dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-05-29 08:00:34: T-Mobile owner Deutsche Telekom has thrown cold water on a recent rumor that the company is looking at an acquisition of MetroPCS, despite the fact that the two companies use incompatible wireless network technologies. ..

georgeglass5
join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

georgeglass5

Fine?

New York Citys T-mobile coverage has more holes than swiss cheese & is as bad as metro-pcs. It's this way of thinking, that keeps it at the bottom of the 4
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer

Typical CFO statement

It's the CFO's responsibility that T Mobile USA have a sound financial plan regardless of whether or not there has been any serious consideration of a Metro PCS acquisition. Maybe it was just a trial balloon but if it was serious the real decision about such an acquisition would have to be made by the CEO and Board of Directors of Deutsche Telekom. It would have to be considered a long term strategic move (there is no quick buck to be made) so opposition from stock analysts like Craig Moffett should be expected.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Disruptive Pricing Strategy

rofl. what a joke.
"fair cellphone plan" is an oxymoron in america.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer

said by dvd536:

rofl. what a joke.

It's no laughing matter when our country is faced with more of Verizon Wireless / AT&T Mobility wireless broadband duopoly and cable company fixed broadband monopoly every day.
Expand your moderator at work
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

I call b/s

between Metro PCs's $25 for talk & text and Virgin Mobile's $35 for unlimited data.. there isn't much room to offer anything worthy to be called disruptive pricing.

Metro PCS also had a 4 lines for $100/month unlimited talk, text & data for a while ($25 each).
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Coverage

It's still going to suck. It doesn't matter how cheap it is, many customers want service that actually works.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to georgeglass5

to georgeglass5

Re: Fine?

Yeah, they need to do something about actually providing the 4G service they are advertising. In this area they sell "4G" phones everywhere but there's no "4G" service so they all run on Edge which is too slow for any of the Android apps to work.
MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Columbia, SC

MrHappy316

Premium Member

I'm Good

I'm on their 100min 5 GB unlimited text plan, prepaid on top of that, I'm happy

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

There are no US Soldiers in Iraq...

Haha Just replace it with "There are no problems with T-Mobile"

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: Coverage

Agreed, TMO should have pushed for a better roaming agreement with ATT before the merger fell through, similar to that darn tracphones agreement with ATT. TMO should have said keep $1 Billion of the break up they just want unlimited access on most of ATT's towers where TMO currently does not have service even if the only coverage ATT would provide TMO customers is Talk/txt roaming only( as long as your phone does the 850 mhz band your good). Data would only available on TMO towers in there bands. That would have made a hell of a difference.
buddahbless

buddahbless to georgeglass5

to georgeglass5

Re: Fine?

True TMO needed to have asked for a much better roaming agreement with ATT even if only for talk and txt. Speeds of mobile data are great but coverage is king and trumps all. If you cant get the basics in all locations you no longer want the service there providing. The main reason people flock to Verizon and keep them at number 1 is coverage. This would have allowed TMO to focus more heavily on making sure there own current Tower footprint is upgraded to the fastest data network they can provide meaning as long as your on it your golden, all while still allowing there customers to have real nationwide coverage.

PS holes in NY city don't tell me that Im on my way there friday! last time I was there coverage was pretty good speeds however sucked. ( note I stayed most of my trip in Manhattan and parts of Long Island)
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to buddahbless

Premium Member

to buddahbless

Re: Coverage

The issue is, T-Mo still would have had to pay for the roaming, and the other problem is that there are a lot of places where T-Mo has GPRS and EDGE, and AT&T has 3G or HSPA+, and T-Mo would still use GPRS and EDGE in those areas, whereas AT&T subs would be on AT&T's HSPA+ network.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

That is a point to be made but im sure a condition of the roaming could have been at the price of peanuts if it was added in before the merger talks. However the bigger picture is coverage as long as TMO could use ATT towers for the basic talk and txt( gprs/edge) it would not matter to most TMO customers as most stay within the TMO tower coverage area, the plus side is as long as there is still some sort of coverage nationwide ( where there was not before) you as a customer semi-win.. It sucks when your TMO android phone goes into "emergency only mode" because it sees a ATT tower but has no roaming agreement with it so it will not register on it, while the person with the P.O.S tracphone next to you chats and txts away freely. ( Its happened to me).

There is one problem thats very true you have mentioned is ATT hspa+ coverage, and coverage thats being reframed from GPRS/EDGE to LTE/HSPA. TMO customers would lose that roaming area unless TMO starts selling all phones backwards compatible with ATT networks, which up until now there have only been a handful of headsets sold by TMO that are. ATT is already sending letters to there customers who only have GPRS/EDGE phones that the time to upgrade is soon.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

That's thinking voice and text centric. We live in a data world now, where Verizon 1st, and AT&T 2nd are winning.
stridr69
join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

stridr69 to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor

Re: There are no US Soldiers in Iraq...

Baghdad Bob....this guy makes Joseph Gobbels look like a rank amateur. Should have survived to serve on Obama's team. Oh well, stuff happens....

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Well, I like Obama and voted for him, maybe he might have done well with Bush? Political Spin Doctors aren't all that different I guess, regardless of nation or party lol