spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-25 12:48:58: As we noted the other day, numerous broadcast executives have been whining about Dish's new DVR technology that will skip ads automatically -- a system that simply streamlines something most DVR users do anyway. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

I am a betting man

And I am betting we will get more ads on TV WHILE watch the program..like how networks promote their own crap in the lower right corner of the screen.

Or maybe just 10 second commercials, more often? Who knows.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
Or they'll find some way to fool the ad detection technology.

Either way, Dish won't get away with this for very long, at least not until it's time to renew retransmission agreements.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

Good

Given that the "broadcast television ecosystem" has been "destroying the fundamental underpinnings" of our economy since the '50s, I guess it'll be a race to see who destroys whom first.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Lame

When you pay for cable TV you pay for the commercials too. There's nothing morally wrong with skipping past the commercials you do not wish to watch.

I'd only sympathize with off-air programming which actually is paid for by commercials.
--
Romney 2012 - Put an adult in charge.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1
reply to baineschile

Re: I am a betting man

It means a greater reliance on product placement IN the tv show with cast almost doing a little mini live read for the product.

franknalco

join:2005-01-27
Littleton, CO
reply to GlennAllen

Re: Good

Touché.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

Go Dish

Consumers should welcome the destruction of the current television ecosystem. The prices are out of control and quality is degrading more and more.

My favorite TV entertainment, interestingly enough, does not include commercials.

I watch premium channel series like True Blood, Spartacus, Big C, Nurse Jackie, Boardwalk Empire, etc.

I also use Netflix to watch TV episodes without commercials. Some of these shows do not have the last 2-3 seasons available, but rather than keep up with these shows while they are still playing on the network channels with commercials each week, I've decided to watch other stuff until these are eventually made available to stream through Netflix.

Same situation with NFL RedZone. I find myself watching that over the local broadcast games, and I even start recording a sports event for about 30 minutes before I watch it, so that I can burn through the commercials until I finally catch up with the live showing near the end of the game/event.

Evidently, commercials are such an annoyance to me that I have altered my viewing habits to avoid them whenever possible. If they bug me too much, I'll do something else.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Uncle Paul

You known "Uncle Paul", I really use Summer's Eve. It makes me feel cool and clean, like a summer's eve.

--
Splat

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC

Tivo

So I don't know anything about the Hopper other than it can do ad detection to skip commercials. But they TV industry bitched and moaned about Tivo and DVRs and Tivo had a programmable 30 second skip function so instead of fast forwarding you could hit FF twice or whatever and be done with the commercials.

I don't understand why they are mad if someone is watching live TV they can't skip the commercials anyway so whats the difference between the hopper and the Tivo besides the end user needing to physically hit fast forward?
--
That was the wild boar.... Moo!
My podcast: The Banzai Beat »www.banzaibeat.com

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

1 recommendation

reply to baineschile

said by baineschile:

like how networks promote their own crap in the lowe right corner of the screen.

Another one of the driving forces that caused me to cancel my cable subscription and start pirating my TV shows.

Around the time I stopped watching TV, it was becoming common for that ad in the bottom right to expand to fill up 1/4 of the screen during the middle of your TV show. It would play an ad for 10-15 seconds, then shrink back down to the bottom right of the screen.

As if 4 minute commercial breaks aren't enough, now you have to interrupt my show for an intrusive ad as well?

Vote with your wallets

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
I've been voting with my wallet for a long time... Nobody seems to notice...

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA
reply to Uncle Paul
Speaking of which, I could really go for a Drake's Coffee Cake.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
reply to cableties
I know you do... Remember, I'm your special Uncle.

But could you imagine a male police officer getting into the squad car and the shot shows him picking it up from the arm rest where his female partner had just put down her daily stuff as they prepare to head out for the day..

Joe: Really Mary?
Mary: Yea Joe, I'm a female and I really use Summer's Eve. It makes me feel cool and clean, like a summer's eve.

Just keepin it classy people... keepin it classy.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
reply to Chiyo

Re: Tivo

I guess it becomes harder for them to sell the delusion to advertisers that their money is actually buying them something.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to buzz_4_20

said by buzz_4_20:

I've been voting with my wallet for a long time... Nobody seems to notice...

Oh, companies notice...and they pass the lost revenue off on the customers that are too stubborn to vote with their wallets. Eventually the prices will become too high for even those people justify keeping their service.

In theory anyways. Regardless if it will work or not, I am content saving my ever increasing amount of money every month for a service that is degrading more as time goes on.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to Uncle Paul
said by Uncle Paul:

It means a greater reliance on product placement IN the tv show with cast almost doing a little mini live read for the product.

Or we go back 60 years to the era of live TV where the action stopped so the actors could deliver a commercial before the story resumed.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

I wonder

If these cable,advertising,lawyer executive types have a DVR in their household.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

I never watch

I never watch the ads and shit anyways.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Uncle Paul

said by Uncle Paul:

If ad skipping becomes more prevalent, you are right, product placement within the show will happen. That also deals with piracy issues. You can't edit out ads when they are integrated to the shows storyline and dialog.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to aciddrink
Actually for those that "leave" often they go to another company due to promotions. Cord cutting isn't as popular as many claim. Even Telco TV customer gains are high. Those leaving cable go else where.

Toledo, OH
reply to jmn1207

Re: Go Dish

You do realize by doing this; Dish is only going to drive their rates up higher when contracts come up for renew. And you know who will be paying more? The Customer will be paying more. Dish fails to see that. And those broadcasters will raise rates for EVERYONE at that point. Dish is not making any friends with this. Especially when they're the ones recording the shows to allow for this technology to work. That itself will get Dish a no go.

Netflix will lose more and more shows- both tv and movies, as well. They're already basically gutted the NF selection and more of it will come.

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

2 recommendations

Idiots...

"Their wrongheaded decision requires us to take swift action in order to aggressively defend the future of free, over-the-air television."

Except that this isn't free, over-the-air television. It's a subscription satellite company where the customers directly pay for the programming they watch in the form of monthly fees.

They also conveniently overlook the fact that such features are a direct response to the ever increasing amount of commercial time that the networks keep cramming into shows. An "hour" show is barely 40 minutes. A "half-hour" show is only 20 minutes. Think about that for a second; An "hour" show contains as much advertising as a "half-hour" show contains content!

Back in the 70s, shows had a full title sequence, short commercial breaks with maybe 5-8 minutes of ads per hour and then full closing credits. Now shows have a short title sequence and the cast list plays over the opening scene, 20 minutes of commercials per hour, annoying ads down in the corner of the screen (I've seen ads for actual products!) and then the credits are scrunched and whiz by too fast to read so that they can show you ads for other shows. Plus, don't forget all the product placement in the shows which is often jarring and in-your-face.

Couple that with steadily rising cable/satellite costs that can easily see people paying up to $160 a month (phone, internet & TV) even without premium channels and is it any wonder that people are getting fed up with all the extra crap invading their shows?

TV viewers see commercials as a necessary evil in order to watch their shows. TV execs see shows as a necessary evil in order to get people to watch their ads.

Toledo, OH
Actually the company pays to show it on their network. It still is free to the public who does NOT wish to pay for Dish or cable. Those monthly fees are for copyright rights, and more importantly to give those customer service reps jobs and to support an entire distribution network.

And when you take those ads away from OTA TV- what happens to those networks and those new shows? they go away. Why? because those ads pay to support those shows. The same as if you were to buy a commercial during a certain program - it goes to pay for that- that the whole "sponsored by"

And this is more about Dish recording these shows and allowing for the ads to be skipped- that creates a copyright issue.

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

Dish is pushing limits.

Dish seems to be an outlier on the amount of pushback they are willing to do. They have Roku deal regarding distibution of international channels, they seem to be willing to let AMC,
IFC, WEtv, and Sundance deal expire at end of June due to price hikes of programming. Hope their current deals with Viacom,NBC, Disney, News Corp are long because am sure they are going to try their best to knock them down a notch next time those deal are up for renewal.

Rumor has it that they might even try to push ESPN to a la carte. That is when you will really see lawsuits fly.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Attleboro, MA

1 edit
reply to Rekrul

Re: Idiots...

Rekul, I agree 100%! Advertising has gotten way too intrusive, and it has led to a large number of people getting fed up. I refuse to sit through all the commercials that they show on TV. They need to scale BACK the commercials and actually devote more of their airtime to the programming that people WANT to watch.

You forgot to mention how they will often overlap the ending credits one one show with the beginning of another show! But hey, at least that frees up time for one more car commercial that we all want to see AGAIN.
--
One nation, under Zod!

Edit: Typo

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to Chiyo

Re: Tivo

There is software that allows you to automatically download a program from a Tivo to a computer, remove the commercials, and upload it back to the Tivo.

You can also just leave it on the computer and stream it to the Tivo as you watch it. So the computer does not even have to be in the same room or be a "media center PC" hooked up to your TV.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

I been doing it for years

I am already doing it.

Mine is totally free.

I use HD OTA using WMC and using my free Comcast basic cable and SilconDust tuner.

I watch everything on delay cause early evening no time.

jaywv30

@frontiernet.net

Put the actors to work!

Maybe the actors can carry around signs that promote the products.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
reply to pnh102

Re: Lame

The OTA (network) channels are the only ones being affected, so I'd say they're rightfully a bit upset.

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN
reply to RRedline

Re: Idiots...

Good example of this was this past season of Walking Dead. They put so many commercials on during that program that I don't think anyone didn't use a DVR to watch and skip thru adds. then it was followed by Comic Book Men (Kevin Smith crap) that had barely any commercials.