service. We Nynex Bell Atlantic and know Verizon are the leader in voice service to the world and know Comcast has this new service. Will that say this company is going to the back burner to service our customer.

bsh
@verizon.net

bsh to 45612019

Anon

to 45612019

Re: This might just be enough for me order FiOS.

I'd be embarrassed to own or watch TV in 2012, personally.
htin11
join:2000-08-10
Flushing, NY

htin11 to yankeesfan

to yankeesfan

it depends on what ONT they install in your house, that's how you can tell.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3